Teaching family how to cultivate,What is your opinion?

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I live in a legal state. I have a large household. We have four kids under the age of 18 but they're not like super super young, they are between the ages 9 to 16. I cultivate indoors and outdoors. I have taught the children how to grow veggie gardens and ornamental flowers and how to propagate certain plants and vegetables. But I don't condone illegal use of cannabis. I do not condone children using cannabis products unless there's a medical card. By no means am I wanting to give my children cannabis to consume. But my curiosity is I would love to show them how to cultivate cannabis plants. Not giving them free range to frolic in the garden or to sit there and trim bud at harvest but to show them how to grow cannabis. Of course, they've sat there and watched me cultivate my cannabis indoors and outdoors. They do not have access to none of my plants whatsoever. I'm within the state law. But my curiosity is, does this community have any opinions on if you think it's appropriate to show kids how to cultivate? Or is that going over the line? It's a passion that I have and I know some of the kids have passions for growing things. And I don't want to teach them that marijuana is bad or there's a stigma behind it. I want them to understand it's just a plant and its medicine and it helps save some people's lives. But because of the way society can view, it sometimes makes me feel like a bad parent at times because I want to show them how to grow. I figured if I show them all my tricks on how to grow by the time they're of legal age to grow by themselves without any repercussions, they'd be very successful because they've helped me and watch me do it for years. What's your opinion?

Moshmen

Moshmen

I live in a legal state. I have a large household. We have four kids under the age of 18 but they're not like super super young, they are between the ages 9 to 16. I cultivate indoors and outdoors. I have taught the children how to grow veggie gardens and ornamental flowers and how to propagate certain plants and vegetables. But I don't condone illegal use of cannabis. I do not condone children using cannabis products unless there's a medical card. By no means am I wanting to give my children cannabis to consume. But my curiosity is I would love to show them how to cultivate cannabis plants. Not giving them free range to frolic in the garden or to sit there and trim bud at harvest but to show them how to grow cannabis. Of course, they've sat there and watched me cultivate my cannabis indoors and outdoors. They do not have access to none of my plants whatsoever. I'm within the state law. But my curiosity is, does this community have any opinions on if you think it's appropriate to show kids how to cultivate? Or is that going over the line? It's a passion that I have and I know some of the kids have passions for growing things. And I don't want to teach them that marijuana is bad or there's a stigma behind it. I want them to understand it's just a plant and its medicine and it helps save some people's lives. But because of the way society can view, it sometimes makes me feel like a bad parent at times because I want to show them how to grow. I figured if I show them all my tricks on how to grow by the time they're of legal age to grow by themselves without any repercussions, they'd be very successful because they've helped me and watch me do it for years. What's your opinion?
Do you drink around ur kids ? Or smoke ? No difference in my opinion as long as it’s done responsibly I think it’s perfectly fine in fact it prolly fairly educational

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
As long as you don’t mind them going to school and blabbing the fact that you grow dope all over. Then the other kids go home and tell their parents and before you know it you are somewhat ostracized from the community. When you run into your neighbors at the store they are cold and give you weird looks. I love playing the Devils advocate! L O L! Not everyone views weed in the same enlightened fashion that it is viewed here.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

@Oldchucky beat me to it. Here's what I wrote anyway:

While I was raising my kids, I was inclined to let them do learn about the world, while helping them understand the good and bad that exists. That said, this probably isn't only about your kids. Their friends are sure to know, too, and they'll talk. Some might even try to steal some of it. I'm not sure I'd want to explain to a neighbor why their kid was caught smoking some of my weed. Ultimately, it's about trust, I suppose, so, if you think your kids can handle it, then I don't see a reason not to let them learn.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
With kids you have to assume that the worst case scenario will manifest itself sooner or later. You better be prepared to deal with it. I would be inclined to tell them to keep the fuck away from it till they are 18. Good luck!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This is treading dangerously into what could possibly end up in the hands of the courts.

In Michigan, this is playing out in court with the parents of the school shooter who shot up his school last fall. He's a minor. The parents' grow area was in the house but didn't have a seperate lock on it. The minor son had complete access to it. Apparently the unlock-able grow area is one of the many charges these parents are facing right now.

Be sure you know the laws and how they are applied in court. Your house can be locked at the entrance doors, but that doesn't qualify as a locked/enclosed grow area in Michigan. The door to the grow area must also have a lock on it too. Likewise, for those growing outdoors, the crop should be surrounded by a lockable structure (6' chain link fence qualifies) and must not be in public view. An open grow is still against the law.

I understand that the intent is to "teach a skill," but this skill is probably better off not being approached with a minor. There's too many ways it could go side ways if the wrong people find out. Wait until the kids are of legal age.

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

This is treading dangerously into what could possibly end up in the hands of the courts.

In Michigan, this is playing out in court with the parents of the school shooter who shot up his school last fall. He's a minor. The parents' grow area was in the house but didn't have a seperate lock on it. The minor son had complete access to it. Apparently the unlock-able grow area is one of the many charges these parents are facing right now.

Be sure you know the laws and how they are applied in court. Your house can be locked at the entrance doors, but that doesn't qualify as a locked/enclosed grow area in Michigan. The door to the grow area must also have a lock on it too. Likewise, for those growing outdoors, the crop should be surrounded by a lockable structure (6' chain link fence qualifies) and must not be in public view. An open grow is still against the law.

I understand that the intent is to "teach a skill," but this skill is probably better off not being approached with a minor. There's too many ways it could go side ways if the wrong people find out. Wait until the kids are of legal age.
I definitely have taken the law into consideration. I have pondered that possibly. the safe bet is to let them learn from afar. It sucks on my end because two of them show great passion for growing veggies and flowers. Every day the kids are in the veggie gardens and flower beds checking for veggies or flowers they can pick, along with the bugs and wildlife that is living with in the gardens. Non the less by the time they are old enough it will come easy to them. A lot of the same tricks that I use in the vegetable patch or the flowers they can do to the cannabis. They've even learned how to decipher deficiencies within the vegetable gardens and flowers. Either way, I'm proud of them no matter what whether they pick up on the cannabis cultivation as it get older or not. Just there is some things I would love to share with them and unfortunately this is maybe one of things that maybe I need to wait for.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I definitely have taken the law into consideration. I have pondered that possibly. the safe bet is to let them learn from afar. It sucks on my end because two of them show great passion for growing veggies and flowers. Every day the kids are in the veggie gardens and flower beds checking for veggies or flowers they can pick, along with the bugs and wildlife that is living with in the gardens. Non the less by the time they are old enough it will come easy to them. A lot of the same tricks that I use in the vegetable patch or the flowers they can do to the cannabis. They've even learned how to decipher deficiencies within the vegetable gardens and flowers. Either way, I'm proud of them no matter what whether they pick up on the cannabis cultivation as it get older or not. Just there is some things I would love to share with them and unfortunately this is maybe one of things that maybe I need to wait for.

The grow doesn't have to be a secret to the kids. Your emphasis should be on instilling the idea in them that its important to follow the law. For example, Dad, why is the cannabis grow area always locked? Answer: Because the law says I have to keep it locked.

I'm all for being open with the kids about what you're doing. The grow can be a topic at the dinner table. I see no harm in them being able to see it. The harm in the eyes of the law starts when the kids have direct easy access due to what they would call "negligence of the parents."

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I definitely agree on just waiting until a legal age. My state is legal grows too but something like that and you would end up in court with a whole lot more going on than you planned for. Not to mention the heat you will take the first time one of their friends become curious, filch a nug and get caught. Good thing is all the knowledge they are gaining now will just help them along when they do become of a legal age.

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Agree with the above big time! Teach them how to go out and crash remote control airplanes!

mancorn

mancorn

Growing dope isn’t inherently more fun than growing flowers. I don’t like growing egg plant, because I don’t like egg plant. I don’t see why growing dope would be all that fun for someone who doesn’t smoke dope (or grow for family/friends or commercial). IMO your kids will have more fun growing giant pumpkins, where they can brag about yield, share pics with grandma, enter a contest, join 4H, and watch pumpkin videos - just like all the weed growers here. Plus there’s almost nothing specific about growing weed that doesn’t apply to other crops. I’m always scratching my head when new growers can’t get a weed plant past the seeding stage, thinking “haven’t you ever grown a damn tomato?” (And guessing the answer is - probably not.)

Edit: I’ll add that I was over at my buddies a couple days ago and he was growing the white eggplant. First I’d seen one and it looked like eggs growing on a plant. It looked so cool I’m almost tempted to grow one.

Last edited:
OGgrower420

OGgrower420

Screw what society thinks! Your a good parent follow your conscience but don't let society step on it.😎✌❤ How could knowledge of growing any kind of plant, all of which are good ever be considered wrong in anyway? Diversity in gardening knowledge can only be a benefit in ones life experience. 😎✌❤ imho just my 2cents worth.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Idk my kids love coming in the tent and seeing the progress, my kids are also young and don’t have access to the tent when I’m not home, tent is in a locked room (my wife dosent even go in without me there) and finished product in jars is locked up in a separate room inside of another locked cabinet. The kids help with a 60’x45’ vegetable garden, plus the canning and freezing of everything that comes out of it. Some people mentioned kids taking about it at school (my kids are home schooled) so no schools to worry about and I know for sure at least 2 of my neighbors grow (or did) one got busted in a full raid a few years back but he was growing over 100 plants in his house.

My kids love learning about everything I mean we bought our house out in the woods for a reason, property, privacy, and garden room, next year we are adding an additional 30’x30’ garden.

And don’t forget gardening knowledge is transferable so it’ll help them understand first signs of deficiencies in all types of plants not just cannabis. What is the difference in them leaning both indoor and outdoor growing.

12AE42A7 B1FC 457E 8A04 CAF1186F161F
4A7B6FF4 60B9 475D A46C 2BB968929D67
070895CF 7795 408F 96A9 9C1146BA2AC7
Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Idk my kids love coming in the tent and seeing the progress, my kids are also young and don’t have access to the tent when I’m not home, tent is in a locked room (my wife dosent even go in without me there) and finished product in jars is locked up in a separate room inside of another locked cabinet. The kids help with a 60’x45’ vegetable garden, plus the canning and freezing of everything that comes out of it. Some people mentioned kids taking about it at school (my kids are home schooled) so no schools to worry about and I know for sure at least 2 of my neighbors grow (or did) one got busted in a full raid a few years back but he was growing over 100 plants in his house.

My kids love learning about everything I mean we bought our house out in the woods for a reason, property, privacy, and garden room, next year we are adding an additional 30’x30’ garden.

And don’t forget gardening knowledge is transferable so it’ll help them understand first signs of deficiencies in all types of plants not just cannabis. What is the difference in them leaning both indoor and outdoor growing.
There's nothing wrong with gaining knowledge .. or receiving an education .. however you want to state it.

The problem parents with minors face is how the courts perceive these activities. If a kid has unsupervised access to what would be an otherwise legal grow, there's a strong likely-hood they will end up in court because even though it's been legalized, it's still a controlled substance. Every legal state has a frame-work for what activities are legal and what are not when it comes to weed. Regardless of feelings here, lets be smart about this. Going to court is expensive, time consuming, and something most of us prefer not to deal with.

Being open with your kids about your activities is one thing. Inviting them to participate in the growing process could easily be an invitation for legal troubles.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
You could teach them to grow industrial hemp, instead. It's the same plant and by law the only difference is <0.30% thc is hemp where anything higher is "weed".. If you're willing to get licensed and all that. Kids can participate in industrial hemp farming. I don't know any state that's legal to allow under 18 to participate in THC cannabis, tho.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
There's nothing wrong with gaining knowledge .. or receiving an education .. however you want to state it.

The problem parents with minors face is how the courts perceive these activities. If a kid has unsupervised access to what would be an otherwise legal grow, there's a strong likely-hood they will end up in court because even though it's been legalized, it's still a controlled substance. Every legal state has a frame-work for what activities are legal and what are not when it comes to weed. Regardless of feelings here, lets be smart about this. Going to court is expensive, time consuming, and something most of us prefer not to deal with.

Being open with your kids about your activities is one thing. Inviting them to participate in the growing process could easily be an invitation for legal troubles.
Oh I hear ya they can look when I’m in there but they don’t ever touch them it’s secured well, I guess you could call them spectators lol, my daughter is the flower and vegetable grower my son… he likes to fill baskets with peppers and tomatoes haha. I mean once they turn 18 I’d be more than happy putting them to work tying down branches etc lol but I have time time before that till then I am the lone farmer lol

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

Nice to see the love and effort you put into the veggie garden. Food could soon have more value than cannabis. 😎👍
If I personally had to worry about the authorities becoming involved in my life where I was living. I'd just have to move deeper in the woods, or higher in the mountains. I left my family homestead of over 100 years all the way back to my great grandparents because of the gentrification of our local community. Once all those city slickers moved into the county, they began calling all the local authorities to be sure every I was dotted and every t crossed.
I escaped just ahead of the real onslaught which now has my old rural homeplace running like Cali. Anyways enough of a rant on that one.
If we don't like it where we are,we can always with careful research move to a place more accommodating to our chosen lifestyle. You would be Surprised how dramatically different are various counties and states from one side of this place to the other.
Viva la differance.
Peace out😎
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Nice to see the love and effort you put into the veggie garden. Food could soon have more value than cannabis. 😎👍
If I personally had to worry about the authorities becoming involved in my life where I was living. I'd just have to move deeper in the woods, or higher in the mountains. I left my family homestead of over 100 years all the way back to my great grandparents because of the gentrification of our local community. Once all those city slickers moved into the county, they began calling all the local authorities to be sure every I was dotted and every t crossed.
I escaped just ahead of the real onslaught which now has my old rural homeplace running like Cali. Anyways enough of a rant on that one.
If we don't like it where we are,we can always with careful research move to a place more accommodating to our chosen lifestyle. You would be Surprised how dramatically different are various counties and states from one side of this place to the other.
Viva la differance.
Peace out😎
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I hear ya the veggie garden has been planned for years finally bought the new house and went for it, the whole garden is 100% organic, we followed the permaculture gardening route which is very similar to the route I’m taking for the cannabis this go around. It’s all about beneficial bacteria and fungi’s, went the whole season without adding a single neut or pesticide and did better than all the surrounding neighbors gardens, it was started with 15 cubic yards of organic dark leaf compost and I have 2 new piles of compost going out back for adding to this garden as well as the new garden next season

We canned and froze an unimaginable amount of food for the first garden run and we plan to double it next year. As we speak there is a bushel’s worth of tomatoes cooking down on my stove top for another 10 quarts of tomato sauce to can up lol

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

I hear ya the veggie garden has been planned for years finally bought the new house and went for it, the whole garden is 100% organic, we followed the permaculture gardening route which is very similar to the route I’m taking for the cannabis this go around. It’s all about beneficial bacteria and fungi’s, went the whole season without adding a single neut or pesticide and did better than all the surrounding neighbors gardens, it was started with 15 cubic yards of organic dark leaf compost and I have 2 new piles of compost going out back for adding to this garden as well as the new garden next season

We canned and froze an unimaginable amount of food for the first garden run and we plan to double it next year. As we speak there is a bushel’s worth of tomatoes cooking down on my stove top for another 10 quarts of tomato sauce to can up lol
Bro you guys rock. I've encouraged everyone I know to grow food also this year. Even just a few tomatoes and some green beans if that's all you can handle now. We each need to be honing our various gardening skills.
I'm with you 110% on the Organic gardening. Doing some vermaculture here for the 1st time & the garden is kicking it! No matter what happens with prices or availability when we begin to understand the soil food web and become gracious caretakers of the life that makes it all thrive, not just survive we are definently on the right road. Imho

Did you know prior to like the year 2000 The Giant Pumpkin Competitions world record was like 1200 + lbs. That's the year Organic farmers began to enter their giant pumpkins. The latest world record I'm aware of is 2600 lbs +

So that should really speak to anyone with an open mind about which type of Farming practices are most productive.
Keep up the GREAT work!
Peace out ✌😎

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

As long as you don’t mind them going to school and blabbing the fact that you grow dope all over. Then the other kids go home and tell their parents and before you know it you are somewhat ostracized from the community. When you run into your neighbors at the store they are cold and give you weird looks. I love playing the Devils advocate! L O L! Not everyone views weed in the same enlightened fashion that it is viewed here.
So getting wierd looks and being ostracized by the community isn't how its supposed to be? Dang and all these years I've been thinking that must just be how life works here?🤔
That's a big paradigm shift for me! It's gonna take a little while to fully digest that. Hmmm?

Latest posts

Top Bottom