This Is What Happens When Shit Gets Out Of Hand

• Thread starter muir
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

Small mountain community drama, lulz at that shit. Always seems like a very small group of people can cause a big noise and get their way since most of us aren't even paying attention. I like living a safe 5 miles from town (not Ned) with few neighbors and just ignore whats going on in town. Cost is the same as in town or even less to buy, just way less people to deal with. Plenty of spots to still get away from people on the Front Range and affordably, just be willing to drive 30 mins for groceries. Worth it for me and I go to Denver like once a year...couldn't be happier.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I'd be looking at little cabins off gravel roads up around Ward, Allenspark, Riverside, Raymond, Lyons, Pinewood Springs, Rollinsville, Masonville....the list goes on and on. The more inconvienient the location on the Front Range the more affordable and less bullshit. Buying is the only way, and heck you could probably have a nice greenhouse too!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

This is why I would not want to rent from individuals...you are paying this guy and he is living in the driveway? Individual property owners do not respect renters rights, would way rather deal with rental companies/corporations. Pay your bills and don't cause problems, they just leave you alone.
If you are not renting from an individual, you are renting (likely) from a property manager and if that company has locations in other states, then you will not be allowed to grow.

The apartment I live in is a owned by a multi-state corporation, and the other has a multi-state property management company.

Both leases have specific language that explicitly states that they do not allow consumption or even possession on the property, and that they refer to the US code and the illegality of marijuana at the national level. Since these are both private party transactions, I do not have any rights as a medical marijuana patient.

I would argue that the perfect landlord is one who lives out of state. It's getting harder and harder to find places that rent to growers. The few have ruined it for everyone else. Or, the perfect landlord would be yourself on your own property but I get that's not an option, even for me. I wish i had a farm.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
it was a very special place.

but there is so much turmoil that many longterm locals are upset enough to talk of getting rid of local police for BoCo Sheriffs and dissolving (how ever that's done) the municipality. Super vocal and vigorous anti-pot kick back right now. half the town seems to hate the other half
I know what you mean I live by a bunch of churchies and they don't like me either :)

xavier7995

xavier7995

If you are not renting from an individual, you are renting (likely) from a property manager and if that company has locations in other states, then you will not be allowed to grow.

The apartment I live in is a owned by a multi-state corporation, and the other has a multi-state property management company.

Both leases have specific language that explicitly states that they do not allow consumption or even possession on the property, and that they refer to the US code and the illegality of marijuana at the national level. Since these are both private party transactions, I do not have any rights as a medical marijuana patient.

I would argue that the perfect landlord is one who lives out of state. It's getting harder and harder to find places that rent to growers. The few have ruined it for everyone else. Or, the perfect landlord would be yourself on your own property but I get that's not an option, even for me. I wish i had a farm.

That is honestly a really good point.

When renting, I don't see growing as a right, it is more like having a pet, it is really at the discretion of the property owner. Medical is a different issue, but I am thinking more on the recreational side. I prefer to rent from places that obviously don't really care much as long as the rent is paid and you don't cause complaints with the neighbors. That ideal individual property owner is pretty hard to come by.

I think the real plus side is that it is like having a dog in a no pets apartment, the worst thing that happens is you get kicked out, you don't wind up in jail.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

That is honestly a really good point.

When renting, I don't see growing as a right, it is more like having a pet, it is really at the discretion of the property owner. Medical is a different issue, but I am thinking more on the recreational side. I prefer to rent from places that obviously don't really care much as long as the rent is paid and you don't cause complaints with the neighbors. That ideal individual property owner is pretty hard to come by.

I think the real plus side is that it is like having a dog in a no pets apartment, the worst thing that happens is you get kicked out, you don't wind up in jail.
I would not suggest voluntarily putting an eviction on your record, there are a lot of potential negative implications. No disrespect, but having a dog that is not allowed is not even in the same neighborhood as cultivating marijuana or openly consuming and/or possessing against the rules set forth by the landlord or the language in the lease. If you are still talking recreational, you are probably right, deny it til you die. However, I would not rent to a tenant who wanted to grow unless I had access to and the ability to inspect. I have seen too many dirty and dangerous things going on. I heard a hydro store selling multiple liters of bushload to a rec user who grew and also grew his own non-mj food. It was pretty alarming. Also, and although tenants don't like taking ownership, renters do not have the same respect for the property as the property owner, in nearly all cases. Obviously there are bad landlords and bad tenants, but openly defying the rules/lease of the place you live is not the right way to further our cause. Please understand I am not putting myself on a pedestal just discussing the multiple issues at hand. I don't have a dog in the fight but this is an interesting topic

I'm glad you understand that cultivation is a privilege and not a right. I wish more tenants shared the sentiment.

K

kuz

No disrespect, but having a dog that is not allowed is not even in the same neighborhood as cultivating marijuana or openly consuming and/or possessing against the rules set forth by the landlord or the language in the lease.

I'm glad you understand that cultivation is a privilege and not a right. I wish more tenants shared the sentiment.
That's right, the dog has much more potential to do damage to the property. lol

I am in the colorado forum arent I? Its legal here now.

scoop

scoop

It's totally legal IF you own the property. However, legal or not elsewhere in the State, each owner of real property has the right to decide if it is allowed on their property or not. If it isn't allowed on premises, your legality (across the board, med or rec) ends on the spot via the terms of the lease you signed that says "Nope, not here".

I share your sentiment. I'd rather my rental be empty.

420circuit

420circuit

Or landlords could make the changes themselves and offer rentals that have grow rooms with properly installed electrical upgrades, hard floors and ventilation ducting that exhausts through the roof. Sounds like a more expensive rent to me, just need to be prepared to accept cash. Adapt and thrive.:D

xavier7995

xavier7995

Please understand I am not putting myself on a pedestal just discussing the multiple issues at hand. I don't have a dog in the fight but this is an interesting topic

I just like to debate stuff, no pedestals:)

Legally, how is it different than having a dog? You get caught, at best, you get the option of either getting rid of the dog and staying or taking the dog and leaving. Worst case they say you need to leave at the end of the month or whatever. This is of course assuming you have a little tent with the legal number of rec plants. Within reason, landlords can establish whatever rules they want, the most they can do is evict or perhaps pursue legal damages if you really destroy the place. Never even paid my rent late, so no clue if getting evicted has repercussions I am not aware of.

Grow friendly rentals seem to charge a hefty premium, I guess that could be compared to the additional security deposit and increase in rent you get for having a pet. I actually did take a look at a couple, man I got the feeling I was getting set up to get robbed or the rent they were asking was so ridiculous it just didn't make sense.

I have seen both sides of the fence and do concur that renters suck and don't take care of the place in general. It would be fantastic if a happy medium could be found, but there really doesn't seem to be one. Rules are rules, while your dog might be great, the next guy might have one that eats carpet and barks all night, outside of private owners, it would not be possible to evaluate on a case by case basis.

We are going way off topic from the issues that are hitting that pretty mountain town, would love to keep going but we should prolly IM for that:) I was scoping out housing options and looked in the nederland area and cracked up at some of the obvious marketing towards growers. While the market seems super inflated overall, there still seemed to be some reasonably priced places up in the hills. I wonder what the necessary mix is for these haven towns to spring up, they are glorious until everyone finds out about them:) There was a town near where I went to college that was similar, just an old hippy town that was a wonderful beautiful place, but both my college town and that town kind of went to shit and the people that came because it was amazing ruined them both.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Or landlords could make the changes themselves and offer rentals that have grow rooms with properly installed electrical upgrades, hard floors and ventilation ducting that exhausts through the roof. Sounds like a more expensive rent to me, just need to be prepared to accept cash. Adapt and thrive.:D
Most insurance claims will be denied if growing is involved(read the fine print)so a landlord who ALLOWS someone to grow in their property also risks losing everything even if everything is up to code if their is a fire,flood etc. Not sure how that would work if the landlord was not aware of the grow?ignorance could be bliss in that case.
I had a grower fubar a rental of ours a few years back and it cost 15k to fix it,if i didnt do all the work myself would have been 30k.I got a judgement against him but he never paid a dime of it and he has been calling lately because he wants to buy a home with his new wife but the judgement is fucking him from getting a Loan,I told him pay me my money and all is forgotten but so far nothing.

K

kuz

I'm saying there are a lot of landlords out there that overreact just because its marijuana. thats what I just went through, couple of plants, very careful not to do any damage to the property. But because it was pot there had to be something bad about growing it.

A lot of people moving here just to grow, no doubt this will become more of an issue. Some plan to get rich others just want a few plants for a personal grow. I see 12 plant limits and special use permits practically everywhere before too long.

At what point does the electric company flag you? Personally I wouldnt put something bigger than a six light bloom in a residential, and I never even had more than three I dont think.

muir

muir

I have a real estate background, until Jan I had an employing broker's license. Every year the real estate commission makes changes to contracts (disclosures, regs, etc.....) addressing emergent issues. I would look for the RE industry to introduce a "grow house" disclosure before to long.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have a real estate background, until Jan I had an employing broker's license. Every year the real estate commission makes changes to contracts (disclosures, regs, etc.....) addressing emergent issues. I would look for the RE industry to introduce a "grow house" disclosure before to long.

I used to own a house in a non legal state, when I was house hunting that coulda been helpful. One place was great....but they had clearly been running grows and then just cut out the lights and such when they left. The home inspector was just like "wtf" and they had basically made the entire house into fire hazard by re routing electrical themselves and filling the crawl spaces with just open live wires everywhere.

K

kuz

I was just talking to a friend in Denver, he leased a condo in a new complex, one of those they build out just to lease, and they told him he was free to grow. Weird, use to be flat out no growing right in the lease.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Rerouting and adding wiring was but one of the ways our tenant destroyed our home (and he could have caused a fire to boot, it was really, REALLY nasty to look at).
I had a grower fubar a rental of ours a few years back and it cost 15k to fix it,if i didnt do all the work myself would have been 30k.I got a judgement against him but he never paid a dime of it and he has been calling lately because he wants to buy a home with his new wife but the judgement is fucking him from getting a Loan,I told him pay me my money and all is forgotten but so far nothing.
Same here. I will never be a landlord again. He DESTROYED the home. We weren't able to take the time to handle all the damage he did ourselves, we had to hire someone local who did a very good job. Dude skipped out and we couldn't find him, so I couldn't even get the judgment against him (you know I would have, too).
I'm curious why you let your broker's license go.

muir

muir

I'm curious why you let your broker's license go.

Because I hate buyers, sellers and realtors........ and I don't give a fuck about your kitchen.
and I've never been hungry enough to overcome those issues and be the whore it takes to be a good realtor.

I have been building a friendship with the commercial broker helping me buy my property and am considering getting into the commercial side, which I should have done instead of residential.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Because I hate buyers, sellers and realtors........ and I don't give a fuck about your kitchen.
and I've never been hungry enough to overcome those issues and be the whore it takes to be a good realtor.

I have been building a friendship with the commercial broker helping me buy my property and am considering getting into the commercial side, which I should have done instead of residential.

See its the People that make it suck in the end,......"and i don't give a fuck about your kitchen" says it all!

muir

muir

when you work with good people, it's a great and fun job. most folks think it's easy and your over paid. People get all emotional and stressed, dealing with emotionally stressed people for your job sucks IMO. The market around boulder is so bad right now that a high end realtor friend of mine just told me of an offer he made for a client that was 20% over list price. He never even got a call back from the listing broker. In todays market if you don't have cash and need a loan you likely won't be able to get under contract. I personally don't run in those type of circles.

I cannot wait to get the fuck off the front range and as far away from Boulder as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom