The captain’s inquiry, what is everyone’s thoughts on stalk splitting the last week before harvest?

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
YO HOMIES!
I was wanting to pose the question on stalk splitting.
I have done it with success in the past.

I’m really wanting to know if anyone else has tried this approach, and what did you learn? Did it seemingly boost trichromes like the application suggests? I really think that there is something to it……

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Curious to hear, I've heard pple putting a nail through it at the end.
Yeah the way I do it, I just use a drill, make one hole straight through the stem about 2 inches up from the dirt, then I turn the drill 90 degrees, go up another inch and drill again. 2 holes total. Every plant I’ve done it to took it like a champ.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Last year I pounded spikes through a couple stalks and screwed a few half inch lag bolts through a couple. Didn’t notice any difference. But I am a big fan of drought stressing the last week or two outdoors.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Are you kidding? I don't like cutting bottom fan leaves a day before harvest......
Nope, not at all, in my experience, it works great, I’ve gotten some of the most sticky herb every after doing it. You know, impossible to roll a joint sticky. I know, it’s definitely extreme. But from my experience it works. I’m a ways out on doing it this run, but when the time comes I’m going to do a half drilled, half not comparison and try to get a little data on it. I’ll have videos and pics.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Last year I pounded spikes through a couple stalks and screwed a few half inch lag bolts through a couple. Didn’t notice any difference. But I am a big fan of drought stressing the last week or two outdoors.
Didn’t notice any difference at all? Outdoor? Or indoor?

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Also, if anyone has any pictures of examples of this practice show them, and explain your experience!

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Nope. Outdoors. Northern Sacramento Valley. If you want to look into something kind of extreme look into girdling the branches, about 3/4 of the way around towards the end.
I’ll definitely check it out! Reason I ask, is I suspect it may be a little harder to gauge the effectiveness of the practice on much larger outdoor specimens. As far as my indoor experience goes, there is a weight difference, and a bit more pungent post cure.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I have used zip strips inserted through the stem as well, this was on a run of low flying clones I did a while back…..

68142277665  4D938AF0 F02B 4792 BB5D ED075D3F3581
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Are you kidding? I don't like cutting bottom fan leaves a day before harvest......
Yeah but you’re a really nice guy bro! It’s not for the feint of heart that’s for sure, I literally thought I was losing my mind the first time I did it….I was questioning everything I’ve ever known lol.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Nope, not at all, in my experience, it works great, I’ve gotten some of the most sticky herb every after doing it. You know, impossible to roll a joint sticky. I know, it’s definitely extreme. But from my experience it works. I’m a ways out on doing it this run, but when the time comes I’m going to do a half drilled, half not comparison and try to get a little data on it. I’ll have videos and pics.
We'd have to do a controlled comparison, using clones.......I mean, is there any science or at least worthy experiments that say it works? You'd think by now everyone would be bangin' stems...

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Just my own side by side comparisons, it seems to improve trichrome production, it’s the plants natural defense, so the logic was, let’s trigger that and see. I’ve read a ton on it, I learned about from a mailer from Dutch seed company a few years back, and there is a lot of boutique growers over the pond who use the practice, that’s my understanding anyways. Your questions, are my exact questions, reason being, I just may have been wanting to see what I wanted to see, when I made the judgement that it seemed to work. I’m asking, and hoping to gain some clarification from folks because I want to know this, at the brass tax of it…..am I torturing my plants for no good reason? That’s the crux of it for me.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Couldn’t find any lag bolt pics. doesn’t hurt to try. I didn’t see any improvement.View attachment 1991678
Well, when I did it, part of it was to introduce airflow through the stem, when I apply it, if the main stalks are small, I split with a box knife and then stab a piece of a zip strip through it to spread the wound. With much larger plants I would use a 1/8inch bit, make the hole, Waller it out a bit, and then repeat an inch above the first hole. Then I’d wash it out with a little distilled water. It looks like that nail made a pretty tight seal. Now I know if you screwed a lag bolt through one, I know damn well air was getting into that one, so shit brother. Thanks for sharing.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Hey, I'll spank it 3 times snd call it Susan if it'll make things better......
This was my thought, anything to squeeze a little more juice from the turnip. Do some reading on it when you have a few minutes. It’s definitely a hot button thing for a lot of growers.

Top Bottom