The Dope Shed.

• Thread starter CallmeTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bicky studs

bicky studs

So as far as differences between coco and TLO, here are some of my preliminary thoughts on it:
Because I did use such a large container 10gal, the root systems never did completely fill the container. Because of this the growth was more like soil but slightly faster vegetative growth (first 3 weeks stretch). Also started bloom with smaller plants than normal, which is why overall yield is low.
Pros:
-Higher yield, by 10% (considering plant size) for instance the Ceasar plants had a larger frame on the seedling run, but only yielded between 125-150. Coco run was between 150-200.
-Was easier to manage the nutrients feeding directly vs. mixing organic soil. Cheaper as well.
-Frost was just as strong as previous runs.:fire:
-Taste is just as good as previous runs. Nobody can tell the difference.
Cons:
-Smell not quite as potent as previous runs. (Most likely due to not letting it hang dry long enough) I'll have a better idea of whats up on this next batch.
-Fungus gnats are still a problem, both coco and organic soil.

Shots of Ceasar #2
View attachment 780912
View attachment 780913
Kimbo #8
View attachment 780914
View attachment 780915
nice man, yeah gotta keep the dry nice n slow aye. such a massive difference in taste n smell if the dry/cure is right on, great results right off the bat in coco.:badboy:
see what happens with the smaller pot size... thanks for taking the time m8​
im keen as for this run to finish. wifey circling already n theres another month.
im sure a few lower limbs dissapeared while i was at work:sweating:

stiffneck

stiffneck

So as far as differences between coco and TLO, here are some of my preliminary thoughts on it:
Because I did use such a large container 10gal, the root systems never did completely fill the container. Because of this the growth was more like soil but slightly faster vegetative growth (first 3 weeks stretch). Also started bloom with smaller plants than normal, which is why overall yield is low.
Pros:
-Higher yield, by 10% (considering plant size) for instance the Ceasar plants had a larger frame on the seedling run, but only yielded between 125-150. Coco run was between 150-200.
-Was easier to manage the nutrients feeding directly vs. mixing organic soil. Cheaper as well.
-Frost was just as strong as previous runs.:fire:
-Taste is just as good as previous runs. Nobody can tell the difference.
Cons:
-Smell not quite as potent as previous runs. (Most likely due to not letting it hang dry long enough) I'll have a better idea of whats up on this next batch.
-Fungus gnats are still a problem, both coco and organic soil.

Shots of Ceasar #2
View attachment 780912
View attachment 780913
Kimbo #8
View attachment 780914
View attachment 780915

Its hard to find any GREEN in the Ceasar #2! It's all white! :)

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

Thanks y'all. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:kiss::fire:

Here's some from the Purple storm tonight. Started strait water a couple days ago.
100 6249

100 6241

This one turned out more blockheaded. Had a crazy deficiency/disease early on and looks very different from the others now.
100 6240

Dosi-Mint #3 is growing much taller than the others.
100 6243

100 6251

So far I've pulled one leaf off of this whole crop in flower. Want to keep it to an absolute minimum for this grow. :ninja:
100 6250

This Ceasar is looking a little sad, Not sure why. A couple eaves have some rust on them, and blotchy yellow fading on some of the leaves. This was the first clone I potted up into coco and took forever to grow but finally got big in veg, so that could be part of it. Running Temps between 81-70, Humidity at 60%, Co2 700-800, and Jacks 3-2-1 with added Mamoth P was @ 800 ppm last week. Just bumped it up to 1100 ppm on the last res change Sunday.
100 6244

Thanks for following along:smoking:

Last edited:
bicky studs

bicky studs

Thanks y'all. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:kiss::fire:

Here's some from the Purple storm tonight. Started strait water a couple days ago.
View attachment 781264
View attachment 781265

This one turned out more blockheaded. Had a crazy deficiency/disease early on and looks very different from the others now.
View attachment 781266

Dosi-Mint #3 is growing much taller than the others.
View attachment 781267
View attachment 781269

So far I've pulled one leaf off of this whole crop in flower. Want to keep it to an absolute minimum for this grow. :ninja:
View attachment 781268

This Ceasar is looking a little sad, Not sure why. A couple eaves have some rust on them, and blotchy yellow fading on some of the leaves. This was the first clone I potted up into coco and took forever to grow but finally got big in veg, so that could be part of it. Running Temps between 81-70, Co2 700-800, and Jacks 3-2-1 with added Mamoth P was @ 800 ppm last week. Just bumped it up to 1100 ppm on the last res change Sunday.
View attachment 781270

Thanks for following along:smoking:
so its Ca for sure but,,,, its probly cause the coco dried out a while back if ur using calmag. had it at the start too. since using Ca. mono 1/4 strength and i got my watering tuned its been all good. just watch the new signs...imo

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

so its Ca for sure but,,,, its probly cause the coco dried out a while back if ur using calmag. had it at the start too. since using Ca. mono 1/4 strength and i got my watering tuned its been all good. just watch the new signs...imo

I think you're right, because it did dry out a little bit a few days ago. Had to hand water and adjust the irrigation. Checked it tonight and I think it's getting runoff now.

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

One aspect that coco really shines in over soil is veg. Fuggin blowin up in veg. Both Moon Dog seeds I cracked are female, and the largest is getting a really dank smell already. It's the plant furthest left. Great structure, very excited.
100 6252

Day 22 for this batch. Dosi-Mint #3 is stacking and hopefully done stretching.
100 6253

100 6254

PS on like day 53, very respectable run. Flush almost complete, should come down 8wks on the nose.
100 6259

100 6263

Ceasar is still looking hungry for more food. Next res change gets a higher dose. It's around 1000 ppm right now, and getting zero burnt tips. Should I try to take it around 1200ppm?
100 6255

B

Burned Haze

^ looking good

What I love about coco is the reusable guratee . Look at so many growers they reinfect their gardens because they are rebringing in new mediem ( you only lose like 5-10% at most every run , just make sure to bat them roots lol )

I just have my extra coco in trash cans and game for years lol ( amazing how a 3-5 gal plant can be as big as a 10-20+ gal soil easy and never have to replace the medium every 2-3 runs )
Runoff and not letting salt makes coco superior

B

Burned Haze

Not sure why spell check reversed “bat” with pat

All need to do is pat/beat them roots after harvest and you get your coco back , alot of guys think when it’s so root bound it’s inpossible/not worth it per say. but all you gotta do is is make sure it’s a little moist and tickle it a little and pat/beat it apart. Done! ( who does not want a medium that can be used forever as long as you make sure you do proper run off and proper ipm, 5-10% loss at end of year , fuck soil lol )

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

All need to do is pat/beat them roots after harvest and you get your coco back , alot of guys think when it’s so root bound it’s inpossible/not worth it per say. but all you gotta do is is make sure it’s a little moist and tickle it a little and pat/beat it apart. Done! ( who does not want a medium that can be used forever as long as you make sure you do proper run off and proper ipm, 5-10% loss at end of year , fuck soil lol )

I like the reusable part for sure. Not sure on the IPM though. I need to get on those links you sent me, but been a little lazy lately. Have you herd of anyone steaming their coco to get rid of fungus gnats?

bicky studs

bicky studs

get ur bat out
The Dope Shed.
😢

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom