The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Judaz

Judaz

You said it was average to you. What about it made it average, I was asking. And what do you think or would say is above average, provide an example of what you consider an above avg strain. And I'm not forcing you to grow or smoke it but wanted to hear your thoughts of when you smoked it why didn't you think it was all that.

I describe it here

Judaz

Judaz

This guy best describe why the skunk smelling Cannabis and why the og kush types of weed from the early 90’s are a special moment in cannabis history and how the west coast is responsible for some of the best crosses in cannabis history that derived from a need to grow cannabis locally for the environment. And how the solution came down to the crosses between the best Sativa land race strains grown near the equator and Afghani indica kushes already adapted to the drier weather to make the perfect blend for the homegrown cannabis weed to the climate of the west coast.

Like avocados, apples, potatoes, and most other commercial crops, cannabis comes in a wide range of varietals, commonly called strains. Think Haas, McIntosh, Russet—only, you know, with weed.

All strains throughout history share a common ancestor: a feral annual plant in Central Asia approximately 15,000 years ago.
The oldest cannabis strains are collectively categorized as landraces, a term used to describe any genetically distinct varietal that’s indigenous to a specific geographic region, where it has—over a long period of time and isolation—adapted to the area’s climate and traditional cultivation techniques. Part of this process is natural acclimation, but local cannabis growers have also selectively bred these landraces over many generations, choosing for propagation individual plants that show desired traits, like drought resistance in an arid climate or mold resistance in a place with chilly nights and dense fog.

Related
The Cannabis Origin: What Is a Landrace Strain?
Often these landrace cannabis strains are named at least in part for their region of origin: Think Panama Red, Maui Wowie, and Malawi Gold. Further back, according to most scholars, the cannabis species originated as a feral annual plant in Central Asia approximately 15,000 years ago, and from there spread worldwide along ancient trading routes, which means that all strains throughout history share a common ancestor.

North America’s earliest pot smokers came up puffing on pure sativa landrace strains native to Mexico, the Caribbean, and points further south. Back in those pre-sinsemilla days (1900–1970), every bag of grass came with a large supply of free seeds, but those seeds wouldn’t grow well in northern climates. Pure sativas take weeks longer than indicas to mature, and thus require a longer, warmer growing season—a problem that became a crisis in the United States when the War on Marijuana began focusing on border patrols and shutting off foreign supply lines.

North America’s earliest pot smokers came up puffing on pure sativa landrace strains.
As demand for cannabis spiked in the late 1960s, the situation grew so dire there were well-publicized cannabis droughts. Then enterprising cannabis breeders in California and elsewhere discovered that by crossing these landrace sativa strains they were used to smoking with landrace indica strains brought back from Nepal, Afghanistan, and other stops along the then-popular Hippie Trail, they could produce hybrids with the best traits of both subspecies. Thus, they transformed homegrown American cannabis from ditch weed laughingstock into the envy of the world.

But most exotic and potent landrace strains came from Thailand including the famous Thai buds which were the first versions of some of the best sinsemilla around. Brought during the times of the Vietnam war. Their exotic appeal for their euphoric nature and uplifting high and thc % made them the perfect Sativa landrace strain to cross with that narcotic feeling of we’ll being that came with some of the most potent Indicas from the middle eastern mountains. The afghani indica a perfect example of that.

West coast growers in the US soon realized that if they started crossing Thai bud with the best afghani kushes it would create a unique type of exotic cannabis that can give you those highs with the best of both worlds. Containing the uplifting Euphoric feeling along with that narcotic feeling of well being that came from the body high.

Throughout the 80’s the west coast part of the US became the epicenter for the birth of some of the best skunks and kushes Strains that made states like California known for the best quality bud.
The late eighties and early 90’s was a special period for cannabis it gave birth for some of the best weed ever created in this world. The different og kush types of cannabis derived from the Thai x afghani crosses and the skunk smelling types of cannabis from the Colombian and Mexican Sativa crosses with the afghani kush.

Judaz

Judaz

So out of this need to grow cannabis locally Thai strain crosses with afghani kushes created the different skunk like og kush like cannabis cannabis we saw in late eighties to early 90’s. they are the children of the perfected genetics of landrace strains. And that’s why og kush and those skunk like weeds are special. They are the first generation of the most perfected cannabis that was bread for thousands of years in those regions of the world. Take 📝

BigCube

BigCube

You said it was average to you. What about it made it average, I was asking. And what do you think or would say is above average, provide an example of what you consider an above avg strain. And I'm not forcing you to grow or smoke it but wanted to hear your thoughts of when you smoked it why didn't you think it was all that.

I defined average. It's the default. The majority of strains are by definition, average. What do I believe are examples of above average strains? Well, not many. By definition above average cant be the majority of strains. I reserve it for strains that were game changers. Like skunk #1, hindu kush, northern lights etc.

I think its not all that cause it's not very good. There are many more kush crosses that taste way better. Hell the hindu kush they crossed it with was better.

Am I saying its shit? No. Kush is like sex. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.
I just dknt think its anywhere near the best kush. Plenty of kush strains ame before and after og that were much better.

Judaz

Judaz

I defined average. It's the default. The majority of strains are by definition, average. What do I believe are examples of above average strains? Well, not many. By definition above average cant be the majority of strains. I reserve it for strains that were game changers. Like skunk #1, hindu kush, northern lights etc.

I think its not all that cause it's not very good. There are many more kush crosses that taste way better. Hell the hindu kush they crossed it with was better.

Am I saying its shit? No. Kush is like sex. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.
I just dknt think its anywhere near the best kush. Plenty of kush strains ame before and after og that were much better.

True but they were just kushes and provided 1 type of high mostly a body high. The brilliance of og kush is that it brings the best of both worlds like skunk strains do. So in terms of why these types of strains are special. Sure you can like
a puré indica Kush and personally say it’s better but the overall high is not the same. Theses hybrids bring the best of both wolds. That’s why they became iconic. That’s why A strain like og kush became famous. For its special high, smells and flavors.

Judaz

Judaz

And why did states like California become so famous for growing quality cannabis? Because of the perfect weather to grow. Just look at centra California. It’s the factory of the US for fruits. Perfect climate to grow outdoor weed and those genetics can best express themselves like we have manipulated even more now with indoor growing now. Quality cannabis is born because we can dial in our environments so much better now and make changes like Sensing to produce more thc

W

Wardawg

View attachment 895835NL
[/QUOT
Wasn’t northern lights#5 Around way earlier than Chen dog and being local to the British Columbia scene one story I heard was the NL stuff was bred on Vancouver island and Seattle area and was one of the early strains developed to be grown indoors which was Afghani that might of had a bit of Thai that was grown in Hawaii for a bit and the NL strains were used
I hear ya man. I'm from BC. We have our own deep cannabis history. Something about the west coast eh? 🤣

We had wild shit flying around in the 80s and 90s. A lot of well known genetics came out of BC. I just wish we could start back there, and try again. I'm not digging this "big purple titty fuck" (what I call those stupid named shit) strains we have flying around now.

I am growing white widow right now, cause it's one older ones I could get my mitts on lol. I'm thinking of going back to skunk #1. But from what I remember, I dont know if the filters can handle it 🤣 it was almost like burnt rubber.
do remember the skunk around in the nineties in bc some people called it roadkill or diaper weed babyshit skunk or baby puke skunk big spear buds with really big resin glands large calyx red and Orange hair. That head this sweet and sour taste that I haven’t had in years it’s still around let’s get growing it again

W

Wardawg

Hey bro I'm from kelowna area and I've grown sensi's skunk #1 huge yields nice smoke but the smell is super fruity no real skunk smell at all. One that always good in my books is Durban poison. But I agree with you I feel the older strains are way better. Had great luck with csi gear, Humboldt gear, Barnes farm stuff. How's the real texada timewarp?. Jordan of the islands is always good, God bud is great
Jordan of the island catalog is so big he can’t have done proper work on that many strains seems he’s just putting al sorts of stuff together and releasing them I haven’t tried any of his crosses but have worked a god bud clone

BigCube

BigCube

do remember the skunk around in the nineties in bc some people called it roadkill or diaper weed babyshit skunk or baby puke skunk big spear buds with really big resin glands large calyx red and Orange hair. That head this sweet and sour taste that I haven’t had in years it’s still around let’s get growing it again

I heard NL #5 was a BC strain too. Dont know if its true, but it wouldn't surprise me. Lots of good stuff came and still comes out of BC. Pretty much the entire west coast has rich cannabis history.

The skunk I remember from late 80s early 90s was very very strong smelling. My group of friends also used those descriptions, baby diaper, roadkill.. I always though it had a burnt rubber kind of smell the skunk was so strong.

My dad and I joke about training a pet skunk to hose down a grow room. It was really that strong. And yeah sadly I havent had it in many years. Everything I've had they call skunk now just pales in comparison.

If anyone knows where I can get it, hit me up!

bathngodblud

bathngodblud

Can you give us your summary of what he is saying about this

Think of it like mixing paint. If I mix a little bit of red with a little bit of blue what am I going to get? Now if I keep mixing more blue or red in any variation, eventually, that paint is going to be so mixed up with recessive genes (harder to tell) the dominant genes get lost in the shuffle and you now have something not even close to the original that has been worked for multiple generations and is literally not even the same plant it was when it was all the hype. So now you have all of these cats going around saying OG this OG that when in reality it’s not OG. It’s just a name at this point. It doesn’t exist anymore. Just like the real purple haze, just like purple kush, and a lot of other strains that we all remember. Now that’s not to say that strains like SFV OG, LA Beatnik, Headband, etc still can’t live up to that hype by being some straight gassy ass fire that gives us those aromas and taste that us kush lovers enjoy.. but it doesn’t change the fact that the OG kush were talking about is no longer a thing.

Aksarben

Aksarben

Now, throw in some Cannabis ruderallis in the Autoflower group. Some of the Autoflowers I have grown this last summer, outside, are pretty outstanding. I have tried, in Autos, Zkittlez, OG Kush (excellent!) Royal Crematic, Skunk #1, Gorilla Glue #4, and my favorite, Wipeout Express Auto. Some have called them ditch weed. Far from it. I am 66 and remember seedy bags in my "just out of High School" days, and anything I have tried in Auto simply is not only very good, but very unique in it's own right.

AAA1971

AAA1971

Now, throw in some Cannabis ruderallis in the Autoflower group. Some of the Autoflowers I have grown this last summer, outside, are pretty outstanding. I have tried, in Autos, Zkittlez, OG Kush (excellent!) Royal Crematic, Skunk #1, Gorilla Glue #4, and my favorite, Wipeout Express Auto. Some have called them ditch weed. Far from it. I am 66 and remember seedy bags in my "just out of High School" days, and anything I have tried in Auto simply is not only very good, but very unique in it's own right.
I’ve had nothing but poor results from autos. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen and heard excellent results from others, but I’m autophobic.
I grew Skunk #1 this year, 6 phenos, I was disappointed as I expected Road Kill stank!

@Aksarben how did your SK1 turn out?

Judaz

Judaz

Think of it like mixing paint. If I mix a little bit of red with a little bit of blue what am I going to get? Now if I keep mixing more blue or red in any variation, eventually, that paint is going to be so mixed up with recessive genes (harder to tell) the dominant genes get lost in the shuffle and you now have something not even close to the original that has been worked for multiple generations and is literally not even the same plant it was when it was all the hype. So now you have all of these cats going around saying OG this OG that when in reality it’s not OG. It’s just a name at this point. It doesn’t exist anymore. Just like the real purple haze, just like purple kush, and a lot of other strains that we all remember. Now that’s not to say that strains like SFV OG, LA Beatnik, Headband, etc still can’t live up to that hype by being some straight gassy ass fire that gives us those aromas and taste that us kush lovers enjoy.. but it doesn’t change the fact that the OG kush were talking about is no longer a thing.

I get what you are saying but I’ve had the same clone for 20 years. The one that came from Florida to LA in 1996. So I have the og kush. It’s gas, fire one of a kind. But I get it everybody be calling their new stuff og something.

Fatboy

Fatboy

Join the crowd bro!! Hunting and A searching turning over every rock, looking under every freakin thing. It’s the luck of the draw if your lucky enough it will come to you:) I’m still lookin!
What are you after

Aksarben

Aksarben

I’ve had nothing but poor results from autos. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen and heard excellent results from others, but I’m autophobic.
I grew Skunk #1 this year, 6 phenos, I was disappointed as I expected Road Kill stank!

@Aksarben how did your SK1 turn out?

Looking over records I must confess,that Skunk #1 was not grown, but only on my wish list. I could have sworn I grew it since my wife COMPLAINED of the skunk smell in the house a while back. I have several "Skunk #1" saved in my wish list (Autoflower) but not sure which one to actually try.. They won't be the original as these are seeds. In fact, with the introduction of Ruderalis in the mix, all I could actually hope for would be something kind of close. What exactly IS the definition of characteristics of Skunk #1?

I did grow some OG Kush Auto this year and I can say more assuredly that it is VERY potent. I notice it but also my wife noticed it when I used it (flower) decarboxylated for her gel capsules at the same milligram as I had on Wipeout Express and another. She had to increase her CBD Tincture that she takes to counteract the amount of THC that is in it. Guess I need to have it tested sometime.

AAA1971

AAA1971

What exactly IS the definition of characteristics of Skunk #1?

not sure, I thought Skunky for one.

I grew Sensi Super skunk in my backyard 20 years ago, up in a tree.

I had three plants and on a calm warm night you could smell skunk down the street.

Stash

Stash

I have already posted this on another forum on this site but I think this is the forum this post should be on. Please forgive me.
A few years ago I grew out some of my very old Oger Kush seeds. My new F2 seeds are now about 3yrs old and to me these are very fresh. I have given out hundreds of them and I gave back some to my friend Ghost. Below are post that I copy pasted from other sites. I hope this clears up a lot for everyone. Later, Stash

"Found this on the old CW site:
" Author Topic: Ogers Kush (Read 87 times)
Ghost1
View Profile

"Ogers Kush
« on: December 24, 2002, 09:26 pm »
I have been fortunate enough to recieve a couple of nice nuggets of Ogers Kush and thought I'd share with the community of what I think about it. The aroma is wonderful, like that of hash from days of the old. I'm 38 and been tokin' for 23 years now. The flavor is reminds of the red hashes, mild and not over powering, yet very flavorful. It expands nicely, where one can hold the toke without coughing up a lung. The buzz is top shelf here folks. It is a good, no great up buzz with no paranoia and little if any indica burn out. I suffer from anxiety and take meds for it. Smoke like this is better than any man made medication for anxiety. I know we've been hearing about it a lot. If anyone gets the chance for a clone, go for it ! You will not be disappointed in the least. Soon I will have a clone mother in my stash garden. I would like to thank the Orgnkid for sharing this wonderful herb with me. Merry Christmas to one and to all. "

"All my Oger Kush are from Orgnkid. They are now F2 and these seeds were made from F1 seeds that were maybe 15 or 20 yrs old and I take very good care of my seed stash. These seeds are everything that they were back then, all females were bred with all the males, no selective breeding. One of the best strains ever but a little smelly. Some phenos will make you very, very happy.
I also have seeds of ECSD x Ogers Kush. The ECSD is the old school original clone. The ogers kush was the prize male found in seeds via orginkid and they stink good.
Later, Stash "

"Ogers Kush was just another name for OG Kush back then. It's all the same plant."

"My apologies ahead of time if I offend anybody.
Nevertheless, my impression was that the Ghost Cut was the original.
Orginkid did the femmed you reference at a later date. A lone male was found in those seeds and pollinated the Ghost Cut, ECSD Cut, and Apollo Haze.
My impression is that what you have Stash is as close that anyone will get to the orginal ogers kush in seed form. "

"Hey Stash,

I've heard Orgnkid say in an interview that he gave ghost the original cutting, not an s1 as most seem to believe.

The JoshD clone is the Ghost as is the Tahoe and so on. Those early few OG renames were all from the original cut leaking from the LA/SFV crew into other crews. The Tahoe came about by a friend of Josh's living in Tahoe with the cut. I hope this helps a bit. "

Top Bottom