The Definitive Green Dragon

• Thread starter DrugleyDoRite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrugleyDoRite

This is the one and only folks. I just thought I would post this as I didn't see it listed.

I use this exclusively now. I do not smoke anymore because my lungs are shot from years of abuse from hot knives, bottle tokes and anything else you can think of.

This is a great recipe. I recommend it to anyone that has a problem with burning a doob or pipe.

There are a couple things I must point out before I get started.

1.) I use 5 gr of bud and 3 oz of either 94% alcool or Bacardi 151. They both work well but the higher the alcohol % the better. Do not go lower than 75% though.
2.) I bake the ground bud for 20 min @ 200 F. This is easier that the method listed.

This is not my recipe and I take no credit for the content. Much work has gone into this and it works fantastic. Do not deviate from the procedure and read the whole thing before proceeding. This will eliminate many errors and provide the success of a good end result.

OK here we go.
The Definitive Green Dragon (Revised)

Here is the very successful result of a considerable amount of research into the elusive and magical Green Dragon.

This is a simple and efficient 4 Step process.

Ingredients:
1/8oz high quality cannabis
2 oz Bacardi Rum – 151 proof

I Use:
5 gr Good Bud
3 oz bacardi 151 proof

Double the Recipe?
Sure, why not. It should be fine. But I prefer to err on the side of caution and would probably do the extraction twice with a self-titration in between runs.

Using an Ounce
The recipe should scale nicely from 1/8 to whole ounce. But, unless you have experience with smaller batches I'd recommend sticking with the recipe as written. It would be a shame to have something go wrong with a large batch. I strongly recommend making the GD a couple of times before trying to scale up.

Process Summary:

1. Chop cannabis very fine (coffee grinder works great)
2. Place in a shallow pan or aluminum foil and bake at 325°F for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and place cannabis in 2 oz of 151 proof rum
4. Simmer in a water bath for 20 minutes. Maintain temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture between 170°F.
5. Strain the mixture and store.

Process details—references and rationalizations:

1. Chop the cannabis
More surface area gives means a faster and more efficient extraction.
-Leaf vs. Bud
I have not tried the extraction with leaf. But you would obviously need loads more. The problem is you will also need much more alcohol. My guess is you should use somewhere on the order of 10 parts alcohol to 1 part leaf. Then once you are finished you will want to remove the spent leaf, and then concentrate the alcohol by boiling off most of it (using the water bath of course) until you have one ounce of GD remaining.

2. Bake the cannabis.
This converts THCA to THC via a decarboxylation reaction.
In whole-plant cannabis, THC content is expressed as THCA (tetrahydrocannabolic acid) prior to decarboxylation into THC, which takes place when cannabis is heated during cooking, and smoked or vaporized ingestion. THCA is a mild analgesic and anti-inflammatory but does not have good affinity with our CB1 receptors, so in order to make a THC-rich tincture that has many of the same therapeutic effects as smoked ingestion (including rapid absorption, quick relief and ease of self-titration), we must convert the THCA in the plant matter into THC prior to extracting it through an alcohol soak. (from Vancouver Island Compassion Society hxxp://thevics.com/cannamist.htm)
THC vaporizes at about 380°F. We want to heat the cannabis to convert THCA to THC, but keep the temperature under 380°F. That is why 325°F is used. Between four and five minutes your oven (and house) will start to smell very strong. This is the time to remove the cannabis from the oven.

Notice also that there is considerable misinformation regarding heating the cannabis. It is true that you don't have to heat it to extract both THC and THCA, but the amount of THC in whole plant preparations is relatively small compared to after decarboxylation of the THCA. So if you want to maximize the strength of your tincture you must heat the cannabis prior to extraction.

Bake the pot at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. I chop mine in a mini-prep (or chop by hand) until it is quite fine. Then I spread it out on a piece of aluminum foil which is placed directly on the oven rack. If you place the foil on a baking pan you will need to account for the additional mass of the pan which will increase your baking time. Pre-baking should stink up the house. I turn on the stove vent fan. I also do all my cooking at night after neighbors are in bed. Keep a close eye on it!

Note that OKSmokey uses 20 minutes at 200°F. I haven't tried this but he has had good success with this temperature.

I look for two indicators that the pot is properly pre-baked. First, I look for the pot to change color from it's initial shade of green to a much darker greenish-brown (or brownish-green). I assume this represents not browning (burning) of the leaf but rather the denaturation of the chlorophyll in the leaves.

Second, I look for a slight amount of vapors to rise off the pot. Since the temperature is well below the vaporization temperature of THC, these vapors probably consist of compounds that vaporize at lower temperatures (like water).

3. Use the highest proof alcohol available.
Where I live this is Bacardi 151. The more alcohol the more efficient the extraction will be.

4. Simmer the mixture.
This is one of the areas that seems to be most debated. Many recipes call for placing the cannabis (unbaked of course) into the alcohol and waiting 2 – 6 weeks. The main concern with heating the alcohol is that it is “explosive” (not exactly true...it is however flammable).

The purpose of the simmering is to heat the alcohol mixture to improve extraction rates and efficiencies. Heating during extraction increases the motion of the molecules (basic physics/chemistry) and drastically decreases extraction times. The boiling point of pure ethanol is 173°F (78°C). We will use the water bath to heat the rum/cannabis mixture to just below the boiling point of ethanol.

Heating the alcohol mixture can be done very safely using a hot water bath. You will need an accurate candy or quick read thermometer. Place about 1 inch of water in a wide, vertical-edged pan (9” diameter x 3” high). Bring the water to a low simmer. The rum/cannabis mixture should be in a small (1 pint) mason jar. Do NOT cover the jar.

Put the thermometer into the mason jar and place into the simmering water bath. Bring the temperature of the rum/cannabis mixture to about 170°F. The alcohol should be just barely boiling.

You should have the oven fan on high. You will notice that any alcohol fumes are mixed with water vapor from the water bath and vented out the fan. This combined with the fact that you are trying not to boil the ethanol makes the process quite safe.

I've had good success with extractions at 170 degrees fahrenheit. You'll note that my initial recipe called for maintaining temperature between 150 and 165. At 170 the alcohol mixture will be slightly boiling. Note that this is alcohol boiling not water boiling. Alcohol boils with very fine bubbles as opposed to the rolling boil of water. After 20 minutes the alcohol should be reduced by about half.

5. Strain and store.
When you are done extracting you will have one ounce (or so) of GD. But it is mixed up with the 1/8 oz of spent plant material. Here is how I recover the maximum amount of my extract.

First, I strain it through a regular kitchen mesh strainer. I use the back of a spoon to force out as much GD as possible.

Next (this is the cool part) I use a garlic press to squeeze the remaining leaves. My preference is a Zylis Garlic Press because it has a plunger mechanism, but any press should do. I then put the squeezings into the plunger in batches, and squeeze the holy GD out of it. This trick has increased my overall recovery by about 15%

When you are finished with the extraction you will be left with about 1oz of green dragon tincture after you have strained the extract. Notice that one ounce of the alcohol has evaporated. See the tips below for a good way to strain the tincture.

A standard eyedropper will transfer about 1ml (or 1 gram) of liquid. There are 29 milliliters in one ounce. So you should end up with about 30 or so full eyedroppers (30 milliliters) of Green Dragon.
Final Color and Smell
The green dragon should be a greenish-brown color (more brown than green). If it is emerald green and smells like grass (from the cholorphyll), it will be weak. Emerald green indicates that the pre-baking was not sufficient. The GD should smell like bud, somewhat floral.

6. Dosage. Titration.
You will have to figure dosage with each batch. And you must test it on yourself. The way to do this is through titration (a fancy chemical term that means to determine the concentration of a solution). The concentration of GD will change based on the strength of the starting material, the amount of alcohol you boil off during the extraction, the efficiency of your pre-bake, etc.

Start with one or two full dropperfuls (not drops! About 1 ml per dropper) and swallow them down. Check the time and note when you first feel effects, when you peak, the intensity of the peak, and how long it lasts. Make sure you can reproduce your titration (empty stomach, time of day, diluted in water?, etc). If you like what you feel, great. If too much or not good enough try again tomorrow with a different amount. With two points (high and low) you should have a pretty good idea of how it works on your body. Of course it might be different on someone considerably bigger or smaller.

For instance one batch I made was unbelievably strong--1 dropperful and I was flying. The next one took 3 dropperfuls for same effect (but the solution was more dilute as I ended up with 1.75oz instead of 1oz of final GD, the pot wasn't as good, and my pre-bake was a bit too short since I was using an unfamiliar oven and a baking pan instead of just aluminum foil).

One milliliiter (one full eyedropper) is very nice. Two puts you in space. But you must self-titrate (test it on yourself) as each batch will be slightly different. Effects take up to 1.5 hours to begin (at least in myself) and lasted for 5 hours (1 dropper) to 7-8 hours (2 droppers).

I place one eyedropper (1ml) of Green Dragon in a small glass. I then add a small amount of water (1-2 ml) and drink. Do this on an empty stomach for best results (about 20-30 minutes before eating a main meal is good).

Everybody is different. It takes me between 30-90 minutes to feel the effects of Green Dragon (depending on how much food is in my stomach).

I had tried a tincture someone had made using the cold extraction method with the same amount of cannabis and found that 5 ml (5 full eyedroppers) did pretty much nothing.

Using my Green Dragon technique I find that one dropper will bring effects on in 30-90 minutes and last 5 hours with 1.5 hours of lingering aftereffects.

Two droppers gave me a "spiritual dose" (as strong as any brownie I ever had). Effects lasted 7-8 hours with lingering effects for 2 more hours.

How much is in an Eyedropper
An eyedropper holds about one milliliter of liquid, depending on how hard you squeeze the little bulb. For water based solutions one milliliter weighs about one gram. Thus each full eyedropper contains about one gram of liquid. Since there are about 29 grams in one ounce, you get about 29 full eyedroppers in every ounce. The eyedropper I initially used measured 34 full droppers in an ounce.

Also I use the nice blue two-ounce dropper bottles from the health food store that are used for essential oils, tinctures, and/or other extracts

This means that 1/8oz of good cannabis yields about 30-34 doses of tincture (1 dropperful is really all I need). For me it is much more pleasant than smoking (I've stopped smoking entirely).

--------------------------------------------
Combined Tips and Techniques

1. Don't put the stuff in your eye ;-). And don't put it under your tongue because it burns. I now place the GD in a tablespoon (or so) of water--yum.

2. When is it Ready
Right away. That is one of the nice things about this extraction process.

3. Taste
I find that after a week in the fridge (that's where I store mine) the flavor seems to mature into a heady, slightly floral elixer with bud overtones. I find it rather pleasant.

4. Isopropyl Alcohol
DON'T USE IT!

Master Wu
:damnhippie:

F

FastForward

Awesome - many thanks. Have always read so much about the legendary green dragon but never tried any myself.....and now you've given me the means to make my own....kudos bro...

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

ive tried this with an 1/8th before inside a flask of 151 no special technique i just ground it up and let it soak for 7 days....im not sure if i did it 100 % correct but let me tell you that shit was toooo strong..i took only 2 big shots and i couldnt even touch anymore..the thc goes through your blood as fast as the alcohol so its a much different effect than eating it....i even had soft visuals when i closed my eyes.....ive tried this same technique with wormwood extract which is the ingredient in absinth and it was interesting to say the least if you like the sound of a loud buzzing in your head :)

drugley, you should try a glycerin extract if you cant smoke anymore it will give you a similar affect without getting drunk, personally if i had to drink 151 every time i felt like smoking i would quit in a day...check it out

R

Rocket_Man

I used the 'Cold' method, just put the buds and shake into a mason jar and stirred every once in a while. Now that I know that it should have been heated first to activate the plant matter, is it possible to activate the THC now that it's in solution?

Thanks!

P

Pistil Pete

Hey, seminoleguerilla, thanks alot for the glycerine extract link. That's a big help for those of us that do not use alcohol.

mikeb437

mikeb437

i never made or tried greendragon or a tincture but i was going to use the stems and crap i usually throw away.. is that ok to use? i hate the thought of putting good dope into a tincture rather than smoking it..unless it gets me messed up.. lol any thoughts people?

D

DrugleyDoRite

Bud is best. Twigs and shake will work but the strength of the tincture is weaker.

seminoleguerilla, thanks for the link. Alcohol doesn't bother me but I would like to try other methods.

R

robb257731

First time poster, long time lurker.

Going to try this today....heated my product, now waiting for a candy thermometer to arrive.

Instead of Bacardi 151, I picked up some good old Polish Spirytus 96% alcohol/volume, which is 192 proof. Everything I've read says the higher the alcohol proof the better, so I picked up this stuff...probably used to peel wallpaper, but we shall see!

I'll update after the first try.

R

robb257731

success?

Tried this yesterday...had a really hard time getting the alcohol to 170 for some reason. The water was more at a fast boil rather than a slow simmer. In any event, used 5gr of kush and 3oz of Spirytus as above.

The finished product came out a dark greenish brown. Tastes HORRIBLE. Very, very bitter, even when mixed in a glass of orange juice. Started off with a one mililitre dose...after about 15 minutes felt a little light headed. Then it grew to a mellow buzz over the next 30-45 minutes. Lasted quite awhile, but it was weak. Boosted with another mililitre about 45 minutes in. Increased it somewhat, but still nothing fantastic.

That being said...I did not have an empty stomach. Next try will be 3 mils on an empty stomach.

Will post an update!

GDub51

GDub51

BLACK DRAGON; My dragon is made with home grown White Widow and 151 an oz of decarbed flower, in the Magic Butter (cutting blade replaced with custom stirring blade) machine with just enough rum to cover. 4hrs at 130' f then triple filtered then repeat TWICE re-using the tincture over fresh batches of flower three times to increase the THC/CBD content, adding just enough fresh rum to compensate for the evaporation loss from the process. Then I no longer reduce with heat, I pour the tincture into a Pyrex pan about 3/8th inch deep and just set it on a level surface and leave it to gas off the majority of the alcohol. Not only safer, but more complete without burning. When done it looks totally dry and does not move when pan is tilted. Heat the pan with a 90 watt incandescent lamp just enough to loosen and then gather into a pool with a silicone spatula and stir until bubbles stop then draw up into syringes for accurate dosing. Of course one can leave as much alcohol as you like, I find it too bitter with "any" alcohol left. Makes the equal of a batch made with "exotic" 30%+ THC dispensary stuff. And OH, because of the jumbo size of my batch I use a potato ricer to squeeze the final juice from the herb, one screen fits inside and two more filter the outflow for a nice clean BLACK DRAGON. The original Magic Butter cutting blade must be removed or the resultant tincture is too full of ground up material no matter how much I try to filter it. I made my own. If you can't I might consider marketing it. Simple if you have metal working tools. In this way the highest cost for me is the rum! AND re-cycling it through fresh batches of flower saves on rum cost while enriching the tincture. I want to try this with the "cold" recipe to limit the chlorophyll and other distasteful yet non-medicinal components, while losing less alcohol to evaporation. "OK Dragon, sit!, speak!, shake!, OW!, the damn thing bit me!!
Be Dareful but be careful! GDub

Top Bottom