The first grow of Ferritus

• Thread starter Ferritus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ferritus

Ferritus

LST Round 2:

Before I get into this post, I want to stop and say a big thank-you to FourthCity for showing me what I was supposed to be doing and for catching my mistake so quickly, before it became worse. Hopefully, that will be the biggest mistake I make in this grow and the rest of it will be smooth sailing.

I took the plants out today, wiped the inside of the cabinet, tried again at LST, and rearranged where the plants sit. I also added the power bloom nutrients to the pots.

Here's the plants:

IMG 0719

IMG 0720

IMG 0723

IMG 0728

Here's where I did LST. I didn't do much of it this time, because I am still being cautious after yesterday. I also don't think they needed too much of it right now, because everything (to newbie me) looks like it's basically even.

IMG 0721

IMG 0726

FourthCity

FourthCity

LST Round 2:

Before I get into this post, I want to stop and say a big thank-you to FourthCity for showing me what I was supposed to be doing and for catching my mistake so quickly, before it became worse. Hopefully, that will be the biggest mistake I make in this grow and the rest of it will be smooth sailing.

I took the plants out today, wiped the inside of the cabinet, tried again at LST, and rearranged where the plants sit. I also added the power bloom nutrients to the pots.

Here's the plants:

View attachment 998030

View attachment 998031

View attachment 998033

View attachment 998035

Here's where I did LST. I didn't do much of it this time, because I am still being cautious after yesterday. I also don't think they needed too much of it right now, because everything (to newbie me) looks like it's basically even.

View attachment 998032

View attachment 998034
Looks like you got the right idea now, awesome! What you are doing is fine so this suggestion is more of a tweak but you can cut some small holes in the top of your bags (above the stitched seam) and use them to tie the branches down with twine. I like using twine because its gentle on the branches and I can also use a knot that allows me to adjust the length without untying all the time.

I would hold off on the bloom booster for at least another month, or until you actually have some sizable buds. Even then it wont really be that useful and could possibly cause more harm than good. Maybe @Aquaman can give you some nutrient regimen suggestions, soil is not really my wheelhouse but the plants don't really look to me like they are asking for anything that they weren't already getting.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Looks like you got the right idea now, awesome! What you are doing is fine so this suggestion is more of a tweak but you can cut some small holes in the top of your bags (above the stitched seam) and use them to tie the branches down with twine. I like using twine because its gentle on the branches and I can also use a knot that allows me to adjust the length without untying all the time.

I would hold off on the bloom booster for at least another month, or until you actually have some sizable buds. Even then it wont really be that useful and could possibly cause more harm than good. Maybe @Aquaman can give you some nutrient regimen suggestions, soil is not really my wheelhouse but the plants don't really look to me like they are asking for anything that they weren't already getting.

Will definitely stab some holes in the sides of the bags when the lights kick back on.

The instructions called for 2 tablespoons (which is 30 ml) per pot, but that just seemed like...alot. I ended up putting in 1 teaspoon (5ml) per pot , because I was worried about overwhelming the plants with too many/excess nutrients. I will hold off adding more until there are at least some buds. PDF did say power bloom was optional, not necessary, and that the soil has everything the plants needs to complete the grow.

PDF also provided a bunch of ways to add nutrients/ boost the soil organically.

1) Lactic acid bacteria or Lactobacillus. A recipe is also provided.
2) Bokashi
3) Aloe
4) Coconut water
5) Silica
6) Seed sprout tea
7) Compost tea
8) Malted Barley as a top dressing
9) Earthworm castings (This is an ingredient in the soil already, but it was also listed).
10) Organic, unsulphured molasses diluted with water.

I have not and do not plan to use any of those suggestions on this grow. As this is my first grow, I want to see what happens if I just grow the plants with what was provided to me in the kit-which was the power bloom and a bag of living soil. In future grows, I can use this grow as my default/baseline and then when I experiment with soil add-ins, I'll have something to compare it to.

Ferritus

Ferritus

It's been a while.
Been mad busy with work and my course, so no photos, but an update while I have a moment.

Plants have finished their stretch just about. The stretch was crazy, I have done a lot of LST to keep them from hitting the lights-but we knew that was going to happen and overall I've handled it well. I really enjoyed the time I spent getting the canopy right, and watching the plants grow. I liked spending the time getting it right, The box has been fun.

Meanwhile, Citizen Smith has kicked into flower and loves life on the deck.

Ferritus

Ferritus

OK, SO
Now that it's not so batshit crazy, an update.

LST continues somewhat. I saw a post here about someone using pipe cleaners.

F&^%$#@ genius. Easier to control, much easier to see (as a side note, growing weed has made me wonder if I have problems perceiving certain colours) and who doesn't like colour coding?

IMG 1023

I ended up taking the SCROG net out because it was causing me problems. I was using white string, and eventually I had so many things tied down, and so much white, I couldn't really tell what was tied down to what, or where..or how. Getting rid of SCROG, retying plants and putting them back was about 1.5 hours, but so satisfying when it was done.

What else...

My mistakes:

1) This
IMG 1020

I bent this poor girl a little too hard and I almost snapped it. Was worried that it was just going to die, but she made a full recovery. I always thought cannabis plants were super fragile, but they seem pretty resilient. Still, not a mistake I want to repeat.

2) One of the plants (the one with the orange ties) I have named Icarus, for obvious reasons. This bummed me out a bit. I was pretty vigilant about watching and tending the plants during their stretch..but Icarus tried at least 3 times to touch the "sun", and the last attempt she did it. I knew growing in a box that this would be a possibility, and I guess I'm glad that this was the only one that got roasted. The rest of the buds are excellent, thankfully, and this one was quite small to begin with. Tied it down and now it's about 13-14 inches away from the panel, where it should be. A good lesson.

IMG 1027

3) Reflections on LST: I think that, going forward with the box, I will have to train a bit earlier and more aggressively- but knowing that I am excited to start another grow with either God Bud or Bubba Kush and apply what I've learned this time. I've still done well with LST overall, but I can see where I could have acted earlier or more aggressively with it. But hey, that's ok, because the plants are still healthy and budding. Here's another photo of LST that I did, which I was pretty happy with.

IMG 1016

This is the best photo I could get of the canopy. It's kind of hard to get canopy pics in the box, but I think I've managed it pretty well, aside from the Icarus incident.

IMG 1024

The one bud on the left that is above the canopy has been tied down, but I wanted to include it to give an idea of where things are sitting. I'm trying to keep everything no higher than the air filter on the right, but sometimes that isn't possible. Closest bud is I think about 10 inches from the light, and I was shooting for 12-18. So not bad, but could be better.

Here's some photos of my more successful/mature buds. 2 of the plants have been developing faster than the other 2 (been like that since the beginning, so not worried), but they're not far behind.

IMG 1013

IMG 1012

Citizen Smith continues to do well on the balcony. Was a bit windy when I took this photo

IMG 1026 2

Still committed to seeing this grow through in the box and not sticking them on my balcony. It's a fair amount of work but very enjoyable. The challenge of growing in a box is good fun!

IMG 1025
Ferritus

Ferritus

Hello Farm people,

Not much to update everyone on, because the plants have basically been in a maintenance period. I've included photos at the bottom of the post. They're not the greatest photos but I think the plants look excellent! 3 of them I will harvest on the 9th. The 4th plant is a bit behind and needs perhaps another week. I'm also going to bring Citizen Smith, the outdoor plant, into the box when I've removed 3 plants. I'll include a photo of Smith later.

Currently thinking about soil.

This is the stuff I used for this grow, it came with the grow box: http://www.gaiagreen.com/product-pa...bVkNKPwmPS5AbNMq4pU2NYE0ov4Dzk8l-TiPJZHqFB1Lc

However, if I want to use this again, I have to pay $25.00 shipping-which I will do if needed, but I've been trying to find a local source of soil. So I called all the gardening centres around here and they recommended this product to me:

I notice it has some of the same ingredients, but it is missing the worm casing and bone meal and a few other things. I've been reading old threads about soil, and I *think* this would be an appropriate alternative to the Gaia Green, but thought I would ask for a second opinion. The person on the other end of the phone didn't seem exactly confident about their reccomendation, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

IMG 1194
IMG 1196
IMG 1201
IMG 1202
IMG 1206
IMG 1207
IMG 1209

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Hello Farm people,

Not much to update everyone on, because the plants have basically been in a maintenance period. I've included photos at the bottom of the post. They're not the greatest photos but I think the plants look excellent! 3 of them I will harvest on the 9th. The 4th plant is a bit behind and needs perhaps another week. I'm also going to bring Citizen Smith, the outdoor plant, into the box when I've removed 3 plants. I'll include a photo of Smith later.

Currently thinking about soil.

This is the stuff I used for this grow, it came with the grow box: http://www.gaiagreen.com/product-pa...bVkNKPwmPS5AbNMq4pU2NYE0ov4Dzk8l-TiPJZHqFB1Lc

However, if I want to use this again, I have to pay $25.00 shipping-which I will do if needed, but I've been trying to find a local source of soil. So I called all the gardening centres around here and they recommended this product to me:

I notice it has some of the same ingredients, but it is missing the worm casing and bone meal and a few other things. I've been reading old threads about soil, and I *think* this would be an appropriate alternative to the Gaia Green, but thought I would ask for a second opinion. The person on the other end of the phone didn't seem exactly confident about their reccomendation, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

View attachment 1025685View attachment 1025686View attachment 1025687View attachment 1025688View attachment 1025689View attachment 1025690View attachment 1025691
There are no hydro stores around that sell ocean forest or something?

Btw, the plants look great!

Ferritus

Ferritus

There are no hydro stores around that sell ocean forest or something?

Btw, the plants look great!

Thank you!

Alas, there are no hydro stores anywhere. I live in a rural town (Less than 1000 people here, and under 5000 in the next town over), so there ain't much of anything. The nearest hydro store to me is a 3 hour drive into another province- and for me to even buy this alternative soil is a 2 hour drive, but still in the same province. I've called everywhere within a 2 hour radius of me looking for Gaia green or Ocean Forest, and didn't find it.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Thank you!

Alas, there are no hydro stores anywhere. I live in a rural town (Less than 1000 people here, and under 5000 in the next town over), so there ain't much of anything. The nearest hydro store to me is a 3 hour drive into another province- and for me to even buy this alternative soil is a 2 hour drive, but still in the same province. I've called everywhere within a 2 hour radius of me looking for Gaia green or Ocean Forest, and didn't find it.
Bummer. That product listing does not give me much to go on, but if there are no extended release nutrients then I guess it would probably be okay? I'd mix in perlite and probably worm castings myself, but tbh I only use soil as a base and have the plant in coco mostly (coco top layer soil bottom layer basically) so my needs are different. Impossible for me to say how much phosphorous is in there, that's what the bone meal is really good for but it needs a lot of time to get broken down in soil hence not the best to just amend yourself in this setup (I think, I am by no means an expert here).

Ferritus

Ferritus

Bummer. That product listing does not give me much to go on, but if there are no extended release nutrients then I guess it would probably be okay? I'd mix in perlite and probably worm castings myself, but tbh I only use soil as a base and have the plant in coco mostly (coco top layer soil bottom layer basically) so my needs are different. Impossible for me to say how much phosphorous is in there, that's what the bone meal is really good for but it needs a lot of time to get broken down in soil hence not the best to just amend yourself in this setup (I think, I am by no means an expert here).

I called to ask about the contents of the nursery land soil and they confirmed that what is listed on the site is its ingredients, and there is nothing more to it. The lack of bone meal and casings was what set me off wondering if this other soil would be good, or if I just suck it up and pay for the shipping.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I called to ask about the contents of the nursery land soil and they confirmed that what is listed on the site is its ingredients, and there is nothing more to it. The lack of bone meal and casings was what set me off wondering if this other soil would be good, or if I just suck it up and pay for the shipping.
Yeah, it's just this part that makes me wonder:
Screenshot 20200904 113207

What does that mean? It could mean almost anything.

If you have a way to supplement if it's lacking something, it's probably fine. I'd add perlite no matter what though.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Yeah, it's just this part that makes me wonder: View attachment 1025726
What does that mean? It could mean almost anything.

If you have a way to supplement if it's lacking something, it's probably fine. I'd add perlite no matter what though.

This was also a question I had. The salesperson told me it had "natural microbes"??? I mean what....is that?

I'd likely buy a 45 L, or two 20 L if they don't have the 45 L.

So if I wanted to use this soil and add stuff to it...any idea how much perlite and/or other substances I would need to add? I'm looking into this now in the threads about soil, but haven't quite found the info I want yet.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
This was also a question I had. The salesperson told me it had "natural microbes"??? I mean what....is that?

I'd likely buy a 45 L, or two 20 L if they don't have the 45 L.

So if I wanted to use this soil and add stuff to it...any idea how much perlite and/or other substances I would need to add? I'm looking into this now in the threads about soil, but haven't quite found the info I want yet.
Okay, microbes are good in this context probably.

I'm just not a soil grower really, but spitballing I go about ten percent perlite then another handful (not heaping), lol.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Okay, microbes are good in this context probably.

I'm just not a soil grower really, but spitballing I go about ten percent perlite then another handful (not heaping), lol.

I'm also thinking that if I use this soil, I will also just add the worm castings and bone/blood meal along with perlite.

Need to do more research on this. I'm sure it's not nearly as complicated as I think it is, but I've never "made" my own soil, so back to reading lol.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Ferritus

Ferritus

Shout out to my brother for saving the day!

He's coming to visit me from his city, and he is bringing with him:

1) 2 big ol' bags of the Gaia Green living soil.
2) 2 jars of the Gaia Green Powerbloom.
3) My feminized seeds! ( 5 each of Cheese, Bubba Kush, White Rhino, and Blue Cookies).

God bless his existence.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Shout out to my brother for saving the day!

He's coming to visit me from his city, and he is bringing with him:

1) 2 big ol' bags of the Gaia Green living soil.
2) 2 jars of the Gaia Green Powerbloom.
3) My feminized seeds! ( 5 each of Cheese, Bubba Kush, White Rhino, and Blue Cookies).

God bless his existence.
Yooooo that is awesome!

Ferritus

Ferritus

The harvest has happened!!

IMG 1245

There's another set of these in another closet, which are not pictured. Closet was the darkest space, relatively open and it is dry AF where I am.The pipe cleaners are colour coded so I know how much will come from which plant. Bonus, it also makes them easy to attach to the clothes hangers.

Meanwhile, Citizen Smith (CS) is now occupying the stealth box. I wanted to leave CS outside a bit longer, until the end of September at least , but there's an insane amount of smoke that has drifted up from the States and I didn't want CS outside in that.

IMG 1249
IMG 1250
IMG 1251

The new seeds and living soil are here. When we bought the grow box, it came with a free pack of seeds from Crop King, and a catalogue for this place called "Rocket Seeds". It's based out of Vancouver and they sell seeds from a few different companies. I chose Bubba Kush, Exodus Cheese, White Rhino, and Blue Cookies. I couldn't find anywhere else that seemed like a reliable source, and I mean the catalogue did come with the box, they made it easy, so might as well try it.

IMG 1247

Was quite pleased to see I got a bonus seed of Exodus Cheese!

IMG 1248

Tonight, I am going to sprout the Bubba Kush seeds.

Top Bottom