Thrips to black spots to leaf tips curling up in week 4 flower

• Thread starter Turkish980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I could totally be wrong, I'm just going by Ye Olde VPD Chart of Googling. 😄

View attachment 988322

If that's right, then the protective wax has been stripped from the leaf tips. Maybe exacerbated by the thrips and overfeeding?
frankly I don't really pay too much attention to vpd because in my opinion at most it may slow down growth a bit but I've never seen it have an effect like this on a plant

Have had humidity in the low 20 sometimes and yesterday my temperatures were 88° and my plants are beautiful

I think it might possibly be something fungal or bacterial like Mr chemistry said, depending on what OP's next slurry test is. This is a bit of a puzzle

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yeah there's a lot of talk about that frankly I don't really pay too much attention to it I have humidity in the low 20 sometimes and yesterday my temperatures were 88 and my plants are beautiful I think it might be something fungal or bacterial depending on what his next slurry test is but don't go please this is the fucking puzzle right here I lost sleep because of this one right here

It could definitely be something fungal or bacterial, maybe colonizing where the leaves have been made vulnerable?

From an article by Todd McCormick on PM, actually posted by @jaguarlax here a bit ago:

"What I feel that happens is that, in a dry environment, the cuticle layer of wax/oil that accumulates on the leaf surface, dries up and causes the leaf to no longer work. Leafs have small pores that open and close in order to release oxygen and take in carbon dioxide, they are called stoma or stomata. And much like your own lips, stomata don't work as well when they are dried up. Once this cuticle layer of wax is dried off of the leaf, it is gone forever.

When a leaf is supple and pliable it is most healthy and has a thick coating of cuticle layer wax on its leaves, this wax serves as a protectant against everything from insects and UV, to powdery mildew and more. Science is only beginning to understand the important role that the cuticle layer of wax plays in a plant’s overall health."

Turkish980

Turkish980

I have been useing fox farm for 9 years, you have to add pearlite for airation or your mix will be to heavy, you want it nice and spongy so the roots can grow well, yea they put a bit of pearlite in mix but not enough on its own you have to add more when you make up your mix, as far as thrips are you shure, if so you have to address that problem imedidetley, i was running gelato and somehow got thrips, i put a micro drop of dawn in a spray bottle and gave plant a bath, i allso let my soil dry and sprinkled de earth around plant and left for 72 hours i even dusted all the fans useing a piece of tissue, de eath is dust and must be kept dry or it wont work, after 72 hours flush plant lightly and check ph. This plant had thrips and that is how i cured the problem. De earth is organic and will kill any bug with an exoskeleton if used correctly it can be bought at any hardware store and is dirt cheap, the dawn bath made the leaves unpalatable to the thrips, that and the de cured problem.

Will look into the extra perlite ty. Yes I did have thrips, but I haven't seen any in days now.

FYI, I haven't seen thrips since the last treatment, just posting so ppl can see that I had at one point

20200609 194629
Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It could definitely be something fungal or bacterial, maybe colonizing where the leaves have been made vulnerable?
Mr. K work with me here, this is a puzzle and frankly I'm stumped

The possibilities I see is that he's locked out low PH High PPM &burning the plants

he sprayed something

he has some type of a root infection or parasite or bug

it's a bacterial or fungal infection

Or possible combination

..that really narrows it down right!?! oh my God🤦‍♂️

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

My very amateur preliminary hypothesis is that overfeeding and the environment made the leaves grow faster than they were capable of while maintaining moisture. They're curling because they're growing from the center of the leaf while the perimeter of the leaf is shrinking.

Also there might be baby thrips on that last picture.

Turkish980

Turkish980

Mr. K work with me here, this is a puzzle and frankly I'm stumped

The possibilities I see is that he's locked out low PH High PPM &burning the plants

he sprayed something

he has some type of a root infection or parasite or bug

it's a bacterial or fungal infection

Or possible combination

..that really narrows it down right!?! oh my God🤦‍♂️

Oh it's not just me? I know I'm new to it but for a while I kept associating a symptom to something else than I was the day before lol. I can't figure out if I got a combo of issues, or it's one thing. The thrips I believe are gone after my last organocide treatment, Unless theya re just really hiding out. The black dots did worry me. One person zoomed in and said looked like eaten plant matter. I agreed. Other leaves have the black dots tho too, and the ones curling, so not sure what that's about. I'm hoping nothing Fungal. But I did get this plant from a friend who apparent runs a dirty grow in his closet. Thrips, mites, etc. I've only found thrips and I spent days and many many leaves looking under a microscope. 60-120x. Only ever saw thrips so not sure.

The friend it went to as an inbetween treated it for me before handing it over and then I treated maybe twice while in veg. Being new, I didn't realize the importance of preventative spraying.

I'll check the other responses shortly. I appreciate everyone's input

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Will look into the extra perlite ty. Yes I did have thrips, but I haven't seen any in days now.

FYI, I haven't seen thrips since the last treatment, just posting so ppl can see that I had at one point
Little bastards! I may be wrong but It seems like read they emit a sticy black sooty residue from ingesting the chlorophyll and fungas grows there???

Turkish980

Turkish980

Little bastards! I may be wrong but It seems like read they emit a sticy black sooty residue from ingesting the chlorophyll and fungas grows there???

I thought it was them as well. And I think it was in some spots. But it seems it's happening in other places I didn't think the thrips were at but could be. I mean for the amount of spots I see, I would think I would have seen a thrip or 2 within the last week but who knows. But I'm still learning about how they can spread things thru eating so that makes sense too.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I thought it was them as well. And I think it was in some spots. But it seems it's happening in other places I didn't think the thrips were at but could be. I mean for the amount of spots I see, I would think I would have seen a thrip or 2 within the last week but who knows. But I'm still learning about how they can spread things thru eating so that makes sense too.
Aphids do the same thing. I have a brandywine tomato plant I suspect is infected by something they carried or blight. IDK. My Sour Diesel is getting it from all sides lol. I just found out I am not allowed to grow in my yard even if it is locked up. If they keep attacking it I may just yank it.

Turkish980

Turkish980

Here are some pics from just now. The plus side that I see, is that it seems the buds are recovering/looking better. At least the majority are, still some that have had most pistils burned off. Not as many though. It's going to need another flush today. Dry.

20200619 115838
20200619 115846
20200619 115854
20200619 115901
20200619 115915
20200619 115941
20200619 120007
20200619 120016
20200619 120028
Turkish980

Turkish980

I did another soil slurry from the side going down with the spoon. I went at least halfway down, if not farther. 2 to 1 water to soil and waited 15min, stirred etc. Also attaching my moisture level if that helps. Would this mean prior flushing fixed my potential soil issue and maybe it's taking a while to turn back around?

I'm also attaching a pic of ppms in EC format as well as ppm500. Now this is odd. Why would ppm500 be so close to my 700 number?

20200619 125427
20200619 130905
20200619 131007
20200619 131426
20200619 131602
Last edited:
Turkish980

Turkish980

I just flushed again and tested the run off. If this is helpful as well.

20200619 135711
20200619 135647
20200619 135832
20200619 135855
Turkish980

Turkish980

I also turned my inline fan down a bit, turned my dehumidifier across the room down some, and got the humidity back from 33% with light on today to 79-80 and 40% humidity.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I think mr. Bogart is correct, somehow I miss this picture
Screenshot 20200619 151636 Chrome

although I did mention that it could be some type of a root pest above, haven't dealt with aphids but I know they can also affect roots

they might be a good place to start your search Op because your numbers look good but your plant sure doesn't match the numbers! Sorry I didn't catch this sooner but we got it within 24 hours so hope it helps, good luck!
Screenshot 20200619 151622 Google

Screenshot 20200619 151612 Google
Last edited:
Turkish980

Turkish980

I think mr. Bogart is correct, somehow I miss this picture
View attachment 988505
although I did mention that it could be some type of a root pest above, haven't dealt with aphids but I know they can also affect roots

they might be a good place to start your search Op because your numbers look good but your plant sure doesn't match the numbers! Sorry I didn't catch this sooner but we got it within 24 hours so hope it helps, good luck!View attachment 988509

I ended up matching that up to be a carpet beetle I think. The one on the left. Never saw any on my main plant. That's kept separate. My smaller in veg plant had a few on it. Haven't seen any in a few days though.

Ac01bf1680aa2604d58e44398180ec92
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

they are called root aphids, they attack roots, to my eye it looks similar to your picture however I couldn't tell scale from your picture, about how big was that bug in your picture?

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I ended up matching that up to be a carpet beetle I think. The one on the left. Never saw any on my main plant. That's kept separate. My smaller in veg plant had a few on it. Haven't seen any in a few days though.
Wow first time I have heard of carpet beatle...huh! Always learning.

Turkish980

Turkish980

they are called root aphids, they attack roots, to my eye it looks similar to your picture however I couldn't tell scale from your picture, about how big was that bug in your picture?

This was one on my catnip plant. Fairly small. Maybe qtr / half size of a pencil eraser. Catnip plant is in a solo cup if that helps

20200616 184004
20200617 005331
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

This was one on my catnip plant. Fairly small. Maybe qtr / half size of a pencil eraser. Catnip plant is in a solo cup if that helps
Holy shit! That looks like a bug that's on my BlackBerry plants. They bore into the topped canes from the top where its dried. I've had my plants for 3 years now. First time I have seen those particular bugs....I wonder if its a root aphid. Huh

Edit:
Not what I saw lol IDK what the critter I saw is

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom