Those cheap Amazon digital hygrometers?

• Thread starter Saul.Goodman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
So as I am preparing for harvesting my Bruce Banner grow (Currently on day 60). This plant is supposed to be a 63-70 day auto. The buds are still getting larger and the trichomes are just getting more cloudy. A few, like ~1/100,000 have a light amberish glow.

My plant is totally not ready to have the plug pulled on her yet but she has to give up soon to give my next two seedlings room 😑.

I have six 32oz wide mouth jars and 8 of the Boveda (62% RH) humidor packs. I was thinking of buying these cheap little digital Chinese hygrometers off Amazon to be able to monitor the RH and wondered what experiences people had with them.

What do you use while curing to control RH if it's something different or a different method?

growsince79

growsince79

So as I am preparing for harvesting my Bruce Banner grow (Currently on day 60). This plant is supposed to be a 63-70 day auto. The buds are still getting larger and the trichomes are just getting more cloudy. A few, like ~1/100,000 have a light amberish glow.

My plant is totally not ready to have the plug pulled on her yet but she has to give up soon to give my next two seedlings room 😑.

I have six 32oz wide mouth jars and 8 of the Boveda (62% RH) humidor packs. I was thinking of buying these cheap little digital Chinese hygrometers off Amazon to be able to monitor the RH and wondered what experiences people had with them.

What do you use while curing to control RH if it's something different or a different method?
I use brown paper bag if its low humidity. I just judge by feel and burn.

Ponky

Ponky

A smoke test.

TSD

TSD

I mostly go by feel, but use the hydrometers as insurance... they're not 100% accurate, but if you give the jar a solid 24 hours closed, you'll get a pretty good idea. Brown bag technique helps the curing process and brings out the smell better, imo.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I use brown paper bag if its low humidity. I just judge by feel and burn.
I used brown paper bags back in the early 2000's but remember back then I didn't cure it long enough. It still had that Alfalfa smell to it. I mean it still got me high though.

A smoke test.

That's not really an answer IMO. You can smoke fresh dried bud and still get high.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
So background: Prior to this current grow, the last time I was growing was back in 2005-2007. I had to stop due to personal reasons and never picked it back up because of legalities and things in my life I valued more. Now it's legal here so FTW 🤣. Back then growing was so limited for the noob on a budget....lol

Early 2000 Check list:

1: Bag seed
2: Soil
3: A 5gal bucket
4: Tinfoil
5: 4' Fluorescent lights
6: CFLs
7: Timers
8: Rose Tone fertilizer

Things have gotten more complex since then...Lol. 🤣😂

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

I used brown paper bags back in the early 2000's but remember back then I didn't cure it long enough. It still had that Alfalfa smell to it. I mean it still got me high though.

That's not really an answer IMO. You can smoke fresh dried bud and still get high.
No I mean you smoke a tester each day after as soon as it burns and use that to gauge when you want to start sweating it. For me thats usually when the outside is crisp and dry. And rolls a joint that burns white. But it has a moist stem still. Then I bag and burp it until it's done. If you're doing a long term cure that's different. I'm talking about weed that's bagged and smoked within a month. For long term storage I use oxygen absorbing packets and heat sealed bags. Lasts for months and months that way.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Put the meters in a sealed baggie along with a bottle cap of salt and a bit of water on the salt.

Meters should read 75% after 24 hrs.

I use them to satisfy what I'm thinking. No need for the boveda unless you miss.
Aka screw up.

growsince79

growsince79

Agree and it will taste good. If you gotta wait 2 months to make it taste good it sucks. Not saying a good cure doesn't help...it does. But if it ain't great right away it will never be stellar.

Ponky

Ponky

I find if it's dry in less than 8 days the taste is negatively affected. I feel like 14 days then bag and burp seems to work out the best. With peak flavor hitting in about a month post Chop. And if you keep some long term curing and you do it right at 3 months it seems to be the best smoke for actually making clouds of dank smoke. As it burns a bit faster giving you a bigger draw. But I'm still experimenting with long term storage and curing. 6 months plus. Etc.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’ve been using these T&H meters from Mondi that have also record max and min T &H. I usually hang dry for 5-10 days then paper bag for 3-5 days then jar and burp as needed (usually not much after drying). I put a meter in a jar for 24 hrs to get sense of T&H levels. When H is about 55% at 65 F I’m done monitoring. Was curious how two meters compared side by side and was quite impressed with their accuracy. I also mounted one on exterior of paper bag so I could monitor interior conditions with bag closed. Meters are $18 each.

9BE2ECF8 9A83 4D65 87AC BC8FFF34B94B
F70E96A6 4764 4DE9 8D04 73305CE585B0
312A14FA 74AC 4523 B8F8 2B712BD72050
155C50E5 010E 4411 A425 E34180212B4C
growsince79

growsince79

$18 each? Holy shit batman, I just bought a 6 pack of the other brand for $14. There all pretty close 1-2%

MTLEADER

MTLEADER

I have a couple of them that your asking about and I use them in my mason jars they seem to work just fine I bought mine from Ebay though.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

That’s a good deal. Do they record max and mins? I only need a couple for short term monitoring.

growsince79

growsince79

That's basically my questions. Thanks for duplicating it.

No, should there be really when you are trying to maintain a static RH?

NEXT.....
If the buds are dry enough to cure they stabilize pretty quick. Don't really need a min max unless your monitoring rooms and tents.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
If the buds are dry enough to cure they stabilize pretty quick. Don't really need a min max unless your monitoring rooms and tents.
Can you please elaborate on this for the masses my friend?

growsince79

growsince79

Can you please elaborate on this for the masses my friend?
I wait till I can trim without tools-hands only and put them in a jar. Don't really need a hygrometer. You can put one in it goes to 61 ina few minutes. The next day its 61 or 62 or 60- perfect don't even want or need them in the jars. Not sure if battery acid smells can leak into buds and no reason to find out.

Top Bottom