The art of drying/curing in dry cali

• Thread starter Revolt!
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Revolt!

So its really fucking dry in northern cali, as everyone knows. Humidity doesn't get above 30% if you're lucky. I've been having some problems with the art of drying and curing weed in this such dry environment. I first tried the dry until stem breaks, about 7 days (!!)... wow, waaaay to dry, no smell/flavor and brittle. I just chopped some buds, and since its so hot and dry at the same time, I put them directly in brown paper bags, put a humidity gauge in and its only reading 37% (it's only been about 2 hours though). If I were to hang these things they would dry completely in about 3-4 days flat! What are some tricks that you guys use for getting the perfect cured pot in these extremely dry & hot conditions?:pimp:

J

JoE_AnTiX77

well what I do is check the buds til they seem dry but the stem still bends a bit, then you put the buds in a jar and "burp" them til your they are nice and solid... depending on where you are it would be faster or slower but if it dries faster you should be checking them constantly until you find whats right

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I do the same as you do for growing. Control the enviroment.
Add humidity and/or cooling. leave out some tray or buckets w water

or can use a humidifier w a humistat (use distilled water) Depending the size of what your curing, There are also models for cigars .

That helps to bump the humidity and slow things down. Can also check also out the cigar industry for techniques and tools. Cigars will dry out and lose flavor just like buds if kept in a dry enviroment.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Initial drying, go into paper bags down in the basement. My basement is my secret. A basement in California? GET OUT! Yep.

In any event, a humidifier is the best way to help drive humidity up in my opinion. But you can make humidity trays that will only rely on evaporation to have effect.

R

Revolt!

I've heard of ways to go directly from harvest into brown paper bags for a more slow dry. Don't even hang them, just straight into bags or boxes. What do you guys think of this?

T

tumbleweed

From Northern CA, as said above, dry by hanging (coolest area you have, and dark, I use a kitchen cabinet, easy to check) until they feel dry, but the stems are not, trim off any extra stems at this point, put in "sealed" glass jars, I use mason jars with good seals, burp at least daily to remove excessive moisture, then keep sealed until use.

To me, this is the best way to keep good bud good, and make it smoke even better.

Good luck.

p.s. Another reason for hanging vs. a paper bag (which will only make them dry faster) is to not have flat spots on the buds, only the best.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've heard of ways to go directly from harvest into brown paper bags for a more slow dry. Don't even hang them, just straight into bags or boxes. What do you guys think of this?
No, they've got to dry a little bit at least or the buds will become all squished.

R

Revolt!

From Northern CA, as said above, dry by hanging (coolest area you have, and dark, I use a kitchen cabinet, easy to check) until they feel dry, but the stems are not, trim off any extra stems at this point,.

About how many days does this normaly take for them to be ready to jar up? Some of mine are at 2 days, and starting to feel a little crispy (but still squishy).

I managed to get my humidifier to work, its up to 55%-60% right now, but the temps are also up (85o). Anyone know of any cool energy-saving (non-A/C) ways to cool a closet down about 10o? Maybe freezing gal jugs and blowing a fan over them? This is just for personal so I don't really want to have to put anymore $ into then I'll absolutly need to, money's tight.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

In Colorado we get super low humidity, less that 5% in the winter. We use a humidifier and a dehumidifier at the same time, and try to draw out the dry to 10+ days, or as long as possible. We also do a dry trim, only removing the large fan leaves when we chop, letting everything else dry on the vine. Basically you need to just find a way to slow down the drying process without getting mold/mildew issues. I think you are aiming for around 50% RH in your drying room, with good circulation.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Um, if you're north of 80 you know what's coming, right?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Anyone who's in NorCal knows what I'm talkin' about. We've got rain coming already.

R

Revolt!

Good, can't wait for the rain to come! The winters up here is what makes it nice, I think. Can't stand the dry hot summers. I guess I'm the only one in norcal that doesn't know what your talking about.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're not growing OD? I don't know anyone who grows OD who's not always checking the weather. And daylight hours. This is a big month for change. I need to see if I still have that roll of clear plastic sheeting.

R

Revolt!

No, not outdoors, wish I was, but I only live in an apt. yeah totally if I was outdoors I've be checking it constantly! But once the temps drop, I won't have to have the A/C inside anymore for the plants, so I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the advice!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So you don't mind, then, if we OD peeps ask the Gawds of Whether <insert winky of absolution here> to hold off on the big rains for a bit, yeah?

T

tngreen

growing in cali has def been an adjustment. I hang in a cardboard box for 2-3 days, trim into nugs, and then into the jars. this greatly slows down the process and gives me complete control. so easy to overdry, def done that with a few. im sure a humidifier could help a lot

R

Revolt!

Haha, never knew that such a thing as a "cool mist dehumidifer" existed before now! I've been running a hot steam one that I've had forever, shits been getting my closet hot as hell. Well, these AlienDawg's are on 2, going on 3 of drying in the closet. The humidity has been 50-60%, but the temps have been hovering around 85o. hopefully they don't dry to fast, hoping to get about atleast 5 day dry on them....

R

Revolt!

growing in cali has def been an adjustment. I hang in a cardboard box for 2-3 days, trim into nugs, and then into the jars. this greatly slows down the process and gives me complete control. so easy to overdry, def done that with a few. im sure a humidifier could help a lot

Sounds like a great idea! Are the buds still moist on the outsides when you jar them? And what is your normal temps & humidity in the box?

Latest posts

Top Bottom