Time for yet another question?

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickcin

Rickcin

My girls are about 4 weeks old, auto flowers and I transplanted them a week ago into 5 gallon fabric pots.

I’ve since started watering them one time daily in the am since it’s right after the light and heater kicks on to warm them. They are in coco with 30% perlite and since they are small, I’m just circling the root ball with the water as you can see in the photo.

They are about 4 or 5 inches tall, is one watering enough❓Thanks

Time for yet another question
Time for yet another question 2
Jakecan

Jakecan

They are looking sexy! One watering is enough for sure. Allow them to dry out a little bit before watering more. Slowly work your way to the edges of the pot to allow the roots to grow more outwards. Good job though!

Rickcin

Rickcin

They are looking sexy! One watering is enough for sure. Allow them to dry out a little bit before watering more. Slowly work your way to the edges of the pot to allow the roots to grow more outwards. Good job though!
Thanks man, this is my first go-round and I would hate to not have it happen❗

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

They look really nice so far! I will say that you will want to start wetting the entire pot soon if not now and water to a 10-20% runoff to avoid salt build up that can happen in coco when allowed to dry back. I got some slight problems not doing that around this time when my plants were establishing roots. You might also want to look into frequent fertigation with coco as learning and implementing this practice has really been easy and almost fool proof for me on my first grow. I hope this helps. Also there is a good thread from @Aqua Man for watering in coco, also coco for cannabis dot com has a pretty good set of resources as well. But so far lovely looking plants and good work! Keep it up.

Rickcin

Rickcin

They look really nice so far! I will say that you will want to start wetting the entire pot soon if not now and water to a 10-20% runoff to avoid salt build up that can happen in coco when allowed to dry back. I got some slight problems not doing that around this time when my plants were establishing roots. You might also want to look into frequent fertigation with coco as learning and implementing this practice has really been easy and almost fool proof for me on my first grow. I hope this helps. Also there is a good thread from @Aqua Man for watering in coco, also coco for cannabis dot com has a pretty good set of resources as well. But so far lovely looking plants and good work! Keep it up.
Thanks for your comments! I’m also using this treatment when watering every other day that prevents root issues with calcium and negates the need to flush out the soil, if I’m understanding that correctly?

917D98A0 0978 468D A74E 81ED52B8E8F2
AmokNewb

AmokNewb

@Aqua Man correct me if I am wrong as I am a newbie learning here as well... But, for me I would not take the risk of not watering to runoff in coco. But, that being said I have not used anything but the bare minimum as far as additives and nutrients. Less is more. The most I put in my reservoir beyond my nutrients is a raw yucca as a wetting agent. Oh and H2O2 for my reservoir.

I have gotten what I feel to be really fast growing crop and very healthy following the basic watering principals for coco and have had a really great experience so far. My plants are at 5 weeks as of yesterday. 😁

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Always water to runoff in coco.
ALWAYS get the entire pot wet, not just around the plant.
"It makes roots grow better". That is a rumor and is not true. It actually cause hydrophobia. That is when the soil will not absorb water.
In coco its just as silly, but hydrophobia is not as much of an issue.

Rickcin

Rickcin

I’m using the three GH nutrients along with calmag and the uc root treatment every other day while using plain ph adjusted water on the other every other days.
Since my plants are small, I’m not getting any runoff in the saucers, however if I feel the bottoms of the fabric pots, they are wet!
Im also just watering once a day at this point in time.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Always water to runoff in coco.
ALWAYS get the entire pot wet, not just around the plant.
"It makes roots grow better". That is a rumor and is not true. It actually cause hydrophobia. That is when the soil will not absorb water.
In coco its just as silly, but hydrophobia is not as much of an issue.
I agree with this, also why I use Yucca in coco to make sure I drench everything even if it is a bit hydrophobic, and allows the roots to uptake better from my research.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man correct me if I am wrong as I am a newbie learning here as well... But, for me I would not take the risk of not watering to runoff in coco. But, that being said I have not used anything but the bare minimum as far as additives and nutrients. Less is more. The most I put in my reservoir beyond my nutrients is a raw yucca as a wetting agent. Oh and H2O2 for my reservoir.

I have gotten what I feel to be really fast growing crop and very healthy following the basic watering principals for coco and have had a really great experience so far. My plants are at 5 weeks as of yesterday. 😁
Absolutely right. The only time imo you don't need runoff is if your using organic amendments or slow release ferts.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

I’m using the three GH nutrients along with calmag and the uc root treatment every other day while using plain ph adjusted water on the other every other days.
Since my plants are small, I’m not getting any runoff in the saucers, however if I feel the bottoms of the fabric pots, they are wet!
Im also just watering once a day at this point in time.
I am using the same Nutrients with the addition of Diamond nectar and terpinator (got it free so I thought I would use it) you will want to use a nutrient solution every watering. I use a really good basic nutrient schedule based on the plants life cycles a bit diluted because as I said less is more and easier to fix. I then adjust as needed depending on what the plants are telling me they need.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Personally, if you are growing in soil, there is no good reason to ever 'feed' plants anything other than the soil.
The soil has everything the plant needs and what you add only overloads the poor plants.
Once the soil is amended with MBE's you don't add anything but water.
All this feeding and ppms and all that is silly from a soil point of view.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Absolutely right. The only time imo you don't need runoff is if your using organic amendments or slow release ferts.
Okay, I guess more water for my girls even though they are really youngings❗

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

What, the advice given here is to water the entire surface area of the pot and obtain runoff ❗️That’s a good amount of water for a tiny plant in a 5 gallon pot, in my humble opinion ❗
If you don't then you get buildup that can kill your plants if not handled.

Top Bottom