The purple effect...

• Thread starter Kitsune Nyx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Noob Question:

I know there are all these wonderful strains out there with sexy cold reactive purple hues, but I'm wondering, how do indoor growers stimulate/trigger these colour changes?
Can someone explain the science of this effect.. please?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Cold makes some plants have a hard time uptaking molybdenum....just one of many reasons I think another is with maturity. Not all plants just some

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I am definitely no scientist, but I believe it has something to do with the plants stopping photosynthesis and in turn, the lack of chlorophyll and the presence of glucose in the leaves in colder temperatures creates these beautiful colors. Just what an old timer told me... I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it sounds fucking good lmfao.

Edit: Also, I believe plants need to have the right alleles for turning purple. Or as Caveman4.20 said, not all plants will turn colors.

Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yep, and some strains purple up no matter what. Mendo Purps is one I've grown that does that, and a Purps cross, Grape Ape I think it was.

frebo

frebo

I've seen many strains purple or color up only where the sun hits them. Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Here, lemme get that lit for ya.
I have had that where from one side of the plant is still green almost like a sunburn.

S

ssteely71

I've played around with a product called PurpleMaxx. It did give me some purpling in warm temps from a clone of plant that didn't purple the first time I ran it. So it does work imo.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

definitely strain dependent. there are a few tricks to the trade: lower room temps to 75 during day, 60-62 at night, lower temp of water, and ive seen a dark period before harvest purple some strains out. whatever you do, dont use purple food coloring.... ha never tried it, i was gonna sarcastically suggest it, but i dont wanna be the dick to fuck up someones harvest.... although the idea was fucking funny. All these tricks do cause some form of stress though. So its up to the grower

Top Bottom