TDS readings of feed water goes DOWN! after adding organic ferts

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDub51

GDub51

How can it be that my TDS meter can give me a LOWER reading AFTER adding organic fertilizers? How can I keep track of the PPM of my feed water if the TDS method is not compatible with organic growing?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How can it be that my TDS meter can give me a LOWER reading AFTER adding organic fertilizers? How can I keep track of the PPM of my feed water if the TDS method is not compatible with organic growing?
By experience.

GDub51

GDub51

By experience.
Trying to be snide? I'm on my 69th lap around the sun, boy, I was smoking weed probably before your mother spit you out. You work for this site!? Is this the way THCFARMER wants to be known? Take your snide immature attitude and stick it up your ass!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Trying to be snide? I'm on my 69th lap around the sun, boy, I was smoking weed probably before your mother spit you out. You work for this site!? Is this the way THCFARMER wants to be known? Take your snide immature attitude and stick it up your ass!
That was a genuine answer bro. There is no way to measure the organic content of the soil without a soil analysis. You have to go by experience or others experience and recommendations.

I sent you a pm explaining this. I'm not sure why the hostility when I was trying to genuinely answer your question.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also kindly watch that language. Thank you I'm not going to ask twice.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The ppm meter can not read lower after adding inputs no matter what they are.

Temperature can change the reading if the meter does not compensate or is malfunctioning.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Temperature can change the reading if the meter does not compensate or is malfunctioning.
Ah yes I think I misread his question. That or the only possible explanation is that whatever was added cause precipitate but I highly doubt that.

Also when the batteries get low they can give some funky readings

GDub51

GDub51

All I've found is brown edges on the leaves as a sign of overfeeding which I have. Obviously TDS meters don't work with organic feed. Run through seems the only way to measure now. Getting 200's to 300's TDS there at 5.9 PH (a little acidic, will balance feed water for higher PH. Battling wind and high temps here with kelp and aloe vera juice, moved plants to shadiest location and added large umbrella over, and spray the pots with cold water to cool them in the sun several times each day. No signs of heat stress on the plants so I guess it's working. Stong smell indicates some plant oils are gassing off though....cooler temps coming! Lost several large GSC branches to the wind, made a sad centerpiece for our table with several ounces of flowers lost! Well, there's plenty left, these girls are PROLIFIC at 8' high with inch thick trunks. Must be topped more than once next year to keep height under control. Flowers from the "premie" GSC are killer! Can't wait for the REAL harvest! Don't think the Pineapple Haze will finish till November. So small yet supposed to be one of the largest Sativa's? First sign of fungus gnats today so hit them with BT and Diatomaceous earth cover & will "fiz" the top layer of soil with Hydrogen Peroxide water when it dries out to kill off the rest and repeat the BT every five days or so. No Green Meanies this year!

IMG 3428
IMG 3434
IMG 3441
youngOG

youngOG

you dont measure the ppm of you nutrient solution if you are using organic nutrients .. they need to be broke down by soil organism before being avalaible to the plants
with organic you grow by eye .. if the label tell you 4ml/l (of biobizz biogrow for exemple)try with 2 ml/l.. then wait some days before seeing the results on the plants(let the soil life treat it so it becomes avalaible), if the color is green and lushy keep with this dosage, if not increase ..

tds/ppm is for mineral fert

Entropy

Entropy

I believe the TDS could go down if the input has a lower TDS then the water, albeit not by much but more likely some of the organic components lowered the electrical conductivity of the solution which would show up as lower TDS reading. In other words something in his organic fert acted as insulator instead of a conductor

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I believe the TDS could go down if the input has a lower TDS then the water, albeit not by much but more likely some of the organic components lowered the electrical conductivity of the solution which would show up as lower TDS reading. In other words something in his organic fert acted as insulator instead of a conductor

If you add a lower ec input than tje mix the higher ec will still read.

As for the insulator i have no idea. Is that a theory or have you read something?

Latest posts

Top Bottom