Tales from a Black Thumb: Round 3 - Let's try clones! Sherbet Queen

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I picked up a pair of Sherbet Queen clones from local shop. They came well rooted in rock-wool, so obviously it's not going to act like a newly sprouted baby. Is there anything significant I should know about raising them?

I got a new light: Viparspectra 2020. Set well above the clones and reading 6K lux at the leaves.
DWC is 300ppm @ 6.0pH. Tent is 72F / 75% humidity.

I'm shooting from the hip here, thinking I should probably manually water these clones a lot more than a sprout, until the roots reach the waterline. Should I consider an alternate approach? (I have done some Google searching, but haven't seen anything definitive yet).

Day 1 shot:
1608614537206.png

I did not plan on the new res being RED for Christmas, the first res cracked when I was cleaning it. This one is made by Craftsman, so it should last at least 10 minutes longer.

Merry Christmas!
If you don't celebrate Christmas, well then..... I wish you good health and happiness.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I picked up a pair of Sherbet Queen clones from local shop. They came well rooted in rock-wool, so obviously it's not going to act like a newly sprouted baby. Is there anything significant I should know about raising them?

I got a new light: Viparspectra 2020. Set well above the clones and reading 6K lux at the leaves.
DWC is 300ppm @ 6.0pH. Tent is 72F / 75% humidity.

I'm shooting from the hip here, thinking I should probably manually water these clones a lot more than a sprout, until the roots reach the waterline. Should I consider an alternate approach? (I have done some Google searching, but haven't seen anything definitive yet).

Day 1 shot:
View attachment 1070248

I did not plan on the new res being RED for Christmas, the first res cracked when I was cleaning it. This one is made by Craftsman, so it should last at least 10 minutes longer.

Merry Christmas!
If you don't celebrate Christmas, well then..... I wish you good health and happiness.
Merry Christmas!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Turned the light up to measure 12,000 lux @ the top leaves. Significant root growth in the past 24 hours. Humidity dropped to 65%.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
it be better to have them separated and leave a good gap between the roots and the rez water

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

it be better to have them separated and leave a good gap between the roots and the rez water
I have about 1 inch between the bottom of the pot and the water line.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
you wanna make sure that light can't get inside the bin and have air stone to agitate the water and gets the hydro pibbles wet. that's if the roots hasn't grown out of the pibbles yet

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

you wanna make sure that light can't get inside the bin and have air stone to agitate the water and gets the hydro pibbles wet. that's if the roots hasn't grown out of the pibbles yet
I have a good air pump and 4 stones. I chose to manually water the clones and pebbles until roots appeared. 😃

Reactions: PK1
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

First topping seems to have gone well.

Res is reading about 400PPM (0.8EC) Tent is 75F/60% humidity. Light is unchanged at 12K lux.
Damage to the left fan leaf is my own ineptitude.
Roots look great on both plants.
I'm slightly concerned about the leaf edge cupping. I can't get the tent temperature down, so I'll keep the humidity up and refrain from increasing the light intensity for now. I suspect/hope it's not an issue.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Accidentally amputated a limb doing LST!! Otherwise they are doing great.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

A little training to get them ready for flower.
I've opted to go forward with the amputee plant as-is. This will give 4 colas on the smaller plant, and 8 colas on the right.

Feeding target is 1.5EC. I just picked up a live EC/pH meter and will report back on how it performs.
I'm excited about this grow!!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

FLIP DAY!

My phone is reading 46K lux at the leaves.
Targeting 75F/60% humidity, but started wondering recently about leaf temperature vs. air temperature....

Working EC up from 1.0 range to 1.5 over the next week.
I gambled $40 on this little widget:

The jury is still out, but I think it will work well as a canary at a minimum. I've been comparing readings to my pen meters and it tracks pretty closely so far. It seems accurate enough to alert me of any drastic change to PH or EC. I'm tracking pen vs meter readings for a few weeks.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ3X5PR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
FLIP DAY!

View attachment 1089683

View attachment 1089684

My phone is reading 46K lux at the leaves.
Targeting 75F/60% humidity, but started wondering recently about leaf temperature vs. air temperature....

Working EC up from 1.0 range to 1.5 over the next week.
I gambled $40 on this little widget:

View attachment 1089685

The jury is still out, but I think it will work well as a canary at a minimum. I've been comparing readings to my pen meters and it tracks pretty closely so far. It seems accurate enough to alert me of any drastic change to PH or EC. I'm tracking pen vs meter readings for a few weeks.
Looking great! Very green and healthy.

Every spectrum is different, but if they are already at 46k lux I am wondering what it will look like as they stretch. Might want to keep an eye out for light burn (again, every spectrum is different but 46k lux at flower is about 20k more than I would be, which is why I bring it up).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ3X5PR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Looking great! Very green and healthy.

Every spectrum is different, but if they are already at 46k lux I am wondering what it will look like as they stretch. Might want to keep an eye out for light burn (again, every spectrum is different but 46k lux at flower is about 20k more than I would be, which is why I bring it up).
Interesting, I have been following this guideline from RoyalQueenSeeds:

HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?
  • Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Interesting, I have been following this guideline from RoyalQueenSeeds:

HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?
  • Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
Again, depends on spectrum. In my environment with my light, that would be very aggressive.

But if it's working for you then keep to it!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

End of Week 1:

Env: 75-80F, 40% (ish) humidity

EC 1.5 earlier in the week, worked it's way down to 1.1 today. Time to add some nutrients, and bring it back up to 1.5+ range.
pH was 5.7 early in the week, I boosted it when it dropped to 5.5, now slowly working it's way back down. Reading around 6.3 today.

Still fairly happy with the budget EC/PH meter. I've fallen into a pattern of visually checking the meter and recording the readings several times per day, along with taking a set of pen readings at least once a day for comparison/validation.

Happy VDay and all that romantic jazz. Be extra nice to your special someone today. Peace.

Latest posts

Top Bottom