The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

I hear ya man. I'm from BC. We have our own deep cannabis history. Something about the west coast eh? 🤣

We had wild shit flying around in the 80s and 90s. A lot of well known genetics came out of BC. I just wish we could start back there, and try again. I'm not digging this "big purple titty fuck" (what I call those stupid named shit) strains we have flying around now.

I am growing white widow right now, cause it's one older ones I could get my mitts on lol. I'm thinking of going back to skunk #1. But from what I remember, I dont know if the filters can handle it 🤣 it was almost like burnt rubber.

PepeLePew

PepeLePew

Lot of stories, chats and thoughts going into the background story of this topic.

I believe from what I have now learned over the years that the "Emerald Triangle" cut from the Southern Oregon/Northern CA area in the eighties was the famous Dog Bud perhaps?? I have pieced this together because the 91 Chem was discovered a bit earlier than the Triangle Kush in the mid 90's right? So perhaps this "Dog bud" was in fact the Emerald Triangle cut was hit with skunk somehow to make Chemdog and the Emerald Triangle cut was accidently hit with Hindu Kush pollen down in Florida to create the OG Kush bagseed AKA Supernaut/Krypotnite? So in theory its could be this "Emerald Triangle" strain from the west coast that was the main donor to the genetic profile. I was thinking this because nobody has identified what the "Dog" bud was that pBud and JoeB bought. They named it the dog but I believe now it could have been that Emerald Triangle cut...... Anyways that's what I have been picking from all the BS. Dave R stories don't line up with the bunker grows and Frank Gigax said they were not breeding on the level as Dave claims they were......so that Adam Dunn story is kinda vague and full of smoke and mirrors

Judaz

Judaz

Nice share makes sense. Gonna look into this. I gotta say that the bunker story to me also did not make sense. While the other stuff from Matt does cause I have Credible sources Confirming it

Last edited:
S

SidNasty6613

I have the original Og cut and have back crossed it 13 times producing seeds and phenos almost identical to the original cut. I don’t sell seeds but willing to trade seeds for something unique from back in the day. If anyone is interested pm me. I’m in CA SFV (San Fernando Valley) or we can cross it with the original Og cut as well.
Ive got some mature, good-looking Durban Poison seeds if you havent collected any yet. I am currently hunting down any true landrace genetics i can get my hands on. I know its probably been done and being done by several others, but i want to make sure that wild, pure cannabis genetics are being preserved whenever and whereever possible. Hmu if youd like to trade a few

Judaz

Judaz

OG Kush is actually a sativa dominant hybrid that originated in California. Any old head knows.

So where in Ca was it originated and what year? Can you elaborate on the story to see if it fits with the timelines of things that can be proven. The origins are still where the mystery still lies and what were the crosses that made the strain. Those things are still unanswered questions

Last edited:
Judaz

Judaz

For a while now I’ve been thinking that there were many types of these Og kush like Cannabis going around in the early 90’s They were basically the results of the best indica x sativa crosses that were happening in the mid to late 80’s. I could remember this strain we called convalescent which was a purple afghani crossed the legendary Thai stick cuts. It was very similar to Og Kush almost like a phenotype you can say but with a hint of skunk to it. So it could be that many of the old og kush cuts could be products of similar crosses. That’s why everyone has a story and claims they were the ones with the original cut. They are a little different from each other

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

For a while now I’ve been thinking that there were many types of these Og kush like Cannabis going around in the early 90’s They were basically the results of the best indica x sativa crosses that were happening in the mid to late 80’s. I could remember this strain we called convalescent which was a purple afghani crossed the legendary Thai stick cuts. It was very similar to Og Kush almost like a phenotype you can say but with a hint of skunk to it. So it could be that many of the old og kush cuts could be products of similar crosses. That’s why everyone has a story and claims they were the ones with the original cut. They are a little different from each other
This would not surprise me, at one point I had my hands on most of the OG cuts going around Cali in the late 2000's, and for the most part they were all unique plants; though a few really looked and grew a lot like one another. I would also believe that over the 15 or so years it took for the OG craze to get into full swing that certain cuts of the same plant acclimated to the conditions they were grown in until those traits became stable in its genes as well as general genetic mutations that might have show up in one or two cuttings from the same mother plant.

Personally I always felt that OG Raskal's Fire cut was the original cut, in part because before all the other OG's showed up that was the one that was simply referred to as OG Kush. I also felt it was the best balance of the lemon, earthy and gassy flavors while most other cuts leaned toward one of those flavors more than the other. I also am inclined to believe the Tahoe cut dates back to the origins of OG Kush, whether it is a cut or a bag seed someone grew I am not too sure. It had a bit more lemony flavor than the Fire and seemed to grow with more sativa inspired, elongated flowers than most of the other cuts that grew very round buds. I know the SFV showed up one day and claimed to be the original, but I was never too sure on that, to me it always felt like a watered down version of some other OG cut. The Larry, the SAC cuts, the Poison and a few others did seem to show up after the craze had already taken hold. And then there is the Ghost cut, I had a friend with a mom of her but I never got to try any from that plant, nor can I say I ever had samples of her from other people so I have no first had experience with her. I address her separately because according to the story on the Adam Dunn Show, the Ghost is the original cut that Orgnkid put out into the world. But ultimately at this point I don't really care which is the real one, I would just like to get my hands back on one of those older cuts from the early to mid 2000's. Those knocked the socks off of most of the most of the OG varieties out there today. There are just too many and most are just a name for the sake of selling seeds.

MadSciNtst

MadSciNtst

I know I’m new here but....I take it the chance of finding originals is pretty much impossible. I get my seeds from thesingleseedcenter.com(if im
Not allowed to speak on other websites please let me know) So I’m not sure how pure or authentic their seeds are. As far as what you’re taking about, in the 90s I was a kid so This is like camp fire stories to me to hear. I don’t smoke but I just grow, it’s therapeutic for me but hearing what you guys talk about, I wish I could get my hands on some elite stuff

bathngodblud

bathngodblud

Yeah man so whether the dude claiming to have bred the original OG is lying or not regardless keep in mind that he didn’t make s1 or keep the lineage going strong. That’s why the OG name is a bit tarnished. 9/10 strains you see on the shelves at dispos aren’t OG it’s fake. A lot of kids after the hype would take whatever seed or cut they could find and cross it with that m39 shit. was like a 45 day finisher and call it “OG Kush”. I recently got out the pen so I’m not all up to date on what’s what completely yet but research the breeder who made Chemdog D famous and think about who his people were at the time. You’ll put the dots together.

bathngodblud

bathngodblud

So where in Ca was it originated and what year? Can you elaborate on the story to see if it fits with the timelines of things that can be proven. The origins are still where the mystery still lies and what were the crosses that made the strain. Those things are still unanswered questions

Man it had to have been some time between ‘96 and ‘99. Before y2k for sure. In Cali at least. I know the breeder got the strain from another breeder, made f2s, named the strain renamed the strain, and the word was that a certain gassy pheno was then later crossed with another pheno of chem x northern lights. Obviously there’s no real way to know and to be honest, that original kush shit was fire at the time for us but good OG phenos have given way to way better cultivars IMO

Edit- If you can still find LA Beatnik on seedsman and can hunt a good mom, those genetics are pretty proper. A buddy of mine at a local facility hunted a bad ass stud out of it and pollinated a Larry OG cut, the result was probably the closest thing I’ve seen to something similar since, say, Master Kush

Chester13

Chester13

I hear ya man. I'm from BC. We have our own deep cannabis history. Something about the west coast eh? 🤣

We had wild shit flying around in the 80s and 90s. A lot of well known genetics came out of BC. I just wish we could start back there, and try again. I'm not digging this "big purple titty fuck" (what I call those stupid named shit) strains we have flying around now.

I am growing white widow right now, cause it's one older ones I could get my mitts on lol. I'm thinking of going back to skunk #1. But from what I remember, I dont know if the filters can handle it 🤣 it was almost like burnt rubber.
Hey bro I'm from kelowna area and I've grown sensi's skunk #1 huge yields nice smoke but the smell is super fruity no real skunk smell at all. One that always good in my books is Durban poison. But I agree with you I feel the older strains are way better. Had great luck with csi gear, Humboldt gear, Barnes farm stuff. How's the real texada timewarp?. Jordan of the islands is always good, God bud is great

Chester13

Chester13

I have the original Og cut and have back crossed it 13 times producing seeds and phenos almost identical to the original cut. I don’t sell seeds but willing to trade seeds for something unique from back in the day. If anyone is interested pm me. I’m in CA SFV (San Fernando Valley) or we can cross it with the original Og cut as well.
So what is the real flowering time on this bitch if you dont mind.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

lmao, no you didn't. Cannabis is an obligate outcrosser just like humans and dogs, an F-13 would have literally ZERO vigor. Imagine inbreeding a human for 13 generations, that's what you'd get in cannabis.

BigCube

BigCube

Also, why would you think it's worth anything? It's just some old strain. It was never particularly awesome compared to what it came from or what came after. Or what was also around at the time. Or before.

In all honestly OG kush is one of the worst kush strains I've ever smoked.
I know that's subjective, but I cant be the only one. I get the idea of clinging on to "fame". Or trying to hold on to the last vestige of your youth, but the world has moved on. So has kush and cannabis in general. Very few of the old strains matter, and I can tell you with 100% honesty, OG kush isnt one of them.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Also, why would you think it's worth anything? It's just some old strain. It was never particularly awesome compared to what it came from or what came after. Or what was also around at the time. Or before.

In all honestly OG kush is one of the worst kush strains I've ever smoked.
I know that's subjective, but I cant be the only one. I get the idea of clinging on to "fame". Or trying to hold on to the last vestige of your youth, but the world has moved on. So has kush and cannabis in general. Very few of the old strains matter, and I can tell you with 100% honesty, OG kush isnt one of them.
You forgot to add ( “IMOP”) :)
Find me the road kill skunk, that might change your mind.
But..................Thats a hole different conversation.

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, there are a few old ones that are worth having. Or claiming you have anyways. For sure, IMO Og wasn't one of them lol.

Judaz

Judaz

So what is the real flowering time on this bitch if you dont mind.

it goes 58-63 days on avg but there has been times where I have even taken it to 70 days depending on the environment. If it gets a bit stressed in any way along the way you’re looking at 58 with white hairs withering faster than usual. But when it’s going and putting out plenty of white hairs during 7th and 8th week it will go to 70 days. I usually do 65

Evr1sFavKush

Evr1sFavKush

Man it had to have been some time between ‘96 and ‘99. Before y2k for sure. In Cali at least. I know the breeder got the strain from another breeder, made f2s, named the strain renamed the strain, and the word was that a certain gassy pheno was then later crossed with another pheno of chem x northern lights. Obviously there’s no real way to know and to be honest, that original kush shit was fire at the time for us but good OG phenos have given way to way better cultivars IMO

Edit- If you can still find LA Beatnik on seedsman and can hunt a good mom, those genetics are pretty proper. A buddy of mine at a local facility hunted a bad ass stud out of it and pollinated a Larry OG cut, the result was probably the closest thing I’ve seen to something similar since, say, Master Kush
I’m rocking some LA Beatnik I got as testers from seedjunky like a year or so ago. My #2 pheno is a Kush mints leaner and is straight killllll.

there were some meh phenos too but the good ones were really damn good. I was so happy with the tester pack I ran that I ended up buying my own pack so I can make f2s for myself and I just checked online looking for yet another pack (one tester got you me to purchase 2 packs, that’s pretty good lol). Shit is dank. Easily as good or better than any clone only I have. Pure fire. Can’t say it enough.

is your boy“weedsthepeople” on IG?

I’d love to check out your friends phenos

Top Bottom