The mistakes I made...

• Thread starter Terpeneluv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Trimmed half of my harvest yesterday, after 8 days off drying. Tonight I trim the other one before they're Jarred. As I was trimming the one that had some rough foxtailing, I thought about the mistakes I made being new.

This list is partial as new subjects come up all the time...

1. Don't feed according to manufacturer recommendation (at least with Canna). Figured that out early thanks to my fellow farmers in this board. As I've often read, "less is more". This is truth

2. Do whatever you have to do to keep the temp in check. Because I'm a cheap bastard, I was hesitant to crank up the AC to get it to low 70's. This was tough with the heat created by the dehumidifier to keep it rh down. I could have been more aggressive keeping it cool land suffered for being cheap. It came out very potent and smells amazing, but the foxtail on every bud is disappointing.

3. Use a 2nd trellis. I was given advise here to go ahead and do that, but I was spooked by the fabric too close to the bud and I thought it would grow around that string. Well, that was a novice move and I should have listened. I ended up with 20 pain in the ass yo-yos. Never doing that again.

4. Lights on should have been at night, not the day. First, because I think I would have had an easier time controlling the heat, and second, power where I am is less during those hours (again, cheap bastard).

5. Flip sooner. I went far too long in veg and they almost tripled in size and left no headroom. It's recommended 18 inches from light in flower with my light and some of the tops were 7 inches from growing out of space. Lesson learned.

6. I should have avoided a mixed crop. Have to different strains made it difficult for feeding, light distance and finish time. It would have been easier if they were both the same strain. At least from a newbie perspective.

Those are the main points. Maybe my mistakes will help new people avoid making the same ones.

I must say, even with the bumps I had, it would have been far more difficult and far less successful if this forum wasn't here. You farmers absolutely rock and are always helpful, no matter if it's an old used up question, or something embarrassingly simple. Folks in here are always willing to give and for that I'm grateful.

Glookies next but in soil this time. Going in the dirt tonight. Ready for this next round and hopefully I've learned from my mistakes!

Peace

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Solid advice. Every point.

3. Use a 2nd trellis. I was given advise here to go ahead and do that, but I was spooked by the fabric too close to the bud and I thought it would grow around that string. Well, that was a novice move and I should have listened. I ended up with 20 pain in the ass yo-yos. Never doing that again.

LOL take this one to heart. If you think you need 2 put up 3.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Trimmed half of my harvest yesterday, after 8 days off drying. Tonight I trim the other one before they're Jarred. As I was trimming the one that had some rough foxtailing, I thought about the mistakes I made being new.

This list is partial as new subjects come up all the time...

1. Don't feed according to manufacturer recommendation (at least with Canna). Figured that out early thanks to my fellow farmers in this board. As I've often read, "less is more". This is truth

2. Do whatever you have to do to keep the temp in check. Because I'm a cheap bastard, I was hesitant to crank up the AC to get it to low 70's. This was tough with the heat created by the dehumidifier to keep it rh down. I could have been more aggressive keeping it cool land suffered for being cheap. It came out very potent and smells amazing, but the foxtail on every bud is disappointing.

4. Lights on should have been at night, not the day. First, because I think I would have had an easier time controlling the heat, and second, power where I am is less during those hours (again, cheap bastard).

5. Flip sooner. I went far too long in veg and they almost tripled in size and left no headroom. It's recommended 18 inches from light in flower with my light and some of the tops were 7 inches from growing out of space. Lesson learned.

6. I should have avoided a mixed crop. Have to different strains made it difficult for feeding, light distance and finish time. It would have been easier if they were both the same strain. At least from a newbie perspective.

Those are the main points. Maybe my mistakes will help new people avoid making the same ones.

I must say, even with the bumps I had, it would have been far more difficult and far less successful if this forum wasn't here. You farmers absolutely rock and are always helpful, no matter if it's an old used up question, or something embarrassingly simple. Folks in here are always willing to give and for that I'm grateful.

Glookies next but in soil this time. Going in the dirt tonight. Ready for this next round and hopefully I've learned from my mistakes!

Peace
how you figure you messed up?
way i see it you are a gardner good or bad,crops fail all the time,what made you the gardner is you learned something new and tee off right were it was

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

I'm convinced I could have avoided the foxtailing from having the proper temperature and humidity. I also believe I would have yielded more, although I'm not complaining.

I'm actually pleased with my grow, maybe even proud, but it could have done better. After all, don't we always want the next one to be better than the last?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm convinced I could have avoided the foxtailing from having the proper temperature and humidity. I also believe I would have yielded more, although I'm not complaining.

I'm actually pleased with my grow, maybe even proud, but it could have done better. After all, don't we always want the next one to be better than the last?
i have no problem settling for what i get,loli got a lot on the plate around here and medicine doesnt get much attention hahah

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think you did pretty good, despite the knowledge bumps that you hit. The hardest thing to get new growers to understand is that it is impossibly easy to overfeed things, which opens up a truckload of worms. You always pay for your knowledge, one way or another. You learned a lot from this grow without realizing it. Keep up the good work and good advice, like yours, is always helpful! šŸ˜Ž

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Thanks, Jimster. Your advice was a big help throughout the grow. Much appreciated.

Trimmed the second one last night. Between the two, I yielded .87 lbs. That's after 8 days off drying. I put them in totes until I get home to jar them up.

Gorilla Zkittlez was my intention with this grow and thought it would be the star, but the freebie seed Blue Fire OG (Beastmode 2.0) was the clear winner. The both smell amazing, but the BFOG is simply amazing and it yielded about an ounce more. Plus I sampled both and they both rock, but once again, the BFOG is stellar.

Looking forward to the finished cure. Just dried they're impressive, so I imagine when done they'll be even better.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Great post TL. Every single grow can teach a lesson when you're paying attention to things and trying to progress as a gardener, and like you said its instinct to always want the next one to come out just a bit better.

Sounds like you learned a ton off of this grow, and that knowledge is in my opinion just as valuable as the crop itself. You grew a pile of wisdom there along with your buds, nice work.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Thanks, Dirtbag. I really appreciate.

It's great to hear from you and Jimster. Like I said, I leaned so much from you guys and I plan to keep that evolution rolling.

Aquaman, he's a wealth of knowledge and helpful as well. Haven't heard from him in a while. Hope so if well.

Top Bottom