• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Former Blackwater gets rich as Afghan drug production hits record high

Opium poppy cultivation is up in Afghanistan despite the infamous mercenary firm formerly known as Blackwater being paid $569m by the Pentagon to stop it

An Afghan farmer harvests in an opium poppy field in Jalalabad, Afghanistan on 27 March 2015. Afghanistan is listed as world’s largest opium producer. Photograph: Ghulamullah Habibi/EPA
Spencer Ackerman

@attackerman
Tuesday 31 March 2015 12.13 EDT

In a war full of failures, the US counternarcotics mission in Afghanistan stands out: opiate production has climbed steadily over recent years to reach record-high levels last year.

Yet one clear winner in the anti-drug effort is not the Afghan people, but the infamous mercenary company formerly known as Blackwater.

Statistics released on Tuesday reveal that the rebranded private security firm, known since 2011 as Academi, reaped over a quarter billion dollars from the futile Defense Department push to eradicate Afghan narcotics, some 21% of the $1.5 bn in contracting money the Pentagon has devoted to the job since 2002.

The company is the second biggest beneficiary of counternarcotics largesse in Afghanistan. Only the defense giant Northrop Grumman edged it out, with $325m.

According to the US inspector general for Afghanistan “reconstruction”, the $309m Academi got from US taxpayers paid for “training, equipment, and logistical support” to Afghan forces conducting counternarcotics, such as “the Afghan National Interdiction Unit, the Ministry of Interior, and the Afghan Border Police”.

Far from eradicating the deep-rooted opiate trade, US counternarcotics efforts have proven useless, according to a series of recent official inquiries. Other aspects of the billions that the US has poured into Afghanistan over the last 13 years of war have even contributed to the opium boom.

Advertisement
In December, the United Nations reported a 60% growth in Afghan land used for opium poppy cultivation since 2011, up to 209,000 hectares. The estimated $3bn value of Afghan heroin and morphine represents some 15% of Afghan GDP.

“Given the growth in opium poppy cultivation, it must be assumed that the Taliban’s income from the illegal trade in narcotics has remained an important factor in generating assets for the group,” the United Nations reported.

That same month, the US inspector general for Afghanistan warned that the opium trade would surely rise as international aid money flees the country with the winding down of the war. Yet the inspector general also noted that US reconstruction projects, particularly those devoted to “improved irrigation, roads, and agricultural assistance” were probably leading to the explosion in opium cultivation.

“[A]ffordable deep-well technology turned 200,000 hectares of desert in southwestern Afghanistan into arable land over the past decade,” the inspector general found, concluding that “much of this newly arable land is dedicated to opium cultivation”.

Academi and its former Blackwater incarnation have an infamous history in Afghanistan. It once set up shell companies to disguise its business practices, according to a Senate report, so that its contracts would be unimpeded by company employees’ killings of Iraqi and Afghan civilians.

Blackwater’s founder, Erik Prince, sold the company – then renamed “Xe” – in 2010. Under new ownership, the firm occasionally gestures toward emphasizing its original business training military and police personnel, but it has never quite divested itself of its security contracting business.

In 2010, Blackwater was one of a group of firms selected by the State Department for its $10bn contract to protect its diplomats worldwide, precisely the mission Blackwater performed when its agents opened fire on Iraqi civilians at Baghdad’s Nisour Square in 2007 and turned the company into the ugly face of private security. The following year, the firm’s newly installed CEO pledged, “We’re not backing away from security services.”

A spokesman for Academi’s parent company, the Constellis Group, said that the current firm had separated itself from its Blackwater ancestry.

“When the ownership of Constellis Group purchased our Moyock, N.C. training facility in 2010, Blackwater as the world knew it ceased to exist,” said spokesman Tom McCuin.

“Since then, the new ownership, through a completely new management team, have worked diligently to establish a reputation for competence and accountability. I realize that for many skeptics, we have a long way to go toward winning their trust, and that for some, nothing we do will ever change their view. I can only reiterate how committed we are to delivering what we promise.”

• This article was amended on Thursday 2 April. Since publication, the US Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction significantly revised its estimates of US counternarcotics contracting totals. This article has been updated accordingly.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The whole thing is a friggn illusion anyway. If we wanted to eradicate the heroin coming into America we would have razed those poppy fields when we had boots on the ground. I cringed when I saw pics of our troops walking calmly thru the fields and did nothing about it. We had to remain politically correct I guess.

In the meantime we continue to have people all over our country die from heroin, poppy, opiate related deaths all the while someone is getting filthy rich of four misery!!! Whatever

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

Anyone heard of the off grid rabbit wholes, something about a special search engine to find data that is usually filtered by governments like China, Cuba, US, Russia blah blah not blue places...you heard it first.
Nazar Battu

Last edited:
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Mercenary army protecting an industrial money source.

I don't have to see the news or hear it on the radio, I see balloons in the street everywhere I go. Junk is huge in America right now

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@NaturalTherapy I hear you on that brother I have an addict daughter slowly dieing from the garbage we let in.

they say the drug problem is a "Demand" issue. I say secure the F$$$$$$$ borders and stop it before it gets here. Burn them poppies to the ground!!!!

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellis_Group

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_Provisional_Authority

Critics of the CPA argue that these policies were not only rather blatant attempts to shape Iraq's economy in the interests of American (and other) investors and against the interests of Iraqis themselves, but also that they were illegal under international law, because an occupying power is prohibited from rewriting the laws of the occupied country.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Advisory_and_Monitoring_Board

The rabbit wholes our far and few, don't take it from me, take it from Nazar Battu

Last edited:
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
@NaturalTherapy I hear you on that brother I have an addict daughter slowly dieing from the garbage we let in.
Breaks my heart to hear. I narrowly avoided death from addiction, but too many of the closest friends did not.

It's a cynical view, but I can't shake the feeling that what happened to China via the East India trading company, is now happening here. Addict and enslave a nation of people on heroin, then elect a ruthless leader (Mao) to further subjugate the weak and the addicts, and literally kill off any dissent.

War is just industry. We don't fight for any moral reasons anymore...shit, maybe we never did. Or is it just coincidence that oil men have waged war in the most oil rich lands of the world?

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

The whole thing is a friggn illusion anyway. If we wanted to eradicate the heroin coming into America we would have razed those poppy fields when we had boots on the ground. I cringed when I saw pics of our troops walking calmly thru the fields and did nothing about it. We had to remain politically correct I guess.

In the meantime we continue to have people all over our country die from heroin, poppy, opiate related deaths all the while someone is getting filthy rich of four misery!!! Whatever
Afghanistan cash crop used to be cannabis, us soldiers were ordered to cut them down and force the afghans to grow poppy......then us soldiers help smuggle opium to finance Afghan resistence against Russia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Afghanistan

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

This great book exposed the CIA in 1972 of running the heroin business in SE Asia using front companies. When the government got involved in large scale cocaine and heroin trafficking the price plummeted and and purity skyrocketed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Politics_of_Heroin_in_Southeast_Asia

• "We have to continue to fight the evil of Communism, and to fight you must have an army, and an army must have guns, and to buy guns you must have money. In these mountains the only money is opium." General Tuan Shi-wen, commander of the Kuomintang Fifth Army (based in the Golden Triangle), as quoted by McCoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom