The Chicken are not clucking around here!

• Thread starter Stugots
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stugots

Stugots

Hey Ladies and Gentleman!

It’s time to play: Guess how this grower is fucking up so badly!?
We have some smart cookies here and I would love for someone to help me with troubleshooting this issue.

I’m definitely losing a bit of momentum here on the indoor growing front. I started 8 months ago and have only killed seedlings (bag seed) and got 0 return for my indoor labour.

I tried in soil, and it only gave me trouble. At first it was definitely over-watering and my error. Learned my lesson with Pythium and “watering till run-off” too early before the roots are in abundance. My last attempt at soil (pro-mix ph) indoors, I’m actually surprised I failed but it left some people here scratching their heads trying to help me. Ended up tossing them.

After my shit luck with soil and over-watering/pythium.... I tossed whatever containers were used or soaked the cloth pots over night in vinegar/water(it was a while ago now but that sounds right). If I didn’t scrub the inside of my tent clean could it cause what’s happening to my plants? I mean, it’s not like the stalks of my plants currently are caving in and roots rotting, but my plant tops look like garbage. The roots actually look great(I think)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/yellowing-veins-and-failing-seedlings.122037/page-3#post-2538915

Above is the link to my struggles with Pro-Mix HP.

I gave some of those same Pineapple Express seeds to my buddy, as well as my bag of pro-mix.... he’s flipping his 4 females to flower next week with his old school blurple light and the GH trio alone. Seeds and soil clearly weren’t the issue I was having (side question: how the fuck are all my P.E bag seed coming out female? The 4 I put outside last summer were F too. I must have killed like 50 females in my struggles with soil lol.)

Moving on. Is it my light? I have 2 - 150W full-spectrum LEDs. Mars Hydro TS-1000 and Aponuo. I doubt they are both duds but I’m running out of things to alter here. Mars is what I’m running now at 25”.

I’m only using 1 light for the 3 buckets which are in a triangle formation. The plants themselves are still directly under the 15”x 13” light(towards the edges, obviously can’t fit 3 buckets dead center).

Shouldn’t that suffice for at least now? I remember growing lettuce just fine in the corner of my tent on my very first attempt and it was not even in direct light lol (yes I know, obviously a different PAR requirement for lettuce)

I also ran 2 - 3 day trials over the last 6 days. Put my best plant centered under the Mars Hydro @24” and put the other 2 buckets off to the side. Still no difference after 3 days on either plants. I hung up the 2nd light right beside it and brought them down to 20”. I actually need my sunglasses on before I open my tent now lol. Noooothing. If anything it has probably bleached them. And made things look worse.

I jumped into DWC because I have the GH trio with Diamond Nectar, potassium silicate, botanicare cal-Mag, and a recently installed RO system that puts out 4ppm water. Soil I always seemed to get some root rot and stunting, so I figured DWC would help with that. And so far, I think it helped with my overall root health.... the tops however...ugh. How are the roots not up taking nutrients to the leaves?

I started with tap to see if I could make it work. I could avoid using cal-mag all together and it would be more convenient. 150ppm start, then added in my nutrients to end up around 230-250ppm. All plants seemed to be doing well. Then around the time I was reading the ridiculous mega thread with User(whatever his number was), I noticed my plants were starting to go south. It looked like a calcium issue. More than likely this was caused by precipitation when mixing my nutrients. Big lesson learned. Also, after reading all that I wanted to also take a step back and make things more simple.

This is how I mixed my latest buckets:

42ppm start (80/20 RO/Tap)

1.5ml Pot.Sil = 74ppm

Wait 40 minutes

Ph down = 6.1

Wait 20 minutes

4ml Cal.Mag=6.4/126ppm (~94ppm calcium)

10ml Micro=315ppm

Wait 10 minutes

10ml Gro=

2 minutes

10ml Bloom=

5.5/66F/505ppm/clear/

(Yes, I stirred the shit out of my buckets between adding each nutrient)

Day = 71-75F/50-55%RH

Night = 66-70F/50-55%RH

(Values changed slightly when I added my 2nd light 3 days ago)

The only difference between soil and hydro so far for me have been the roots are much healthier and white. The tops of the plant however, still look like shite.

Any suggestions?
(Ph Up/Ph Down is what I first measure on those dates, and then Ph is what I adjusted too before I the bucket)

A08E4D8D-2EF9-43C1-B3DC-80B8F5A884DF.jpeg

#1 Alaskan Berry - nice and depressed
1F68D748-97AC-4B5C-AED9-975B1FB24EC8.jpeg
223BB38C-2232-4817-98A3-90DE530CD718.jpeg

01C61BF1-FEC2-40EF-8A9C-5A45A15B8517.jpeg

#2 Runt - planted directly in H
FE91A514-C950-42A9-B7DB-3D7FFF12F2AD.jpeg

#3 Berry Kush -the only perky plant but still looking like crap.
C62FA63B-F3D0-4D46-9B27-8D81828191B4.jpeg

D432E8BD-ED7C-432C-8DAE-041654A9C59D.jpeg

69992736-79DD-49A8-BD0F-79DBF54C8105.jpeg

At the start of the grow I obviously had to top water until my roots could reach the water.... did top watering with my old nutrient mix screw everything up? Leeching from calcium-less hydroton? I flushed with RO/distilled in hopes it would clean the hydroton a bit... then poured some of the new stuff around after a good flush...But either way this issue just keeps following me from medium to medium it seems....

The chicken are not clucking around here 5
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

You're feeding them too soon. Those first two little round leaves are called cotyledons and they contain all of the fertilizer that the plant needs for the first month or so.

Try straight water for the first few weeks and then ease the nutes in gently at no more than half the recommended strength.

Stugots

Stugots

You're feeding them too soon. Those first two little round leaves are called cotyledons and they contain all of the fertilizer that the plant needs for the first month or so.

Try straight water for the first few weeks and then ease the nutes in gently at no more than half the recommended strength.
A801BA0F 6141 4E3B AA0A D447A1BDBBC9

This is how the Alaskan Berry looked after 3 weeks (best looking one). Bucket’s were around 230ppm each but like I said, I didn’t ph down after my potassium silicate so pretty sure precipitation fucked up the calcium uptake etc. It started going downhill from here. I mixed a proper batch @ 300ppm, thinking this would be the cure. And then the plants just kept getting worse. Very confusing.

Looking at other people’s diaries I decided to up the ppm to ~500ppm (recipe in my first post). And still the plants are declining.

Stugots

Stugots

53446F94 5C42 4BC1 8A27 F3845C18C77F

6E331660 0937 4568 87F0 F49DE890E4C1

6A92DD05 600F 4334 A642 CD9AAAC7320F

2 weeks have passed. The Alaskan Berry stalk actually thickened up a bit, roots started booming, and the leaves are growing... it’s just still patchy? I raised the light from 24.5” to 28” above this plant now. At least there’s some progress, but I haven’t changed my routine at all besides checking less frequently. The ph swings are still from 5.6–>6.2 and then I ph down again.

B24E7F65 46D2 40C5 80F1 099D315330E4

8BFA447B C6AD 47FF BE5C A7787D61279E

Berry Kush - maybe half the growth as the Alaskan. Roots looking good. Patchy leaves as well.

94B08D00 7978 42C9 B04A CFAD1FBD4CD0

This little runt is basically unchanged on top and for the roots. No rot or anything. So I gave it a soak in RO for a bit, then put it back in the original bucket. I’ll give it another week or 2 before I toss it.

Stugots

Stugots

711C158A 42F0 4C98 96FC A7146D1C3A64

EE076A9E B4E0 4F6F A9B9 B60C9D00EEB5

0D14F887 B6BB 421C A947 E5E8772C2EFD

Amazing how the Alaskan Berry is just booming. This is the furthest I’ve gotten in MONTHS trying to grow indoors. I don’t know why this one decided to take off when I did the exact same thing to the others.

That light is now 32” away from the top of the Alaskan Berry. I guess it was bleaching them this whole time? Grow journals have this light(Mars Hydro TS1000) between 20”-28” for this stage.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1098214

View attachment 1098215
View attachment 1098216
Amazing how the Alaskan Berry is just booming. This is the furthest I’ve gotten in MONTHS trying to grow indoors. I don’t know why this one decided to take off when I did the exact same thing to the others.

That light is now 32” away from the top of the Alaskan Berry. I guess it was bleaching them this whole time? Grow journals have this light(Mars Hydro TS1000) between 20”-28” for this stage.
Lol I was just gonna post that your light was to close.

Try thus to help you gage it.

Uprooted clones less than 5k
Seedling 5-10k
Veg 15-45k
Flower 12/12 40-65k

Start at the lowest for each stage and work up 3-5k every few days to a week. Watching the plants for light stress. The early signs will be a V shape in the upper most leaves. A little is ok.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Was gonna ask are you running sterile or live? You will want to definitely do one or the other.

Stugots

Stugots

Lol I was just gonna post that your light was to close.

Try thus to help you gage it.

Uprooted clones less than 5k
Seedling 5-10k
Veg 15-45k
Flower 12/12 40-65k

Start at the lowest for each stage and work up 3-5k every few days to a week. Watching the plants for light stress. The early signs will be a V shape in the upper most leaves. A little is ok.

I have an iPhone XS and no problems with my cameras (that I know of), but when I tried one of the popular apps it was giving me inconsistent readings. Even 5” away It would give me 5k,
Then 10” would shoot to 11k.

At this point I’ll just let the plant tell me what it wants. It will better my skills this way 👊🏼

Stugots

Stugots

Was gonna ask are you running sterile or live? You will want to definitely do one or the other.

I was planning on doing sterile. I haven’t bought any products like H2O2 or similar yet. Honestly, I was so discouraged after months of failure I didn’t really want to put any more money into this until I got SOME result. These are still the original buckets I mixed on January 24th after getting my recipe right (I guess? Lol)

I’ve been cleaning the tubes and bottom of the lids with alcohol wipes once a week. Kinda help contain the build up of crap. Water is still clear and it only has a sliiight smell. I was honestly going to keep going until flip (I know it’s not advised, but the IDGAF method has been working for me 🤷‍♂️)

Stugots

Stugots

6F8A1200 598B 41D6 99D2 E7083F25BC5C

Well I gave in and picked this up for $45cdn. I’m about to do a Rez change now on the Alaskan Berry... she drinks so much it’s definitely emptied the bucket once plus some. Aiming for 500ppm again. Trying some LST the past 2 days... I know it’s super late but oh well.

717AAEAC 173A 448A 9848 D4E5A7E5A2BC

ED16B087 F97E 48E9 AF3D DCBD90289C8F

4A1374AA 61DF 4D08 A24E C274EE0CD694

The light is still at 32” and I turned it from 150W—>140W... still bleaching a bit.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Hey Ladies and Gentleman!

It’s time to play: Guess how this grower is fucking up so badly!?
We have some smart cookies here and I would love for someone to help me with troubleshooting this issue.

I’m definitely losing a bit of momentum here on the indoor growing front. I started 8 months ago and have only killed seedlings (bag seed) and got 0 return for my indoor labour.

I tried in soil, and it only gave me trouble. At first it was definitely over-watering and my error. Learned my lesson with Pythium and “watering till run-off” too early before the roots are in abundance. My last attempt at soil (pro-mix ph) indoors, I’m actually surprised I failed but it left some people here scratching their heads trying to help me. Ended up tossing them.

After my shit luck with soil and over-watering/pythium.... I tossed whatever containers were used or soaked the cloth pots over night in vinegar/water(it was a while ago now but that sounds right). If I didn’t scrub the inside of my tent clean could it cause what’s happening to my plants? I mean, it’s not like the stalks of my plants currently are caving in and roots rotting, but my plant tops look like garbage. The roots actually look great(I think)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/yellowing-veins-and-failing-seedlings.122037/page-3#post-2538915

Above is the link to my struggles with Pro-Mix HP.

I gave some of those same Pineapple Express seeds to my buddy, as well as my bag of pro-mix.... he’s flipping his 4 females to flower next week with his old school blurple light and the GH trio alone. Seeds and soil clearly weren’t the issue I was having (side question: how the fuck are all my P.E bag seed coming out female? The 4 I put outside last summer were F too. I must have killed like 50 females in my struggles with soil lol.)

Moving on. Is it my light? I have 2 - 150W full-spectrum LEDs. Mars Hydro TS-1000 and Aponuo. I doubt they are both duds but I’m running out of things to alter here. Mars is what I’m running now at 25”.

I’m only using 1 light for the 3 buckets which are in a triangle formation. The plants themselves are still directly under the 15”x 13” light(towards the edges, obviously can’t fit 3 buckets dead center).

Shouldn’t that suffice for at least now? I remember growing lettuce just fine in the corner of my tent on my very first attempt and it was not even in direct light lol (yes I know, obviously a different PAR requirement for lettuce)

I also ran 2 - 3 day trials over the last 6 days. Put my best plant centered under the Mars Hydro @24” and put the other 2 buckets off to the side. Still no difference after 3 days on either plants. I hung up the 2nd light right beside it and brought them down to 20”. I actually need my sunglasses on before I open my tent now lol. Noooothing. If anything it has probably bleached them. And made things look worse.

I jumped into DWC because I have the GH trio with Diamond Nectar, potassium silicate, botanicare cal-Mag, and a recently installed RO system that puts out 4ppm water. Soil I always seemed to get some root rot and stunting, so I figured DWC would help with that. And so far, I think it helped with my overall root health.... the tops however...ugh. How are the roots not up taking nutrients to the leaves?

I started with tap to see if I could make it work. I could avoid using cal-mag all together and it would be more convenient. 150ppm start, then added in my nutrients to end up around 230-250ppm. All plants seemed to be doing well. Then around the time I was reading the ridiculous mega thread with User(whatever his number was), I noticed my plants were starting to go south. It looked like a calcium issue. More than likely this was caused by precipitation when mixing my nutrients. Big lesson learned. Also, after reading all that I wanted to also take a step back and make things more simple.

This is how I mixed my latest buckets:

42ppm start (80/20 RO/Tap)

1.5ml Pot.Sil = 74ppm

Wait 40 minutes

Ph down = 6.1

Wait 20 minutes

4ml Cal.Mag=6.4/126ppm (~94ppm calcium)

10ml Micro=315ppm

Wait 10 minutes

10ml Gro=

2 minutes

10ml Bloom=

5.5/66F/505ppm/clear/

(Yes, I stirred the shit out of my buckets between adding each nutrient)

Day = 71-75F/50-55%RH

Night = 66-70F/50-55%RH

(Values changed slightly when I added my 2nd light 3 days ago)

The only difference between soil and hydro so far for me have been the roots are much healthier and white. The tops of the plant however, still look like shite.

Any suggestions?
(Ph Up/Ph Down is what I first measure on those dates, and then Ph is what I adjusted too before I the bucket)

View attachment 1087080
#1 Alaskan Berry - nice and depressed
View attachment 1087077View attachment 1087072
View attachment 1087073

#2 Runt - planted directly in H
View attachment 1087079

#3 Berry Kush -the only perky plant but still looking like crap.
View attachment 1087074
View attachment 1087075
View attachment 1087078

At the start of the grow I obviously had to top water until my roots could reach the water.... did top watering with my old nutrient mix screw everything up? Leeching from calcium-less hydroton? I flushed with RO/distilled in hopes it would clean the hydroton a bit... then poured some of the new stuff around after a good flush...But either way this issue just keeps following me from medium to medium it seems....
So how much water was in these buckets that you mixed in 10ml of bloom grow and the other stuff listed?
There should be a ml per gallon growth/mixing chart on the side of the bottle. Next time start out with straight water, they love it. Then, ease into the bottle directions and pH your water in the very last step. In your post it says you pH'd it in the middle.
If your amounts were per gallon, you burnt them when they were sprouts and the root structure and plants are still damaged from that, not light bleaching.

Stugots

Stugots

In my opinion that's a deficiency not bleaching. Looks like maybe calcium

You could very well be right.

Buuuuut the areas hidden under the canopy/fan leaves are nice and green usually. I would be amazed if it was calcium all along. I’m feeling like this isn’t the best VEG light. Should be great during flower though lol. I just lowered from 140W-130W this weekend, let’s see the response.

Stugots

Stugots

So how much water was in these buckets that you mixed in 10ml of bloom grow and the other stuff listed?
There should be a ml per gallon growth/mixing chart on the side of the bottle. Next time start out with straight water, they love it. Then, ease into the bottle directions and pH your water in the very last step. In your post it says you pH'd it in the middle.
If your amounts were per gallon, you burnt them when they were sprouts and the root structure and plants are still damaged from that, not light bleaching.

5gal buckets, 1” under net pot is probably like 3.5gals of water for that recipe. Not bad at all compared to other journals at that stage 🤷‍♂️.

And I have to pH to 6 after I add my Potassium Silicate otherwise I’ll get precipitation. I’m pretty sure not doing this step is what f’ed me up in the beginning....Or using a buffer additive I didn’t really understand is what screwed me up lol. Depends how you look at it.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I always give mine straight water for the first few weeks, until the first little round leaves ( cotyledons) start to die.

Stugots

Stugots

I always give mine straight water for the first few weeks, until the first little round leaves ( cotyledons) start to die.

Good to know, I’ll try that next run for sure. My tap water is generally 120-150ppm.

When I started this run I used the GH trio till I got 200-230ppm.

Stugots

Stugots

3893FFE9 CA0B 4322 8B43 4FAD57B15892

012D5DF8 F45B 4E15 A291 B3475676F471

6D6A98D0 98EC 4965 892B 22764416C695

9DD71939 9686 4116 A929 8BE2A308D25B

I did a bucket change on the Alaskan Berry last weekend.

March 15 - 5.5ph - 497ppm

I didn’t expect her to drink 3/4 of the bucket.

I measured 5.9ph - 500ppm in the remaining water.

I topped it off with ph’d RO/TAP (70/30).

My Alaskan Berry is now 5.5ph - 330ppm and filled ~1-2” under the net pot

Thoughts? Leave it as is? Do I add some Veg nutrient to bump it up back to 500ppm? Do I keep trying to grow this thing side ways in my tent to maximize yield since I only really have the one plant. (That Berry Kush really isn’t taking

Should I be flipping this thing? The canopy is faiiiirly even... not the best not the worst.

All opinions welcome!

Cheers 🍻

Latest posts

Top Bottom