The Car & Bike Lover's Thread

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Junk

Junk

i didn't see one of these up, and a search for "car" didn't show anything.

I recently sold my STI. Completely overhauled to be a drag/track car. The engine was altered to a destroked design so redline is above 10k rpm. 618 hp at the wheels at around 5k and then the power curve just stays flat. Until you have driven a car like this, you haven't experienced what 5,000 usable Rpms can do. There is no hp peak, it gets there, and it stays there, through 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. 6th was longer. I've driven a lot of fast things, and this is just scary fast. Not street legal, but I was able to get stickers for it (barely).

I will have to upload the Dyno graph later, it's not on my iPad. Also, better pics.

The car  bike lovers thread

The car  bike lovers thread 2

tobh

tobh

Supporter
That's one nice subie! Understandable on the scary fast though, have a lot of people tell me to drop a V8 in my 280zx and I just shake my head. Love the car, don't want to have to change my drawers every time I drive it lol. I'll dig up some pics and drop them here. Glad to see some other gearheads around!

Junk

Junk

See now i can work on that blazer!Could take it completely apart and put it back together.When i look at that subaru motor,bitchin as im sure it is,im just lost,lol.Like to take a ride in it though junk!

There is a learning curve if you are coming from American Cars. But I love the motor design. Balanced, weight is low to the ground.

My first motor swap on one took me almost a week. I had blown the motor, so I took the car apart from bumper to bumper. I took the engine down to the smallest moving parts. If you understand how cars work, it's pretty easy to figure out.

What makes it a pain is everything is so dang tight. I have average size hands and I had a couple bolts, that once taken out, I could not get back in. They weren't vital, so I have a collection of them. I probably spent 3 hours one day trying to get in a bolt that holds the alternator assembly in place. 5-6 subies later, I've come to the conclusion it cannot be done by a normal human being, unless you take out the whole motor, and access it from the back. No type of wrench will fit in there, no universal joint combinations, you can't even get a socket on it. You would need a little kid, with the strongest fingers in the world.

What I find really difficult about them is all the electronic stuff. Tuning the car (not mechanically, electronically). If you have ever seen someone do it, it's like learning another language. I would have loved to learn how to do it, but I didn't have the funds to support the cost of the trial and error needed to learn it.

Here is another one in progress, just a wrx, 303hp at the wheels. It needs to stay there so we can stay in a certain class. Swapped to rear engine, rwd. Push rod suspension, custom cage...that's my motor hanging there in the background. Actually, any Subie parts on this car are from one of my other Subies.

This is track only. It's a fun power range with custom gears. I've driven the parts that are in this (they are my parts) but not with custom gears, rear engine, rwd. It should be a trip.

Junk

Junk

That's one nice subie! Understandable on the scary fast though, have a lot of people tell me to drop a V8 in my 280zx and I just shake my head. Love the car, don't want to have to change my drawers every time I drive it lol. I'll dig up some pics and drop them here. Glad to see some other gearheads around!

That was my (possibly affordable) first dream car, the 280 and then the 300zx. I'd love to see pics of it.

Putting a v8 in that car would be stupid.

That STI was so fast, of the several people I let drive it, only one had the balls to shift at 9k. When you have a constant 618, at the wheels, with gears designed just to accelerate you as fast as possible, it's actually frightening. Everything becomes a blur. I would tell them just to drive and I'll watch the gauges (it's too much all at once, your first time) after running it through a few gears and being at 100+ they would slow down and ask what they shifted at. Most people shifted at 6k lol, just when they were hitting the power range, instead of staying in it.

The only person (besides me) to drive it like it was built to be driven...my sister lol, how awesome is that! 0-60 on drag tires is 2.8 0-100 is 5.8. 1/4 mile was 9.23 at 162. That's faster than most super cars. You really had to have balls to push this car. I don't think most people know what that kind of speed feels like.

There was not a single occasion that I drove that car, when I didn't put it away shaking my head saying, "I can't believe that thing is legal."

Junk

Junk

More pics and a video. This is not me in the vids, that's the guy who built/tuned this particular car. Brentuning in Worcester MA. I'll try to make this the last post about this car so I'll get this out of the way.

2004 Subaru STI
Darton Sleeves
J-spec STI Forged Crank
Manley Rods and Pistons
1300 CC Injectors (I forget the maker)
Garrett 4094R Turbo
Custom Kelford Cams (massive cams)
APS twin scroll 3.5" race exhaust
DSS Race axles
Custom Valves
AMS front mount intercooler
AEM Standalone ECU (and stock ECU to get a sticker)

This is not the same car, but similar. I just grabbed this video because you can more easily see the mph. He does 20-120 in about 7 seconds. That car is beautiful, but objectively, my car was significantly faster.

STI9 copy
STI24
STI23
STI11 copy
STI3

Junk

Junk

ireland is great for this ^^^^

love my pre 90 jap cars.

also like your Subaru, my friend here in ireland is looking for a 3 door sti but hard to get now
That's some pretty good driving. The guys are moving a bit to help him but he is working with practically zero clearance.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
That STI.... Damn. That dyno sheet is ridiculous! No drop in Torque or HP. Very impressive. The boxer motors have 180 degree cranks, right?

Here's some pics of the various jap's I've owned.

Current daily, 1982 Datsun 280zx, L28E, 5 speed, tons of suspension done, still stock EFI until I can afford a standalone system. The plate on the front is old, so no I don't really care if you can see it.
280zx1

First car, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, VG30E, 5 speed, older brother ran it into a pipe fence and gave it to me. Swore it was cursed. Had it running two weeks, took it on the freeway the first time, rear passenger tire blew out at 80 MPH and I rolled it. Damn car was cursed.
300zx1

First 280ZX, 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2, L28E, 5 speed. Wound up parting this one out, the chassis was twisted pretty severely, no fixing it.
280zx2

L28ET build, never saw my friend finish this to completion, but I built the shit out of this thing. Forged dished pistons, new valves, 5 angle valve job, different cam (more appropriate for turbo, the NA cam it had was quite aggressive for NA). Was estimating around 400 bhp out of this baby. Compression was 8.1:1 without the turbo.
L28et1

I'll snap some other pics of my daily, nothing crazy, same motor essentially as above except have a billet fuel rail, afpr, "CIA" and a few other small details. Nothing fancy and sure as hell ain't fast. Probably hitting around 150 whp right now. Soon, will be much higher when I can afford an RB25DETT. I can dream lol

Junk

Junk

That STI.... Damn. That dyno sheet is ridiculous! No drop in Torque or HP. Very impressive. The boxer motors have 180 degree cranks, right?

Yes. And the 2.0's are extremely prone to spinning rod bearings. Here is just one mine...

IMG 0088

It's poor pic but you will can see the rear of the crank in the center of the motor. The heads are mounted to the side of the block with the pistons firing on a flat plane (thus the "flat" engine, or boxer) If you are looking at it from the front, the main crank spins the timing belt assembly from the front of the car.If you pop the hood you have the radiator, next thing you see is the timing belt covers. I can change the timing belt in 2 hours on these cars. However, it takes close to an hour to change the spark plugs, because, as you can see, they need to mount on the sides of the motor, and they don't leave you a lot of space to get your hands in there.

IMG 0076

Here is a better pic with the timing system...the motor is upside down in this pic. But the timing belt is right on the front of the motor.

IMG 0042

tobh

tobh

Supporter
DAMN! That is the longest timing belt I've ever seen. Had a friend with an old legacy, wanted me to change his spark plugs. Opted out because of the extremely cramped quarters they leave you. That journal looks like it's seen better days too.

Makes sense with a bit of work you can get these things to easily spin to 10k though. Gotta say that's bragging rights in itself, being able to bury the tach needle and still pull more revs.

e4ian

e4ian

These pics are making me droool. :)
Yea Junk ! ...I love Cars [,and still like "ma" Bikes (first love btw) ].. Especially American Stuff ,and that Stemming from Below 5 yrs old!
Unfortunately i got a 2yr ban Commencing from April 07 2008 and "dam" because i was Sulking or Complacent,During that time(whatever) because after the Time was up the Doc Sent the Blood for Analysis and a"Weed Trace" was Detected..

Foolishly i smoked some Crappy leaves a few days before..:( ! The Next time i Prepared Myself by Taking Stat Flush (U.S) Cleanses The Blood,hair and Saliva but "of course" the doctors Procedure was a bit different this time.... !?
again" :( " ..Ruddy Doc says take ya top off and lye on the Analysis Bench........... I knew at that point I WAS SCREWED !
^Infringing on a Good Vibe SO IM GONNA STOP THIS Negative CRAP!!! .;-)
On a POSITIVE Note i'll say im 87 Days "Cold Turkey" from Alcohol Today Which because of a Certain Drink i became "Quite Addicted too" ive Gotten Acute Pancreatitis 5 times an Ailment from this was that the Liver [Stomach!] had Swollen Dramatically.(and remains so,although a little Decreased "Another" Doc has told me i've got 6mths to a year of Complete Abstanatinon to go!
^Fook is that a word? LOL .... Abstaining

Mate the Best Vehicle i had was a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0....Oh Boy "dreamland" for me
Pics ltr,but prepare yaselfs cus they were live and crap in Comparison,tbh
^:D Thats BIG HP ! ^ jeep was 175hp pretty 100% sure. (1997 Model ) .. They changed her Slightly in ,98 . .. :( Didnt like the wheels but ESPECIALLY the Back end which they had now made Slope..

e4ian

e4ian

Rasta man. WOA (n Impressive!).. but do ya recon that Toyota Vid's^ been played with..!? " Just saying " I have been away from the "Motoring/Stunt driving World" for some time,so the knowledge is less" ^ ". But Phoock that goes on for a bit,wonder the tyres didnt pop!!? [or did they at the end!] :)

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
River rod

If you have not seen before here it is..
Was original for 25years, 2nd owner.
retro restore, full off frame.
factory new 350 ramjet, 350 turbo trans. 4 wheel disc brakes, vintage air, flo master dual exhaust, krager ss rims, all new interior, leather power bucket seats, Mustang 2 front end Ford 9 inch 290 rear end, Gt Grant tilt steering wheel, updated dolphin gauges, daily driver.
Car runs and handels lie a dream, nice in the turns.
around $55,000.00 invested not for sale at any price....

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

awesome thread. I used to be a huge car guy, until I started working for a company that does paint/body work for 2 of the big 3 auto companies in the show car division. we would do auto show cars, movie cars, commercial cars, ect. but 16-18 hr days 7 days a week for 9 months out of the yr for 4 yrs will burn your ass out to hate cars. before that I worked as the lead auto detailer at a high end exotic car dealership (rolls Royce, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley, alfa rameo, masseratti, Spyker (BAD ass car), and Porsche.

e4ian

e4ian

Eyi Say "GIVE ME THIS AND GIVE ME AMERICA!!!!" :D lol, id be Crusin ALLOVER Them BIG empty Spaces ya Got with this V8 "Bosshoss" Beaut'.. (Painted Desert colours a reckon.. woohoo) 29bb69f8fe5fed253c48694f75b8d1b4 434448 1
Img 19

Type Liquid Cooled V-8
Horsepower 445 @ 4750 rpm
Torque 445 Ft.Lbs @ 4750 rpm
Block Cast Aluminum - 4 bolt main
Cylinders Aluminum (58cc)
Valvetrain 1.94"Int / 1.5"Exh.
Size 376 c.i. (6200cc)
Compression 10.7:1
Fuel Injection multi-port
Exhaust 2.5" with dual mufflers
Transmission 2-speed semi-auto w/rev.
Final Drive Belt, Gates- Polychain
Overall Length 103"
Wheel Base 80.0"
Seat Height 24.0"
Rake 33.0 degrees
Grd. Dlearance 4.5"
Frame Width 28.0"
GVWR 1675 lbs.
Dry Weight 1100 lbs.
Front 130/90-16, 3.50"x16.0"
Rear 230/60, 7.0"x15.0"

^^ I wont load yer "Gorgeous" Thread with pics of None Cars Junk, the next one will have a few n thats all.
^Sure That would Barge Most Eu/jap cars Out the Way,anyhow! lol.. :) .kidding

Top Bottom