THC % in weed is misrepresented. It is not 20% ( eg) it is closer to 2 or 3% .

• Thread starter johnsmith_559
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I don't care as long as it gets me stoned, as far as I'm concerned only good shit and bad shit exists, except from the in betweens of course 😁
On a more serious note, it wouldn't surprise me that if you extracted that THC-A crystal that is 99.9% and looks like meth that you would only get a yield of 2-3g per 100g

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You are wrong bro, back in the 70s thca content was very low, nowadays thca is much higher due to selective breeding with a few strains breaking 30% thca, there is no dispute that today's cannabis has much higher thca content, in the mid 70s i could smoke a whole joint by myself no problem bc the thca content was so low, now after 3 puffs im baked, the change occurred in the early 80s at harvest time there was no weed to be found then around x mass weed started coming with no seeds, no more Columbian, no more Mexican, the weed was grown in country and was more expensive but was much better, over the years thca content kept improving with no beans in your weed, i think now we are at the high end as a plant cant produce thca levels much higher, back in the day we had real hashish witch was much stronger than flower as it was made from trichome and concentrated, there has to be a stop point in how much thca a plant can produce but it is much much higher than 3% thca.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Ok here let me try to explain it better:

Lets say we have a bud and here are some test results from the bud:

20% of the bud is thc
20% of the trichomes are thc (according to him this is a lot but I still haven't seen any sources to indicate that)

That would mean that the bud is 100% trichomes, no leaf matter.
from looking at a bud you can see that up to 30% it is trichomes, which I've personally never seen but I'm sure it exists.
If the thc percentage of the bud is tested at 20% thc then thc would have to make up 66.7% of the trichomes.

If anybody can find a trusted source saying what percent of trichomes are thc then that would be really helpful to this discussion.

RR1

RR1

Hello
so this post got me banned from 2 other forms. 700 hate messages. 4 death threats and an offer to fly to northern BC to fight a guy .I am hoping we can do better here.( read into that what you will :)
I would appreciate some ground rules. :
- no emojis
- no name calling
- no indirect name calling by negative comparisons ( ie my dog is smarter than you)
- please post references so we can discuss. Not everyone will be completely familiar with all the terms relating to testing such as hplc ( high pressure liquid chromatography) or the parts of the plants that contain thc such as trichomes.
ok , here is my first question to be explained:

if 100 grams of weed is rated at 20% thc then that should mean 20g thc
but the most resin (trichomes ) I have ever harvested or heard of anyone harvesting
is around 15 % ( my observations have been 10 to 15% trichomes back from seiving or ice water crystal extraction. I have never read of any higher) .
I know that the thc needs to be decarboxylted? to turn the thca to thc .
let's assume that 100 % of all thc analogues are converted successfully for sake of math .
where does the 20grams of thc come from if the trichomes that produce them ( in the head cell according R Clark in Marijuanna Botony ) when those trichomes are NOT 100% thc .they also contain terpenes and calcium carbonate.
the common belief math is
100 grams weed at 20% thc should be 20 grams of thc ,
so where does the 20 grams of thc come from if trichomes are 15% max ? how can that be ? it can't.
the mistake is NO ONE POSTS THE PROCEDURE FOR TAKING SAMPLES FOR HPLC. IT REQUIRES THE SAMPLE TO BE PROCESSED TO REMOVE LEAF AND THE TRICHOMES SEPERATED AND DISSOLVED IN LAB GRADE METHANOL.
The THC content is rated based on the extracted trichomes NOT the weed
it's the trichome that is 20% THC NOT the leaf matter .
so the actual math is :
100 gram weed rated at 20% thc
contains 15% of trichomes that produce the thc as well as terpenes and calcium carbonate. the thc level is 20%
the actual math is .
100 grams weed at thc 20%
15 gram trichomes at 20% thc
100x 0.15 = 15 grams x 20% = 3gram thc
5here is 3 gram thc in 100 gram weed which makes weed 3% thc NOT 20 % .
it is a misrepresentation based on no disclosure of testing procedure .
bottom line..weed is 3% at best thc NOT 20%
how could you get 20grams of thc out of 15 grams trichomes.?
that would contravene the law of physics and the law of CONSERVATION of mass and ENERGY .

let the games begin but try to be polite please:)
Wow. Doesn't matter. Find a strain you like, preferably something a little less sativa, and take 4 bong hits in a row. Then see if you still care. ;)
Good luck with this one.
RR1
Don't worry we won't throw you out.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Idk what you are talking about and only kind of care, but I think this might be toward what you are asking...

Screenshot 2020 11 13 at 84003 AM

Screenshot 2020 11 13 at 84217 AM

The copernicus joke made me laugh though.

(I have no idea why you would be stuck on a rate as opposed to raw measure, if that is what is going on. Again I do not care enough to look more closely and check. sorry i am a bad guy).

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Idk what you are talking about and only kind of care, but I think this might be toward what you are asking...

View attachment 1055105
View attachment 1055106

The copernicus joke made me laugh though.

(I have no idea why you would be stuck on a rate as opposed to raw measure, if that is what is going on. Again I do not care enough to look more closely and check. sorry i am a bad guy).
No, I'm more wondering what makes up a trichome.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
No, I'm more wondering what makes up a trichome.
Is that not in Clarke? I mean that plus some chemistry should probably satisfy that curiosity. If you don't have enough chemistry then i guess you can pick it up.

StoninStanley

StoninStanley

If my 1 gram of flower is 30% THC then almost supposedly 1/3 of it's total mass is just THC molecules. I find that hard to believe, too, and question the validity of THC percentages just based on this. The fact that some bud is better with supposedly lower THC levels doesn't help the confusion. And yeah, I sniff on some terpenes and shit but for the most part I really don't think terpenes are as powerful as people say. Even if they are, they are only like 2-3% of the bud

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
If my 1 gram of flower is 30% THC then almost supposedly 1/3 of it's total mass is just THC molecules. I find that hard to believe, too, and question the validity of THC percentages just based on this. The fact that some bud is better with supposedly lower THC levels doesn't help the confusion. And yeah, I sniff on some terpenes and shit but for the most part I really don't think terpenes are as powerful as people say. Even if they are, they are only like 2-3% of the bud
Thankfully, you don't have to believe to get the effects. This sh*t ain't gryffindor.

And obviously you are pointing to the stone cold fact that THC does not equal power of high. It's more complex than that. There are interactions between cannabinoids and terpenes and flavonoids and so on.

Most high thc strains don't do much for me. The high mostly sucks. Basic af.

StoninStanley

StoninStanley

And obviously you are pointing to the stone cold fact that THC does not equal power of high. It's more complex than that. There are interactions between cannabinoids and terpenes and flavonoids and so on.

I actually personally think that it is just the different types of THC, and maybe CBN, in the bud and almost nothing else giving us the feelings we want. I came to this conclusion from using lots of CBD/CBG buds and oils and finding them, even mixing them with THC, to be nothing like what I was looking for in bud. You're right about most very high THC strains. Very basic feeling and short acting, not my personal choice either.

beluga

beluga

I actually personally think that it is just the different types of THC, and maybe CBN, in the bud and almost nothing else giving us the feelings we want. I came to this conclusion from using lots of CBD/CBG buds and oils and finding them, even mixing them with THC, to be nothing like what I was looking for in bud. You're right about most very high THC strains. Very basic feeling and short acting, not my personal choice either.
There's too much phytochemical inter/action going on for that to be true.
Even just the aromatic effect on your olfactory system has a significant impact on the effect that it gives you.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
This is the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for so far:
Fig. 5
figure5
Overlay of F-HCARS relative abundance maps and EPI-HTPF abundance maps of C. sativa var. Bedrobinol (a) and C. sativa var. Fedora (b). Red: C-H stretching signal similar to THCA; Yellow: C-H stretching signal most similar to CBGA; Orange: C-H stretching similar to CBDA/myrcene, White: TPF of organic substances (em 380–560 nm); Green: TPF of chlorophyll a (em 560–750 nm). Detailed picture of Bedrobinol disk cells (c-e). TPF of organic substances highlight the disk cell morphology (c), F-HCARS signals indicate the presence of CBGA and/or a complex mixture of different aliphatic C-H rich substances (d), F-HCARS signals cover the area of organic fluorescence revealing CBGA and/or a complex mixture of different aliphatic C-H-rich substances is almost exclusively localised inside the disk cells (e). Scale bars 50 μm (a and b); Scale bar 10 μm (c-e)

As you can see, thca does not make up the majority of the trichome.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
^According to that, 0% of the stalk contains thca therefor all of the thca is is the head.
For arguments sake, lets say that 75% of the head is thca and the bud tests at 20% thc.
20/0.75=26.67 meaning that 26.67% of the bud is trichome heads.
If you look at any trichomes, you can see that half of its mass is the head (maximum, looks more like 20%) so +53% of the bud must be trichomes for it to test at 20% thc.
Those calculations are based on these assumptions (which may be completely incorrect):
  • 75% of the trichome heads are thca
  • Thca is only found in the trichome heads
  • The trichome is made up of maximum 50% head and minimum 50% stalk

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pretty sure thc is measured by total weight compared with the plant matter. So 20% thc weed is 20% thc by weight. I assume the oil in the trichomes is heavier than dry plant matter.

The percentage of thc in the trichome itself is a different measure and can be most of it.

And labs have no real standard of testing and growers give only the frostiest buds to be tested so no consistency tested bud to bud.

The OP makes statements that are not true to base this discussion off of. It is not worth the argument.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom