Thoughts about the people involved

• Thread starter Harpua88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hi. It seems like this is the best topic/place for this, "activists corner", but I'm curious about peoples' thoughts on Arjan (I won't go last names because I don't know what the rules are), vs. someone like Scott....It seems as if there are a relatively small number of people (naturally), that were around 35, 45+ years ago, that worked with or were "original" growers/breeders.......of course some people, like Neville, aren't with us any more, but like most other areas in life, there are good people, people who care, aren't greedy........and people who don't care, and even take advantage There are going to be snobs around "original genetics", I can understand keeping some things closer to the vest so to speak, but that's not the same as hoarding, lying, or only looking for profit. I assume there are various camps, people who side with different players for whatever reasons......they key being to find out who the good and not so good people are....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
.... What is the question? Who are good people?
I'm looking for other peoples' opinions on who are the good guys, and not......I mentionrd a couple of people, there are others. Who's worth getting good seeds from, Who's only in it for the money, who to avoid.......I'm talking more about people, not like a list of good seeds sites. I've done good homework....

tobh

tobh

Supporter
No one's a good guy. Everyone's a scumbag.
This.

You have to remember 35+ years ago, and even up to today, there has been a near global prohibition on cannabis. Arjan, Gypsy, Scott, Neville, fuck, even Emery, were all operating in a black market. Some had good intentions, but at the end of the day had to operate in uncool ways simply for the sake of self-preservation.

It's been about 20 years now iirc when overgrow was raided. A lot of "good" players were taken down since the DEA ran their servers as a dragnet for a while after they seized the servers. Then you had the likes of GC and ICMag which collectively harbored any refugees that weren't arrested as a part of the OG collapse. Many of those subsequently ended up falling into the void due to the powers at those sites either drinking too much of the tea and going mad *cough*gypsy*cough* or were arrested due to opsec issues.

Today we have the likes of MMS and Katsu that claim to do "good" work but don't stand behind it. They're fine charging $200+ per seed pack but when 0/6 germinate, they put it on the vendor to deal with. Conversely we have Jeff who stands behind his gear and produces stable genetics -- not single run reversed fem only genetics with catchy kid candy names.

The truth is until prohibition is gone, anyone operating in this space, home grower to commercial breeder, operates on the margins of society, and they will act accordingly when their perceptions drive them to be some kind of way. Don't be fooled into the "good" or "bad" camp, make your own opinions. TBH I wouldn't touch any of the OG genetics at this point unless we're talking about heirloom cultivars from particular regions of the world. I don't want an original skunk, or blueberry, or og kush. Anything like that is guaranteed suffering from being genetically tired at this point, at least without being crossed with something to re-introduce vigor. Once you hit F5+ generations on seeds, the line will start to get tired and lose diversity.

TL;DR: people suck, especially in cannabis, and you're better off growing what you like and fuck anyone else's opinions of you or anyone else.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

OP. I'm gathering that you want to know who the benevolent seed suppliers are from the greedy bastards?

TOBH is spot on. Depends on that persons situation at that time. Many would be "Activists" become money hungry a-holes whose morals go out the window the moment portraits of ol' Ben Franklin get waved in their faces.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
OP. I'm gathering that you want to know who the benevolent seed suppliers are from the greedy bastards?

TOBH is spot on. Depends on that persons situation at that time. Many would be "Activists" become money hungry a-holes whose morals go out the window the moment portraits of ol' Ben Franklin get waved in their faces.
Yeah, pretty much. The irony being that I'm not just looking to find out who to get from......I can already tell that Arjan seems a little douch-y... ;). Reputation matters. But it's just as much that I'd like to get an idea of who the better people are as I learn more about how things are today...

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You mean "hubba bubba strawberry gelato ice cream cake x purple dragon acid fire x screaming pelican OG kush" isn't a good strain name? :P
Until someone crosses
hubba bubba strawberry gelato ice cream cake x purple dragon acid fire x screaming pelican OG kush" .......with Mr. Monster cookie frosty sizzurp Peter Sellers starfruit snow cone supernova....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
This.

You have to remember 35+ years ago, and even up to today, there has been a near global prohibition on cannabis. Arjan, Gypsy, Scott, Neville, fuck, even Emery, were all operating in a black market. Some had good intentions, but at the end of the day had to operate in uncool ways simply for the sake of self-preservation.

It's been about 20 years now iirc when overgrow was raided. A lot of "good" players were taken down since the DEA ran their servers as a dragnet for a while after they seized the servers. Then you had the likes of GC and ICMag which collectively harbored any refugees that weren't arrested as a part of the OG collapse. Many of those subsequently ended up falling into the void due to the powers at those sites either drinking too much of the tea and going mad *cough*gypsy*cough* or were arrested due to opsec issues.

Today we have the likes of MMS and Katsu that claim to do "good" work but don't stand behind it. They're fine charging $200+ per seed pack but when 0/6 germinate, they put it on the vendor to deal with. Conversely we have Jeff who stands behind his gear and produces stable genetics -- not single run reversed fem only genetics with catchy kid candy names.

The truth is until prohibition is gone, anyone operating in this space, home grower to commercial breeder, operates on the margins of society, and they will act accordingly when their perceptions drive them to be some kind of way. Don't be fooled into the "good" or "bad" camp, make your own opinions. TBH I wouldn't touch any of the OG genetics at this point unless we're talking about heirloom cultivars from particular regions of the world. I don't want an original skunk, or blueberry, or og kush. Anything like that is guaranteed suffering from being genetically tired at this point, at least without being crossed with something to re-introduce vigor. Once you hit F5+ generations on seeds, the line will start to get tired and lose diversity.

TL;DR: people suck, especially in cannabis, and you're better off growing what you like and fuck anyone else's opinions of you or anyone else.
I hear you on all of this, but at the end of the day, character matters, caring matters.......it may not make you big money or allow you to crown yourself, but hey, the beautiful thing about what we do is that it's a lot like craft beer. You don't have to drink a single Budweiser or Coors, there's wonderful smaller choices, heck......you can even make your own..... ;). So let the a-holes do their thing, or better yet.......find out who the a-holes are so we can avoid them, find out who the good guys are, we can support them.......the more we know the better.

the rrock

the rrock

I know a ton of stand up/stand behind breeders,although 90% dont use a computer.MrGreenGene is on top of the list that does.I Trust him completely.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Yeah, pretty much. The irony being that I'm not just looking to find out who to get from......I can already tell that Arjan seems a little douch-y... ;). Reputation matters. But it's just as much that I'd like to get an idea of who the better people are as I learn more about how things are today...
I’ve found Arjan to be a stand up guy. You can’t believe everything you hear. Of course I’ve only met him a few times and always in the context of he’s been a friend of Dutch friends of mine.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I’ve found Arjan to be a stand up guy. You can’t believe everything you hear. Of course I’ve only met him a few times and always in the context of he’s been a friend of Dutch friends of mine.
Thanks. There's the "public perception" but that could be different than how someone really is......there's potential bias on both sides, but these are judgement calls.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I know a ton of stand up/stand behind breeders,although 90% dont use a computer.MrGreenGene is on top of the list that does.I Trust him completely.
I can only imagine the kind of lifestyles people had to live years ago......especially larger guerrilla growers......the risks they took, the sacrifices, the stress, especially near harvest time, that had to be brutal....do you wait 3 more days? 7? It will ne souch better, but......

Helicopters, bugs, sickness ......

I don't think I've heard of Mr. Gene, but I will check him out. Thank you. And if he's a good guy, he's worth supporting..

Latest posts

Top Bottom