Taking cuts for sex determination

• Thread starter MI420Farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Greetings fam!!

I'm about ready to take some cuts from regular seed plants. They're into 4 weeks of veg. I plan on taking 2 cuts from both plants. One cut from each is to determine the sex. I've read on there that some will put in a cup of water in the flower tent with the cuts which pushes it to 12/12 and they can tell within 2 weeks time, the sex of the plant. I don't care about the cuts to determine the sex. Once I know, I intend on throwing them away.
Also, what amount of light is preferable in everyone's experience for new cuts? 18hrs on? 20hrs? 24hrs? It'd be a great space saver if I could just put the seedling and cuts dome tray right into the veg room where the lights are set at 18 on/6 off.

Thank you for your suggestions and wisdom everyone!!

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Why even bother taking cuts to show sex? You should be able to sex your plants in veg. You're already @ 4 weeks and they should be close to showing preflowers.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Why even bother taking cuts to show sex? You should be able to sex your plants in veg. You're already @ 4 weeks and they should be close to showing preflowers.
I was hoping for that scenario but they're not showing yet and I've got to keep room going.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I was hoping for that scenario but they're not showing yet and I've got to keep room going.
Gotcha. Yes, some strains i've grown show earlier than others. Most i've encountered showed sex by 6 weeks without intervention with a few stubborn exceptions.

Are you planning on flowering the plants, or one of the two cuttings you're taking from each?

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Gotcha. Yes, some strains i've grown show earlier than others. Most i've encountered showed sex by 6 weeks without intervention with a few stubborn exceptions.

Are you planning on flowering the plants, or one of the two cuttings you're taking from each?
Yea if I let these monsters go 6 weeks I'm going to have more problems than sex determination lol. I intend on rooting one of each of the cuts and pushing the other 2 directly into the flower room on the 11/13 lighting to determine the sex.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Ha! Sounds like a solid plan..

Why not just put the plants directly into 12/12 and root/veg all of the clones? Then you can just toss the males (if any) when the plants in flower show sex and just keep the females clones for the next run.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Ha! Sounds like a solid plan..

Why not just put the plants directly into 12/12 and root/veg all of the clones? Then you can just toss the males (if any) when the plants in flower show sex and just keep the females clones for the next run.
I want to take more cuts from the vegging plants so I'm letting them veg out more. If they end up being male then they gotta go

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Ah, I see.. I've never personally tried or had the need to sex an unrooted clone. Why not just give it a shot and see what happens? Put the clones into your flower tent @ 12/12 and use weak indirect lighting and whatever method you use to clone. I'd be curious to see if it works. Ha!

My apologies if i'm missing something.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Ah, I see.. I've never personally tried or had the need to sex an unrooted clone. Why not just give it a shot and see what happens? Put the clones into your flower tent @ 12/12 and use weak indirect lighting and whatever method you use to clone. I'd be curious to see if it works. Ha!

My apologies if i'm missing something.
Thats what I'm planning on but I'm only using one cut to determine. The other one I want to veg out for another 4 weeks or so.

elduderito

elduderito

I think you'll see the pre-flowers soon enough ... just take as many cuttings of each plant and don't bother trying to sex them in the flower tent, you can put them at 18/6 in your veg tent... also worth mentioning: you can take clones during first 2 weeks of flower without any problems

PhotonicsNerd79

PhotonicsNerd79

Greetings fam!!

I'm about ready to take some cuts from regular seed plants. They're into 4 weeks of veg. I plan on taking 2 cuts from both plants. One cut from each is to determine the sex. I've read on there that some will put in a cup of water in the flower tent with the cuts which pushes it to 12/12 and they can tell within 2 weeks time, the sex of the plant. I don't care about the cuts to determine the sex. Once I know, I intend on throwing them away.
Also, what amount of light is preferable in everyone's experience for new cuts? 18hrs on? 20hrs? 24hrs? It'd be a great space saver if I could just put the seedling and cuts dome tray right into the veg room where the lights are set at 18 on/6 off.

Thank you for your suggestions and wisdom everyone!!
I used to do clones from seedlings to determine sex way ahead of time. Say within 2 weeks from day one I knew. Then, I had the clever idea of starting the bloom cycle after the 2nd week of sustained vegetation;
meaning the plant had vigor, I had topped the 6th node set and trimmed/stripped-down the bottom 3 branch set nodes; therefore giving me 3 pairs of U branched nodes trained upwards yet distant from other buds. This combination yields 21g to an ounce per plant in 45 days only! Smaller plants of less than 2 ft in height although exceptional canopy light reach and quicker tighter bud formation at optimal conditions within strain limitations. Light: Atreum Hydra-1000
G-Tent: Mars Hydro 2'x2'x4'8"
Ventillation: Nasa's EcoFlow Air System in closed circuit + Mini-clip 180° Windmill
Medium: Peatmoss/Pearlite/Organic Soil
Mx/Ph: 6.7 Mx/rH: 40% +NPK: 10-8-8 Added/2wks during flowering
Tried this technique with Ultra Sour, Green Crack, Gorilla Glue #4, and Amnesia Haze, and it yielded some of the best produce. It takes time to get the right ventilation pattern in a grow tent though ... and to think about it, That really helped the whole process! I start from ground up (meaning inline fan points in an ascending position/upright as if it were to fly to the moon... Wait, not quite so, more like... it's sucking the air from below to shoot it up and back into the tent through the carbon filter.

Top Bottom