terpenes and cannabis: breeding on flavor by Greenhouse

• Thread starter jack.gh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jack.gh

Terpens and cannabis: breeding on flavor

The Green House Seed Company has started a real breeding revolution by providing customers (and anyone interested) with terpens profiles of the resin of all its strains. The 2008-2009 seed catalogue contains an example of this analysys for the White Widow, and Jack is busy updating the Green House website with all updated profiles for the other strains. It is truly an innovative step away from the effect-only approach to cannabis and into the world of smell and flavor, the conoisseur way, “a la carte”.
Cannabis is seen by many as a medicine or a recreational drug, but the more subtle aspect of it being an aromatic plant goes too often unnoticed. The herbs we use in our kitchen are considered aromatic plants because they contain a particular terpene profile that gives them a distinctive flavor. Cannabis is so complex from this point of view that the possible combinations are endless, creating a broad spectrum of aromas and flavors that differ with the strains and the way they are cultivated. We are opening a new way of breeding, a new frontier for all growers with a sweet tooth.
To give you an idea of what a terpene is, a quick look at Wikipedia reveals what follows:
The word terpenes defines a large and varied class of hydrocarbons, produced primarily by plants (conifers and cannabis) and more rarely by insects. Terpens are the major components of resin, oils and extracts. The name "terpene" is derived from the word "turpentine". Terpenes function as smell and taste molecules, and also as biosynthetic building blocks for the organism of almost all creatures. Terpenes are one of the most important components of the resin and essential oils of many types of plants and flowers.

Enough with the science. Let’s see how these terpens are affecting cannabis in the process of breeding on flavor.

The list of 16 terpens analyzed by Green House Seed Company is a selection of the most carachteristic and recognizable ones, the ones involved in the distinctive flavor of any strain of cannabis.
A few example:

Alpha-Pinene is an organic compound, found in the oils of many species of many species of pine trees. It is also found in the essential oil of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). 2 types of Alpha-pinene exist in nature, one more common in European pines, the other more common in North America. A mix of the two is present in the oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree. In the Green House range this terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings.

Limonene is a hydrocarbon, classified as a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges. It takes its name from the lemon because lemon and other citrus fruits contain high quantities of this compound, which is responsible for much of their smell. In the Green house Strains is particularly high in the Lemon Skunk and the Big Bang.

Sabinene is a natural monoterpene and it is isolated from the essential oils of a variety of plants, mostly oak trees. Sabinene is one of the chemical compounds that contributes to the spiciness of black pepper and is a major constituent of carrot seed oil. It also occurs in tea tree oil at a low concentration. Again, this terpene is high in the Super Silver Haze and in the Arjan’s Ultra Haze #1.

Myrcene, or β-myrcene, is also an organic compound. It is classified as a hydrocarbon and a monoterpene. It is obtained from the essential oil from various plants: bay, verbena, myrcia (from which is gets its name) and others. Myrcene is one of the most important chemicals used in the perfumery industry. Because of its pleasant odor, it is occasionally used directly. But it is also highly valued as an intermediate for the preparation of flavor and fragrance chemicals such as menthol, citronella, and geraniol. It is extremely high in the White Widow.

Many more terpenes are present in the resin and analyzed, and this represent a guide, a useful tool for a more mature type of smoker, conscious about flavor, and for all breeders interested in following a particular aroma in their lines.

Besides the flavour issues, recent studies suggest that terpenes may play a role in the psychoactivity of cannabinoids. But this is a different story……

T

thc4sim

Interesting stuff on the breakdowns of the terpines - Alpha-Pinene, Limonene, Sabinene & Myrcene..

but are you going to post the rest of em for us?

F

FastForward

Awesome stuff Jack. Whatever criticism might be laid at the door of GHSC, it's outstandingly cool to put solid research out there into the public domain like that. Really mature approach and impressive imho.

In my other life I'm a PhD student and I really appreciate sound research. One of the issues in the computer/IT world that I live in is that there is a lot of commercially driven, private R&D that goes on behind closed doors around the globe. Some makes it to the public domain but for obvious reasons (IP) a lot doesn't and people seek to reverse engineer competitor designs. If more companies were to share their private research there would be greater overall progression in the field but competitive forces often ruin this utopian vision (shared knowledge). It's seriously cool that GHSC is doing this because the more we all learn about terpenes and all the other cocktail ingredients that make up amazing smokes, the better off we all are...

This bud's for you :)

S

Steele Savage

Well , after comin over here , for tha first time .... ever , to tha GreenHouse area ; I've gotta say this research is being done in it's entirety by Sam the Skunkman , with real varieties . I've heard some of tha hoolpla regarding tha Cheese i.e. . Why not use tha original UK Cheese , why use someone else's out crossed version ? Though what your doin' is very mainstream and for tha masses , I fear it won't cut tha mustard with tha other folks that know .

Steele

J

jack.gh

Well , after comin over here , for tha first time .... ever , to tha GreenHouse area ; I've gotta say this research is being done in it's entirety by Sam the Skunkman , with real varieties . I've heard some of tha hoolpla regarding tha Cheese i.e. . Why not use tha original UK Cheese , why use someone else's out crossed version ? Though what your doin' is very mainstream and for tha masses , I fear it won't cut tha mustard with tha other folks that know .

Steele

let me guess, you're representing grindhouse. hmmmm.

B

British_Hempire

While this information is interesting, I see a couple of issues, mostly the fact that a terpenopid profile of a clone is not that informative as we all know that there is variation within a seedline and the plants you grow from seeds will not have this same terpenoid profile, you may have a pheno that does, you may not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom