The Perfect Led Grow Light / Lite

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Does the perfect LED grow light already exist?

• Total voters
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
In the past as growers we have been stuck with what’s available to us on the open market. That’s mostly controlled by the lighting manufacturers and we simply either buy it or don’t.

But what if we COULD design the perfect LED light? What if we could design and create the next LED grow light?

So lets design the perfect LED Grow Light. If you could design the best LED grow light what would you do? Design / Footprint, Specs, Color Temp (Can be multiple or just one), Price, etc.

This is just to let our imaginations run wild. It’s a break from the normal “what deficiency is this?” or “why is my plant doing that?”. Something to get our minds moving and maybe help evolve the industry we all love. Now I know one size doesn’t fit all and that’s ok.

What would be ideal for you?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I haven't used LEDs because of being old and obstinate, as well as because of so much conflicting information and the inability to compare apples to Oranges (MH/HPS VS LED) easily. I have a pretty good background in electronics and was considering building my own LEDs at one point. Chinese imports killed off that idea but I always imagined a light panel that had a wide variety of reds/blues as well as UVA/B. The idea I wanted to do was to make the panel programmable, so you could run different combinations of colors, with more blues for VG and more reds for flowering...but variable over time, mimicking what actual solar wavelengths do over the period of a 6 month period. Simple, foolproof connectors, an easy to use graphical interface, and maybe a small sensor setup module that could measure temps, humidity, and other factors that folks want to know. Variable brightness. Make it computer interfaceable to allow networking and easier data acquisition. An entire computer assisted growing program would be a good idea, although I'm sure someone has figured one out by now...probably China.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah actually multi spectrum leds have been recently introduced. I do like the concept. One light that will work for veg and flowering. What kind of form factor would you like? Do you like led strip lights, cobs, panels? What if you could use strips to form a panel? Lots of cool options available even if the perfect light doesn’t already exist. Personally I like the panel option or the multi strip panel option. I’d be interested in what kind of lumens they can kick out vs cob leds and the even coverage they provide. I myself have no tested a panel but I have tested a cob led and was fairly impressed with it.

H

hawkman

they are all way changing for the better her are two "Lumigrow" and California Light Works - both these ah setting that you can adjust light spectrum/intensity for each specif growth stage and adjust to dawn to sunset setting in relation to spectrum and intensity - they are close to $600 + Galaxyhrdro makes a good 300 watt full spectrum with IR & UV + dimminable cost $89.00

F

FutureGrower

Well a few things. I would love for a absolutely covered 4x4 without any real light gaps. I mean I guess I almost have that but LEDs are coming along way to fast to say that I have the perfect light.

Another feature that would be handy is a folding unit. Maybe very hard to achieve but from a shipping and handling point of view, as well as a user friendliness it would be nice but definitely not a nessisity.

Far red initiators all around would be great too... as far as kelvins I don't reall know yet but I'm not sure anybody has more then a educated guess either

F

FutureGrower

My current serup 20 or 22(I forget lol)

3500k bridgelux eb2 strips powered by a hlg600 0.7a driver in a 4x4, something like this but foldable would be so convenient to move around it gets bulky in the tent

20181021 080628
F

FutureGrower

I haven't used LEDs because of being old and obstinate, as well as because of so much conflicting information and the inability to compare apples to Oranges (MH/HPS VS LED) easily. I have a pretty good background in electronics and was considering building my own LEDs at one point. Chinese imports killed off that idea but I always imagined a light panel that had a wide variety of reds/blues as well as UVA/B. The idea I wanted to do was to make the panel programmable, so you could run different combinations of colors, with more blues for VG and more reds for flowering...but variable over time, mimicking what actual solar wavelengths do over the period of a 6 month period. Simple, foolproof connectors, an easy to use graphical interface, and maybe a small sensor setup module that could measure temps, humidity, and other factors that folks want to know. Variable brightness. Make it computer interfaceable to allow networking and easier data acquisition. An entire computer assisted growing program would be a good idea, although I'm sure someone has figured one out by now...probably China.

I don't think it's too conflicting honestly. Side by side you can take 600 watts of quality LEDs and return the same yield as a 1000w hps with less heat. I mean the final results you get to are probably the same but the cost of HPS in the long run is more

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
My current serup 20 or 22(I forget lol)

3500k bridgelux eb2 strips powered by a hlg600 0.7a driver in a 4x4, something like this but foldable would be so convenient to move around it gets bulky in the tent

Very nice. What are the specs per tube for those leds? Watts, length, etc. How do you like them? How is the canopy penetration?

F

FutureGrower

Very nice. What are the specs per tube for those leds? Watts, length, etc. How do you like them? How is the canopy penetration?

Its42 volts or at least that's what my driver is putting out 44" strips 1" wide single layer of led diodes ( not the samsung double row style ) spacing was supposed to be 2 inches between strips originally but I had cut 2 small pieces of wood for a wedge and I ended up using the wrong ends lol. But for the most part every strip is about 2" spacing or less. The light penetration is amazing. I'll be honest though I just dont have enough lighting experience to tell you if it's better than what a Samsung setup with fewer strips. But I would assume from a shadow perspective just the sheer minimum spacing would be better.

Grow quality and heat have been incredible. This my my third cycle and I'm coming from using a CMH also so of course it'll be a improvement (315cmh to 550ish watts before losses lol)

I didnt buy heat sinks and my local metal supplier was out of C Channel when I put it together but at some point I would love to add them, some of the strips flex down and it honestly looks more ghetto then actually being ghetto. But it drives me nuts! Lol

If you have any other questions or i missed anything just ask this stuff is fun to talk about :)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
How many watts are each strip?

I do like the flexibility of the LED strips, i just wasn't sure how well they performed in real life. I have used burples and COBs and both of those have their advantages and disadvantages. But strips seem like they could be a happy medium.

F

FutureGrower

How many watts are each strip?

I do like the flexibility of the LED strips, i just wasn't sure how well they performed in real life. I have used burples and COBs and both of those have their advantages and disadvantages. But strips seem like they could be a happy medium.

They're just under 30 watts a piece. I was reading about even though I have a 42v driver my driver will adjust its voltage down a bit for some reasons... I need to find that page if I do I'll link it here. But if it's the case I may be running closer to 39 volts which would mean they're closer to 27 watts per strip. The recommended drive current is around 1 amp or I believe something like 1.2 so I'm running them at least 30% softer then manufactured specs.

These get about 180lm/w what that ends up being in ppfd I dont know. I'm not sure anyone has the concrete data on these but by now it wouldn't surprise me

Really the biggest advantage to strips over COBs is the spread of light for minimum shadows and less heat spots. But if i had a good set of COBs unless i was expanding i would just stick with the cobs... unless you're a baller then get the strips! Lol

If I had to do it over again I think I woipdve ended up with a very similar final product list. I want to add some fat red initiators and a pwm for wifi control so i can check temps and adjust the light even when I'm not home but that's more luxury so I probably wont end up doing it lol

F

FutureGrower

But my frame... my next build will be better is all I can say lol! Needs more support I had too much faith in 1/3" angle alum it bends a little if I'm not careful

F

FutureGrower

Oh I forgot an easy way to calculate watts is amps multiplied by volts. In my case my volts are between 39 and 42 and my amps are 0.7

37x0.7= 27.3 and then I just multiply that by 20 to get my watts before driver and 120v losses

Might be helpful to anyone who is getting into LEDs :)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Is there a reference onsite that has the typical requirements for the optimum growth? I have seen snippets of info here and there onsite, but is there anywhere that has the info in one spot? I'm looking for the minimum/maximum brightness/lumens (without bleaching or burning) as well as light frequencies (I have seen the light graphs but they don't always have specifics), light blends (which would depend on longitude/latitude)...in other words, the light required for the best results in all stages of growing), and anything other lighting variables?

F

FutureGrower

Is there a reference onsite that has the typical requirements for the optimum growth? I have seen snippets of info here and there onsite, but is there anywhere that has the info in one spot? I'm looking for the minimum/maximum brightness/lumens (without bleaching or burning) as well as light frequencies (I have seen the light graphs but they don't always have specifics), light blends (which would depend on longitude/latitude)...in other words, the light required for the best results in all stages of growing), and anything other lighting variables?

I dont know of any books or threads that just sum up lighting. I think in part because people just don't know. There hasn't been enough research to point to a spectrum and say this is the one you need.

That being said if you want a common consensus get a light between 3000k and 4000k personally I went for 3500.

As far as peak brightness without burning your plants... you may be surprised at how close strips get to your plants before burning. 800 ppfd is kind of the standard that you want to get, much more then that you'll need to be adding co2 into the air.

So here's a tip if you want the best of the best buy either Samsung or bridgelux strips and run them at minimum drive. Theres a guy I believe on here that ran the Samsung strips at 0.7 amps that was running u think 1300+ ppfd. That's just too much imo but you can build now and then the lights down until want to add co2.

The higher current you drive LEDs at the less efficient they become at transferring heat into energy so you really want to run them at minimum drive if your pocketbook can afford it. If not just stay closer to factory recommended specs and you'll get a great quality light.

You can also get Cree or VERO29 cobs but unless you get a good deal I would honestly go strips, or quantum boards

Edit the strip build isn't on this forum its somewhere else I dont believe I can reference I apologize for that.

3 balls

3 balls

In the past as growers we have been stuck with what’s available to us on the open market. That’s mostly controlled by the lighting manufacturers and we simply either buy it or don’t.

But what if we COULD design the perfect LED light? What if we could design and create the next LED grow light?

So lets design the perfect LED Grow Light. If you could design the best LED grow light what would you do? Design / Footprint, Specs, Color Temp (Can be multiple or just one), Price, etc.

This is just to let our imaginations run wild. It’s a break from the normal “what deficiency is this?” or “why is my plant doing that?”. Something to get our minds moving and maybe help evolve the industry we all love. Now I know one size doesn’t fit all and that’s ok.

What would be ideal for you?
Cool thread. I hope the perfect one comes along soon, they're too spendy to buy expecting to switch out like a iPhone. At the same time, as fast as market price is dropping for product, the electric bill is becoming a lot more of an issue.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

No of course the perfect LED doesn’t exist. The sun is the only perfect light source and no artificial light will really stack up against it. However, we can still make incredibly effective LED units that will provide us with the results we desire. So far the Fluence bar lights are the best I have seen and that has me leaning toward using those types of light as the best options, but the pannel lights are fantastic too, and ultimately a bar light is a pannel but thinner allowing for a bit more variability in how to set up the light. But to me more than the configuration of the diodes is the spectrum. I would want a truly full spectrum light, a unit that has diodes of all colors, yes that includes yellow and green as well as infrared and ultraviolet light.

Adjustability in light cycles and intensity would be controlled from an external source, but I would love to have a program that would allow setting the light cycles to mimic the actual light cycles outdoors. It would be great to put in a program that allowed me to mimic the light cycle in Hawaii or British Colombia or any other locale possible.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Keep the ideas coming. I'm trying to design something that will include most of the desires for this medium of growth...currently in testing stage of new system. Its gonna take a while to get it together, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Trying to keep it simple but powerful. And cheap!
New technology is coming out every day!

Top Bottom