Tacoing and deformed new leaf growth in plants

• Thread starter TerpiestToker420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

First run in coco loco moved from soil so I was letting them dry out between waterings and assuming since your not supposed to do this i have a serious salt buildup and flushed them out with low ppm nutes in the 300 range been feeding them 600 and they are 40 days old about fyi... Anyways runoff is coming out around 3500 😭 I flush and I flush but its still creepin.. Been watering every day now and not letting them get close to dry and now i have newer growth getting all twisted and kinda burnt, kinda at a dead end with this I hear your supposed to use ro water to flush but I just use city water and aerate it over night it's around 30ppm so figured that would be fine, what's the deal here should i try flushing again with plain water or plain water with Cal mag ?
Tacoing and deformed new leaf growth in plants

Tacoing and deformed new leaf growth in plants 2
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Was this coco supposed to be pre-washed of sodium when you bought it? Sounds like maybe it wasn't. Is the pH very high? In soils, sodium will jack the pH way up.

The only way to bring it down is to keep washing low concentration water through it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Flush with something like recharge or enzymes.

Then give this a try if you can.... if hand watering it may not be as easy to do.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I have resorted at times to adding a wetting agent like a few drops of dawn dish soap to help really break the surface tension get down into those gnarled up root masses especially with older plants.

I have heard anecdotally that a little sugar dissolved in the water will help strip the salt but I have never tried that

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Was this coco supposed to be pre-washed of sodium when you bought it? Sounds like maybe it wasn't. Is the pH very high? In soils, sodium will jack the pH way up.

The only way to bring it down is to keep washing low concentration water through it.
Im not sure i heard you didnt have to flush coco loco only with bricks of coco im prob wrong totally new to this, just flushed them all with 10 gallons of 200 ppm water with just cal mag, ppm came down to about 2500 ish better than it was, im gonna aerate 10 more gallons and flush again tonight with just nutes at like 2-300 ppm and see if that gets them in the ballpark... Another thing is my runoff is coming out at 6.1-6.2, when im putting it in at 5.8, if i lower the ph to 5.5 will that bring the runoff down? Or is it getting jacked up cause of the ppms being through the roof?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im not sure i heard you didnt have to flush coco loco only with bricks of coco im prob wrong totally new to this, just flushed them all with 10 gallons of 200 ppm water with just cal mag, ppm came down to about 2500 ish better than it was, im gonna aerate 10 more gallons and flush again tonight with just nutes at like 2-300 ppm and see if that gets them in the ballpark... Another thing is my runoff is coming out at 6.1-6.2, when im putting it in at 5.8, if i lower the ph to 5.5 will that bring the runoff down? Or is it getting jacked up cause of the ppms being through the roof?
Should help lower the runoff. What source water are you using?

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Flush with something like recharge or enzymes.

Then give this a try if you can.... if hand watering it may not be as easy to do.

Yeah gonna get some recharge i heard people getting good results with flushing with recharge in coco once a week to control ppms I just wonder about this stuff cause ive used it before and it jacks my ph up, they say the micros balence it out but i don't buy it i wish they made this a little more clear

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah gonna get some recharge i heard people getting good results with flushing with recharge in coco once a week to control ppms I just wonder about this stuff cause ive used it before and it jacks my ph up, they say the micros balence it out but i don't buy it i wish they made this a little more clear
Just PH adjust it

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Should help lower the runoff. What source water are you using?
Just using city water, it has a ppm of around 40 out the faucet I let it sit tho and air stone each bucket over night im using advanced nutes 3 part, i heard somewhere its beneficial to mix nutes in bucket and aerate over night, I tried this once and adjusted my ph the night before to 5.8 and woke up the next day to water and the ph drifted to 6.2 so I then again PhD it down to 5.8 and fed them... Almost wonder if this is necessary every time i water to not get that ph swing

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just using city water, it has a ppm of around 40 out the faucet I let it sit tho and air stone each bucket over night im using advanced nutes 3 part, i heard somewhere its beneficial to mix nutes in bucket and aerate over night, I tried this once and adjusted my ph the night before to 5.8 and woke up the next day to water and the ph drifted to 6.2 so I then again PhD it down to 5.8 and fed them... Almost wonder if this is necessary every time i water to not get that ph swing
Ok what ph down are you using? It sounds like you can use a bit more alkalinity to me.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Plants look ok. Don’t worry about your runoff ph too much. I would spray with cal mag.
high ppm runoff, Given how your plants look, just shows how dirty your Coco was. Just get 20% runoff with every water.

Mr. G

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Only way to know the ppm of the coco was an issue is to test it if you have any left over.

I also think testing runoff is important for soiless and especially coco. How else are you going to get an idea of what's going on in the media.

Its not just the runoff you need its the saturation level so frequency is just as important and coco should never dry not even the top

PK1

PK1

Supporter
@Aquaman checking run off is not the exact ppm number of the soil or coco. The ppm of the water going in must be deducted from the ppm of runoff.
would slurry mixture give an actual ppm number in coco?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aquaman checking run off is not the exact ppm number of the soil or coco. The ppm of the water going in must be reduced from the ppm of runoff.
would slurry mixture give an actual ppm number in coco?
To test coco initially yes... a slurry. But the CEC is much different than soil so the runoff is absolutely a good indicator of what's going on in the media.... much like hydroton or rockwool... all of which should have runoff monitored.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I’m just going by looking at the girls. They look rather good. I don’t want the grower to think he has a bigger problem than he really has.

Mr.G

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m just going by looking at the girls. They look rather good. I don’t want the grower to think he has a bigger problem than he really has.

Mr.G
Absolutely... if they look good then much less of an issue but should still take precautions.

I feel like 200 ppm flush will need followed by a feed right after of around 600ish ppm.

Flushes and feeds should all be temp and ph adjusted.

Increasing the frequency and getting decent run off will help correct the issue over time and prevent it in the future.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Absolutely... if they look good then much less of an issue but should still take precautions.

I feel like 200 ppm flush will need followed by a feed right after of around 600ish ppm.

Flushes and feeds should all be temp and ph adjusted.

Increasing the frequency and getting decent run off will help correct the issue over time and prevent it in the future.
Yup. A+. 🔥

Top Bottom