Tests of different DIY household bulb solutions

• Thread starter LEDTonic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LEDTonic

LEDTonic

It is indeed an impressing fixture. I hope I will be creating something equally fun in the future. I have experimented some with thin metal nets and I must say that they are quite handy to fasten bulbs too.

You attached a photo of a floodlight you bought. I bet if you cut the front lens off
I did find this link where someone has already opened it. Although this is article was from late 2017 and they could possibly have updated or changed their bulb since then.

I'll have to make one.
And I would love to see the result :)

az2000

az2000

I made the folding-arm tent-leg lamp mount:

Leg arm top reflector 1200x900

It's made the same way as the flexible top-mount fixture. (<<link) But, 1) it folds on the horizontal plane. And, 2) I added a "hand" at the end (where the socket mounts) to fold on the vertical plane.

I didn't use the plastic knobs because of the way this one folds. The top-mount fixture, it was hard to get the joints tight enough using wing-nuts. The lights could droop down. The plastic knobs were necessary to be able to crank that down more. But, the way this is horizontal, wing nuts should be good enough.

It's made the same way as the tent-leg socket mounts (<<link, which you see one below the arm mount). But, it uses a 3/4" PVC "T" fitting. The "shoulder" of the folding arm fits in that snuggly (and then I secured it with a 3/16" diameter bolt through the PVC an wood).

The arms will fold together into a small package, with the socket retracted close to the tent leg. But, it's not as close as the clamp-on hardware mounted into the 3/4" PVC coupling (the tent-leg socket mount, which you see one beneath this folding arm mount). So, when a plant is full grown, I think I would use that original tent-leg mount for more clearance. (It would be cool to mount the clamp-on pivot piece into the PVC "T", and use the same tent-leg piece for both.).

When I make another one of these, I'd probably make it shorter. It extends further into the 2' deep tent. than it needs to. I would experiment with shorter segments for a shorter overall length.

The seedlings just sprouted Sunday evening, Monday morning. I'm testing Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix. It seems very well draining. 4-5 yeas ago I saw a bag of that torn open at the store, and thought "omg! that looks perfect." I've wanted to try it, but never got motivated. The seeds broke ground in just 3-3.5 days. That seemed like a good sign. I planted them directly in the soil (no soaking the seeds separately. No fine-peat seedling bed -- which I do with the soil I ususually use, because it seems too chunky for seeds).

They've stretched more than I like seedlings to do. I read that 100-300 ppfd is good for seedlings. And, 200-400. So, I started off at 130ppfd. That might not have been enough. These 4000k lightbulbs aren't as blue as they should be either. So, maybe it should be toward the 300-400ppfd range. Right now I've got it at 330ppfd. (I originally used a globeless lightbulb. I went low on PPFD because I was afraid that direct light might be too intense. I always use globed bulbs in reflectors for seedlings. I should have done that, and put it closer for more PPFD, but also diffuse.

LEDTonic

LEDTonic

This video is waaay overdue, but here it is.
I want to point out that it is made for growers that have none or very little experience with plant lighting.
Either way, I think it displays the relationship between light intensity and distance very clearly, which can otherwise be tricky to understand by many.
There are clickable timestamps in both the video description as well as the comment section.

I have uploaded all PPFD-maps in blog format, but the quality isn't as crisp as I would like it to be.
Anyhow, here are the results in pictures (26 pictures):

Kevuk

Kevuk

Would 4 x Vaxer bulbs be better than a 4 tube 2ft lightwave T5 in a 80cm x 80cm propagation tent?

They are a similar cost if I buy tertial lamps from IKEA for the bulbs.

LEDTonic

LEDTonic

Would 4 x Vaxer bulbs be better than a 4 tube 2ft lightwave T5 in a 80cm x 80cm propagation tent?

They are a similar cost if I buy tertial lamps from IKEA for the bulbs.

Good question! I'm not sure how large area a Lightwave covers and with what intensity, but I'm sure this information can be found online.

Four 10w VÄXER at a distance of 60-70cm above canopy could land somewhere around 100 PPFD evenly over your 80x80cm grow space.

You don't necessarily need a reflector for these bulbs as they have focusing lenses fitted and will be used inside a tent. I'd probably just use a basic lamp holder connected to a cable, especially if it is a cheaper option than the TERTIAL fixture.

I found it super handy to fasten the lamp holders to a grid. It's nice being able to position them and raise/lower them all together with a ratchet connected to the grid.
Screenshot from our first video on this topic:

I hope this information helped :-)

Kevuk

Kevuk

Good question! I'm not sure how large area a Lightwave covers and with what intensity, but I'm sure this information can be found online.

Four 10w VÄXER at a distance of 60-70cm above canopy could land somewhere around 100 PPFD evenly over your 80x80cm grow space.

You don't necessarily need a reflector for these bulbs as they have focusing lenses fitted and will be used inside a tent. I'd probably just use a basic lamp holder connected to a cable, especially if it is a cheaper option than the TERTIAL fixture.

I found it super handy to fasten the lamp holders to a grid. It's nice being able to position them and raise/lower them all together with a ratchet connected to the grid.
Screenshot from our first video on this topic:

I hope this information helped :-)

Thanks for the reply.

09FE78BC 3F45 4438 BA67 66FA70408EC7
This is very similar to the maxi bright and the numbers aren’t great and the footprint is small.

I like your grid set up but the prop tent is tiny. The tertial lamps are well built and adjustable. £9 seems like a bargain.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

It's all about efficiency. Farmers have used CFL lighting for like 1000 years now. You can get 120watt cfl's for about 20 bucks each. The famous T5's were used by cavemen.....they been around so long.😁

Today's technology with LED's and especially the efficiency is hard to beat. Less heat, less power, and better quality light.

Cfl lights are rated at being the absolute WORSE at efficiency. Mainly because a majority of the light produced is wasted or not in the correct spectrum for plant growth.

LED's have come way down in price and are very affordable even to the hobby grower. I can't see why anyone would be using or wasting power with CFL's. A 65watt quantum board will outperform a 200watt CFL. Do the math.....over time you save money and it adds up FAST!

The quality of the plants especially in veg is very noticeable IMHO. Better light, better plants, better yield, etc....

If you can't afford to buy a 75$ light of "PROPER" gear, then wait until you can.

I could take my car engine apart with a screwdriver and a monkey wrench with enough effort, and I would save tons of money on tools...does that mean I should NOT buy the proper tools for the job????? Of course not!!

Kevuk

Kevuk

It's all about efficiency. Farmers have used CFL lighting for like 1000 years now. You can get 120watt cfl's for about 20 bucks each. The famous T5's were used by cavemen.....they been around so long.😁

Today's technology with LED's and especially the efficiency is hard to beat. Less heat, less power, and better quality light.

Cfl lights are rated at being the absolute WORSE at efficiency. Mainly because a majority of the light produced is wasted or not in the correct spectrum for plant growth.

LED's have come way down in price and are very affordable even to the hobby grower. I can't see why anyone would be using or wasting power with CFL's. A 65watt quantum board will outperform a 200watt CFL. Do the math.....over time you save money and it adds up FAST!

The quality of the plants especially in veg is very noticeable IMHO. Better light, better plants, better yield, etc....

If you can't afford to buy a 75$ light of "PROPER" gear, then wait until you can.

I could take my car engine apart with a screwdriver and a monkey wrench with enough effort, and I would save tons of money on tools...does that mean I should NOT buy the proper tools for the job????? Of course not!!

Ive got HLG Diablo quantum boards. This is for a tiny propagation tent.

My car and truck have service packs so I don’t buy car tools. I’d also fuck the engine and void my warranty if I attempted to do anything to either, but I get your point. If anything T5’s are considered “the correct tool” for propagation by most.

Im not bothered about efficiency with 10 - 12 watt bulbs and tubes, I wouldn’t even consider a CFL.

My concern is coverage.

T5’s still seem to be the preferred method for many with cuttings. I just resent paying £90 for a crappy light fitting with 4 £3 tubes.

It’s not worth getting a single 65 watt board shipped to the U.K. (hopefully this will change when uncle Donald gives us a trade deal, EU is a joke with USA imports), which is why I looked at the cheap ts600.

This is only for clones. I’m not using it to veg.

Top Bottom