The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
epitome

epitome

Thai stick mmmmmmmm.....I haven't been high enough...OG and Lemony stuff is starting to get boring....the cookie has been an interesting journey but eh, cookie dough is bland like when people say strawberry or chocolate or peach or cherry unless it's a perfectly ripe those, to me are mild flavors that are not as exciting to me as flavors like the spicey ones like pepper, cinnamon, anise, lavender and whatever herbal terpenes responsible for that baby diarrhea smell.....fuck those smells usually co respond to very potent highs haha we need a new standard of potency then OG's...watered down or not the name OG does not co respond with potency like it used too lol there some decent diesels that are potent but they same to be falling short also I mean atleast from colorado dispensarys product hehe ....I want to try the heart pounding Cinderella 99 I've heard about...some trippy head wrecker shit is in order....suppose ably WhiteSlipper supposed to be the Epitome of sativa but I was not impressed with the quad I took to the dome.....maybe I'm an eternal pothead pessimist who's never happy with the sizzle.....I want a fucking FILET MiGNOn of Cannabis.....maybe a little humble haze would do me some good but I think I'll need that vIA True Live Resin

Minitiger

Minitiger

IMHO i dont thonk hashplant has anything to do with OG in any sense of the word.....not even in the same relm as OG.....Any og that i have ever seen is stretchy sativa like.....hashplant is dense with not much flower but mad Trichs pretty much to the tip of the leaves.....og are usually tight nugs that are frosty but ......very low yeild.....all hashplant I've seen is hella leafy....no og...OG is a hybrid of stretchy Sattie with nug features of and Indy....the reality is once all genetics have been catalogued we will be able to find out exactly where she comes from....but Hashplant....probably not

Yeah, a true Hashplant is absolutely nothing like a true OG. But you have to remember that this was 92/93 in bumfuck Florida. Name's were being slapped on everything. I'm certain (and was certain back then, too) that people were just calling any kind bud they were selling whatever bud was being featured in that month's issue of fucking High Times. Can't tell you how many eighths of "G13" I got that looked totally different from one another. "Northern Lights, Hashplant, G13, Skunk," everybody called anything hella kind whatever the popular name was that month.

However, the "Hashplant" I got from Land o Lakes was absolutely a precursor to or the mother of the strains y'all are wondering about in this thread. It was always the same, from the same grower and we'd get our grip and then have to wait another three months for it. People just said shit back then, there wasn't any internet or anything. Fucking High Times was about the only source for any info re: good weed. But I've lived in LA for a long time and there are definitely strains I come across (mostly Triangle and The White-related strains) that remind me of being in Tampa (which is unfortunate, cuz I fucking hate Florida hahaha!!!).

Again, not trying to act like I'm an authority, but I do have an idiot savant-like ability to remember all kinds of strains I've smoked. Herb and college football, those two things I remember with total clarity. Everything else...??? Psssshhhhh, forget it. I can't even remember yesterday haha.

Supafunk

Supafunk

It's always a pleasure to read a well written piece, packed with information. Thank you @HEMPxxx

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

This may be pure bs but this is how I believe it happened:

There was a grower in afghanistan growing hash plant in the 60's

There was a grower in Thailand growing a lemony sativa in the 60's

Seeds from batches from each of these growers made it into the hands of hippies that moved to northern california

The cross of those two is what became known as the dog bud aka the kind. Distributed to many people on the grateful dead tour.

Frank Gegax obtained seeds of the dog bud and had a large operation that produced the Krytonite
(Hashplant x Lemon Thai x Afghan)

Multiple Krippy batches were sent to southern florida as well as many other places.

Triangle Kush was born as a seed from the Krippy to the Cornbread Ricky Family.

Kush aka OG Kush was born as a seed from the Krippy to Matt Bubba in Miami. He moved to Gainesville then moved to Silver Lake CA where Josh got the cut.

That Kush was passed to orgnkid, ograskal, swerve, ghost, tahoe, SFV, Larry's, Hells Angel's and many others

Ok, here we go...

Your story seems largely right, except for the fact that gegax was in touch with deadheads or started a massive grow with a few bag seeds of dog bud.

Frank Gegax owned a construction company.
His brother owned two farms.
His parter, Richard Yerger and his son were from SoCal.
Gegax lived in arizona, right across from mexico.
Being in the construction and farming business and drug trade in the southwest US you'd think they'd be around more mexicans in arizona than hippies...

This is right after the era when europeans were trading cartels dutch genetics for cocaine and information on cocaine processing, and mexican "super weed" was just making the scene. Most all of it flooding through cali, arizona, or texas.

I believe gegax was working mexican genetics that had recently been crossed with high-performing dutch genetics, and had a great stable and lots of space to begin refining his own breeding. There are also multiple news articles mentioning the extent of his circle, with contacts and grows in LA as well as contacts in New York.

So when Gegax's circle was popped in 1990, all the great herb he produced disappeared. And the people were left with nothing but seeds to remember it by. So the seeds were popped, lineages were refined, and now we see Chem from the west coast, OG from florida, and Sour Diesel on the east coast, all with similar growth characteristics and similar fuel-based smells.

The "Dog Bud" and chem may not be from gegax directly, but it's obvious that crew was working with an identical genetic stock as gegax, presumably the most accessible seeds at the time, which was the mexican/dutch hybrid.

We have people like gegax to thank for being there after the cocaine craze, when the cartels were playing breeder and killing the game. It's people like gegax that refined those genetics into the gems we see today.

coloradoBTC

coloradoBTC

Chemdawg d fireog
Chemdog "D" crossed with Fire OG

coloradoBTC

coloradoBTC

Does it always foxtail like that or is that grower error. Besides the foxtail it looks pretty good
12/12 from seed, found out it was a girl, chopped off its head for a clone. this probably stunted these two buds

Well I may be close to the original skunk info. My homie who's parent grew tons back in the day is claiming to have grown the original "p funk" and soon a very important pow from the my war will be released and I am anxiously awaiting his input on all of this. The people who created p funk claim a Thai that was grown outdoors in montana and saved before the frost, I really think this is a possible precursor to chemdog and og. I will let everyone know what I find.
@sanvanalona

Not sure if this will reach you but would like to hear what youve found in regards to the PFunk...

I was given a clone of this in 2009 through a partnership with a dude here as a Cali transplant in Michigan. He called it P Funk and labeled it as such on his own plants too. This Cali guy was here with his Cali bros but we were his new side venture with us 2 from MI.

Outside of us and his Cali bros, he called it Chemdog and we were told to as well. The P Funk title was supposed to be kept private, and never leave the warehouse... we just thought it was another one of his little angles, salesmanship, bs to wow us little Michigan folk with his Cali canna king act... as that was always present... but that always is, from both sides...

So we only took the P Funk name half seriously, because in the early Michigan medical days, the name game got the sales... thought it was just some cute name of his.

Slow vegger, broad indica leaves, tight nodes and 2x stretch only. We ran 56 days. Chemmy nugs and prevalent smell and taste being peppery. Very loud.

Ive only smoked genuine Chemdog D and its not it. The peppery overtone is most similar to that ive tasted in the Deathstar clone.

It grew beautifully but not as vigorous to our amateur eyes as TGA's Jillybean and DNA's Tora Bora at the time(i know right). Battling pm and mites, they didnt bounce back as well as the above. We didnt know shit and said fuck it let it go its just chemdog, we can find it again if we really want it that bad. LOL...

I dont know what the p funk actually was, but its never looked like any of the different chem cuts online.

We were new growers, poor technique, poor judgement... we've culled/scrapped/let die so many goodies thinking better was just beyond the horizon, but im just chasing ghosts now, have regrettably or accidentally let go P funk, Sour Slut, Purple Kush, Super Snowdog, Tora Bora, Casey Jones, so many more fuck...

In the moment, you think you know, you think youre so sure, but later... youre amazed how you couldve ever come to those conclusions lol! Learning and growing... i rambled a bit but you really brought back some memories with that name!

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

@sanvanalona

Not sure if this will reach you but would like to hear what youve found in regards to the PFunk...

I was given a clone of this in 2009 through a partnership with a dude here as a Cali transplant in Michigan. He called it P Funk and labeled it as such on his own plants too. This Cali guy was here with his Cali bros but we were his new side venture with us 2 from MI.

Outside of us and his Cali bros, he called it Chemdog and we were told to as well. The P Funk title was supposed to be kept private, and never leave the warehouse... we just thought it was another one of his little angles, salesmanship, bs to wow us little Michigan folk with his Cali canna king act... as that was always present... but that always is, from both sides...

So we only took the P Funk name half seriously, because in the early Michigan medical days, the name game got the sales... thought it was just some cute name of his.

Slow vegger, broad indica leaves, tight nodes and 2x stretch only. We ran 56 days. Chemmy nugs and prevalent smell and taste being peppery. Very loud.

Ive only smoked genuine Chemdog D and its not it. The peppery overtone is most similar to that ive tasted in the Deathstar clone.

It grew beautifully but not as vigorous to our amateur eyes as TGA's Jillybean and DNA's Tora Bora at the time(i know right). Battling pm and mites, they didnt bounce back as well as the above. We didnt know shit and said fuck it let it go its just chemdog, we can find it again if we really want it that bad. LOL...

I dont know what the p funk actually was, but its never looked like any of the different chem cuts online.

We were new growers, poor technique, poor judgement... we've culled/scrapped/let die so many goodies thinking better was just beyond the horizon, but im just chasing ghosts now, have regrettably or accidentally let go P funk, Sour Slut, Purple Kush, Super Snowdog, Tora Bora, Casey Jones, so many more fuck...

In the moment, you think you know, you think youre so sure, but later... youre amazed how you couldve ever come to those conclusions lol! Learning and growing... i rambled a bit but you really brought back some memories with that name!
Wow! What a story! So here is what I know about p funk: this strain was a pure roadkill skunk and that was completely the backbone to the original chem, most likely the bag that chem bought was either pbud or a direct relative of. The real skunk was being ran by a rasta crew out of Montana and they had their distribution hubs in Wyoming and Colorado, the p funk came from this crew. My buddies parents stated popping some seeds and one specific was a supposed "Thai" and they dubbed it pfunk. The Rastas ran the shit out of this cut and it was simply dubbed as skunk. Fast forward a decade and only 1 person I knew of had the cut and it was an s1, this s1 was so similar to Chemdog #4 but had a nicer color, my friend got his original seeds from one of the Rastas before they went down and was growing it for years, unfortunately he passed and all of his genetics went with him. I know the main rasta guy just got released last year, hopefully some real strain background can be brought to light by him.

colostoney

colostoney

well....rubs head?

four score and ten million lenos ago.......damn thats good weed......happened.....and we all are blessed.....

three cheers for the dank ass kush....I love you

the end

dankninja

dankninja

Ok so I'm just about done with my second run of this. and it Hermed. 4 other strains in there did not so I am done with anything chem related for a while.

they do that. gotta go through a ton o plants to find your non-hermie chem mother. sorry bout the bad luck, its not chem's fault

Last edited:
P

Pimples

So can someone lay down a summary? Spoilers please, i dont have time to listen to it all

FWIW a well connected homie of mine thats been in the game forever swears they were pulling OG "like" phenotypes outta different kush crosses in late 80's. Im curious to hear what the magic mix is
Og kush phenotypes were definitely being grown out underground in ALOT of operations around 1987 or there abouts. The lemony cleaner kerosene funkiness is not and never was exclusive. And the lanky golfballish structure of og kush types was not exclusive either. It was a smaller scene back then for sure. But them types of plants being popped in seed form were found occasionally in bigger lots. And to be honest...alot of growers i knew culled that structure type for lack of yield. In my opinion og kush happened at the rite time regardless of the bullshit stories - and nothing more. With the advent of forums and the popularity of indoor growing gaining momentum. Newer growers and smokers thinking og kush being unique....well it most certainly wasnt. The names and hype and flood of up and coming growers around that time and the internet ....very unique....hence...Og kush

Last edited:
P

Pimples

Hell...i remember my neighbors older brother back in '82 teaching us young shits how to play Dungeons and Dragons and showing off his high bay 400 halide gymnasium lamp garden. He had these "awesome Canadian and East Coast seeds". They were afghanis in origin (most but not all) and he named them from the smells. "This one here is gasoline bud. Over here we have Bubblegum. And this lanky gal is called lemon oil" etc...etc..etc...Point being...to old timey pot growers that know what time of day it is....Og kush is damn good...but certainly not an exclusive end all be all "strain" .

Last edited:
robomont

robomont

i agree,i tried og seeds from a dutch company,buds were nice but not my kinda high.im looking for the strongest headstone i can find.and im tired of fruit.ive done blueberry og and pineapple kush.i use to have alot of mexican stock but over the years.you know.so now im seeking out a full blown murderer.a real charles manson.

epitome

epitome

i agree,i tried og seeds from a dutch company,buds were nice but not my kinda high.im looking for the strongest headstone i can find.and im tired of fruit.ive done blueberry og and pineapple kush.i use to have alot of mexican stock but over the years.you know.so now im seeking out a full blown murderer.a real charles manson.
There's rumors of the real deal road kill, how true they are would probably take you about 4ish months to find out but worth it if you find a "swastikut" lol pun intended

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter

Please let me know when you find it please.

Top Bottom