Tent Venting to the Roof..

• Thread starter 30roll
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
30roll

30roll

Via connection to the Furnace and Water Heater Vent..

Right now my Tent is connected to the Dryer Vent which exits the front of the house at ground level. I have a Carbon Filter, but even at 8 weeks of Veg, I walk out the Door and can smell it..

I was thinking I could easily pop off the bottom cap and just connect an elbow and that would go 2 stories to the Roof where I don't think anyone will smell at all. 👍 Plus, it would be 6" diameter all the way instead of necked down to 4" at the Dryer Vent.. 👍👍

Anyone doing this, or think there would be a problem??

Tent venting to the roof

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
Im venting through the roof....nothing like that so i have no idea.Interesting idea though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am not an hvac guy but maybe someone wi the more knowledge will chime in.

i think you shouldnt do that because of backflow. Can be dangerous but i dont remember the details.

BUMP!

30roll

30roll

How so tho?? There's a strong natural draft just standing still. Add a 400+ cfm fan and it should siphon any gas, should it not?

30roll

30roll

Alright, so I had to try it.

Just having a full 6" diameter run improved the flow incredibly.. Even with both Intake and Exhaust Filters on, I could run a slower Fan speed and get faster results to maintain a more consistent humidity and temp levels. There was no comparison at all.

But I did find that the airflow would blow out the Intake opening of the Water Heater Vent. I thought maybe that it was the airflow dynamics; in that the air was hitting the opening edge where the WT Vent enters the main Draft Vent. So I got a 3" elbow to install inside the Main Vent to create a Venturi type effect and create a vacuum to pull the Tank Exhaust out when the Tent Fan was on..

Ddd

50889241017 645b073153 o

50894050623 6ef74188b4 o

This did actually improve WT airflow to a point, but only at lower Tent Fan speeds which unfortunately is still not safe to really use. This tells us that the back pressure created by the Vent exit on the Roof is greater than the vacuum created.

Damn. It worked so good.. If it wasn't that pesky risk of death, I would have killer Tent Venting.. 😀

Dr.B

Dr.B

Make sure you are monitoring for carbon monoxide. If the furnace exhaust backflows through the new connection, and it will definitely try, it could get dangerous.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
What’s the pipe to the left?
Don’t mess with hvac and gas exhaust, very big mistake👎

JJS009

JJS009

I have been doing HVAC for 20+ years, this is a bad fucking idea, growing pot isn’t worth dying for.

In perfect conditions it shouldn’t be a problem, less than perfect conditions it is deadly.

Homegrown81

Homegrown81

I'm not an hvac guy but I've been in construction over 10+ years so I've dabbled and been around it enough to say this could very likely turn into a very dangerous situation. If your worried about the neighbors, mail people etc smelling your grow and since you appear to be growing in the basement already, depending on the size of your exhaust fan (i.e. has enough power), you could always run a double carbon filter. Run one inside the tent for the intake, and then instead of running the exhaust outside hang the 2nd carbon filter up in between the floor joists in the basement, between the two it should practically eliminate the smell.

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
I'm not an hvac guy but I've been in construction over 10+ years so I've dabbled and been around it enough to say this could very likely turn into a very dangerous situation. If your worried about the neighbors, mail people etc smelling your grow and since you appear to be growing in the basement already, depending on the size of your exhaust fan (i.e. has enough power), you could always run a double carbon filter. Run one inside the tent for the intake, and then instead of running the exhaust outside hang the 2nd carbon filter up in between the floor joists in the basement, between the two it should practically eliminate the smell.
So having a filter on the other end would stop the potential mold problem?

30roll

30roll

Not doing it.. It's back to the Dryer Vent..
But the natural draft from a Roof Vent is great. It's always pulling air.

IMG 20210124 213944102

Latest posts

Top Bottom