The Drying During the Storm---

• Thread starter Ddebrazza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Given the low humidity in Arizona, I have completed my entire grow without using a dehumidifier without any issues. Friday morning I harvested my plants and then this afternoon we had a brief storm that boosted humidity. I am using my Tent to dry as I was initially worried about the plants drying too quickly if I had just left them to sit out and air dry. The Tent has a Portable AC connected. Temps have been between 68-74 degrees.

4-5 hours ago I added in 2 Damp-Rid bags to try and draw in some of that excess moisture in the air but so far they have not done much, if anything at all. I also laid out a cookie tray of white rice to see if that helps. Humidity is currently between 60-75%

At this point we are about 36 hours into the drying process. Any other helpful tips for combating high humidity? I do not want to go buy a dehumidifier to us for just a couple days if I can avoid it.

The drying during the storm

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Well, I ended up taking 2 large bakers trays, filling 1 with White Rice and 1 with the desiccant from inside the DampRid box.

Temp has been kept between 64-70, focusing on keeping it in the lower 60's now. Humidity is down to 60%

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

20210706 184132
20210706 184209
20210706 184152

Tomorrow at 9am will make 5 full days of drying in the tent.

The damprid seems to be doing its job, I noticed a decent amount of water collected inside each one.

The stems are still a little "bendy" but the buds seem like they are pretty close to dry....

Debating if I should dry-trim tomorrow afternoon and throw the buds into brown paper bags or give them

What is your drying method and timing? From looking at my buds, can you tell anything about my growing techniques and room for improvement?

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Given the low humidity in Arizona, I have completed my entire grow without using a dehumidifier without any issues. Friday morning I harvested my plants and then this afternoon we had a brief storm that boosted humidity. I am using my Tent to dry as I was initially worried about the plants drying too quickly if I had just left them to sit out and air dry. The Tent has a Portable AC connected. Temps have been between 68-74 degrees.

4-5 hours ago I added in 2 Damp-Rid bags to try and draw in some of that excess moisture in the air but so far they have not done much, if anything at all. I also laid out a cookie tray of white rice to see if that helps. Humidity is currently between 60-75%

At this point we are about 36 hours into the drying process. Any other helpful tips for combating high humidity? I do not want to go buy a dehumidifier to us for just a couple days if I can avoid it.

View attachment 1142452
When I was doing it in a tent, depending on ambient humidity, I would just open one of the doors a little bit. The first couple days it isn't uncommon to see it around 70+, but I try my best to keep it under 70 in the first couple days. Dehumidifiers can really dry them out too fast imo. When I'm drying it takes 12 to 14 days at 60°/60 rh.

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1143305View attachment 1143306View attachment 1143307

Tomorrow at 9am will make 5 full days of drying in the tent.

The damprid seems to be doing its job, I noticed a decent amount of water collected inside each one.

The stems are still a little "bendy" but the buds seem like they are pretty close to dry....

Debating if I should dry-trim tomorrow afternoon and throw the buds into brown paper bags or give them

What is your drying method and timing? From looking at my buds, can you tell anything about my growing techniques and room for improvement?
The longer you can wait the better. When the buds snap off the branch and you can trim the whole thing down to to top bud without scissors-just fingers, then its time. If your humidity stays over 55 it can take weeks. If it drops under 45rh put them in a paper bag to slow it down. If you need scissors to trim, it's not time. That's how I do it. Lots of different ways.

Madbud

Madbud

Well, I ended up taking 2 large bakers trays, filling 1 with White Rice and 1 with the desiccant from inside the DampRid box.

Temp has been kept between 64-70, focusing on keeping it in the lower 60's now. Humidity is down to 60%
Or fill a clean sock with rice and hang it in the tent.

elduderito

elduderito

IF you can keep a pretty constant 60% RH you should be able to fully dry them hanging the way they are nice and slow. Putting into paper bags is to increase the humidity to prolong the drying phase - only necessary if you have RH lower than 60%. I use this method as I am not able to maintain consistent humidity

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

When I was doing it in a tent, depending on ambient humidity, I would just open one of the doors a little bit. The first couple days it isn't uncommon to see it around 70+, but I try my best to keep it under 70 in the first couple days. Dehumidifiers can really dry them out too fast imo. When I'm drying it takes 12 to 14 days at 60°/60 rh.

Thank you! I will just be more patient. Let them go a few more days

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I just checked them, they actually seem done. they buds are nice and dry. The buds are relatively small on these plants so I think maybe they dried quicker than the stems which were holding more water in them....

They could definitely be dry-trimmed by just rubbing my fingers along the buds to brush off the dried leaf.

Plan is to dry-trim this afternoon and throw the buds into paper bags for 24-hours, then start the curing process. A total drying time of almost 7 days.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Agreed. My buddy is giving me a 6'' AC Infinity with controller and a brand new SF4000, 460W LED light for "friendship,"

I am excited.

I think the buds are ready, the are dry and almost "crispy," if that makes any sense, but the stems still dont just "snap" they still fold, but as you can tell from my pictures, I did not have the largest flowers to begin with.

Ima do my dry trim here in a couple hours.

growsince79

growsince79

Agreed. My buddy is giving me a 6'' AC Infinity with controller and a brand new SF4000, 460W LED light for "friendship,"

I am excited.

I think the buds are ready, the are dry and almost "crispy," if that makes any sense, but the stems still dont just "snap" they still fold, but as you can tell from my pictures, I did not have the largest flowers to begin with.

Ima do my dry trim here in a couple hours.
Probably not dry. Put a bud in a pipe and see. If the buds don't easily snop off the stem clean it's not dry.

Top Bottom