The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
@lambs-bread from another site found another legit credible connection to OG Kush having Florida as a key role...

Fan:
What up B-real? I heard that you claim to be the one who brought the OG Kush to the west coast. Is this true? Ps. Smoking on some OG right now.
B-real:
I didn't bring OG to the west coast. It was brought by a guy named Matt Berger from Florida. It was called something else and we renamed it OG Kush. Every other story is bullshit, period.
http://interviewly.com/i/b-real-mar-2014-reddit

There was a small group of growers in Los Angeles who were growing OG and I was fortunate enough to be given a plant and brought into their circle. The story back then was that it came from a brother who brought it in from Florida.
From Todd McCormick, earlier in this thread
Lol pissing in the wind

B

BigP

Hey everyone. I'm a long time lurker of this site. Decided to sign up after reading through this insanely confusing thread. I hope I can clear some things up. I am a Los Angeles native. Still live here. I'm randomly connected to the original OG Kush crew out here in LA. Not even through dealings in the cannabis industry. I've heard the stories straight from Josh's mouth ( he is matts partner from way back when). This is the timeline on the OG kush cutting coming to be and finding it's home in Los Angeles.

1995/6 Matt buys a bag of "krippy" (slang for high grade in FL) that he finds a few seeds in, Miami. Pops them in Gainesville Florida. One pf those seeds is what will eventually be dubbed the OG Kush.

1997. Matt brings the cutting out to Josh in LA (silverlake specifically).

1997-1998 Josh and Matt run the cutting and start selling the cut for 5k a flat to eager growers. During this time they had formed a relationship with the soul assassin crew and sold weed to cypress hill. 500 an ounce all the way up. Always in glass jars. One of their friends mentioned the nugs looked like "kushberries" so they dubbed her "the kush". I also believe in this time orgnkid got the cut for 5k and a few pounds of weed. Can't be sure what the arrangements were but josh did give orgnkid the cutting.

1998/99. Due to the cut getting out and people not running her as well as the original crew, they began to call their product the "OG kush" to let buyers know they were getting the real deal from the guys who do it best. The rest is history.

This is how the story goes from those who were there living it. Any questions feel free to ask. I'll be by to check this thread out soon.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Hey everyone. I'm a long time lurker of this site. Decided to sign up after reading through this insanely confusing thread. I hope I can clear some things up. I am a Los Angeles native. Still live here. I'm randomly connected to the original OG Kush crew out here in LA. Not even through dealings in the cannabis industry. I've heard the stories straight from Josh's mouth ( he is matts partner from way back when). This is the timeline on the OG kush cutting coming to be and finding it's home in Los Angeles.

1995/6 Matt buys a bag of "krippy" (slang for high grade in FL) that he finds a few seeds in, Miami. Pops them in Gainesville Florida. One pf those seeds is what will eventually be dubbed the OG Kush.

1997. Matt brings the cutting out to Josh in LA (silverlake specifically).

1997-1998 Josh and Matt run the cutting and start selling the cut for 5k a flat to eager growers. During this time they had formed a relationship with the soul assassin crew and sold weed to cypress hill. 500 an ounce all the way up. Always in glass jars. One of their friends mentioned the nugs looked like "kushberries" so they dubbed her "the kush". I also believe in this time orgnkid got the cut for 5k and a few pounds of weed. Can't be sure what the arrangements were but josh did give orgnkid the cutting.

1998/99. Due to the cut getting out and people not running her as well as the original crew, they began to call their product the "OG kush" to let buyers know they were getting the real deal from the guys who do it best. The rest is history.

This is how the story goes from those who were there living it. Any questions feel free to ask. I'll be by to check this thread out soon.
Wrong that is the problem! breal renamed it from crippy cause he is a blood. Bloods are not allowed to use the letter C so he had to rename it. You're about 80% correct though. Nice work yung. Let's keep digging. Lol

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Speaking of Florida and krippy how is that guy krippy from Florida ?? When I met him at petfish house dude was 225 wearing pink crocks... Funny ass shit

HEMPxxx

HEMPxxx

The "Marijuana Mansion": http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1605-Stone-Canyon-Rd-Los-Angeles-CA-90077/20529483_zpid/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.drugs.busts/N1VRScr9q1E/kh---H235FQJ

The bunker with 6000+ plants he talked about getting raided in 1990, which mentions Frank Gegax (the head of the operation) by name at the end:

"Deputies also are looking for an Antelope Valley father and son in connection with the case. The son, identified as Richard F. Yerger, 28, was listed as the owner of the Lancaster-area site. Officials said his father, Richard E. Yerger, 60, may also be involved." ...aka "Uncle Dick" perhaps?

http://openjurist.org/77/f3d/491/united-states-v-e-yerger

Woah - it is really weird to see my 1997 case juxtaposed against that 1990 case with the bunkers in the desert. I was not even in California until 1992 and have nothing to do with Frank's operation nor did Dave have anything to do with Frank's operation. And for the record, let me repeat that David Richards has never met Frank Gegax, David's story is pure fiction. Frank's daughter told me that her father has never met David in his life and that David has no firsthand knowledge of anything that happened around her father. David is pulling fantasies out of newspaper articles and the fact that he knew Frank's other daughter and heard high school stories about the bust located not too far from the Palmdale/Lancaster area in which he was raised.

I like to point out that you guys are trying to make fact out of fiction in trying to figure out David's fairytale on Adams show and the pieces of the puzzle will not make sense because David Richards is lying about his involvement with Frank and that whole crew. The "Uncle Dick" that David refers to is Richard Cowan, former director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and my old friend since 1994. Richard was the reason I met Peter McWilliams, as it was his connection to William F Buckley Jr (of all people - you can read Buckley's obituary of his old friend Peter here: http://www.rense.com/general2/pm.htm ) who caused Peter and I to meet. Richard knew Buckely from his days at Yale and was living in Amsterdam and working at Positronics at the same time I was in 1996, Cowan moved back to California in 1997 for the opportunity of working with Peter Williams. Richard Cowan is known to his friends as "Dick Cowan". You can read Peter's obituary written by Richard Cowan here: http://www.petermcwilliams.org/page103.html

I know for certain that David Richards did not have O.G. Kush in his plant collection back in Amsterdam when he was working with Arjan, because Shantibaba delivered David's half of the living plants to me at Posi after he left Amsterdam. While in Amsterdam David was favoring a sweet smelling plant he called "Heavy-duty fruity" that had no reminiscence of OG Kush, in fact the term "O.G. Kush" was not in our lexicon while in Amsterdam – I never even heard that term until I got back to California and moved to Los Angeles.

When I arrived in California and started collecting strains in the winter of 1997, David brought me probably a dozen different clones, none of which was anything like the cutting I would later receive from my friends in Los Angeles and who called it "O.G. Kush". David never met that other group of friends and had nothing to do with OG. I understand why he would love to take credit for OG but – there is no nexus that I know of and I was there.

OG KUSH
EVOKE

EVOKE

I remember smoking OG kush back in the winter of 96 we called it Christmas kush aka Da Kind... my boys were buying it from LA (The Valley) from some ese dudes that were taxing us $350 a zip... i remember it had more of a Soapy taste to it back then.... I think when the cuts started to get released and people had different grow styles it changed the profile of OgKush... in mid 97 my friend told me he had paid 10k for a cut and was given a feed chart from his homie.... All i could really say is that OG Kush OriGinated in LA.... Love the Pic bro... Reminds me of that Old Girl.. @HEMPxxx

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
That's right the seeds is from 1991 and the cut reached L.A in 1996.

Now we know that the link that passed the cut to Todd Mccormick ain't related to Matt or Josh, and that those two guys are still alive today.

A friend of Matt's bro, called it "kush". Although none of them did have knowledge of the Kush mountains at the time, yet that they had cannabis there. According to Matt, the name came as a joke. The guy said "This look like Kush berries". I looked all over about Kush berries didn't find anything lol...

We also know that Breal and the crew named it OG to avoid confusion between the different kush floating in L.A area at that time. People used to ask for the kush, but were getting different buds. So they started to ask for the OriGinal Kush, then Original Gansta Kush.

Easy to imagine how it went for those guys. Hollywood stars, rappers, gangsters and many more, were paying top dollars for those buds.

Now the question is what were those buds Matt had that originated the seeds. There's a few theories that are possible. Won't speculate on that. Obviously some people are doing DNA testing, so we soon know.

When I arrived in California and started collecting strains in the winter of 1997, David brought me probably a dozen different clones, none of which was anything like the cutting I would later receive from my friends in Los Angeles and who called it "O.G. Kush". David never met that other group of friends and had nothing to do with OG. I understand why he would love to take credit for OG but – there is no nexus that I know of and I was there.

Thanks for taking the time to share some facts. You said that the guy from Florida who brought the cut to your connection, died in a ski accident around 2004, and thats why you guys thought it will be good to sahre the cut with the community.

The probleme is the guy that brought the cut from Florida to California in 1996, is not dead. Both ORGNKID and Breal can attest as well as Josh, his L.A friend. The guy name Matt Berger and you can find him online. So If by any chance you could talk to your connection about this, I will appreciate to hear whats whats on this matter.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

As soon as somebody talks about not knowing what "kush" is everything goes haywire. If you do not know what Kush is really the whole story is complete nonsense, Kush is one of the best known inbred seed lines known to mankind. Smh. I'm sure somebody wishes they could undo the "kushberry" story- what a fucking joke. Hilarious how this garbage gets published in magazines and books. Anybody who does not know what Hindu Kush is... is a rank amateur.

Last edited:
TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
As soon as somebody talks about not knowing what "kush" is everything goes haywire. If you do not know what Kush is really the whole story is complete nonsense, Kush is one of the best known inbred seed lines known to mankind. Smh. I'm sure somebody wishes they could undo the "kushberry" story- what a fucking joke. Hilarious how this garbage gets published in magazines and books. Anybody who does not know what Hindu Kush is... is a rank amateur.

Back in 1991/92, most of americans weed smokers didn't know what was Kush or where it was or what's it's all about. This story have to be placed back in her contexte and chronology. Even today some folks thinks Kush is something from L.A...

What's interesting is that the name came as a joke, because the guys were smokers but thats all. They had no particular knowledge about cannabis origins, landraces etc...

Now let's say that Matt has lied about how the cut got named. Then why liying to picture your self as a fool?

"I called it kush, cause I knew some of those strains came from the Kush mountains."
Every body will of said yes to that.

When people lie, it is often to protect their selves or to prentend they better than what they really are, like more knowledgeable etc... Here is not the case, as the fact that the name came as joke, picture them as people without knowledge of cannabis origins, which hurt their credibility more than anything.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

It's still my theory that the seeds Matt popped came out of a fire bag of TK. Pine tar kush is definitely something I feel is in the mix for sure. All speculation though. Wish the pine tar was still around.
Its still around. I have a buddy running it in Butte County.

I check in on this thread from time to time because I think it's hilarious that everyone is so obsessed with the HISTORY of OG Kush. Makes me wanna give OrgnKid a call and get his story on it....but in the end....what the hell does it matter? Unless you were there......you will never REALLY know. Just like the history of anything else in the world...stories get polluted as they get passed down.

B

BigP

Its still around. I have a buddy running it in Butte County.

I check in on this thread from time to time because I think it's hilarious that everyone is so obsessed with the HISTORY of OG Kush. Makes me wanna give OrgnKid a call and get his story on it....but in the end....what the hell does it matter? Unless you were there......you will never REALLY know. Just like the history of anything else in the world...stories get polluted as they get passed down.

Orgnkid has said his piece on the topic. He got his cut from Josh who is the first one to run the cut with Matt out here in LA around 95/96ish. She was around since 91 though.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Orgnkid has said his piece on the topic. He got his cut from Josh who is the first one to run the cut with Matt out here in LA around 95/96ish. She was around since 91 though.
My reply to you was to let you know that Pine Tar Kush is still around.......not to argue about the history of a plant.

Honestly, I don't really care about where the name or the strain came from.....I'm just glad I have a cut of it.

Stalks

Stalks

Orgnkid, Matt "bubba" bergner, and josh have all been talking and sharing stories on Instagram the past few weeks about the history of og and when reading the comments they seem to have the most legit story to its background and the spreading of the plant. look at @therealogkushstory on ig and go to the fist pic he posted then read the comments

Latest posts

Top Bottom