The facts about hydrogen peroxide in hydro

• Thread starter Reeferman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Reeferman

WHEN YOU FIRST GET EMBROILED in the world of growing your own produce it can seem a bit of a minefield when it comes time to hitting the indoor gardening shop in search of your grow-room essentials.

With so many different lotions, potions, additives, supplements, etc., as well as pH up, pH down, buffering solutions, etc., to be stocked up on by the first-time grower, it becomes difficult to see the wood for the trees. Expensive too, at least initially.

So how can you be sure that the grow shop is not spinning you a line with regard to what’s “necessary” and what is a “beneficial” or growers choice, (like Liquid Silicon)?

I come from the old “organic” less-is-more school of thought. Essentially, if it doesn’t smell like it’s just been shovelled off the farmyard floor, then I don’t want to know about it, preferring the sweet taste of truly organic grown produce.

But the truth of the matter is, this short-sighted approach to growing means I miss out on a lot of things that other growers take for granted. Like massive hydro yields for instance!

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that given a pack of seeds and a 14-week diary to keep, the hydro-grown plants will grow bigger, faster, and stronger than similar plants grown under organic conditions, and here’s the reasoning as I see it.

Organic nutrients tend to comprise “raw materials,” that is, a set of components that, as they stand in the bottle, are almost useless to the roots. This is why organic fertilizers seldom work very well when fed to hydroponically grown plants unless accompanied by a heady mix of bacteria, as seen in the new breed of “bio” hydro nutrients, such as BioSevia.

But for the privilege of using a bio-product we have to spend even more of our hard-earned on buying the bacterial solutions we need to add to get the fertilizer to work as it’s meant to. Not exactly cost effective for the grower on a tight budget.

In hydro there are no bacteria at the root zone. Not good bacteria, anyway. We feed bare roots with a cocktail of salt-based fertilizers that are, once mixed with water, absolutely ready for the grower to serve, and for the plants to use, as is. Fast, as well as efficient and straight to the point (or is that straight to the roots?).

But with organic gardening, things happen a little differently.

First of all, we actually encourage microbial activity at the root zone, because this is the organism that actually processes the raw materials we provide and, in doing so, feeds the plants. Of course (as mentioned earlier), there are good bacteria as well as bad bacteria, and this is where the boundaries become a little blurred.

H2O2

So, I’m standing in the hydroponics shop looking at the obligatory solutions required for a successful grow, and the owner points out the H2O2. So I pick up the bottle and start to read the label: “Contains Hydrogen Peroxide at 17.5%”!

It’s worth mentioning at this stage that science lessons were never really my strong point in that dim and distant memory which is my school days. I hardly attended any of them, for one thing. Happiest days of your life?

The facts of the matter as I see them are as follows: why on earth would I spend good money on nurturing a healthy and active micro-herd in the root zone and then set about pouring hydrogen peroxide over them? It’s corrosive, and it makes your hair go white!

So I set about finding out the reason, and what I found was like an epiphany of enlightenment. It also made me wish I had paid more attention during my previously mentioned science lessons, because I would have been using this stuff a long time ago.

How It Works

So, we pour hydrogen peroxide into our water, which gives a slight reading of EC or electrical current/conductivity, so that needs taking into account.

The H2O2 is very unstable in its current form and quickly breaks down once in the nutrient solution. Essentially, within a short space of time it’s present only in its component form, and in reaching this form it releases a single oxygen atom. This oxygen atom is ultra-reactive as well as aggressive. It’s looking for a fight, but instead of looking to cause problems, it’s actually on your team.

So the unstable single oxygen atom sets off, looking for mischief to make. If it comes across another oxygen atom, it attaches itself to the other atom, forming a larger, more stable oxygen molecule, or ion. This gets taken in by the plant through the roots and benefits growth above as well as within the root zone.

If, however, the rambunctious oxygen atom comes across an organic molecule, such as a virus or fungal spore, as it waxes and wanes through your nutrient solution, it will attach itself to the pathogen and quite literally oxidize itself, as well as whatever organism it had attached itself to.

And this stuff actually works!

So, what this means is not only does H2O2 supply the nutrients (and indirectly, the plants) with a massive boost of pure oxygen ions, it will play a huge part in keeping your reservoir fresh, highly oxygenated, and free from organisms such as Pythium, Fusarium, and mould, as well as a plethora of other nasties we encounter daily as hydroponic growers.

Not only that, but when the crop comes down there is no better cleaning agent to use (albeit in higher concentrations) than hydrogen peroxide. Not only will it clean as effectively as bleach but, as explained earlier, it attaches itself to other organic micro bad guys, and oxidizes them into nothingness. They simply cease to exist, leaving your grow room clean, sterile, and ready for the next crop.

Safety First

With this in mind it’s worth mentioning that your hands are also “organic organisms,” so its worth reading the safety data sheet, which any good hydroponic shop will be able to supply with the aggressive liquids they sell, as well as getting some gloves and goggles.

Speaking of goggles, I could tell you a nightmare about a grower who left a pipette full of 81 per cent nitric acid hanging out the top of the bottle, only to catch it with his sleeve, sending it airborne and filling the surrounding environment with microscopic droplets of industrial grade nitric acid at the perfect altitude and vector to land in someone’s eyes. If you think safe, handling these ultra nasty liquids becomes a whole lot easier.

But I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “Cleaning is for girlies!” and “What does it do for the plants?”

Right?

O2

If it even needed saying, a fresh and regular exposure to pure oxygen will work wonders in how your plants look and “feel.” Oxygen invigorates, it heals, it’s present (and necessary) in every living form, and plants just can’t get enough of it.

With lots of oxygen available, nutrient uptake is massively boosted, and if the plant’s getting the nutrients, it will use them. Also, this extra nutrient, along with a blast of oxygen, is going to increase the production of proteins at cell level across the board, especially if the plant is getting plenty of CO2 (the carbon source the plants use to actually “build” themselves). This means thicker, stronger stems with shorter internodal spacing, as well as lush, deep-green healthy foliage. Which makes it also better equipped to handle the complicated conversions as a result of the photosynthetic processes the plant carries out in the creation of the sugars and starch’s necessary to feed it.

As a result of this mad growth, your plants will supply readily the smaller side branches necessary to facilitate a productive run of cuttings.

So, no matter what your chosen growing method is, get some hydrogen peroxide in the grow room. Whether used for oxygenation or for pathogen destruction and prevention, or as a cleaning agent, H2O2 fills all these roles and more, with aplomb.

It’s worth mentioning at this stage that science lessons were never really my strong point in that dim and distant memory which is my school days. I hardly attended any of them, for one thing. Happiest days of your life?

The facts of the matter as I see them are as follows: why on earth would I spend good money on nurturing a healthy and active micro-herd in the root zone and then set about pouring hydrogen peroxide over them? It’s corrosive, and it makes your hair go white!

So I set about finding out the reason, and what I found was like an epiphany of enlightenment. It also made me wish I had paid more attention during my previously mentioned science lessons, because I would have been using this stuff a long time ago.

P

phoenix

nice read bro.Thanks for posting.

one thing,i'd never get my h2o2 from a grow shop.Hydrogarden 1ltr h2o2 £17,

1 ltr from a hairdressing suppliers,bout a £5 er.And when u buy it it may come as 5,17,35 % so make sure your aware of which product your using and what ratio to use it at.

apparently your ok with hygrozyme with h2o2,but its expensive.

nb,it will turn your skin white and make it bubble with even only minor contact,so if your new listen to the fella when he says be carefull.Goggles are no bad idea either.

F

frenchfarmer

nice post but it seems like u paste it two times???.... or what....

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I tried to clean it up a little , I think I got it all cohesive now...lol

Big up Reef!!!

Excellent contribution, your an excellent teacher, nice style as always

Tex

A

afghanica

I'm a big fan of peroxide.
It's great for accelerating the rooting process in clones. Roots love it.
It keeps fungus and algae at bay. And nasty bugs like fungus gnats.
I grow in coco and add it to every feeding. About 5 ml of 3% peroxide to every litre.
And if you manage to overwater a house plant, and the roots are drowning in a soggy mess, just flush with a hydrogen peroxide solution and it will deliver loads of oxygen to the root zone and keep your begonia or whatever alive and kicking.

K

keyplay

Yeah, This is like walking the plank...

Reeferman! I don 't dispute what you say, bro. But I've spent 5 weeks using spore based inoculants, beneficials, subculture, and so on. I have no pests and no mold. What would be a safe rate per 50 gallon rez? maybe 1 ml per
gallon.
My nightmare would be endangering my microherds, because then the molds and pests come creeping in.

Very interesting post!!! You would be surprised at how many Bay Area so called "old school" growers :tmi who treat Hydrogen Peroxide like it is battery acid without a place in the garden.

Aligee

Aligee

Picked up a gallon from my local hydro shop sold by name brand MAD FARMER 35% h2O2 thanks for the info Reef.......

Aligee

Aligee

Well ive been researching on the net about h2o2 and so far i am impressed i wonder why no one talks about using this in there garden as its a source of oxygen for the roots which in my opinion is a must for hydroponic growing i think i found the solution to all my growing needs interesting product with limited availability in my area and possible the next product to be banned by our government i strongly recommend everyone to read up on the benefits of this ... Now i will resume growing in dwc buckets that ive missed since switching over to coco because of high summer temps here in cali this is def the cure all for hydro it seems anyone have any experience with this? Anyone?

T

TheNman

if you're not using peroxide in hydro, you're just shooting yourself in the foot!(or i guess bud in this case)
h2o2 is useful at every stage of development, in every medium, indoors and out.
cleaning your tables, rez, hoses, etc, with a high concentration solution is DEFINITELY recommended over using bleach, to sterilize.
i never even knew anyone thought NOT to use it!

but, like the poster and others have mentioned, it WILL fuck up your skin, so take precautions!
;d

Aligee

Aligee

Yeah itll burn ya alright , so Nman how long have you been using h2o2? Are you using more than 1ml per gal. in hydro solution ? have you ever experienced any negative effects? Just curious always trying to learn ya know thanks for the response bra!

L

lovelightpower

i've just started using h2o2 and i think it's great. works brilliantly.
i don't think it would do in the microherd, in fact my plants look like their getting more nutients now. :)

Aligee

Aligee

Right on wonder if Reef will jump in with some more input i like to hear from all yall Farmers on this oxygen is def a good thang !

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Yeah itll burn ya alright , so Nman how long have you been using h2o2? Are you using more than 1ml per gal. in hydro solution ? have you ever experienced any negative effects? Just curious always trying to learn ya know thanks for the response bra!

I grow in hydro only, use Technaflora RFS series of nutes and currently have 7 resvs. running so I do have a decent understanding of my nutes and how the act and or react in the resvs.

Back about a year ago I was at the hydro store chatting with my buddies there and they sold me on the idea of H2O2. Bought a gallon of 35% and came home and started researching researching researching. Finally decided on what the girls had said of useing 1ml/gl in just one of the resvs as a test run. Within a couple of days I had this freaking slimy growth covering every darn thing, hoses, pumps, air stone was clogged. Was a WTF kinda deal so I dumped the crap out and scrubbed it clean. H2O2 has and never will be in my resvs. again. Am sure it's something I did wrong cause I have never heard of anyone else having this problem.

I buy it buy the case these days LOL. I use it as a cleaning agent and it is the shitz!!! Soak some hydroton in it at 15 ml per gallon and you'll never buy bleach again. The other use for it is during the flush at a rate of 10ml/gl. I flush drain to waste 3x daily for 7 days and the first flush is with H2O2 the other 2 are R/O water only. Each flush cycle I let the pots sit for 30 minutes and after harvest the rocks are darn near clean enough to use then.

Wish I knew what went wrong when I ran it in my resvs. but for now it's just gonna be a flushing and cleaning agent. Just notes from my experiences with it, hope you have better luck than I did.

jj

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
I use it myself in a soiless type grow in addition to the regular ferts at a rate of 1 1/2 TBS per gallon (regular 3% solution found at supermarkets) at every feeding. It makes the root system go crazy...big thick white roots. However, as I grow with a blend of chemical/organic ferts, I'm not trying to foster any kind of beneficial microherd. The organic ferts have already been broken down into usable elements either by the manufacturer or by myself by doing a composted aerated tea. I'm not so sure that those that are growing 100% organic would benefit as hydrogen peroxide would indeed kill off the beneficial organisms as well as the bad ones, no? Organic feeds like guanos for example need to be broken down by these tiny critters to make any of their nutrients available to the plant (hence the aerated teas). Micorhizzaes would be killed off by peroxide. I could be wrong...please educate me if you think I am. As far as Hygrozyme goes, it would work with peroxide as there are no living organisms in it.
Great thread Reeferman.

Top Bottom