The Cannabis Evolution Project

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyone hear about this project?? I wonder if they are certifying the genetics Pro Bono? No telling what they charge if not free.

tree2.png

Where are you on the tree?

Phylos Bioscience is mapping the history of Cannabis evolution, from thousands of years ago in Central Asia to the last few decades of breeding in California and Holland. We’re working with Rob Desalle, curator at the American Museum of Natural History, to solve the systematics problems created by massive hybridization. Until we publish the tree, we’re doing free genetic testing.

We are sequencing the genomes of thousands of different Cannabis plants — from preserved herbarium specimens to an ancient sample recovered from a 2700-year-old shamanic grave in Northern China. Our partner labs are collecting samples of every single modern hybrid strain available, and we’re trying to locate all of the original landrace genetics still available in California, Amsterdam, and Southeast Asia. A data visualization tool on the web will let anyone see where their plants are on the tree, what their ancestry is, and how they’re performing.

When we’re done, you’ll be able to tell the world that your strain is really what you think it is – if it is. Random re-naming of strains will stop. If you create genuinely new strains, you’ll get to name them, and they’ll stay named. Small growers with incredible plants will be able to protect them, and people who love particular strains will be able to find them again.

Bring in every strain you can think of. Bring in old stuff you haven’t looked at in years — we can still get DNA from it. Help us fill in the gaps. And find out where you are on the Cannabis family tree.

http://phylosbioscience.com/the-cannabis-evolution-project/

suomynona

suomynona

I like it, i will call them monday morning and ask. They are located in portland. A few different folks doing genome and terpene profiling now, good stuff in my opinion.

thanks for sharing bro!

@squiggly , their web page says they are looking for talented individuals to hire, may be good to contact them.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I like it, i will call them monday morning and ask. They are located in portland. A few different folks doing genome and terpene profiling now, good stuff in my opinion.

thanks for sharing bro!

@squiggly , their web page says they are looking for talented individuals to hire, may be good to contact them.
@suomynona I read too quickly.... They are doing free testing until they publish the tree!!!!

suomynona

suomynona

I see this as not only able to predict hermies, but be a valuable tool for breeding projects. Like with pandas, for example, they only breed males and females that will give them the genetic offspring they want to achieve.

With terpene profiling you can already know cbd and thc ratios from very young plants and from only a small leaf section. Many folks use this tool when selecting which plants to keep in clone form for future projects after doing a seed run.

So with the dna testing, depending on cost, i see no limit to creating the desired strains with very predictable results.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I see this as not only able to predict hermies, but be a valuable tool for breeding projects. Like with pandas, for example, they only breed males and females that will give them the genetic offspring they want to achieve.

With terpene profiling you can already know cbd and thc ratios from very young plants and from only a small leaf section. Many folks use this tool when selecting which plants to keep in clone form for future projects after doing a seed run.

So with the dna testing, depending on cost, i see no limit to creating the desired strains with very predictable results.
And this is long overdue!!!! Great advances with cannabis. It is going to be a hell of a ride!!!

MGRox

MGRox

I found a recent paper that is "somewhat" along the lines of this; at least comparing genetic variation of hemp, sativa and indica some. Rather than make a new thread, maybe this paper will fit here.

Also, I noted the site from the OP has an update:
Our initial sample collection period is over. We’ll be offering genetic strain certification through our partner labs soon. But we’re still building the evolutionary tree. If you have old or interesting samples, please bring them in and let us sequence them for you for free. There is mystery to be unraveled.

Okay onto the paper, it is; "The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp"
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0133292

Excerpt's from paper:

"These results significantly expand our understanding of the evolution of marijuana and hemp lineages in Cannabis. Previous analyses have shown that marijuana and hemp differ in their capacity for cannabinoid biosynthesis, with marijuana possessing the BT allele coding for tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase and hemp typically possessing the BD allele for cannabidiolic acid synthase [7]. As well, transcriptome analysis of female flowers showed that cannabinoid pathway genes are significantly upregulated in marijuana compared to hemp, as expected from the very high THC levels in the former compared to the latter [3]. Our results indicate that the genetic differences between the two are distributed across the genome and are not restricted to loci involved in cannabinoid production. In addition, we find that levels of heterozygosity are higher in hemp than in marijuana (Fig 1b; Mann-Whitney U-test, p-value = 8.64 x 10−14), which suggests that hemp cultivars are derived from a broader genetic base than that of marijuana strains and/or that breeding among close relatives is more common in marijuana than in hemp."
"Although the taxonomic separation of the putative taxa C. sativa and C. indica remains controversial, a vernacular taxonomy that distinguishes between “Sativa” and “Indica” strains is widespread in the marijuana community. Sativa-type plants, tall with narrow leaves, are widely believed to produce marijuana with a stimulating, cerebral psychoactive effect while Indica-type plants, short with wide leaves, are reported to produce marijuana that is sedative and relaxing. We find that the genetic structure of marijuana is in partial agreement with strain-specific ancestry estimates obtained from various online sources"
"This observation suggests that C. sativa and C. indica may represent distinguishable pools of genetic diversity [1] but that breeding has resulted in considerable admixture between the two. While there appears to be a genetic basis for the reported ancestry of many marijuana strains, in some cases the assignment of ancestry strongly disagrees with our genotype data. For example we found that Jamaican Lambs Bread (100% reported C. sativa) was nearly identical (IBS = 0.98) to a reported 100% C. indica strain from Afghanistan."
"Hemp is consistently classified as C. sativa in previously published literature [11, 12], and the prevailing assumption has been that varieties used for fibre and seed production are derived from C. sativa"
"Hillig (2005) challenged the C. sativa origin of hemp, and noted that fibre/seed strains from Asia cluster with C. indica [1]. Similarly, a recent study using Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers found that C. indica clustered more closely with hemp than with C. sativa or hybrid marijuana strains [8]. Consistent with these studies, our findings suggest that hemp has a greater proportion of alleles in common with C. indica than with C. sativa."

"There is a paucity of public repositories for hemp germplasm and only a patchwork of private collections of marijuana strains worldwide. These factors, and the low viability of Cannabis seed after prolonged storage, cause concern that the genomic variation that we describe here is in danger of being lost."

The paper also has a nice graph showing the various tested strains, their claimed sativa / indica percentage; along with what they found for genetic similarities. Not at all sequencing, but still more information on genetics at least.

(red indicates sativa percentage / blue indicates indica)
Satpct1

Satpct2

Top Bottom