Switching To Cmh From Mh/hps For Veg. Will My Plants Grow In Size Substantially Slower?

• Thread starter SNAX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SNAX

SNAX

Hello! So I have vegged under both HPS and MH in the past. The plants looked the most happy but grew a little slower under the MH. Even though the PAR and CRI are higher under the CMH, the group of 315 CMH bulbs emit substantially less lumens than the HPS or MH. Are my plants going to grow (in veg) in size substantially just due to the decrease in lumens?

4plant

4plant

Are you going from a 400mh to a 315 cmh? If so I don’t think the rate of growth will change much but you might notice tighter internodes and more Even growth throughout the whole plant rather than just the tops banging out

SNAX

SNAX

Are you going from a 400mh to a 315 cmh? If so I don’t think the rate of growth will change much but you might notice tighter internodes and more Even growth throughout the whole plant rather than just the tops banging out
1000s to a bunch of 315s.

SNAX

SNAX

Also ignore lumen readings. Plants need par not lumens.
Thats what I thought regarding PAR vs Lumens. Someone just attempted to confuse me about something I already knew so Im cross checking. Im doing a 315 per 3x3 space for as much space of veg I need. Im doing a buildout on a new place soon.

4plant

4plant

A single 315 every 9ft2 will be awesome. If you have a big enough room you might look into the 630 double ended they can spread out and cover 6 x 6 easily

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Wow, maybe I am just high but, I had to read that like 5 times to understand. If I understand correctly, you are asking:
Mh/hps worked in the past but, with CMH having better spectrum but less lumens, will it be (at least) the same size?

I don't know but I have similar questions.

SNAX

SNAX

A single 315 every 9ft2 will be awesome. If you have a big enough room you might look into the 630 double ended they can spread out and cover 6 x 6 easily
I did look into the 600s but I was advised to use the 315s instead due to hotspots with the 600s.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In my experience with 1 Phillips 315w 3100k it is equivalent to about 450-500 watts of metal halide when compared to a 400w hortilux blue in a 3x3 space. I only tested one run with the 600w blue and it covered more area and grew plants faster for sure.

Also I needed sealed glass hoods with air cooling with a 400 mh but could run the 315 open in the same space. It is likely 20% cooler.

As a single lamp I like it in veg and have found that the 600w hortilux super hps was much better than the 315 in flower as expected with twice the wattage but using both overlapping gave the best results overall.

Hope this info is helpful. :-)

Top Bottom