Taking On Closed Loop Processing For The First Time.

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
You truely have no idea what I’m talking about do you?

Which is why i started this post by asking for help to understand. If it is important that i understand, then kindly explain why something is a bad idea. Just telling someone that what they are doing is wrong, does not help if you don't tell them why it won't work.

After reading your post i calculated the volume of the Y-tube vs the Volume of the 3 in tube and realized that the diff was more than a cans worth of butane. I also found out that the open space would allow the gas to expand and warm up. This would cause the material to warm up "possibly" raising the temp to the point where the waxes and chlorophyll are released. This is of concern to me. If i am making incorrect and/or dangerous assumptions then please correct my understanding and tell me what in your experience, I should be doing and why.

Advice was my entire reason for picking the site.

Thanks

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
You truely have no idea what I’m talking about do you?

I told you my goal was to understand. I did some more research based on your description of sight glasses and tops. This is what i think you are talking about (see below). I could see buying this for my next rig. And now i better understand your admonishment to go with the larger spools, etc.; there simply is not enough space on the 4". After talking to the "finance minister" I agreed to stick with the smaller rig while learning. However i will be creating my wish-list as I improve my skill & product.

Still need to do lots more research on the clamping method. It looks like stand hp tri-clamp fittings however i don't see them in this photo.

If this is not what you had in mind please send me a photo of your rig if you don't mind. That would help a lot. Then I can as questions on what I don't understand.

I would like to make the same offer to anyone in the community. Please post photos of your rig (or parts thereof) and let me know why you have deviated from the "normal" designs found online. Sometimes it is a matter of personal style & taste; other times it is a matter of quality & safety. I still want to hear from all who have been down this road. I would like to hear about the successes and the failures as long as you can explain what you learned and maybe, just maybe we can all make a better product by learning from each other.

Peace, Out!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Upload 2018 7 14 17 3 1

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
rubber bungies will snap in the -30 cold be careful man. I see danger in your future

Agreed! I had not thought about frozen rubber bands breaking.... i have seen where some state laws require restraint chains for the pros. Seems like a much better idea. Any thing special i should know about their construction? Materials, size, etc: Can you suggest another method of restraint that does not require the purchase of a rack? If a suitable design can be found, i can also make a rack or look into getting one made.

The inside photos were FPO (for placement only). all work with solvent is done ONLY outside, even the room with the vacuum chamber is vented out the window and the vacuum pump sits outside the same window under a lawn utility "rock" to keep the elements out. the bottom of the "rock" sits on 3 pavers to provide ventilation. The pump sits on another paver to keep it out of the water if happens to rain or get hit by the sprinkler. The "rock" also helps with the pump noise.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Not used to seeing such small systems, all I can say is high pressure clamps are a must, keeping bolts in good shape. Obviously you need a collection platter, but you already know that. I would personally buy some liquid nitrogen and test for leaks, cause its high pressure none flammable. Hearing way too many horror stories even in this day and age from too much carelessness. If you don't have a couple condenser coils, you are going to want them. For recovery and injection. I would get PRVs like @aSilvrHaze, I'm only used to working with those blue lock in type PRVs. I wouldn't want to deal with a bleed valve. Best of luck, remember safety and to treat the system with much respect. She will reciprocate.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Not used to seeing such small systems, all I can say is high pressure clamps are a must, keeping bolts in good shape. Obviously you need a collection platter, but you already know that. I would personally buy some liquid nitrogen and test for leaks, cause its high pressure none flammable. Hearing way too many horror stories even in this day and age from too much carelessness. If you don't have a couple condenser coils, you are going to want them. For recovery and injection. I would get PRVs like @aSilvrHaze, I'm only used to working with those blue lock in type PRVs. I wouldn't want to deal with a bleed valve. Best of luck, remember safety and to treat the system with much respect. She will reciprocate.

This is actually a learning & operational training device. I want to take what is learned with this build and scale it up. I prefer to spend a couple of grand to learn vs spending 10+G's for a rig; where in all likelihood, all I am going to end up doing is messing up a lot of good weed and pissing away a lot of $$$. Not to mention the frustration and the high probability \ possibility that I would kill myself and or more importantly, someone else due to my lack of knowledge.

Now back to the mission....

I could not find nitrogen in a form that could be easily introduced to the system. Do you have any recommendations? Could I use an air compressor with appropriate air fittings and just pressure test? All of my gauges go to 160 psi. I have been doing vacuum testing by pulling a full vacuum on the system and seeing if it holds and for how long (both gauges also go to -30). If the system is air tight, shouldn't it hold forever?

Yes; every operational clamp will be hp & torqued to 12 ft. lbs(1.5") or 14 ft. lbs (4"). Still waiting on 4 more to come in. I noticed very quickly that the standard issue tri-clamp, while easier to work with; was much less reliable at achieving a 100% seal. Have purchased two different sets of gaskets because I cannot find definitive evidence as to which is best. BUNA-N vs Viton both seem to get high praise but for different reasons. It seems to boil down to personal choice and experience. I will run each type as a set and see which does best. I chose to use all Viton for my in-line filter stack.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Yes, there is a 4" x 2" splatter attached,

Upload 2018 7 15 12 1 27

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Viton both seem to get high praise but for different reasons. It seems to boil down to personal choice and experience
Viton gaskets all the way.

I could not find nitrogen in a form that could be easily introduced to the system. Do you have any recommendations?
A small 30 dollar nitrogen tank.... then you use your braided steel hose and connect the hose to the injection port from the tank... inject like normal, stop when getting to a certain psi. Check for leaks, if it has one, soak system in soapy water to locate it.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Viton gaskets all the way.

A small 30 dollar nitrogen tank.... then you use your braided steel hose and connect the hose to the injection port from the tank... inject like normal, stop when getting to a certain psi. Check for leaks, if it has one, soak system in soapy water to locate it.

Roger that!

Thank You.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
... but that is a bad location for the sight glass so don't put it there), ... .

Why? What makes it a poor location? It seems like a logical placement. How else would I verify solvent movement through the column?

I have removed all of the small sight glasses (dabarino), and i don't have sight glasses on my 4in collection tank lid (too small), but will on the scaled up version (at that point the in-line can be removed from Frankie).

Thanks

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Basically, the absolute worst place for a sight glass like that would be somewhere between two valves while the sight glass has liquid solvent in it. The pressure & liquid start creating hydraulic forces and that's where the trouble starts; vapor pressure and hydraulic pressure are 2 different animals. The spot you have it in your pic doesn't have that problem because it is after the valve, but I've read that isn't a good idea either, the material column becomes a big lever over the sight glass.

Refrigerant scale
I just picked one out on ebay. Have not had any issues...

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
It's real, I just created another account quickly to show everyone this. I'm outta here

Why? Where does it say we cannot ask questions from other sites? Is there a reason to outlaw membership even for mor info.

I had no idea there was a ban.

Is it not common practice to give a warning?

And i am not even a grower. I don't understand obviously i have violated some sor t of code. Please forgive me.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
It's an old members website. The owner Logic has some personal beef with them that I had nothing to do with. I got banned simply for joining budu.cate.com

Trust me i understand a "beef" I had no idea and won't make that mistake again if i can get another shot.

Thank for taking the time to reply. Any hope of a reprieve or should i just go find another site?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Trust me i understand a "beef" I had no idea and won't make that mistake again if i can get another shot.

Thank for taking the time to reply. Any hope of a reprieve or should i just go find another site?
Dude he is trolling every thread.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ass licker just like these guys
Not an ass licker you are trolling. You are posting this shit on every thread and disturb people. I really don’t care about the “beef”. Go work it out with them. I don’t like some of them either, i only rant about them in my grow diary.

H

heisen

Alot more to the story,No one got banned for the reason stated.The dudes a troll

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Not an ass licker you are trolling. You are posting this shit on every thread and disturb people. I really don’t care about the “beef”. Go work it out with them. I don’t like some of them either, i only rant about them in my grow diary.

Thank You CrimsonEcho, heisenbubble; Being new to the forum I am as likely as anyone to being punked... score one for the away team. Once bitten...

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thank You CrimsonEcho; Being new to the forum I am as likely as anyone to being punked... score one for the away team. Once bitten...
They seem sincere but mods tell a different story, i am not saying anyone is right but this is just trolling, a cheap trick to do. Then again who doesn’t have a delusional ex :D

Top Bottom