Thank you everyone - first Harvest

• Thread starter 420ReBeLGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped me along the way with answers to my many many questions!

I just finished harvesting all 4 of my plants (did 1 about 5 days ago, 1 2 days ago, and 2 today) and things are going great..
IMG_20200830_151226737.jpg

Did have a quick Q for everyone tho...

My first batch after 5 days is very very dry. The room was around 48-51 RH and about 71.5F during the process,. It I used a box fan and the nugs were kinda swaying around but it was indirect air movement... So I don't know? Should it be a real gentle airflow?

I've moved all the nugs into my grow tent and just turned off all the fans except the exhaust fan now. So trying to keep it at 71 or lower F and 50%RH now in hopes that the buds will turn out better

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Here are the keys to drying properly.. VERY gentle airflow, stems should not be moving around in the breeze. Temperature and humidity is easy to remember, 60/60. Aim for 60f and 60%RH. Use humidifiers, dehu, heaters, AC, whatever you need to do to get as close to those numbers as possible. When I do it it takes 2-3 weeks hanging before the buds are ready to be removed and trimmed. And even then they are still a little squishy inside.

If your nips arent hard in there it's too warm. And humidity should never go below 55% if you can avoid it. 60RH is ideal at 60F

Last edited:
Trippyhippette

Trippyhippette

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped me along the way with answers to my many many questions!

I just finished harvesting all 4 of my plants (did 1 about 5 days ago, 1 2 days ago, and 2 today) and things are going great..View attachment 1023625

My first batch after 5 days is very very dry. The room was around 48-51 RH and about 71.5F during the process,. It I used a box fan and the nugs were kinda swaying around but it was indirect air movement... So I don't know? Should it be a real gentle airflow?

I've moved all the nugs into my grow tent and just turned off all the fans except the exhaust fan now. So trying to keep it at 71 or lower F and 50%RH now in hopes that the buds will turn out better
Good looking! Congrats man! How much did you end up pulling dry? They look good!

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Here are the keys to drying properly.. VERY gentle airflow, stems should not be moving around in the breeze. Temperature and humidity is easy to remember, 60/60. Aim for 60f and 60%RH. Use humidifiers, dehu, heaters, AC, whatever you need to do to get as close to those numbers as possible. When I do it it takes 2-3 weeks hanging before the buds are ready to be removed and trimmed. And even then they are still a little squishy inside.

If your nips arent hard in there it's too warm. And humidity should never go below 55% if you can avoid it. 60RH is ideal at 60F
Everywhere I have read says to cut them up, hang them in 50%rh and 70F for 5-12 days and then cure. I will have to try the 60/60 next time for sure.
Good looking! Congrats man! How much did you end up pulling dry? They look good!
I have no idea yet. I'm still drying 3 of the plants and then they all gotta cure for a few weeks before I start turning everything into canna powder :-)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Everywhere I have read says to cut them up, hang them in 50%rh and 70F for 5-12 days and then cure. I will have to try the 60/60 next time for sure.

Yeah that's misguided... humidity that low in temps that high... for sure going to dry too fast.

Not that it will ruin the crop or anything, but you'll probably find your buds get a bit crispy and dusty rather than sticky and squishy. Drying is as fine of an art as growing to be honest

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Yeah that's misguided... humidity that low in temps that high... for sure going to dry too fast.

Not that it will ruin the crop or anything, but you'll probably find your buds get a bit crispy and dusty rather than sticky and squishy. Drying is as fine of an art as growing to be honest
I'll have to invest in something than. Cause all the hard work kinda is for nothing if your budz aren't enjoyable.

The lowest I can get the temps in my tent are like 72F, should I be keeping the RH higher for now? I have it around 50% +-2 right now. I figure I will be throwing them into the jars after 5-10 or so days (when stems snap) and then throwing in a Boveda 62% pack will hopefully get the back in track.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I just finished harvesting all 4 of my plants (did 1 about 5 days ago, 1 2 days ago, and 2 today) and things are going great..View attachment 1023625

Congratulations on your first grow! Fill up a jar with your bud and put a hygrometer in it and leave it sealed for several hours and then you'll have the RH of your buds

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Congratulations on your first grow! Fill up a jar with your bud and put a hygrometer in it and leave it sealed for several hours and then you'll have the RH of your buds
After leaving them in a jar 80% full over night I found them the next day to have about 54% RH at 73F. I'll be dropping the pack in tomorrow to hopefully get it to come up a little to help keep them longer.
My fingers are crossed that since the last 3 plants are now hanging in the tent with slow airflow, they will turn out better than the first batch.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

After leaving them in a jar 80% full over night I found them the next day to have about 54% RH at 73F. I'll be dropping the pack in tomorrow to hopefully get it to come up a little to help keep them longer.
My fingers are crossed that since the last 3 plants are now hanging in the tent with slow airflow, they will turn out better than the first batch.
After 4 days hanging I do that jar test every day until it gets to 60% or slightly below, that's when I start my cure; Others May do it differently I can just tell you how I do it, good luck!

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Since I moved them into the tent and only have a gentle flow of air inside and my standard exhaust out the nugs look to be drying much slower and more even.
I don't know if that will make much of a diff in the long run, but we shall see. Once these are all into jars, it will be time to setup the DWC system to start learning how to manage it day by day.
I'll be sure to update with actual dry #s from harvest. I'm thinking something like a 1/4 Lb for all 4 plants total should be about right.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Ok, wanted to share an update with everyone...

After all was said and done and they hung about 8 days total. . . .Drum roll please . . . .

237 grams dry (about 0.52 lbs) We are stoked and happy with the outcome. They are now in jars going through the burping stages for the next week or two. After which time I'll throw in a 62% RH pack and pop em once every month.

Quick question... After waiting the 8 days and putting them into jars I noticed when handling them that they are very dry. I put them all into the jars and after 24 hours the RH reads no higher than 55%. Once I add the 62% I'm sure over time they will go up to 62% but I feel like I'm messing up the drying stage.

Side note : THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! I am so happy to finally have a first grow under my belt. Now its time to start the new setup and get into the world of DWC.

Pics . . .
IMG 20200828 152127484

I'll get some better ones soon. These guys are CRAZY covered in trics. I think the biggest nug dry was 13 grams

IMG 20200830 151226737
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Congratulations on your first harvest! Unfortunately the 62% pack will not make the humidity in the bud go up; many people say the bud will no longer cure below 57%rh, I don't know if that's true or not but I do keep my bud above 57%

I dry it at 60% RH with a humidifier and controller, perhaps something like that might help you in the future

After 4 days hanging I fill a jar and put a hygrometer in it and let it sit for four or five hours to get an idea of the RH of the bud

I check this way everyday until I get it at 60% or slightly below, that's where I start the Cure; Others May do it differently, hope this helps!

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Congratulations on your first harvest! Unfortunately the 62% pack will not make the humidity in the bud go up; many people say the bud will no longer cure below 57%rh, I don't know if that's true or not but I do keep my bud above 57%

I dry it at 60% RH with a humidifier and controller, perhaps something like that might help you in the future

After 4 days hanging I fill a jar and put a hygrometer in it and let it sit for four or five hours to get an idea of the RH of the bud

I check this way everyday until I get it at 60% or slightly below, that's where I start the Cure; Others May do it differently, hope this helps!
So, for all the budz I have now at 55 RH, I'm still going to burp them yes? Or is it not even worth it at this point?
Should I just throw the pack in the jars and not even burp them? Just want to try and make sure they are ok for long term storage. (I just tried the THC powder recipe and that shit didn't make powder at all! Haha more like thick light green clumps.)
In the future I will try to do what people have stated, 60F/60%RH for drying with gentle air movement.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So, for all the budz I have now at 55 RH, I'm still going to burp them yes? Or is it not even worth it at this point?
Should I just throw the pack in the jars and not even burp them? Just want to try and make sure they are ok for long term storage. (I just tried the THC powder recipe and that shit didn't make powder at all! Haha more like thick light green clumps.)
In the future I will try to do what people have stated, 60F/60%RH for drying with gentle air movement.
I would burp them

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Final Q... Do you use a AC to keep your temp down during dry? I could get my RH up to 60% but the temp would still be like 70-72F. Is that safe, or is that mold territory?
I can only control my humidity, not temperature. Keep air moving and you'll be fine

Last edited:
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I cure/dry mine in a 70 degree atmosphere no mold
Welp, that does it for me then. 70F and 60RH. I read constantly to have it from 45-55RH and 60-70F so I tried to keep it below 55%, don't know why everyone says that.
Guess it will be just slight airflow and 70F and 60RH. I got another plant that will be finished in the next 4 weeks or so, and will try out the 60% RH on that one.

Top Bottom