That one strain that ain't a happy camper...

• Thread starter mysticepipedon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Every once in a while I grow a strain that just doesn't like the soil mix that every other plant likes. In my present grow, it's Irie's Golden Goat fem. I named one of them the Whiny Little Bitch.

The Golden Goat fem is a selfed fem of a polyhybrid, so anything can happen. But what these three have in common are: weak rooting, a demand for a LOT of calcium and what looks like a sulfur deficiency. The more sativa-looking the leaves, the more it has that chlorosis at the growing points. This is the worst of the three (the WLB):
That one strain that aint a happy camper

When this one germed, it produced it's first true leaves, then sat there for about a week, doing nothing. Then two branches came out, like I had topped it. You can see plenty of Ca def. symptoms on the leaves.

These are the other two. It seems like the "more sativa" the leaves look, the more it has issues.
That one strain that aint a happy camper 2

Soil slurry pH is 6.5. I would guess these guys want a different pH, but I don't know which direction. I'm thinking maybe a foliar feed would be a better idea.

Any suggestions on foliar feeding? As you can see, the one in the back did a little hooking — from a supplemental soil feeding. All other plants are deep green and happy as clams. I'm not even sure what I want to feed them, foliarly, aside from S and maybe some micronutes.

It is not my intent to bad-mouth Irie Genetics. I've gotten some gems from them, and the plants to the left of these are another Irie fem strain, which are growing like champs (Bebop). I've also heard too much about this strain from friends in Colorado not to grow these gals out — though I was tempted to rip the WLB out on several occasions.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Elenors VF-11 is great for foliage spraying. Doesn’t take much and has lots of micro and some macro nutrients to make plants happy.

I’ve had the same experience as you from time to time. Some plants are just more picky than others. A soil test might help you find what she’s missing. MySoil sells a decent soil test on Amazon for $29.

Latest posts

Top Bottom