Teach me to grow...

• Thread starter xxedgexx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

xxedgexx

The white rings elevate the buckets at the end and gradually decrease in height to allow all the water to flush back into the control bucket. What you're saying is that I don't really want this? The 1" or so of water is a good thing? I have a video where they recommended using the spacers to raise the buckets. This is why I did this.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks like your setup correctly. All the buckets are getting water right? I'd flush and start back light on the nutes.

~~~~~~~
Edited to say:

I'm leaving what I wrote because I believed what I said, but I will strongly suggest you listen to JJ as it sounds like he has multiple, direct experiences with that system and I don't other than the basic concept. I'd go with experience on this one, I'll always defer to folks who've had their hands in it :)

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The system you are running is a double pot system, lower pot has a single hole in the side while the upper pot has holes in the bottom. When the system is installed correctly (level) the upper pot is dry, the water that remains in the system between flood cycles is just enough to touch the upper pot but not enough to leave water around the roots.

This small amount of water is not there to feed the plants but is there for the roots to growdown into as a reserve. When my pump burned up this little amount of water in each pot held my plants for 24 hours until I came home from work and found it. One other aspect to consider is that you are takeing away that amount of flood volume during the fill cycle. Every inch you raise the pots that's that much less nutrient the roots are soaked in.

I know of about 20 people that use the system you have, only one other person I have seen uses this method to operate their system and I haven't heard from that guy in some time. Do what you want with your system just know that what you are doing is not how it was designed.

jj

X

xxedgexx

Thank you. Explained, that makes perfect sense.

See, this is one of the issues I see, there's a lot of misleading information out there. I have a video that even suggests adding the spacers to drain all the water out.

I'll remove the spacers right away.

I flushed the tank and ran some Clearex with 5.7 water for a full day, which is 6 total floods.

I'm now running at around 400ppm, having cut the original recommended dose into a quarter strength.

New growth continues to improve.

One new question. Does it make sense to use the entire 55 gallons? Maintenance is obviously easier with less water, but I thought I read somewhere that using a larger volume of water somehow dilutes the nutrients in a more efficient manner?

It will be interesting to find out I was simply overpowering this entire time.

The strain btw is master kush.

I'm curious, the first grow I did 6 plants in a tray type ebb and flow system. Only one plant survived my cruel punishment. It was Mango. Does anyone know if this is a particularly strong strain? 5 other plants had stunted growth, burn, etc, but this Mango seemed unimpressed by my plant torturing abilities.

thanks

thanks

P

ProGroWannabe

........ but this Mango seemed unimpressed by my plant torturing abilities.

thanks

thanks

Torturing abilities....that's funny shit right there....lol.

On a serious note, I AM glad to see them turning around for you. You'll be rockin em before long!

mace

mace

xxedgexx: i read your first post then skipped to the last page, hopefully i can answer your latest question.

I read that you change your res 3 times a week, hopefully someone has told you to stop this by now. That's a lot of waste nut's and water. Change your rez once a week, and flush when needed. Usually flushing in hydro, for me, was once every two weeks.

The amount of water you use in your rez will make a big difference in the amount of times you need to change your rez. The more water, the more nuts, the less you change your water. if you're using the 12pot ebb and grow system (or something like it) i would say that for 12 pots you want about 30 gallons of water in your rez and likely more.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Mace has it on this question, 30 gallons is about the correct volumne of water for a 12 pot flood. Depending on plant age and consumption this mix can hold the plants from 7 - 14 days.

jj

Latest posts

Top Bottom