The real magical additive, Ascophyllum Nodosum

• Thread starter Hashshashin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hashshashin

Just so everyone knows this was my first post from ICmag.com. Its easier for me just to paste it, instead of writing it again. It just states the basics behind why Ascophyllum Nodosum really is the magical additive. This is what makes up all of the said organic and even non organic boosters or supplements. I figured since this was my first thread next to FPE i will introduce my methods.

I have become much more organic since this grow but still love Rainbow mix Bloom as i think its a good mix for rock dusts and guanos. My other favorite mix is Espomsa Biotone Starter Plus. This has all the great food to be built into the soil and as food for AACT if you'd like. There are only a couple of things i buy for my plants now which include the two mixes above, AN($13/lbs for concentrate powder), humic acid($13 for a pound of concentrated powder), molasses($4), zeolite(10lbs-20), azomite($20-3lbs), biochar($8-20lbs). I make my own Earthworm castings and hate using perlite and vermiculite!! There are much better alternatives.
Anyways on with the info you came here for.

"I have been reading various posts from around here and seeing how the community has grown. i had stopped growing up until a couple of months ago where i continued growing organic soil except under a 150w light under intense Scrog due to a sativa.

Regardless of all that i wanted to stir up some new info since i haven't seen any detailed threads containing one of the biggest and baddest organic additive. Everybody uses liquid karma or some sort of of additive which is primarily sea kelp. I have heard of these additives reffered to as "crack/meth for plants" since it has the ability to rush a rapid amount of growth or tasks that would take lots of time to happen in little time.

ASCOPHYLLUM NODOSUM

This species of kelp produces 70 different trace elements due to the nature of this sea weed. The main reason i'm writing this article isn't due to the fact of it's nutritional properties, but more of how it can help you.

Due to the intense SCROG that i put my plants under its not uncommon for a branch to break, or a thick part of the stem to snap in half and look as if it would never come back. However, ascophyllum nodosum or AN, as i'll call it here, has growth hormones which can heal these plants in as little as a full day. The first one is Auxin.

AUXIN

Auxin is a plant growth hormone that greatly benefits anyone who puts their plants into LST or any sort of SCROG. It has a couple of beneficial properties when used in conjunction with other PGH's such as increasing the elasticity of branches/ stems, which enables the user to move, twist and stretch plants in ways that seems almost unsettling to a new comer. Auxin also has a wounding response which jump starts the cell maturation, which in the case of a broken stem is a good thing since this will heal the plant quicker.

There are also more duty specific uses for auxin such as delaying fruit senescence or the dying of the flower or inducing new roots in fresh cuttings. I wouldn't use this as hardcore evidence but I've received 3 out of 3 females so far and i attribute it to good conditions, adequate soil space and kelp due to ethylene bio synthesis which is said to increase the presence of female flowers in certain species. NOTE: It is also said the delay in fruiting sensence isn't a good thing because in actuality its keeping the plant in more a veg growth than a fruting one.

Also this has been found from the Advanced nutrient site for B-52( I am not promoting this product its just where i saw specfic informaton pertaining to auxin. (For all i know this may be marketing bulls****) I just want everyone to know that most of the high grade claims to do miracles nutrient out there has sea kelp or something of the nature similar.

"Kelp Meal (auxin)
Two new auxins, as yet unidentified, but unlike any of the known indolyl-acetic acid types, were also discovered in 1958 in the Laminaria and Ascophyllum seaweeds used for processing into dried seaweed meal and liquid extract. These auxins have been found to encourage the growth of more cells -- in which they differ from more familiar types of auxin which simply enlarge the cells without increasing their number. One of the auxins also stimulates growth in both stems and roots of plants, and in this differs from indolyl-acetic acid and its derivatives, which cause cells to elongate but not to divide. The balanced action of this seaweed auxin has not been found in any other auxin."

CYTOKININ, GIBBERELLIN , BETAINE& MANNITOL

"Cytokinins are involved in many plant processes, including cell division, shoot and root morphogenesis, chloroplast maturation, cell enlargement, auxiliary bud release and senescence."- Wiki

Gibberellin basically regulates cell division and determines the developmental processes of the plant including rooting, fruiting, stem elongation, sexual expression and other phases that are seen throughout the plants useful life.

Betaine and Mannitol basically affects osmotic properties and can help plants in time of heat, drought or stress. Mannitol can help with the plant with diffusion

Other than plant growth hormones which every plant usually already contains. AN also contains other valuable beneficiaries including organic acids, polysaccharides, amino acids and proteins. Not only that but due to the organic acids & amino acids the nutrients already available are made even more readily available due to the ability to cheleate(sp?) chemicals. There are enzymes that are contained within AN and vastly benefit the rhizosphere.

Basically what that means is that the plant is getting all the essential nutrition benefactors essential to the different seasons seen by the plants. Not only can this organic wonder promote different phases such as flowering or rooting, but it can help in times when a branch is broken and needs a quick fix.

One last point i would like to make is applying this plant drug as it's referred to by some. Try not to use this everyday as it would tend to lose its benefits by constantly applying and i also believe the plant should rest, but that's just me, anyone can experiment.

Rooting/Cuttings/Seedlings

Use as a drench for fresh cuttings to sit in 15 minutes before cutting the tip and dipping in rooting powder, than pour over medium being used. Foliar feed as necessary to help plant get over loss of nitrogen and water through transpiration while making roots. You can also foliar feed baby seedlings with no harm or even soak the seeds in a AN solution for 24 hours than plant.

Note: I've recently been trying a gel made from AN powder and a mix of molasses& liquid AN with rooting power and mix. After i dip the stem in this mix after exposing a piece of the inner tissue by scraping with a sharp blade going against the plant once or twice. I've also found this gel to work very well on exposed broken areas of the plant, you can fill the wound in and cover it with a paper towel.than spray with liquid AN & molasses.

VEG. Phase

During the veg. period you have two choices. You can either encourage root growth by water the media with an AN solution. Also you can foliar feed to since the efficency of feeding through the leaves is 8-20 times greater than that of the roots. I highly recommend this at night since plants switchj "phases" at light and stop photostynthesizing but respirating. I have always believed that plants grow the most at night since they make energy during the day and stretch during the night. This is my opinion however, but i have seen great things happen overnight from foliar feeding after a couple hours of darkness.

FLOWER phase

During flower a foliar feeding regiment can help plants transition quicker from veg to bud. Not only that but provides an ample supply of nutrients for plants in a time where they need it the most.

MEDICAL REASON/EMERGENCY

Lastly if you snap a branch or stem, heavily and it looks like its life threatening, don't worry. A heavy foliar feeding regiment will help the plant overcome it quickly with little to no stress. Transplanting shock is also lessened by providing the plant with a root drench before done planting in its new home.

This plant was broken in half at the base to fit under the light and it never suffered any stress, which i relate to these techniques and the one mentioned in the note above. You can see a nail in the plant as i am trying an experiment with stress and resin output/purpling.
user126004_pic276463_1264115745_thumb.jpg
user126004_pic276464_1264115745_thumb.jpg

I hope someone see's some benefit out of all this useless rambling i have written. Maybe if there's interest i'll take a pic of my cab which has almost a full 2.3333sq ft screen of just green mostly from the sativa, but has two indica cousins. I think the main reasons for the great amount of growth i'm getting can be accounted for with just the AN and Rainbow Mix grow and bloom which i live by in all my growing besides MJ."
whole_view.jpg

Anyways have a good day guys, hope you find this useful. TheCoolestMan should find this familiar.

H

Hashshashin

another good thing i'd like to add is using Aloe Vera. It works as a foliar spreader and would work amazing with AN due to the vitamin content.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

CHEERS to AN . God truly must love kelp. I am going to get a bag of kelp meal this yr. for my outdoor veggies from the feed store. cheap as hell. Molasses too. I have always used bottled stuff before on my important stuff, but i want to see what kind of mixes i can come up w/ using cheap ingedients. All organic is nice for things you eat, yet alone smoke. Good luck everyone

febmeds_100_Medium_.jpg

M

MIZZ ELVIS

CHEERS to AN . God truly must love kelp. I am going to get a bag of kelp meal this yr. for my outdoor veggies from the feed store. cheap as hell. Molasses too. I have always used bottled stuff before on my important stuff, but i want to see what kind of mixes i can come up w/ using cheap ingedients. All organic is nice for things you eat, yet alone smoke. Good luck everyone

febmeds_100_Medium_.jpg

Kelp meal/powder is the bomb, as is cold-processed, enzymatically digested liquid kelp concentrates. I have the spot for all your organic needs especially top notch kelp meal for bottom dollar pricing.... Here is the link for peaceful Valley farm & garden supply................................ A 55 pound bag of Norwegian Ascophyllum Nodosum kelp meal for only $90 bucks!!!! You absolutely can't beat that. It works just as great as liquid concentrates and is great in Aerated compost teas too. If your an organic farmer than Peaceful Valley farm & Garden supply is a great place for very affordable organic goodies.

H

Hashshashin

Kelp meal/powder is the bomb, as is cold-processed, enzymatically digested liquid kelp concentrates. I have the spot for all your organic needs especially top notch kelp meal for bottom dollar pricing.... Here is the link for peaceful Valley farm & garden supply................................ A 55 pound bag of Norwegian Ascophyllum Nodosum kelp meal for only $90 bucks!!!! You absolutely can't beat that. It works just as great as liquid concentrates and is great in Aerated compost teas too. If your an organic farmer than Peaceful Valley farm & Garden supply is a great place for very affordable organic goodies.

i've got to agree with you. Theres even a better process than enzymes however. Its called cell rupture and is used by a product called Kelpak, they just dont use Ascophyllum Nodosum for it. I like using powdered AN for making my own seakelp liquid that is prepared by enzymes but mostly through fermentation. People can find kelp meal at their local feed stores as its a supplement for animals and humans alike. Just try to make sure its Ascophyllum N. or your not getting all the benfits of AN which are mostly PGH and micros

if you dont feel comformtable making your own liquid nutes than you can just mix it into the soil. I also suggest using some source of silica in your grows as its a major constituent to cell multiplication.

Thank you everyone for your response i'm glad that some of you find the information useful. The MJ market is huge and people will throw money at nutrients because they claim so much. If people only realized that these arent miracle products just watered down half versions of real good products. If they offered the full they would have no nutrient lines just a single product. This is why i distrust PBP and LK after being an avid user of them. I mean their good and all, but their not great. Real organics have much better properties assocaited with the natural state. Processing removes lots of valuable materials be it PGH from seakelp or proteins and fats from Fish.

skwirlgirl

skwirlgirl

finally someone who knows the kelp meal miracle. Great post. Im about an hour away from the Peaceful Valley retail. Ever since I found out about the AN from someone working there it was game on for my soil grows.

Awesome place

Nice one Hashinin...

H

Hashshashin

Thanks skwirlgirl. I found the AN powder i use is very effective for different uses but works better in the soil. But whenever the plants are looking a little down a foliar feeding at night will do a whole lot for them.

H

hotrod68

Hashahashin, Any brands of AN you prefer over others or are they all pretty much the same?

HR68

H

Hashshashin

Well i dont suggest buying liquids because you can get much more off concentrate powders or making your own. If you must buy your own though i suggest Kelpak. For powders and meals most ascophyllum comes from the same place. There is a maker of soluble seaweed powder which is an extract and this is the one i highly suggest. It is easy to work with and you dont need to make your own extracts. Than again i got 3lbs of powder for 15 shipped vs 1lb of extract powder 13 shipped. Benefit of the the non-extract powder is you can mix it into your soil like kelp meal and it breaks down quickly and provides much to the rhizosphere over time. Its really up to you though, let me know if you have any questions.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Super nice thread guys.. very informative..
Need to bookmark this one..

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I picked up a bag the other day. Any suggestions on what rate to mix for a compost tea. I put in like a shovel full of compost, handful or two worm castings and 3 oz. molasses. wanted to add the AN. I have heard to use about 1 - 1.5 oz. for 5 gal H2O

Secondly i am just finishing my transition and want to start adding AN as a concentrate or in liquid form. Already too late to mix w/ soil obviously. What rate of mix for something for that. Something like Nitrozime strength is what i'm looking for.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Awesome Read man. Thx for taking the time to write it up.

H

Hashshashin

If you want a product like Nitrozimee i suggest you look into lactobacillus cultures. This combined with the sea kelp will give you a potent soil drench that has powerful bacteria that breaks down organic matter in the soil which is a good thing that releases nutrients. I'd suggest using about a cup of AN if your making batch's like that for Compost Tea. If making a fermented plant extract i.e. lactobacillus cultured extract of plant, the amount of AN necessary would depend on how strong you want the concentrate to be. I'd probably start at a cup per gallon since it will be a concentrate.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

Thanks for all the great info. I am going to make my ACT today but had a few more ?'s on the lactobacillus for making my extract . I already use GH's Sub-B (i know its not the same) and noticed of course it doesn't contain lactobacillus. Where can u buy a cheap source which is used for mixing in a fermented extract. I have noticed they use it a lot making lotions ect. but could not find a source for a pure form.

ps. I saw your other thread too, which didn't include using the bacillus when making the extract. I would love to use some, as it seems it should help the breakdown ect.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

Sorry I forgot to mention. I broke a side branch lately in the early stages of veg. (like week 2) when they were still really soft, while bending. It litterally almost snapped off, like only 10% still intact. I sprayed the inside of wound w/ nitrozime and taped it up. Still going strong some 3 days later. One other branch i broke and just taped up like usual died the next day. I knew AN was the shit but really couldn't believe this one.

H

Hashshashin

Thats what started me on using AN, i had a true sativa in a small space and had a super tight scrog. This use to help me anytime i would accidentally break something. I dont know of any source to buy lactobacillus, but you can make it easily. Granted this involves some nasty things like letting milk sit out for 10 days and scooping the protein off the top(yogurt)

budfriend

budfriend

can you use AN for hydro and does it have the same benifits. Would the product Miss Elvis suggested be a good choice for hydro you is there better?

thanks

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

One more thing my friend. Thank god my ole lady is in micro biology right now. gave me a better understanding of lactobacillus. anyway she didn't know how much i should add to the mix.
I will start off making a gallon. You said to use about 1 cup AN. Do you think that will be close to a Nitrozime strength? If so perfect. If not maybe you can give me an idea of how concentrated it will be. Of course i will play w/ it on my veggies first. Then how much of the lactobacillus i am going to make?

On a seperate note. Do you have the knowledge to make a dry concentrate from a culture. What i mean is, can we take something like Sub-B and do a large culture. Then dry it and keep the larger amount and keep doing the same thing over and over. Or does it some how change once it is brought to life and allowed to die/dry. How do they do it? The reason i ask is that my girlfriend has access to proper lab equipment and sterile environments at school. She always has projects and her professor lets them do just about whatever ties into their class.

Top Bottom