These bugs are infesting my plants and I can't get a solid identification, any help would be appreciated!

• Thread starter Studio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Studio

These bugs are infesting my plants and i cant get a solid identification any help would be app
These bugs are infesting my plants and i cant get a solid identification any help would be app
Midwest USA

S

Studio

That is shaped like a thrip.
Final answer.
But, thrips are tiny, like you need a magnifier to see clearly right?

Am I wrong about that? Conotelus is often mistaken for thrips and they look like thrips but are bigger.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Im not sure if you have it on your phone or not, but i use the google camera for bugs. It works pretty well.

If you aren't sure what im talking about i attached a photo.
Screenshot 20220920 075929

S

Studio

Im not sure if you have it on your phone or not, but i use the google camera for bugs. It works pretty well.

If you aren't sure what im talking about i attached a photo. View attachment 1283966
I'll give it a go. Thanks.

If these bugs are actually thrips, which I question because of their large size, will skirskii alone take care of the issue? I have several slow release skirskii mite bags on my plant.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I am a fan of diatomaceous earth. It’s all natural and you can put it in the soil and underside of your leaves during flowering. It saved me from my pests issues and DE will get rid of that kind of pest as well.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

If these bugs are actually thrips, which I question because of their large size, will skirskii alone take care of the issue? I have several slow release skirskii mite bags on my plant.
It does look like a possible thrip, i have been fortunate enough and havent had any bugs in the 4 years ive been growing so i dont even know what a skirskii is. I mean i have some treehoppers in my outdoor stuff but im not winning that fight so i gave up. I would take the DE approach as ive seen it recommended for bugs quite often and everyone seems happy with the results.

S

Studio

I am a fan of diatomaceous earth. It’s all natural and you can put it in the soil and underside of your leaves during flowering. It saved me from my pests issues and DE will get rid of that kind of pest as well.
I do have some DE. I hesitate to use it because I just put out swirskii - which are suppose to voraciously eat thrips and white flies.

I might have to go this route anyway though.

The conotelus bug is harmless to cannabis supposedly, and I quite suspect thats what these are. Hard to decide what action to take when you aren't sure what the bug is.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I do have some DE. I hesitate to use it because I just put out swirskii - which are suppose to voraciously eat thrips and white flies.

The conotelus bug is harmless to cannabis supposedly, and I quite suspect thats what these are. Hard to decide what action to take when you aren't sure what the bug is.
I prefer DE as it’s natural. It doesn’t cause any harm to animals, humans or worms if you’re in organic material. It only destroys soft shelled pests and the powder slices them open and dehydrated them from the outside in, it’s pretty gnarly. It also will get rid of any eggs. It’s great preventative and also helps when they’re already there.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Wreaks havoc on the lungs.
Well yeah if you’re spreading this stuff across huge landscapes without a breathing mask. Its always best to have mouth covering when dealing with any kind of agricultural dust material. I wouldn’t say go huff a big bag of it 😂

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I put a ring around the dirt of my plants with DE. Sometimes water will splash some on the leaves and it looks just like powdery mildew -FYI

S

Studio

Huge thanks to all the replies, even though I'm still not convinced it's thrips because of their size. Now, that being said, I DO think I have thrips which Is why I already had the Swirskii mites.

Whether these are thrips or conoletus, I'll try the DE next.

Heywood

Heywood

So the reason I gave the answer that I did... I used the picture you supplied of the varmint on your thumb, I clicked it to it's full resolution on my cell phone. I then used Google Lens to narrow down my focus on the picture to just the bug. Voila - It returns this as it's best choice... and it damn sure looks to me like that monster on your thumb. And yeah, there could be another, larger, look-alike bug... but I still like my answer.

Thrip

S

Studio

Thanks man, I'm going to treat them like thrips. to address them I've decided to opened my slow release swirskii mite packs so they become high rate release packs. I'm also picking off the little guys a couple times a day. After a few days of letting the Swirskii do their thing to see if they can control the population. If it IS thrips, the Swirskii should make an impact.

If it doesn't, well I'll just hit em with some DE and kill them all lol

Thanks for taking interest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom