the benefits of growing in net pots

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibiking

Hi guys, I would like to share with you my own way of growing in soil, using net pots. I think you would like it.
this K.I.S.S method is great for the home user (Keep It Stupid Simple).
If you have any comment - I will be happy to read and learn.

So it goes like this:
I plant my seed in a small net-pot (filled with soil, of course), and wait until I see it is full of roots, then I re-plant the net-pot into a bigger net-pot (without extracting the plant so no harm is done to the roots), and so on and so on.
the net-pots are "sitting" in tin cans, so roots are in total darkness (except for when I examine it, of course).

the advantages I see in my way are as follow :
  • drainage
    • I am not worried about draining my soil. the net gives me a 100% drainage
  • breathing roots
    • the net-pots let plenty of air enter the soil. moreover, because I re-plant my pots, the size of the pot is always the same as the size of my roots, so the tip of the roots is hanging out from the pot. roots that touch this air can always breath, what makes them strong and healthy.
    • because the roots touch the air, it is almost impossible to over water, avoiding root rot and other health issues.
  • Examining the roots
    • because I have easy excess to the roots, I can check the roots regularly. from my experience, looking at your roots gives you the best information about your plant needs.
  • learning how much to irrigate
    • only with net pots I learnt how slowly I need to water my plants. with net-pots you know exactly when the soil is 100% soaked with water.
  • learning when to irrigate
    • seeing the roots teaches you when to water your plants. when the roots are shrinking, it means the plant is thirsty. this is the most exact way I have found to learn the timing of my irrigating.
    • if you wait until the leaves looks thirsty - you are too late.
    • if you wait till the soil is light weighted - you are too late.
    • only seeing the roots made me understand it.
  • fast wet/dry cycle
    • because I have the perfect drainage, I can water my plant every day, and by the next day it will be almost dry.
    • because the size of the net-pot is always the same as the size of the roots, I only water soil with roots, avoiding watering "empty soil", which damages the wet/dry cycle.
  • water without take the plant out of its closet (or wherever you hide it)
    • the net pot sits in a tin can, and the tin can collects the small amount of drainage water. it makes my life much easier, being able to water my pot with a simple 90 seconds procedure. no moving pots around the house, which saves a lot of mess (and time).
  • using the hole size of the pot
    • roots grow downwards, then, when they reach the bottom of the pot, they spread to the sides. from my experience, when you plant a seed into a big pot, eventually most of the upper part of the soil will not have roots, they are all at the bottom. by giving my roots a small net-pot, I force them to grow horizontally, so eventually I have a pot full with roots in all the soil's volume.
I have plenty more to write, but I think you got the idea.
if you would like me to add photos, or give more information, please reply.

thank you all, hope you found it interesting

BigCube

BigCube

Pretty much the same as using air pots or felt pots. Not bad for that style. I can picture them drying out real fast in flower though. Water 3 or 4 times a day kind of deal.

Take some pictures, show us a practical setup. Sounds interesting.

B

bibiking

WOW BigCube, what an honor, thank you for your reply

I attached some photos, as you asked. I have there 2 pots, one of them is 3 weeks old, and the other is 5 weeks old. what do you think?
i grow it with cfl light (I have led for the flowering stage), and I grow it in hot weather (34 celsius or 93 fahrenheit).

it is different from air pots because I can re-plant it again and again, and for me it makes a huge difference. seeing the roots during all stages taught me everything I know (which isn't much). I grew hydro for 3 years, and I failed each and every time. thanks to this forum I changed to soil and it changed my life.

what do you think of my system? I just want to have 10 grams a month, so I am looking for the easiest way to grow some good weed.

you said to water 3-4 times a day??? isn't it too much? won't I get root rot?

thank you very much for your reply

Lord Bonkey

Lord Bonkey

okay, this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out...
why not just use normal pots? or even bags?

you kids today with your rap music, your ipods and your airpots...
When I was your age we had non apple branded mp3 players, we stole all kinds of music, and our pots were black and solid...
and it was better... I think... I dont really remember I was pretty high...

BigCube

BigCube

WOW BigCube, what an honor, thank you for your reply

I attached some photos, as you asked. I have there 2 pots, one of them is 3 weeks old, and the other is 5 weeks old. what do you think?
i grow it with cfl light (I have led for the flowering stage), and I grow it in hot weather (34 celsius or 93 fahrenheit).

it is different from air pots because I can re-plant it again and again, and for me it makes a huge difference. seeing the roots during all stages taught me everything I know (which isn't much). I grew hydro for 3 years, and I failed each and every time. thanks to this forum I changed to soil and it changed my life.

what do you think of my system? I just want to have 10 grams a month, so I am looking for the easiest way to grow some good weed.

you said to water 3-4 times a day??? isn't it too much? won't I get root rot?

thank you very much for your reply

In flower they will be very thirsty. If you're using net pots, they will dry out fast. Nothing you couldn't keep on top of. But something to watch out for.

Whatever works for you man! BTW I can't see any pictures 🙁

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
okay, this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out...
why not just use normal pots? or even bags?

you kids today with your rap music, your ipods and your airpots...
When I was your age we had non apple branded mp3 players, we stole all kinds of music, and our pots were black and solid...
and it was better... I think... I dont really remember I was pretty high...
mp3? was that after the lp33 or 45? My mother used 78's but I'm confused to which came first. I'm not sure I can agree with the better pot back then. Todays high THC & tasty new weed blows the old sht out of the water for me. I remember some of that old sht too like the Thai-stick that had this great taste but nothing like todays Bubblegum/grape jelly/ fruitpie/ strawberry yogurt/Bannana flavored sherbet pot lol

Lord Bonkey

Lord Bonkey

mp3? was that after the lp33 or 45? My mother used 78's but I'm confused to which came first. I'm not sure I can agree with the better pot back then. Todays high THC & tasty new weed blows the old sht out of the water for me. I remember some of that old sht too like the Thai-stick that had this great taste but nothing like todays Bubblegum/grape jelly/ fruitpie/ strawberry yogurt/Bannana flavored sherbet pot lol

I meant the early 00s lol
If I had to link mp3s to somthing it would be 8tracks because they don't skip when you hit a bump
But ya the weeds better now than it was than too

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

hahahahah i still have my albums from that era,all cassettes are gone,have 45 to ,lmao you must not have smoked the true thai stick,maybe just thai flower,thai stick is wrapped with thread or hemp and dipped in opium,that the real stuff.
i cant argue the new from old because a brother member brought to my attention old school for someone born in 60,70, 80,90 there stuff would have been old school hahahah @jumpincactus got my butt good with that one lol,i dont even and havent even tried the new strains other than blue dream in years,i just grow what i got ,they all suit my twisted mind well lmao

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
hahahahah i still have my albums from that era,all cassettes are gone,have 45 to ,lmao you must not have smoked the true thai stick,maybe just thai flower,thai stick is wrapped with thread or hemp and dipped in opium,that the real stuff.
i cant argue the new from old because a brother member brought to my attention old school for someone born in 60,70, 80,90 there stuff would have been old school hahahah @jumpincactus got my butt good with that one lol,i dont even and havent even tried the new strains other than blue dream in years,i just grow what i got ,they all suit my twisted mind well lmao
For a couple of years before they legalized it here ( last year) I had an opportunity to get into just about every dispensary in the area selling my pipes. Often they offered product in place of cash for them so I was able to try a variety of these new tasty and sometimes even gagable flavored pot with fruity fancy names. I wasn't overly impressed with the high, some tasted nice but I don't know, it seems to be more catered to the young these days with candied names.

B

bibiking

Here are the photos again. thank you :)
one pot is 3 weeks old, the other is 5 weeks old. both have photos of the roots and of the canopy.

thank you for your help

5 weeks old   canopy
3 weeks old   canopy
3 weeks old   roots
5 weeks old   roots
Top Bottom