The effects of GABA in cannabis plants

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with using this??? From what I understand it helps with plant vigor and increases the immunity respronses in cannabis, increasing THC and especially CBD levels.

Alright, got me a big pile of 100% pure GABA and going to try it out.... First, the taste test... (Taste bitter and only activates taste buds on the far distal parts of the toungue, otherwise tasteless)

The non-protein amino acid, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) rapidly accumulates in plant tissues in response to biotic and abiotic stress, and regulates plant growth.

In plants, GABA is proposed to take multiple functions under non-stressed and stressed conditions. It is a key metabolite for primary and secondary pathways being an important intermediate of nitrogen metabolism and amino acid biosynthesis. In addition, the GABA metabolism through the GABA shunt provides a source for carbon skeletons and energy for down-stream biosynthetic pathways. GABA is also involved in signaling or regulatory mechanisms. It indirectly affects plant growth and development throughout the whole crop cycle and it accumulates rapidly in response to abiotic stresses. It has been shown to contribute to responses to biotic stresses through multiple mechanisms. An overactivation of the GABA shunt can help to restrict the spread of necrotrophic fungi like Botrytis. The activity of GABA against insects may be based either on a direct inhibitory effect or on an induction of down-stream defense reactions or on a combination of both mechanisms. The dual function of GABA as a metabolite and as a component of signaling pathways is a combination enabling plants to cope with different conditions. Exogenously applied GABA triggers similar effects than the intrinsic molecule and may, therefore, offer the potential to improve the overall vigor of plants.

It can be found in all types of organisms including bacteria, fungi, plants and animals
In addition, it seems to be an important component in the regulation of carbon: nitrogen metabolism

There is strong evidence that GABA is involved in mediating tolerance towards a variety of environmental stresses such as low light, salinity, nitrogen starvation, drought or temperature (Kinnersley & Turano, 2000) and that it promotes plant growth and mitigates stress via up-regulating antioxidant defense systems and may therefore also contribute to the improvement of shelf life and crop quality during storage. The GABA metabolism has been shown to be involved in the recycling and reallocation of nitrogen during leaf senescence caused by abiotic stress (Jalil, Ahmad, & Ansari, 2017). In addition, it was demonstrated that it can also play a role in the defense of plants towards biotic stress caused by insects and necrotrophic fungi

345px gaba 3d ball
345px gamma aminobuttersure   gamma aminobutyric acid
The effects of gaba in cannabis plants 3
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Did some foliars tonight, some discoveries so far. It's highly dissolvable in water, nothing else required. I started out using approx 1/16 tsp in 1000 ml (ppm says 25 in RO water) and washed both the plants down and the soil, as well. pH is around 6.5-7 from the looks of it.

This is what the index say's, it's actually got two different pH levels, which is a good thing, should help buffering effects.... dissolution into a carboxyl and amine in H20.

Although in chemical terms, GABA is an amino acid (as it has both a primary amine and a carboxylic acid functional group), it is rarely referred to as such. GABA is not an alpha amino acid, meaning the amino group is not attached to the alpha carbon so it is not incorporated into proteins.

Basically, this little molecule modulates multiple functions, not only within THC/CBD production and ratio's, but is also a precursor fractional component to all cellular functions, and a key component as a chemical messenger signaling between the plant, and it's benefical microbes.

A metabolic product of plants and microorganisms produced by the decarboxylation of glutamic acid.

Under normal conditions, Glu takes part in seed germination, root architecture, pollen germination, and pollen tube growth. Under stree, Glu participates in wound response, pathogen resistance, response and adaptation to abiotic stress (such as salt, cold, heat, and drought), and local stimulation (abiotic or biotic stress)-triggered long distance signaling transduction. Glu signaling in plants,

Properties
Chemical formulaC4H9NO2
Molar mass103.120 g/mol
Appearancewhite microcrystalline powder
Density1.11 g/mL
Melting point203.7 °C (398.7 °F; 476.8 K)
Boiling point247.9 °C (478.2 °F; 521.0 K)
Solubility in water130 g/100 mL
log P−3.17
Acidity (pKa)
  • 4.031 (carboxyl; H2O)
  • 10.556 (amino; H2O)

IMG 20210303 213002034
IMG 20210303 213004562
Last edited:
Arwood

Arwood

curious if gaba changes the terpene profile. Is this your first time using it in your grow?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You are like the nute companies @Frankster

one study even unrelated to cannabis and you start trying to make a product.

;-)

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
curious if gaba changes the terpene profile. Is this your first time using it in your grow?
This is exactly what the research suggest actually, yes, it changes the profiles, and might serve as a means of application for wide scale commercial production. Increasing CBD content, and keeping stuff from popping out of flowering.... ect... it also supposed to be highly healthy for the plants in general.

@MIMedGrower Maybe, who knows? If it looks like it's something that's highly beneficial, or actually works, sure! I like having options, and I don't mind sharing information, and I'm certainly not trying to push anything on anyone, but I'm most certainly interested in chemical pre-cursors, hormones, cytokines, growth factors, ect... and/or anything else that has to do with the central mechanisms surrounding plant energy production, stress response and immunity, and chemical movers.

It's why I installed the T5 UV A-B spectrum lights also, because wide spectrums could well enhance processes such as these. Finding ways of natrually stressing the plant responses. Creating the full potential of a specific genetic expression, it needs the proper diet + light.

Fortunately, Most plant fractions are widely available in the supplement industry, and available in pure forms, it's not an approach most biologist would take, because it's expensive, and raising one plant to grow another isn't exactly a highly sustainable economic policy, but for high value crops that's changing.

I've found that certain things like Yukka extracts, Glycerin (a extract component) among others tend to be highly beneficial to growing. GABA is isolated from potato tubers, so probably has many root mechanisms as well as what's already discovered. Many of these ideas are up to date, cutting edge research, not something from 20 years ago.

This is not bullshit.

Highlights

Both salicylic acid and GABA induced THCAS gene expression.

There was a significant correlation between THCAS gene expression and THC content.

The higher amount of THC coincided with the lower amount of CBD.

Salicylic acid and GABA can be used as elicitor compounds to massively produce THC and CBD.

Standard protocol based on spraying on plants to elicit specific metabolites which are mainly produced at flowering time and in flowering organs has many benefits alongside other elicitation approaches.

And yes, I can quote dozens of other species of plant this approach works on as well. Looks like it works on peppers, and some other crops. it looks like it works across a wide variety of plant species actually, and is not isolated to being used for cannabis only.... Take a min, and read the article, then give me your thoughts. Instead of just mocking me.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
There are lot's of research being done in this area.

Here's the pepper article, I think it's all works from the same premise, actually.

Improved drought tolerance in grass... (something we already know for sure increases cannabis potency, during late flowering)

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
@Frankster in no way did i mean to say you push anything on anyone. Experiment away my friend. Experiment away!
LOL,
Yea, I realize I might be a little renegade freethinker on some pretty obscure and somewhat esoteric approaches, and maybe that's not always going to pan out (it doesn't), but I think it can, and it certainly does work occasionally, because I've got a handful of highly effective approaches by trying random things, to see if it helps. Some of my ideas might be a little nutty, I suppose. As long as there's a decent theoretical chance, I'm willing to feed the plant most anything, then move on to the next idea. There's a ton of biochemicals fractions in plants available, so it's not like there' a shortage of things to try, and it's all relatively cheap and widely available. Usually your aware right away if your on the right track or not.

For me, it's fun, and something new to do. What I really need is more space, so I can expand and do more than just play around. I need a greenhouse.

The proof will be with these guys, if it works. They are light colored and small, but they have nice budding sites so far, by the looks of it. They've also been getting 12 full hours of UV light for awhile now, LOL, that's a LOT of stress..

IMG 0684
IMG 0685
IMG 0686
IMG 0687
Last edited:
Arwood

Arwood

Good luck, you amazing scientist you. I might not be too far behind when I can figure out how to measure out the gaba correctly.
On that note, been reading another thread where aqua man is assisting another (I asked for help too) for a self watering system. Mixing that with different jugs of treated water would make for an excellent controlled experiment. At least I think so. Measuring out water in ball jars is getting old fast.

I really love the knowledge gained from this community. I hope I can give back even half as much as the rest of y’all.

GYOweed

GYOweed

So OR state tested bud factor x for 5000ppm SA.
What does that end up being ppm in their dosage? Cheaper and better to make it yourself. Also good for rooting.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So OR state tested bud factor x for 5000ppm SA.
What does that end up being ppm in their dosage? Cheaper and better to make it yourself. Also good for rooting.
This is the one I use in that vein. Not for the weak of heart. It's a nightmare to work with around, as it will peel your face down to the bone, blind or kill you. ☢️⚠️☠️ Plus it needs a carrier, because SA is not water soluble. This acid is prone to particulate in air, so I don't use it often. Sometimes will mix up a batch in early flower, if I have a few drifting though. It sits on the biohazard shelf w/lid tight.

Covering arms/eyes/cloth face covering is mandatory.
Put into 2 tbsp veg glycerin, then solubilized in aqueous. ---->1000 ml h20 then pH balance.

As for ppm, I don't have much idea's, I've been using "a little" because it's exceptionally acidic in vitro, the plants have limitations. Small enough it not kill da plants. Certainly not 5000 ppm, more like 5000 ppb (billion) = (0.5)ppm Maybe 1/32->1/64 tsp (tiny, tiny pinch) per liter, (do not use your fingers) 🤣 and requires rebalancing. And that often has to be diluted further.

No question it increases the bud setting process, but so do a few different ways, it seems. (ie. humic/fluvics) Bottom line, It works, but it's certainly not my favorite chemical to work with. My skin burns just looking at that bottle, lol.

face peel anyone? 👀 Salicylic acid is in many wash-off and leave-on products in concentrations between 0.5% to 2%. Salicylic acid breaks the bonds that hold the cells together
IMG 20210831 181833
IMG 20210831 203514689 2

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
It well may tolerate much higher levels, I do not know personally, as I've never tried. Would be interesting to see. Maybe I will will do a test run at higher concentrations at some point... Maybe on a spare plant somtime.

GYOweed

GYOweed

This is the one I use in that vein. Not for the weak of heart. It's a nightmare to work with around, as it will peel your face down to the bone, blind or kill you. ☢️⚠️☠️ Plus it needs a carrier, because SA is not water soluble. This acid is prone to particulate in air, so I don't use it often. Sometimes will mix up a batch in early flower, if I have a few drifting though. It sits on the biohazard shelf w/lid tight.

Covering arms/eyes/cloth face covering is mandatory.
Put into 2 tbsp veg glycerin, then solubilized in aqueous. ---->1000 ml h20 then pH balance.

As for ppm, I don't have much idea's, I've been using "a little" because it's exceptionally acidic in vitro, the plants have limitations. Small enough it not kill da plants. Certainly not 5000 ppm, more like 5000 ppb (billion) = (0.5)ppm Maybe 1/32->1/64 tsp (tiny, tiny pinch) per liter, (do not use your fingers) 🤣 and requires rebalancing. And that often has to be diluted further.

No question it increases the bud setting process, but so do a few different ways, it seems. (ie. humic/fluvics) Bottom line, It works, but it's certainly not my favorite chemical to work with. My skin burns just looking at that bottle, lol.

face peel anyone? 👀 Salicylic acid is in many wash-off and leave-on products in concentrations between 0.5% to 2%. Salicylic acid breaks the bonds that hold the cells together
View attachment 1163790View attachment 1163791.
Umm OK.
It's 5kppm so at their rate ar 2ml/L that's 2/1000 [1/500]x5000 so final is 10ppm which is low but at every feed it seems.
You can buy the powder from amazon they use it to put it on faces for acne..ive handle it all the time powder got on finger and i didnt die unless i was in CA it may cause cancer but luckily i am not in CA.
It's the derivative of aspirin or something.
I use straight isopropyl to melt it no issues. Lots of research out there on it.
Yes it lowers ph so bubble it and raise it.

bibbles

bibbles

LOL,
Yea, I realize I might be a little renegade freethinker on some pretty obscure and somewhat esoteric approaches, and maybe that's not always going to pan out (it doesn't), but I think it can, and it certainly does work occasionally, because I've got a handful of highly effective approaches by trying random things, to see if it helps. Some of my ideas might be a little nutty, I suppose. As long as there's a decent theoretical chance, I'm willing to feed the plant most anything, then move on to the next idea. There's a ton of biochemicals fractions in plants available, so it's not like there' a shortage of things to try, and it's all relatively cheap and widely available. Usually your aware right away if your on the right track or not.

For me, it's fun, and something new to do. What I really need is more space, so I can expand and do more than just play around. I need a greenhouse.

The proof will be with these guys, if it works. They are light colored and small, but they have nice budding sites so far, by the looks of it. They've also been getting 12 full hours of UV light for awhile now, LOL, that's a LOT of stress..
Yo, how did this turn out?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Umm OK.
It's 5kppm so at their rate ar 2ml/L that's 2/1000 [1/500]x5000 so final is 10ppm which is low but at every feed it seems.
You can buy the powder from amazon they use it to put it on faces for acne..ive handle it all the time powder got on finger and i didnt die unless i was in CA it may cause cancer but luckily i am not in CA.
It's the derivative of aspirin or something.
I use straight isopropyl to melt it no issues. Lots of research out there on it.
Yes it lowers ph so bubble it and raise it.

Can cause severe burns; blindness and respiratory problems. ie. severe chemical burning of the lungs. Yes; it's the same as aspirin; but without the acetyl group attached to it. Ie. acetylsalicylic acid verses the much more potent and purified form of salicylic acid ie. the biological hormone. You can drink sodium bicarbonate for acid indigestion; but it can kill you also; and fast bubba. The recommended dosage for adults is one 1/2 tsp. dissolved in a 4-ounce glass of water; over two hours. I should know; I've got a bio-chemistry; and several decades of medical background here to rely upon.

Bottom line; salicylic acid is a dangerous reagent; and should be handled by professionals; in it's purest forms. As all hormones; they can rapidly upregulate ATP production in our cells; throwing our systems out of homeostasis and equilibrium. Mask and Goggles please on this one. Let's play it safe! 😜

Also remember this is is invariably impossible to remove off of the skin once exposed; cause it simply absorbs into the bloodstream and cellular fluids. It's also not water soluble; so I needs a carrier ion; which can be found in your cells. 😱 But no; I wouldn't worry about carcinogenic quality; unless it's exposed over much longer terms; it's a hormone; it's natural irritant; the body is able to clear such substances; just should not be allowed to accumulate in excessive levels over time.🖖 or stuck to your eyeballs; mouth or peckers. My advice for what it is worth.
PXL 20220404 103615622

Yo, how did this turn out?
Fucking bomb brother; I bought another pound of GABA and some other simple amine's also; been working them all; plugging in many different sour and sweet flavors. It certainly is a viable solution.

Here are a few of the resulting strain results
PXL 20220303 090717206MP

IMG 20211015 002419
PXL 20220302 073347914MP
PXL 20220302 073413802MP 1
PXL 20220303 090703432MP
PXL 20220316 061525641MP 2
PXL 20220401 114025870
PXL 20220401 114144783 1
PXL 20220401 114154055
PXL 20220224 035345762MP
PXL 20220224 035414495MP
PXL 20220224 035605877MP 1
PXL 20220228 010234822MP
Last edited:
GYOweed

GYOweed

Can cause severe burns; blindness and respiratory problems. ie. severe chemical burning of the lungs. Yes; it's the same as aspirin; but without the acetyl group attached to it. Ie. acetylsalicylic acid verses the much more potent and purified form of salicylic acid ie. the biological hormone. You can drink sodium bicarbonate for acid indigestion; but it can kill you also; and fast bubba. The recommended dosage for adults is one 1/2 tsp. dissolved in a 4-ounce glass of water; over two hours. I should know; I've got a bio-chemistry; and several decades of medical background here to rely upon.

Bottom line; salicylic acid is a dangerous reagent; and should be handled by professionals; in it's purest forms. As all hormones; they can rapidly upregulate ATP production in our cells; throwing our systems out of homeostasis and equilibrium. Mask and Goggles please on this one. Let's play it safe! 😜

Also remember this is is invariably impossible to remove off of the skin once exposed; cause it simply absorbs into the bloodstream and cellular fluids. It's also not water soluble; so I needs a carrier ion; which can be found in your cells. 😱 But no; I wouldn't worry about carcinogenic quality; unless it's exposed over much longer terms; it's a hormone; it's natural irritant; the body is able to clear such substances; just should not be allowed to accumulate in excessive levels over time.🖖 or stuck to your eyeballs; mouth or peckers. My advice for what it is worth.
View attachment 1233011

Fucking bomb brother; I bought another pound of GABA and some other simple amine's also; been working them all; plugging in many different sour and sweet flavors. It certainly is a viable solution.

Here are a few of the resulting strain results
View attachment 1233033
Yup eveything i said is made up exaggerations and dihydrogen monooxide is also very dangerous too, they used it as a chemical weapon in gitmo. But if used safely it can be used on T shirts

GYOweed

GYOweed

Btw barely dissolves in dihydrogen monoxide.
And i quit weed cold turkey this morning to leave my shit 24 7 job and find a new one so my tolerance for bs is low today please don't mind me.
Tried to attach video but it doesn't play. Its just me fingering the SA powder and rubbing it under ro. Finger still fine. I sneezed almost from closing the bag and slight puff.
I can post it on tube if u want.

Last edited:
GYOweed

GYOweed

20220315 011326

Nice pics btw if you really want cheat codes...gaba and SA are immune chest codes, now you need the trigger cheat codes. Ethylene will do both. Certain dead bacteria and pest simulators will trigger the aforementioned for a cheat code combo. Dont forget calcium and silica too. Bud factor $ for cheap.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Btw barely dissolves in dihydrogen monoxide.
And i quit weed cold turkey this morning to leave my shit 24 7 job and find a new one so my tolerance for bs is low today please don't mind me.
Tried to attach video but it doesn't play. Its just me fingering the SA powder and rubbing it under ro. Finger still fine. I sneezed almost from closing the bag and slight puff.
I can post it on tube if u want.
Fucking A bubba; good for you. Keep your head up and have your wits about you; cause life is more than a job; and a pocket full of cash; cause you have zero idea what tomorrow will bring; or not.

Fly the coop my friend; stay wild and free... If you have it in you whatsoever. TYVM @logic

Top Bottom