The LED Journey

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Back in 2011 when I started this journey, I bought my first set of LED's Since then, I've played around with hood's and double ended HPS/MH & back again.

HPS/MH are wonderful products, especially the doubled ended types in hoods that can be well ventilated, but that's a lot of electricity, but I have to admit, the final product is simply amazing, when done correctly. But most people simply don't have the space and want to deal with all the added equipment necessary, and LED's have really improved over the last 10 years...

That said, I've used just about every type of LED grow light out there. I've used COB's, 2 watts's, 3 watt's 5 watt's 10 watt's and even 20 watt LED's, I used little UFO's, and ones with 100x, 144x, 200x and even 300x (My next lamp I'm getting is 390x). I've experienced all types of frequency revisions, 3, 5, 7 and 9 different spectrum's, full spectrum (and both). I've used Black Dog LED, Best VA, Mars Hydro, Roleadro, and various generics from China. I've used Cree, Epistar and Bridgelux diodes.

There are a lot of good lights out there right now. For the average consumer like me (not a professional grower) there are many good options. I've only explored a few (However, probably much more than most). I look for value, VS price. I want a good light, that performs well, at a bargain price. So far, I've not been disappointed.

Currently, I've been using the Best VA 3000 series (I don't say watt's because that is meaningless) I have 2 of these. They use 120Ā° angle (best choice) and 300pcs Dual-Chip 10W Bridgelux/Epileds LEDs, with an average draw of around 470 watt, if I remember correctly.

My next light, I want the 4000 series, witch has the same setup, but in a 400 pcs, 3W and 5W LEDs and 690 watt draw. This one finally appears to be an actual replacement for my long lost love: (double ended HPS/MH hood-setup) Actually, maybe a bit better...
Here are the specs:
Full Spectrum:
280nm ~ 315nm -- Influence on morphological and physiological processes is minimal
315nm ~ 420nm -- Chlorophyll absorbs less impact photoperiod effect, prevent stem elongation
420nm ~ 500nm (blue) -- Chlorophyll and carotenoids absorbed the largest proportion, the greatest impact on photosynthesis
500nm ~ 620nm -- Dye absorption rate is not high
620nm ~ 750nm (red) -- Chlorophyll absorption rate "high", has a significant influence on photosynthesis and photoperiod effect
750nm ~ 1000nm -- Absorption rate, stimulate cell elongation, impact of flowering and seed germination
>1000nm -- Converted into calorie

I am truly impressed with these lights. Just my .02c
These, while used in conjunction with my autoflower strains, make growing cannabis in a open living room, totally doable. Making virtually anyone into a Pro "grower"...

Below, are photo's of my 3000's, I'm currently using them in veg only mode (above) but they also have a dual and separate flower modes. During flowering, I usually select both modes, actually... At least during early flower.

The led journey
The led journey 2
The led journey 3
Last edited:
threatco

threatco

Hey

Nice write up.

Have you used or checked out the meanwell/Samsung combo "quantum" lights that HLG and Spider Farmer are known for?

Seems your upgrading to a light that may still be considered a full spectrum blurple.

I recently bought new leds and the value worked out in the QBs favor for me personally

Prior I used 3x 1500 series King Plus, which are very similar to bestva.

Best regards!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, I kinda thought about that some after posting this thread actually. If I was going to spend a little extra money, that's what I would be going after, especially with the added benefit of having part of your heat source (power source) in a different location (ie. outside of grow-room), or away from the plants. I've looked at them, and certainly they appear to be a step up.

Also, if your the stylish or vain type, they simply look much better sitting out in the front room, perhaps reflector's can be fashioned for reducing glare. There an excellent option.

These are the one's I've considered from that group:

BESTVA 1000W 4000W

It's the only one close to powerful as the one above, and at 450 w draw, it's substantially under powered from the above unit, probably by about 1/3, and I don't like the bulb configuration/reliability as well actually, the above has an excellent configuration of both narrow bands AND full spectrum LEDS, both 10 watts, (Dual Chips) (I quoted 3 & 5 watts in error) for nicer penetration, larger flower footprint. (Remember, I have 2x of the 3000's series). The above 4000 is a true beast, at 690 watts...

But it's a much nicer looking unit, and it has an off light power source, so that's definitely attractive. But at $800.00 it's twice the price, for not as much light.

The spider farmer unit's look alright, and I've heard good things. They are cheaper, and use "samsung" diodes. The Best VA in this category uses SANAN chips, which are actually pretty good ones from China. I've no experience with both these Diode manufactures.

But the above lights use Bridgelux/Epileds witch are some of the better chips I've used, besides the one's I had in the Black Dog ie. $1,500 unit.

S l1600 1
Last edited:
threatco

threatco

Yea, I kinda thought about that some after posting this thread actually. If I was going to spend a little extra money, that's what I would be going after, especially with the added benefit of having part of your heat source (power source) in a different location (ie. outside of grow-room), or away from the plants. I've looked at them, and certainly they appear to be a step up.

Also, if your the stylish or vain type, they simply look much better sitting out in the front room, perhaps reflector's can be fashioned for reducing glare. There an excellent option.

These are the one's I've considered from that group:

BESTVA 1000W 4000W

It's the only one close to powerful as the one above, and at 450 w draw, it's substantially under powered from the above unit, probably by about 1/3, and I don't like the bulb configuration/reliability as well actually, the above has an excellent configuration of both narrow bands AND full spectrum LEDS, both 10 watts, (Dual Chips) (I quoted 3 & 5 watts in error) for nicer penetration, larger flower footprint. (Remember, I have 2x of the 3000's series). The above 4000 is a true beast, at 690 watts...

But it's a much nicer looking unit, and it has an off light power source, so that's definitely attractive. But at $800.00 it's twice the price, for not as much light.

The spider farmer unit's look alright, and I've heard good things. They are cheaper, and use "samsung" diodes. The Best VA in this category uses SANAN chips, which are actually pretty good ones from China. I've no experience with both these Diode manufactures.

But the above lights use Bridgelux/Epileds witch are some of the better chips I've used, besides the one's I had in the Black Dog ie. $1,500 unit.

I paid 132 per unit and 92 shipping for 2x 240w QBs with all the bell's and whistles. These Alibaba companies actually put them close the the price of the blurple kind of.

I like the added benefit of a wider footprint. The light is just more spread out. Less heat spot issues.

And aesthetically, I just like seeing the plants in white light vs purple.

I wouldn't have gone this route if the price point hadn't been dropped so greatly by these companies

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I paid 132 per unit and 92 shipping for 2x 240w QBs with all the bell's and whistles. These Alibaba companies actually put them close the the price of the blurple kind of.

I like the added benefit of a wider footprint. The light is just more spread out. Less heat spot issues.

I wouldn't have gone this route if the price point hadn't been dropped so greatly by these companies

What are the exact units you purchased? I don't see them, are they they the HLG series? ie. (1000's 2000's 4000's) I use a Plug-in Power Energy Watt Voltage Meter LCD Monitor to test all the units once I purchase them, to ensure they are, what they say they are... There is simply so much fraud, and BS flung around on these issues, especially anything coming out of China, it can be very confusing for the consumer, to say the least.

Like my dual chips are indeed 10 watt chips, but actually only charged with 1.6 watts of power, (each) so what they call a 3000 watt, is actually a 470 watt lamp. Too make it even more confusing, every unit is different, so a 3000's series in one maker is not the same as with another maker, ect...

S l1600 2
Last edited:
threatco

threatco

What are the exact units you purchased? I don't see them, are they they the HLG series? ie. (1000's 2000's 4000's) I use a Plug-in Power Energy Watt Voltage Meter LCD Monitor to test all the units once I purchase them, to ensure they are, what they say they are... There is simply so much fraud, and BS flung around on these issues, especially anything coming out of China, it can be very confusing for the consumer, to say the least.

This is the light I bought two of.

It is a similar to a Spider Farmer 2000 or HLG 200. But better considering the added features and customization IMO.

I would be skeptical of Alibaba based Chinese options for just about any market. But for some reason, they are killing it in the LED market right now.

Tonnes and tonnes of posts here about reviews and experiences with these companies. Enough that I felt comfortable to go with it.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Wisely put, and good thing you found out about the price drop šŸ˜‰

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
This is the light I bought two of.

It is a similar to a Spider Farmer 2000 or HLG 200. But better considering the added features and customization IMO.

I would be skeptical of Alibaba based Chinese options for just about any market. But for some reason, they are killing it in the LED market right now.

Tonnes and tonnes of posts here about reviews and experiences with these companies. Enough that I felt comfortable to go with it.

Yea, that's what I do also, surf for the cheapest, newest options that people are getting excellent results/reviews. Sounds like you made a good purchase, but I would check them with a meter, (so you know what you actually have for sure) as one only cost about , and they are very useful. Also, I would get yourself a light meter, I use the MS6612 Digital Lux meter, so I can get precise light measurements, exact coverage and regulate your lumen output. They run about , although the corded ones are a bit better IMO, because they can be manipulated better.

With your type of lights, I wouldn't hesitate to bring those down right (virtually) on top of your plants. One of my oldest lights is similar to these, equipped with lower powered led's Here it is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Sys...004KSRNGW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's a decent light, but the penetration is limited, so dialing it down on the plants is advised. With the newer LED's I have, especially with the dual 10 w chips, I'm usually a good 2 foot++ off the plants.... Every LED functions a little differently, and every LED setup is going to vary.

Believe it or not, that little light down there was $1200 years ago, and not even close to the performance of my current VA Best 3000's, ($280) or even the older Roleadro HYG05-200X10W-W ($160) that I still use. It is still very good for flowering a few small plants, and really pop the trichomes.

The only thing the VA's do is give me a larger footprint, probably about 3x the size, with a 50% increase in watts. (300--->470) and much better penetration on the lower buds, they are thick all the way down the plant, in the end, not just the tops.

20's are too large of chip, I've tried them. 3's and 5's are great combo's but the dual 10's are the best Chips I've used to date. It's not just about the light spectrum and but intensity and penetration is a huge factor also to consider.

S l1600
81QnnGg0viL AC SL1500
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
When I do veg, I'm usually starting seeds at around 15,000-20,000 lux, then I quickly get them used to 30,000 up to around 60,000 maximum.

Going into flower, I try to keep between 60,000 and 85,000 depending on what they can tolerate. Keep in mind your plants are always growing towards the light, especially early on, and need to be moved up biweekly or weekly at minimum. Keep an eye on them for the sweet spot, as the rewards can be big, with really fine product at the endpoint.

You might not realize what this can do at the time, but only at the end do you really start to understand how much keeping the lights properly aligned really matters.

Also, If I have any tall plants, I usually position them around the sides, so they are closer to the lamp, and the short ones get the center light. Often, my corner plants are touching the light, or close to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom