Those Hanging Drying Racks... Like...

• Thread starter XxHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
crossfader

crossfader

I've got one of those but only used it once, I didn't like that the buds were flattened a bit from laying on the screen. I find chopping and hanging the branches from the top of my grow tent works much better for me.

I've never had an issue drying in the tent, I just kept fan/filter on low and it takes care of the odor plus it definitely helps dry buds quick (for me)✌

XxHammer

XxHammer

I've got one of those but only used it once, I didn't like that the buds were flattened a bit from laying on the screen. I find chopping and hanging the branches from the top of my grow tent works much better for me.

I've never had an issue drying in the tent, I just kept fan/filter on low and it takes care of the odor plus it definitely helps dry buds quick (for me)✌

Thank you for the advice.

What do you use to hang the branches? you just get some string and tie em' up?

I think drying in my tent will work especially well since I have the Portable AC hooked up to it and can keep the tent nice and cool. Plus the humidity here is low

XxHammer

XxHammer

So you go from hanging them to jars? or bags? what do you do?

I was tentatively planning to get some of those Humidity packs from my local cigar shop or online (the packs that keep the rH at 62) and using Mason Jars. I was reading/watching about a few people who put the buds into paper bags or a cardboard box for a couple days after trimming and prior to putting them into jars for curing....

crossfader

crossfader

There's different methods, try what will work best for you. I dried my buds in the tent for a week and when the stems snapped clean, put them in a mason jar and burped them for 10-15 min a day until I get the proper mix of humidity and dryness that suits me. (They've only been in the jar for a week) Of course you must sample every few days to see how things are turning out😉

I've also dried with the paper bag method too. Works very well. The drying rack worked great too...I just hated seeing buds develop flat spots.

XxHammer

XxHammer

There's different methods, try what will work best for you. I dried my buds in the tent for a week and when the stems snapped clean, put them in a mason jar and burped them for 10-15 min a day until I get the proper mix of humidity and dryness that suits me. (They've only been in the jar for a week) Of course you must sample every few days to see how things are turning out😉

I am going this route.

So once you obtain the desired level of ripeness and flavor... you just take out the humidity packs and leave it in the mason jars for storage??

I am a bit concerned about storing the bud once it is dried and cured. Do you vac' seal bags?

logdog

logdog

I use them and like them. Ive hung them on fishing line too both methods work well.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

I have one and it's more work than it's worth. Get a clothes hanger chop whole plant and hang like this. Hook lowest branch thru hanger.
IMG 20210514 205730026

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Hang hole plant,
Temp 65-68F
Humidity 55%
will take 10-14 days to properly dry
Dry trim
Mason jar 3/4 full
Burp every day for 2-3 week
Then once a month after that

XxHammer

XxHammer

Hang hole plant,
Temp 65-68F
Humidity 55%
will take 10-14 days to properly dry
Dry trim
Mason jar 3/4 full
Burp every day for 2-3 week
Then once a month after that
Do not use humidity packs in mason jars it is not needed if you dry properly

I live in Arizona and my humidity is normally like 5-10%... I was a worried I might need the packs to stop the bud from curing too fast... What do you think?

But the 1st post is perfect. Thank you. You recommend Quart-size jars also?

My only concern with hanging the plants and wanting to possibly use a Dryinf Rack was not having enough room in the 3x3 tent for 4 plants but im sure I will figure it out.

XxHammer

XxHammer

The remaining moisture inside the buds will create the humidity inside the canning jars? This is part of why you burp daily? (And gas exchange)

logdog

logdog

The remaining moisture inside the buds will create the humidity inside the canning jars? This is part of why you burp daily? (And gas exchange)
I use stainless steel storage containers now and they are nice but definitely pricy, but I used quart mason jars for years and they work well just store in a relatively cool and most importantly dark spot. When I first "jar" them I check them multiple times a day and burp them often after about two weeks maybe a little more they get pretty stable then I burp every other day or so. Once they hit around 60% on those little hydrometers and they aren't climbing very much when sealed up I use the humidity packs for long term storage, I have used both the 58 and 62% packs and personally prefer the 62 but if you like yours a little drier go with the 58. I think they keep longer with the packs than without but not everybody likes them, I have heard people say they suck up the smells and effect taste, that hasn't been my experience. I think some people get into trouble with the humidity packs when they use them right off the bat to draw down moisture as a short cut to curing. I keep them jarred and just burp (I leave lids off 15-30 minutes) if my hydrometers are reading 68% or under when sealed up, over 70% I dump them out for an hour or so then back in the jar. My ambient humidity levels are usually in 40 to 60 percent range so in your environment you may want to shorten your burp times and take care they don't get too dry before you jar them up.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
have you looked into Grove Bags with Terp-Loc? great reviews. no burping needed.

they recommend drying by hanging, and then sweat it using a paper bag, then put into the grove bag and no burping or anything.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I've tried those drying racks and like others don't like how gravity flattens the buds. I've also made racks from screen, done string tied up in large boxes, and probably a few more I can't remember. Then I saw a grower use laundry hangers for socks and delicate ladies underwear and realized sometimes the best things for weed have nothing to do with weed at all

Hangers

Hang dry

The clip on the top hooks onto tent rails perfectly and there's so many clips I can usually fit an entire plant on one rack.
Hang it all up, set the temps for 65, turn on the air purifier and the air scrubber, wait 2-3 weeks, then seal it up. I also vac seal 4oz per bag and cold cure in a mini fridge. Sometimes I use Boveda packs if I have them or remembered to order them but have found I can nail the cure without them too so if I don;t have any it's no big deal

IMG 2734

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom