The BEST strains of all time. Vote here!

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Totally concur with mid 70s top shelf rare buds such as Hawaiian Red Hair ($200/oz), Thai Sticks definitely with opium ($150-$200/oz), Nepalese Finger Hash (extreme lung expansion), and my all time favorite, “Real” Acapulco Gold ($40/oz) when all other trash was going for $15/oz. Four hard Corp stoners would get toasted on a pin joint. I miss those days☹️
I have to throw Panama Red and the Columbian Gold in with this list. Those were the days that cannabis really appealed to me the most. The weed seemed to have a much more distinct relaxing (serotonin) effect in my mind. Todays weeds have so much more energy (norepinephrine) or narcotic (dopamine) effects
to them, it seems.

Maybe it's more how my body responds to things these days, but I don't think that's the case. I think cultivars have evolved, and some of those older "mellower" effects have either been lost, or perhaps overshadowed somehow. Certainly some of the high CBD and CBG strains retain some of these qualities.

Last edited:
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Interesting points frankster, I think its hard to say which strain is the best. I havee simply not tried them all and therefore cant judge. And I have mostly had access to hash, not weed.

But, red libanese, the rare Asian Black hash (probably Nepalese) and afghan Black is top rankin for me.
Morocco also have some good from time to time..but its never the best or the second best that goes to export there I know

DismalDude

DismalDude

This thread takes me back to the oblivious care free days of old... From 79 to 82 in Macomb county MI we got the best smoke,the best deals... It was an amazing time. Columbian Gold was a big hit along with the Red Bud,etc. Lot's of piney terps and strains that didn't even have a name but so good. The blonde Lebanese hashish was a fav along with balls of sweet bouquet opium. Hell,even that Mexican brick wasn't bad at all after you broke it apart and cleaned the ounce or two of seeds and stem from it. My absolute favorite was when the Hawaiian came to town. That was some special smoke and expensive for the time. We could only get it by the gram and it was $10-$12! That was a lot of money for us at the time but so worth it. They either called it just plain Hawaiian or sometimes got the Maui Wowi. Lol, I could get a qp of red bud for $85 at that time. These days we have all of this incredible cannabis and hybrids seem to just go on forever. People say cannabis is so much better now,more potent,etc. but I would gladly take any of the smoke from then and be happy as hell today. As far as best strain? I can't say any particular strain but for me it would be some of those old sativas for sure. Been looking at some land race sativas for the future. Whatever the strain it has to be as clean as clean can be when finished. Of course that's on the farmer. I can taste when it's not and I've come across quite a bit of that unfortunately. Ok,I'm rambling but good thread,took me down memory lane this morning.

logdog

logdog

Williams Wonder in the early to mid 90's was a definite cut above the usually green bud I was getting back then, a wake and bake was a total commitment, LOL We also had a local CNY strain called Bobs Bud, local legend was it was bred by a local dairy farmer, certainly not the strongest but had a great piney taste and made you giggle your ass off. I was growing outside then and can personally attest you could shake snow off of those and they kept hanging in there to the finish.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

This thread takes me back to the oblivious care free days of old... From 79 to 82 in Macomb county MI we got the best smoke,the best deals... It was an amazing time. Columbian Gold was a big hit along with the Red Bud,etc. Lot's of piney terps and strains that didn't even have a name but so good. The blonde Lebanese hashish was a fav along with balls of sweet bouquet opium. Hell,even that Mexican brick wasn't bad at all after you broke it apart and cleaned the ounce or two of seeds and stem from it. My absolute favorite was when the Hawaiian came to town. That was some special smoke and expensive for the time. We could only get it by the gram and it was $10-$12! That was a lot of money for us at the time but so worth it. They either called it just plain Hawaiian or sometimes got the Maui Wowi. Lol, I could get a qp of red bud for $85 at that time. These days we have all of this incredible cannabis and hybrids seem to just go on forever. People say cannabis is so much better now,more potent,etc. but I would gladly take any of the smoke from then and be happy as hell today. As far as best strain? I can't say any particular strain but for me it would be some of those old sativas for sure. Been looking at some land race sativas for the future. Whatever the strain it has to be as clean as clean can be when finished. Of course that's on the farmer. I can taste when it's not and I've come across quite a bit of that unfortunately. Ok,I'm rambling but good thread,took me down memory lane this morning.
Red bud in the metro Detroit area circa 1980. Hell yeah. Used to go pick up ounces/QPs for my sister on my mongoose as a jr high school kid. Her dealer liked that. No car traffic lol.

CrazyColas

CrazyColas

My two faves are both sweet sativa ladies:
Nurse Jackie, and her friend
Lucinda Williams
I have no idea of their genetics but my guess is Jack Herer and White Widow/Durban Poison are in there. Anyone familiar with these?
Better living through science.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have to throw Panama Red and the Columbian Gold in with this list. Those were the days that cannabis really appealed to me the most. The weed seemed to have a much more distinct relaxing (serotonin) effect in my mind. Todays weeds have so much more energy (norepinephrine) or narcotic (dopamine) effects
to them, it seems.

Maybe it's more how my body responds to things these days, but I don't think that's the case. I think cultivars have evolved, and some of those older "mellower" effects have either been lost, or perhaps overshadowed somehow. Certainly some of the high CBD and CBG strains retain some of these qualities.
I think the pot today is 10x the weed of the past. I'm 69 started smoking in 1966 crap Mexican and we thought we got high. I've been smoking non-stop since then ( bar a few years in my early 60's when I was disabled and on Narcotics) I've smoked it all well up until the explosion of it from 2000 onward, I've tried lol but there's just too many strains now. How can you compare the Colombian to Wedding Crasher or say White Tahoe Cookie?

Sure the Colombian Gold, Panama Red, Maui Wowie & the 90's skunk was good for the time but come on it just doesn't match up to today's goodies

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think the pot today is 10x the weed of the past. I'm 69 started smoking in 1966 crap Mexican and we thought we got high. I've been smoking non-stop since then ( bar a few years in my early 60's when I was disabled and on Narcotics) I've smoked it all well up until the explosion of it from 2000 onward, I've tried lol but there's just too many strains now. How can you compare the Colombian to Wedding Crasher or say White Tahoe Cookie?

Sure the Colombian Gold, Panama Red, Maui Wowie & the 90's skunk was good for the time but come on it just doesn't match up to today's goodies

What’s up bud? I have to disagree. When I try a newer strain like wedding cookie surprise or whatever by the same company as their old og kush or sour diesel from 20 years ago I still tend to like and have better results with the classic plants.

The last grow was new and old Humboldt seed company plants. All were exceptionally bred in my opinion. The seeds grew out very similar plants per strain but the og kush from their old stock is much better than the “Bigfoot Glue” for example.

And I think quality in the 80’s for example was all over the place. I smoked the best weed I ever had even compared to today and also the worst.

the thc percentage may be higher but the weed doesn’t always get me higher is the take away here I think.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

CG & PR are on my to do list are any of the available seed true to OG?

CG and PR?

the HSC OG Kush I grew last time seems very authentic. Flavor and effects much like I remember. Earthy and lemony with a nice thick aftertaste. And a skunky almost chemdog smell when first opening the jar. And I couldn’t distinguish the plants from the seeds and the cuts I took from them. Really well bred stuff.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
What’s up bud? I have to disagree. When I try a newer strain like wedding cookie surprise or whatever by the same company as their old og kush or sour diesel from 20 years ago I still tend to like and have better results with the classic plants.

The last grow was new and old Humboldt seed company plants. All were exceptionally bred in my opinion. The seeds grew out very similar plants per strain but the og kush from their old stock is much better than the “Bigfoot Glue” for example.

And I think quality in the 80’s for example was all over the place. I smoked the best weed I ever had even compared to today and also the worst.

the thc percentage may be higher but the weed doesn’t always get me higher is the take away here I think.
I can take that but our tolerance is through the roof. Quit for a few months and then try glue again. When we smoked all those years ago it was after work, school, weekends not the 24/7 of today. I don't think there's a strain on the planet that could rock me like some of the pot did years ago but I was much younger & usually mix alcohol with it. I've never been too stoned either it gets me to a level and I stay there, unlike booze

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
CG and PR?

the HSC OG Kush I grew last time seems very authentic. Flavor and effects much like I remember. Earthy and lemony with a nice thick aftertaste. And a skunky almost chemdog smell when first opening the jar. And I couldn’t distinguish the plants from the seeds and the cuts I took from them. Really well bred stuff.
I'm glad to see you back for now. I've tried to look up your posts about UV lights. I'm looking at getting one for flower and I thought you recommended one to me but I can't find the reference

DismalDude

DismalDude

I can take that but our tolerance is through the roof. Quit for a few months and then try glue again. When we smoked all those years ago it was after work, school, weekends not the 24/7 of today. I don't think there's a strain on the planet that could rock me like some of the pot did years ago but I was much younger & usually mix alcohol with it. I've never been too stoned either it gets me to a level and I stay there, unlike booze
My tolerance has diminished over the years. 55 now. These days half a joint and I'm good.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I smoked all the time then too. Lol

Glassdub

Glassdub

CG and PR?

Colombian Gold & Panama Red, was going to go with Barneys on the former but I imagine its different, got a freebee seed of this https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/chemdawg-2/
Liked that plant though it stress hermed a bit, don't mind too much, can use the seed.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My tolerance has diminished over the years. 55 now. These days half a joint and I'm good.
I'm retired, live in the country, main hobbies growing pot, the gym,chess,cats. I'm smoking 10 - 15 ...1.1/4 fatties per day + any eatables that maybe around. I think that builds a strong constitution lol.... well tolerance to it any ways but I'm strong like bull and lazy like cat because of it too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom