The Best Way To Germinate New n Old Seeds?

• Thread starter TheCoolestMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How do u germinate ur seeds?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Farmers

I started this poll because i see a lot of people, including my self, having trouble to germinate old seeds. I recently poped beans I got good germantion rate but my old Lemon Larry seeds are giving me problems. I finaly managed to pop 3 on 11, but they look weak i don't think they make it. I poped some Raskal's OG and got 100%! Soaked the 2nd, they are showing the two first leaf right now.

Please add details on ur techniques guys, specilay if its not listed in the poll.

I've read that some people do scuff'?' the seeds befor to soak them or to put them in paper towell. Anyone have more details on this technique please share it with us! Pictures are more than welcome of course :rasta2:

peace

bud good

bud good

i always have the worst time with old seeds i guess it has to do with storage/preservation methods. pple tell me to try to put em in the fridge for a week before you try then in to r/o water til they pop + another 24-36 hours then to coco/perlite filled cups with serran wrap witha bunch tooth pick holes poked in thats just what ive heard ...

G

G.F. Greens

how is everyone today? hope this might help someone out. well if the seeds are old or have a thick shell i use a fine nail file to scuff around the seam of the seed a little, then ph balance the water soak the Rapid Rooters then give them a light squeeze to get the excess water out of them you dont want them dripping wet! then i flip them over make a small hole on what is now the top of the plug they hold the seed better and sit up straight up better this way and then drop a bean in about an 1/8th of an in. and sit back and wait keeping the RR moist heres a pic.

GFG

IMG_3727.JPG

Blaze

Blaze

You will get better results if you can keep the temperature and humidity high. I germ mine at about 85-90 degrees and at about 80-90% humidity. I wrap mine in a damp cloth rather than a paper towel and the place this in a home made humidity tend with an adjustable heat pad to keep the temp dialed in where I want it. I usually get around 97%-99% germ rate, even on older seeds. This last year I only had 2 not pop out of 150 total within 72 hours. How you stored your seeds is also really important. If you freeze them, you tend to get a much lower germ rate. Keeping them cool, like in a fridge, but not frozen, helps keep them viable for a much longer period of time.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I just picked up a pack of raskals og, and a pack of grass knuckles v2, normally I would germinate in a paper towel, this time around I took the advice of subcool, who recommends using rapid rooters, after 3 days all 12 of the seeds I started have sprouted, 100% success. I like not having to transplant the sensitive seedlings after they have sprouted from the paper towel, For this reason alone I'm sold on rapid rooters for germination.

M

Malachi

I soak mine in warm water with a drop of superthrive for about 12 hours, then plant them. I usually get 100% if the seeds viable

Stinkyguy420

Stinkyguy420

First off hey to all and I just wanna clarify i use the the paper towel method it works over night for me the i throw in some rockwool the next day and then wah lah!:flower:flower:flower:

matamus

matamus

hahahahaha

all i know is i have never germinated anything in any type of jiffy pet pellets hahahah sorry no one made fun of that I had to do it.:hi
a fellow friend uses a little match box with a small piece of say 220 grit sand paper lining the box and gives old\tuff seeds a little shake in the box before germ, he never has had a problem. Also if you have a seed that just won't come off, either bury it back in the moist soil or give him a good spray with some water. once I know the seeds are gonna crack then I put them in solo keg cups withmy medium and cover the top with clear plastic wrap with a few small holes in it over the top secured with a rubber band keeps rh perfect for early seed growth

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks everyone! Hope this will help some people increase their germ's (lol) rate.
It's the first time i fucked up so much usualy i get 100%.

But i did not experienced with old seeds. I need to learn how to scuff them...

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

light grit sand paper I would assume would work fine to scuff a seed... or maybe if have a nail file laying around if you dont have or want to get some sand paper. Ive never scuffed seeds but it seems the edge would be the place that needs to be worn down, right where the seeds normally splits, would be very carfull to not sand to much.

OGReggieBUSH777

OGReggieBUSH777

when i was playing with some old beans i had laying around back in college i used the paper towel in a ziplock tick.... i put them on the window seal and they popped

T

TIME2UNITE

For old seeds I take a matchbox or something similar and line the inside of it with sandpaper, I put the beans in there and shake it for awhile scuffing the beans in the process.

From there I soak the beans in either peroxide or a water bleach mix with about a 10:1 ratio.

They don't have to be old beans for scuffing, some might just have super hard shells that could use it. The peroxide or bleach is to help kill off any bacterias or infections that might be on or in the shell that could be on old beans.

From there you can go straight to your growing medium or to the paper towels, normally if they have a nice white tail after the soak I'll go straight to dirt, the ones that haven't popped either get another 12 or so hours of soaking or they go to the paper towels.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks everyone! T2U This seems like a good way to scuff them. Seeds are so little that its pretty hard to hold them and scratch them. The matchbox might be a good way for that.

R

rob 146

100% germ rate with jiffy pellets , keeping temps near 80 deg until i find a better way this is my method....

U

Urquel

Nor cal indo/outdo germy method

So first off age matters, oxidation and what not are a beast and will kill your germination rate but if you soak them for 24-48 hrs before hand in pure, room temp water it helps. I find the paper towel method (4 folded 4 times soaked again in pure water) works well. I wait for the root to get 1/2 inch then take tweezers and place the tap root strait down in a hole i make with a small pen I prefer (I find a pencil to large). water well with B vitamin water and if you want your favorite organic root booster (remember light dosage) and keep temp at least 55 F 50% + humidity but for best results around 82 F 75% humidity seems to be the ticket. I use recycled dirt because I've had problems with burn before even with good organic bag bought dirt. Certain strains are champs when it comes to germination others strains seem to be searching for less generic indoor cannabis horticultural techniques, perhaps more humidity or more or less temp or light. Tweaked light cycles and what not are also a factor, I tend to favor 24hr.

S

supasticky

I soak my paper towel in pretty warm water, fold up the paper towel nice and tight, put them in a ziplock bag and blow air in it. I re soak the paper towel when i check, but not with too much water. Sometimes if I want to be sure they stay alive I use a q tip to dab some super thrive around the seed. So far it's been working very well :)

Usually its like 48 hrs and the got some nice little tails coming out and then I put them in a red cup with good potting soil, water with straight R/O and one drop of superthrive before placing them in, and cover with saran wrap with a rubberband around it until they pop up and reach the saran wrap. Then I uncover and let em rock.

http://i257.invalid.com/albums/hh230/itschillbro/Sticky%20Icky/S6304782.jpg

http://i257.invalid.com/albums/hh230/itschillbro/Sticky%20Icky/S6304788.jpg

http://i257.invalid.com/albums/hh230/itschillbro/Sticky%20Icky/S6304880-1.jpg

http://i257.invalid.com/albums/hh230/itschillbro/Sticky%20Icky/S6304898.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom