Techniques to Keep mother plants small

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hey fam what or some techniques you use to keep small mother plants. I’m experimenting with a plant in a 4 in square pot and I’m seeing how long I can keep it happy before transplanting back into the same 4in square pot. I will do this by shaving off a half inch or so on all sides even the bottom. After that I’ll sprinkle some mycorrhizae fungi on the remaining roots and replant.

i also have some moms in 2 gal plastic pots and plant to do the same thing. How do you keep your mother plants?

~Mother plants~

-Grape Gas S1 (CLTVTD cut)
-Apples and Bananas (CLTVTD cut)
-White Runtz (cookie fam cut)
Techniques to keep mother plants small
Grape Gas S1(CLTVTD cut)
Techniques to keep mother plants small 4
White Runtz (Cookie fam cut)
Techniques to keep mother plants small 2
Apples and Bananas (CLTVTD cut)
Techniques to keep mother plants small 3

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

So how is the bonsai thing working out? I always meant to try it. Instead, mothers get too big, so I take a cut and then flower the mother. Probably not a good idea, but I don't seem to have spread any diseases, at this point.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I don't keep mothers anymore. But when I did I kept them under 4000K light or 4500K light. Blue light keeps them short and squat with node spacing as close and tight as a deck of playing cards. For this reason I keep my seedlings and plants for a min. of 3 weeks under a HLG 100 V2 4000K.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
So how is the bonsai thing working out? I always meant to try it. Instead, mothers get too big, so I take a cut and then flower the mother. Probably not a good idea, but I don't seem to have spread any diseases, at this point.
So far so good I forgot to include a picture of that small one in the 4in square pot but she’s still happy. The plant is a lot smaller and more manageable that’s forsure. I do have to water it a lot more tho once in the morning and once at night when I come home from work.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I don't keep mothers anymore. But when I did I kept them under 4000K light or 4500K light. Blue light keeps them short and squat with node spacing as close and tight as a deck of playing cards. For this reason I keep my seedlings and plants for a min. of 3 weeks under a HLG 100 V2 4000K.
You start from seed now or get clones from someone? Ya I plan to use my viparspectra quantum boards which are more on the blue side.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I just chop em down to only a couple nodes
How big are they when you do that tho? That seems extreme lol I would be afraid of it not coming back from that stress and losing the genetics. If I can hack em down pretty far tho that could work so thanx for the input.

J

Jmatson

I run a 2x2x4 with a 2’ kind veg bar Currently I have 4 moms that I like to keep for about 6 months before I grow out a new one. I like to run cycles every three weeks and about every 2 month I will grow out a mom. I start all my clones in small 3x3x3 pots until they stall then transplant to 4x4x8 for the rest of their days and have no problem with them having issues with a 1 part GH feed program. I’ve messed around with bonsai I don’t think it’s worth all the fuss unless you are looking for the novelty of it. Here are some pics of what I have done for moms. I messed around with trimming roots and all on the ones that I bent and it is just way more of a mess than it’s worth.
FA1B724B 4D3A 431F BB1E D48D9CE801F2

blue berry, royal gorilla, honey banana, birds of paradise, and my newest mom search catpiss. Hopefully one of the 7 I have will be worth it
42597812 3C69 4BDD 8679 A3D6E87ED56D

Keep them short still get up to 10 off this plant and get more in three weeks
994B1A17 FE53 4C6D B9AA 088ADCEF065F

packed house
45C68078 60CE 4CA3 978B 79AB9038EDA9

Too much time.

CC7EB181 30A7 4F90 A619 C5150C4176C9
1C4DEFDE 6EB4 4396 B67F A728161F6977
Top Bottom