synthetic nutes and soil. lost cause?

• Thread starter clinch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
clinch

clinch

trying to run organic soil with no synthetics and honestly do not like the whole dry amendment/timing game as much as just making a nutrient solution for each watering. it IS nice to just have to water for veg though, if using something like fox farms or coast of maine pre amended soils.

anyone out there run soil with lots of perlite and uses synthetic nutes?

mainly asking because I'm starting to run into water issues. my water is 400 ppm due to salt in the water. should i start using distilled water with calmag + nutes? basically been adding an additional 10-15% runoff to help prevent salt buildup. I also use recharge with every watering and EWC topdress every now and then.

Any suggestions?

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I made my own mix with 30% Coco 30% Perlite 30% Limed Peat 10% High quality EWC...
Im reusing it since 8 runs now.....i use a lot of aminos and enzymes and never go over 700ppm of nutrient solution (ive used megacrop and now since 3 run Masterblend)
I feed every watering with just a plain RO watering before chop! Never runoff....
I would say just make sure your soil doesent have any organic nute in it otherwise will create confusion when feeding

Never an issue except the a couple times during first days of transplanting the rockwool clones in it....few leaves burnd but the veggin started right away ☮️

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

basically been adding an additional 10-15% runoff to help prevent salt buildup
In my experience if you feed with an EC pen you wont have salt buildup....
I also use recharge with every watering and EWC topdress every now and then
If you start makin your Areated Compost Tea, you can avoid to topdress your mix cause EWC is heavy and muddy and i feel like in indoor you wana go as airy and oxigenated as possible but still rippin off all the benefit of adding it...plus the tea penetrates better the whole medium and spread the life faster......just my opinion

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

my water is 400 ppm due to salt in the water.
I can tell you right now this will be an issue no matter what you do. I am assuming you are running a water softener?

What the ppm of the source before the softener?

Buy yourself an RO unit rather than pay for and transport water. They are pretty cheap these days. Under $100 easy and if you can't find em for that just Google RO buddie made bu aquatic life

clinch

clinch

I can tell you right now this will be an issue no matter what you do. I am assuming you are running a water softener?

What the ppm of the source before the softener?

Buy yourself an RO unit rather than pay for and transport water. They are pretty cheap these days. Under $100 easy and if you can't find em for that just Google RO buddie made bu aquatic life

im pretty sure the whole house has softened water from the source. there is no way around it as far as I know.

curious as to what issues I will be running into with the water? I currently have an outdoor tester i've been watering with this water + general hydro nutes and ReCharge and they are 4 weeks or so into flower. when will issues start you think?

i'll look into RO, but what about using the water from my dehumidifer, its basically distilled pure water right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

im pretty sure the whole house has softened water from the source. there is no way around it as far as I know.

curious as to what issues I will be running into with the water? I currently have an outdoor tester i've been watering with this water + general hydro nutes and ReCharge and they are 4 weeks or so into flower. when will issues start you think?

i'll look into RO, but what about using the water from my dehumidifer, its basically distilled pure water right?
Yeah but could carry pathogens. I would treat it with h2o2 before using and clean it regularly.

Well if it's softened you have a softener. So find the softener and look at all the plumbing before it. Any garden hose taps bypass or are before the softener unless ther was a really special person installing it.

growsince79

growsince79

Its pretty pure water, but it could have mold spores, dust and other nasties on it. Rain can too...

clinch

clinch

alright i wont use that then.

what will happen to my plant that is being watered with this softened water? so far she looks really good. buds fattening fast and smell good. still have probably 5 weeks left on it.

i water about 1.5 gallons through a 3 gallon container, making sure to have lots of runoff. my thinking was this: if synthetic nutes need runoff due to salt buildup, i would just have to factor in extra runoff for the softened water sodium to account for it.

my only guess is maybe a potassium deficiency later in flower so maybe add more potassium each feeding?

thanks for the help so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom