Teaching family how to cultivate,What is your opinion?

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

With kids you have to assume that the worst case scenario will manifest itself sooner or later. You better be prepared to deal with it. I would be inclined to tell them to keep the fuck away from it till they are 18. Good luck!
As someone who taught English for a dozen years and saw so little regard for literacy among young people I have to side with @Oldchucky on this one. I'd rather see @Southernuncle21 read aloud to his children for 1/2 an hour a day which increases brain development at their age. Do take them fishing, mountain climbing or anything like that but first order of the day is to make them read and hopefully listen to all kinds of music. That being said I quit smoking for 16 years to be a father to my kids. I'll climb off my sandbox but hope you have peace harmony love and good vibes only in your home.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
As someone who taught English for a dozen years and saw so little regard for literacy among young people I have to side with @Oldchucky on this one. I'd rather see @Southernuncle21 read aloud to his children for 1/2 an hour a day which increases brain development at their age. Do take them fishing, mountain climbing or anything like that but first order of the day is to make them read and hopefully listen to all kinds of music. That being said I quit smoking for 16 years to be a father to my kids. I'll climb off my sandbox but hope you have peace harmony love and good vibes only in your home.
I know you didn’t mention me in there but I defenitly hear ya, like I said we homeschool our kids, once they finish learning for the day we go to the beach, then to 2 or 3 parks, then we go down to the creek that runs behind my home (best trout / steelhead fishing in the state) it’s about a mile walk each way up to the dam but the kids live nature walks and swimming in the lake, then we go home pick veggies together and go inside and prep and can it all.

I think out of the 7 days I was off last week we where home for 1 day due to heavy rain but besides the fact we already live in the woods we go out just about daily for 5-6 hours minimum every day I’m off work, a few years ago it got to the point in my career
where I could afford everything we needed including mortgages and car payments by myself so I gave my wife the option (her choice) if she wanted to keep working or stay home and homeschool the kids after a few weeks she finally decided to homeschool them and they never went back, now they absolutely love being homeschooled. Last year she was a grade ahead in all subjects my son the same. And they spend literally 3.5 hours a day learning (state requirements for homeschool 900 hours per year) the state includes art and gym in those hours or requirement we don’t, that is after “learning” time. Best part we decide the curriculum (has to fit within state guidelines) I make up the year’s work and submit it to the district and they tell you if it complies (I literally just got my compliance letter when I was walking out the door to work) most of the garbage taught in schools nowadays is not a requirement but the district’s opinions. My kids don’t need to learn their garbage and being approved for my submitted curriculum is the proof of that. Kids are being taught worthless knowledge to fill a school day that should be half as long, it’s just prepaid (taxes) babysitters all in one building.

Sorry if I was ranting i wish more people knew about how easy homeschooling is and how much happier kids can be when learning is designed to be fun and not just a number at the end of the year. (Plus they can take a GED test at 16 and finish school 2 years early), there is no difference anymore for collage acceptance or for work applications if you have a GED or diploma they are 100% equal now

sambapati

sambapati

I know you didn’t mention me in there but I defenitly hear ya, like I said we homeschool our kids, once they finish learning for the day we go to the beach, then to 2 or 3 parks, then we go down to the creek that runs behind my home (best trout / steelhead fishing in the state) it’s about a mile walk each way up to the dam but the kids live nature walks and swimming in the lake, then we go home pick veggies together and go inside and prep and can it all.

I think out of the 7 days I was off last week we where home for 1 day due to heavy rain but besides the fact we already live in the woods we go out just about daily for 5-6 hours minimum every day I’m off work, a few years ago it got to the point in my career
where I could afford everything we needed including mortgages and car payments by myself so I gave my wife the option (her choice) if she wanted to keep working or stay home and homeschool the kids after a few weeks she finally decided to homeschool them and they never went back, now they absolutely love being homeschooled. Last year she was a grade ahead in all subjects my son the same. And they spend literally 3.5 hours a day learning (state requirements for homeschool 900 hours per year) the state includes art and gym in those hours or requirement we don’t, that is after “learning” time. Best part we decide the curriculum (has to fit within state guidelines) I make up the year’s work and submit it to the district and they tell you if it complies (I literally just got my compliance letter when I was walking out the door to work) most of the garbage taught in schools nowadays is not a requirement but the district’s opinions. My kids don’t need to learn their garbage and being approved for my submitted curriculum is the proof of that. Kids are being taught worthless knowledge to fill a school day that should be half as long, it’s just prepaid (taxes) babysitters all in one building.

Sorry if I was ranting i wish more people knew about how easy homeschooling is and how much happier kids can be when learning is designed to be fun and not just a number at the end of the year. (Plus they can take a GED test at 16 and finish school 2 years early), there is no difference anymore for collage acceptance or for work applications if you have a GED or diploma they are 100% equal now
When someone is competent in a world of incompetence they become extraordinary. Thank you for raising the children capable of leading us into the future.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
(Plus they can take a GED test at 16 and finish school 2 years early), there is no difference anymore for collage acceptance or for work applications if you have a GED or diploma they are 100% equal now

I found high school utterly boring and tedious. Most of my teachers hated me for never doing my homework and acing their tests with no problem at all 🤣

My guidance counselor was a tremendous asshat and told me I'd never go anywhere with my life if I didn't start doing my homework and earning a "passing grade" - basically to stop "bucking the system"..

When I asked to withdraw from school at 16 to work full time at Burger King, he (the asshat) told me I'd be a whopper flopper for the rest of my life and I'd "never get my GED" 🤠

Not only did I get my GED the very next fall, I scored 30 points short of a perfect score and was awarded an honors diploma.

Oh, how I wish I could rub it all in his face! 4 years in the US Army, an Associate's Degree, and all of the success I've had since then. I bet he's the one making fast food level yearly income, now. 🤣

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
When someone is competent in a world of incompetence they become extraordinary. Thank you for raising the children capable of leading us into the future.
When I think about what these kids are being forced to learn now it’s just depressing. They even cut out teaching cursive. (We added it back into our curriculum) in my town, approx 1/3 of the kids are homeschooled and it’s increasing quickly, same with all the districts around us. We felt the sacrifice of a 2nd income was worth it to teach our children correctly. I know not everyone can do that, but at least check the work, most parents don’t even know what these kids are being forced to learn, and having their grades depend on a topic or subject that’s isint even required by the state, sadly districts can add whatever they want for the most part as long as the base curriculum is approved. Basically being taught a person’s opinion and the children’s grade suffer if they don’t learn it.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I found high school utterly boring and tedious. Most of my teachers hated me for never doing my homework and acing their tests with no problem at all 🤣

My guidance counselor was a tremendous asshat and told me I'd never go anywhere with my life if I didn't start doing my homework and earning a "passing grade" - basically to stop "bucking the system"..

When I asked to withdraw from school at 16 to work full time at Burger King, he (the asshat) told me I'd be a whopper flopper for the rest of my life and I'd "never get my GED" 🤠

Not only did I get my GED the very next fall, I scored 30 points short of a perfect score and was awarded an honors diploma.

Oh, how I wish I could rub it all in his face! 4 years in the US Army, an Associate's Degree, and all of the success I've had since then. I bet he's the one making fast food level yearly income, now. 🤣
When I dropped out and started construction I was making more money than almost every teacher in the state and I was only “16” I was working underage from 14 till 16 lol,

I’m glad I got my GED, I can’t remember the score but it was a high score (it was around 17 years ago lol)

I’m not in construction anymore I did that for about 14-15 years then started at a plant, been here about 8 years, was offered manager after 16 months all with just a GED. On the up side I can build / frame/ wire / plumb / or do whatever to a house I need to now lol just gimme a field and the materials and prints and I’ll build the house lol

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

What a blessing, wish we had more famalies who chose your lifestyle. Your children are so blessed and will realize it all the rest of their lives!
Thanks for sharing how your family took the road less traveled. God bless you and all your endeavors. 😎✌❤

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
What a blessing, wish we had more famalies who chose your lifestyle. Your children are so blessed and will realize it all the rest of their lives!
Thanks for sharing how your family took the road less traveled. God bless you and all your endeavors. 😎✌❤
Lol thank you, we tend not to follow the norm, and the kids love it. Homeschooling is great, sometimes I’ll just walk up to the table on one of my days off and say hey, how about we skip school and go to the zoo etc. obviously they don’t know it’s a field trip for them but they think they are skipping school, should see their faces when I do that haha. We also don’t follow a normal school schedule, sometimes they work Tuesday-Sunday or Monday-Friday or even skip a day in the middle of the week, we let them choose at the beginning of the week, so we’ll explain my work schedule (12 hour swing shift I’m at work right now haha) and let them decide if they want days off of school on my days off or not. They feel like an adult making a decision, but in the end they still get all their school time between Monday-Sunday for the week. Granted I bought them each gaming laptops for their online courses etc (could have bought 6 new grow lights for the price haha) and we hung up a 6’x4’ chalk board in the kitchen (they do their school work mainly in the kitchen, sometimes they like the recliners though lol)

The little things seem to make a hell of a difference , not to mention eating whenever they are hungry, taking a restroom break or a break and jumping on a trampoline or a quick dip in the pool on a hot day etc

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have five kids under the age of 12 and I try to include each of them into a farming practice that interests them. I don't let them into my grow room very often but I don't make a big deal about it other than for the electrical danger when it comes up. When it comes to cannabis my oldest kinda knows about it and none of them like the smell. My daughter runs my rabbitry (although I do most of the harder and dirtier work when cleaning). My oldest boy is really into pumpkins so he is starting his own pumpkin patch next year for a business to sell (maybe for charity but time will tell). We grow a lot of dried beans and although my middle boy is not really into farming but he loves opening beans and looking for "rare" varieties.
Getting a little lost on where I was going with this comment but I will mention that my kids love digging potatoes with me (It may or may not be forced family fun but Ill take it). We started a pond a few years back and that has been such a source of entertainment for the kids. Its not even filled completely yet either. Kids love digging in dirt and catchin frogs. I can not even imagine raising children anywhere but a farm. Peace all. Hope you all have a great day!

IMG 20180829 103930338
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I have five kids under the age of 12 and I try to include each of them into a farming practice that interests them. I don't let them into my grow room very often but I don't make a big deal about it other than for the electrical danger when it comes up. When it comes to cannabis my oldest kinda knows about it and none of them like the smell. My daughter runs my rabbitry (although I do most of the harder and dirtier work when cleaning). My oldest boy is really into pumpkins so he is starting his own pumpkin patch next year for a business to sell (maybe for charity but time will tell). We grow a lot of dried beans and although my middle boy is not really into farming but he loves opening beans and looking for "rare" varieties.
Getting a little lost on where I was going with this comment but I will mention that my kids love digging potatoes with me (It may or may not be forced family fun but Ill take it). We started a pond a few years back and that has been such a source of entertainment for the kids. Its not even filled completely yet either. Kids love digging in dirt and catchin frogs. I can not even imagine raising children anywhere but a farm. Peace all. Hope you all have a great day!
We wish we where able to get a few acres but when we Sold our old house (we hated the area after 6 years) we moved here the houses where so overpriced but we got lucky with the one we found with an acre. My daughter wants to start a stand out at the road. We’ll be putting in another section of garden and we also planted 10 fruit trees in spring. Just planning to keep adding more and more. We have tons of homesteaders around us and mostly smaller sized farms but tons of them, we always go up the road and buy our beef/chicken/pork right from the rancher that raised them. Really just trying to stay out of stores, we have a dairy that delivers the milk fresh from their cows every Friday they also bring our eggs haha

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

Our teenager begged last year to home schooled but she only wanted that because she wants to be lazy, the other kids are a different story. The boy has a learning delay and we are unable to give him what he needs when it comes to teaching, he has a special teacher that is trained for the severely delayed children and the others are too young for school. I personally wouldn't mind home schooling but I feel like it would be a disaster at the same time. I'm not a supporter of how schools go about teaching, they don't teach anything useful for adult life and sadly alot of schools are teaching kids their political crap. That's a story for a different time. One day I would love to provide home schooling, I feel like they would be better prepared in life.

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

Lol thank you, we tend not to follow the norm, and the kids love it. Homeschooling is great, sometimes I’ll just walk up to the table on one of my days off and say hey, how about we skip school and go to the zoo etc. obviously they don’t know it’s a field trip for them but they think they are skipping school, should see their faces when I do that haha. We also don’t follow a normal school schedule, sometimes they work Tuesday-Sunday or Monday-Friday or even skip a day in the middle of the week, we let them choose at the beginning of the week, so we’ll explain my work schedule (12 hour swing shift I’m at work right now haha) and let them decide if they want days off of school on my days off or not. They feel like an adult making a decision, but in the end they still get all their school time between Monday-Sunday for the week. Granted I bought them each gaming laptops for their online courses etc (could have bought 6 new grow lights for the price haha) and we hung up a 6’x4’ chalk board in the kitchen (they do their school work mainly in the kitchen, sometimes they like the recliners though lol)

The little things seem to make a hell of a difference , not to mention eating whenever they are hungry, taking a restroom break or a break and jumping on a trampoline or a quick dip in the pool on a hot day etc
Thanks for sharing it's a great encouragement to hear.

O

OntarioGoldenHash

You should be proud of yourself. You sound like an awesome parent.

I totally agree with you about schools.

OGgrower420

OGgrower420

Farm life is where it's at! You guys rock!

Wieczorekfloorz

Wieczorekfloorz

I wouldn't be worried about your kid going out saying something being ostracized by the community you just got ostracized by this community on the forum. I myself have children and thought this they always peek in the grow tent I have their plants growing alongside my cannabis plants as well. But I agree wait till they're older but once they're all legal age I think it's perfectly fine.

sambapati

sambapati

@Homesteader please send several cans of the beans to @DireWolf as he was some wood to saw with them. Seriously, sounds like you are enjoying every moment of the kids screaming through life on the farm. Peace out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom