Terpene loss during flowering at high temps?

• Thread starter BakedMarley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BakedMarley

Where I live humidity is very high. To keep it down during flowering I run a dehumidifier. But as a side effect it increases temperatures. I am with lights on at around 82°. I am concerned that this will make my flowers taste bad. I read that it's best to keep temperature at low to mid 70s. Will high temperatures decrease the taste of flowers big time? Is 82° still ok for great tasting buds?

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Bbs heat and trichromes production
Bbs heat stress and trichromes maturation

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

this also:

"That means if it gets too warm, either as part of the production process, lab analysis, or during consumption, those terpenes may simply disappear. Some terpenes will begin to evaporate off at temperatures as low as 70°F, although most will begin to degrade at around 100°F."

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Where I live humidity is very high. To keep it down during flowering I run a dehumidifier. But as a side effect it increases temperatures. I am with lights on at around 82°. I am concerned that this will make my flowers taste bad. I read that it's best to keep temperature at low to mid 70s. Will high temperatures decrease the taste of flowers big time? Is 82° still ok for great tasting buds?
At 82 I wouldn’t worry I’m there right now, I have plenty of flavor and aromas in my flower

My tent smells like a fresh blueberry pie… well the house does, even a 6” spiderfarmer and carbon filter can’t keep up haha, 10-14 days from harvest based off looks and the mother I’ve hit 84-85 a few times, never been an issue

Yes I have high RH and run a 4500sq ft dehu in a 20x10 lung room with no AC

IMG 4795
IMG 4803
Eledin

Eledin

I agree, nothing to worry about unless your temperature skyrockets. I try to keep it around 25ºC max, can be a bit higher during summer in order to not have to dimm the lights but never to 30ºC. There are two more things to consider besides whats been said.
1. When the plant senses more heat, it starts producing more terpenes.
2. They use the dark cycle to regenerate terpenes lost during the day.
I think the summ of what has been said and this is enough to confirm that no, you shouldnt worry about losing terpenes if your temperatures are around 20-24ºC or less and you can always give them a full day of darkness for more dankness before harvest! Some people say it works, some say it doesnt, I do notice a much stronger smell when I open the tent after 24-48 hours of darkness.
EDIT: My bad I didnt realize that you have it at around 32ºC, did the math wrong in my head when converting. I personally wouldnt but if there's no other choice is not the end of the world for the same reasons stated previosly. Outdoors some strains have to endure around 40ºC before harvest so they have mechanisms to deal with it. If you wanna lower your temperature I would suggest increasing the airflow, do you know by chance what is your airflow in m3/h?

Last edited:
B

BakedMarley

I agree, nothing to worry about unless your temperature skyrockets. I try to keep it around 25ºC max, can be a bit higher during summer in order to not have to dimm the lights but never to 30ºC. There are two more things to consider besides whats been said.
1. When the plant senses more heat, it starts producing more terpenes.
2. They use the dark cycle to regenerate terpenes lost during the day.
I think the summ of what has been said and this is enough to confirm that no, you shouldnt worry about losing terpenes if your temperatures are around 20-24ºC or less and you can always give them a full day of darkness for more dankness before harvest! Some people say it works, some say it doesnt, I do notice a much stronger smell when I open the tent after 24-48 hours of darkness.
EDIT: My bad I didnt realize that you have it at around 32ºC, did the math wrong in my head when converting. I personally wouldnt but if there's no other choice is not the end of the world for the same reasons stated previosly. Outdoors some strains have to endure around 40ºC before harvest so they have mechanisms to deal with it. If you wanna lower your temperature I would suggest increasing the airflow, do you know by chance what is your airflow in m3/h?
I got around 28° to 29°C max temp. Never over 30°C. My airflow is 350 m3/h.
But airflow can't get my temps down because my lung room has the same temperature. Would only be good to bring the humidity down, so that my dehumidifier doesn't have to run that often. Which could ultimately bring my temps down by a tiny bit.

Eledin

Eledin

That airflow is pretty good I would say and yes, I understand, if the temperature in the lung room is the same there's no point on increasing it. You could run an AC in the lung room so you dont lose grow space and with that airflow it should be noticeable in the tent aswell but I understand that might not be an option due to cost. You can bring the humidity down by placing pots with only substrate, since they dont have anything besides that shouldnt be a problem, they only take ground level space, is the only thing I can think of that I tried with things I had at hand and worked to lower it by almost 5%. If I remember correctly I used 4 3 gallon pots on the sides in a 3x3 tent, substrate was peat, as dry as the sahara desert.
EDIT: It wouldnt worry me too much anyway, I had grows with those temps in summer and is not ideal but it wont be a massive difference.

Last edited:
B

BakedMarley

That airflow is pretty good I would say and yes, I understand, if the temperature in the lung room is the same there's no point on increasing it. You could run an AC in the lung room so you dont lose grow space and with that airflow it should be noticeable in the tent aswell but I understand that might not be an option due to cost. You can bring the humidity down by placing pots with only substrate, since they dont have anything besides that shouldnt be a problem, they only take ground level space, is the only thing I can think of that I tried with things I had at hand and worked to lower it by almost 5%. If I remember correctly I used 4 3 gallon pots on the sides in a 3x3 tent, substrate was peat, as dry as the sahara desert.
EDIT: It wouldnt worry me too much anyway, I had grows with those temps in summer and is not ideal but it wont be a massive difference.
Alright, thanks for the advice with the substrate. Definitely worth a try👍

Top Bottom