Timing of irrigations

• Thread starter Pepsauce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pepsauce

Pepsauce

Hey there, been having a debate with my father and another grower about the best feeding schedule for dtw coco in 2.5-5 gallon pots.

I've been set on 4 feedings a day. Theres 3 ideas we've been throwing around on timing feeds for the flower cycle.
One would be breaking up the whole cycle into even chunks and feeding accordingly:lights on, 6 hours later, lights out and 6 hours later.
Another would be breaking the Light cycle into 4 chunks: lights on, 4 hours later, 4 hours later and lights out.
The third idea (pretty sure i read in a book) would be sort of blend the first two ideas: lights on, 4.5 hours later, 4.5 hours later and again 7 hours later (4 hours into dark cycle)

Any idea's, input or variations???

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your plants are photos you are not going to have a long enough period of darkness to enduce flowering.

02trueblue

02trueblue

I don't like feeding during the dark cycle.. but a little bit to keep the medium moist wouldn't hurt.
I also like to let the lights run for an hour or two before feeding.

I'd do something like 1)1- 2 hours after lights on 2) 4 hours later 3) 4 hours after that 4) possible 4th feeding 4-8 hours after if needed
So most similar to your second idea.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
What gallons are you feeding ? in coco, we do the following in flower;
9am 15 mins feed , that equates to 2.6gals in a 3 gal plastic container.
2pm 15 mins
No feed during lights off.
Daily.
Every 3 feedings we do one water cycle
Feed is at 2700EC
Ro water with dosatron system.
48k plants per cycle so it takes a bit.
Understand it’s a winter run, in summer we increase the frequency to 3 x during lights on.
In veg we feed 4x spread over 24hrs same cycle , every 6 hours and seems 15 mins is plenty.

E03F713A E7F4 4958 A11E CF5547B55AD8
B005F337 BAC1 4E24 9D87 0C783562C2BD
DAAC689D 465A 43AB 8188 4E08490AC943
7ACBB55C E44B 436A A7CD DE41BFF2CB47
9E822175 6AC3 4BF0 8F72 D3BC1A43629B
bunkerking

bunkerking

@Jack og - you are giving them 2.5gal of water per pot per watering event? 4 times a day in a 3 gal pot? (In veg) Why so much run off?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
@Jack og - you are giving them 2.5gal of water per pot per watering event? 4 times a day in a 3 gal pot? Why so much run off?
We heavy feed and the plants this run were way too f’in tall so they eat like crazy. No burn. And it’s not quite coco, it’s pindstrup, which is a hybrid material and boy it works. Typical would be .5gals per pot. We just let some go and had to keep it fed to produce! And bro did they produce!!!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Normal runs they would be half that size! Lol
Yea that run last week harvest, they were topping 9-12 ft tall. We never flower bigger then 2 ft tall. So yea we tried this it was a pain in the rear and ain’t doing that again. Yields wise , honestly maybe 1600lbs more then usual, usual is 28-30k lbs so letting them go this big isn’t feasible nor a gain.

AtomicRoostr

AtomicRoostr

Normal runs they would be half that size! Lol
Yea that run last week harvest, they were topping 9-12 ft tall. We never flower bigger then 2 ft tall. So yea we tried this it was a pain in the rear and ain’t doing that again. Yields wise , honestly maybe 1600lbs more then usual, usual is 28-30k lbs so letting them go this big isn’t feasible nor a gain.
😳

bunkerking

bunkerking

interesting. I guess when dry powder is 4/10th cents a gallon lol. times 3 feeds a day is 1.2cents per pot per day. x 90 days = $1.08 food per plant, per 90 days.

just makes more sense to hammer hard with ppm's, flush with a larger volume. Cost of food isnt a problem, mostly just the cost of water?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Hey there, been having a debate with my father and another grower about the best feeding schedule for dtw coco in 2.5-5 gallon pots.

I've been set on 4 feedings a day. Theres 3 ideas we've been throwing around on timing feeds for the flower cycle.
One would be breaking up the whole cycle into even chunks and feeding accordingly:lights on, 6 hours later, lights out and 6 hours later.
Another would be breaking the Light cycle into 4 chunks: lights on, 4 hours later, 4 hours later and lights out.
The third idea (pretty sure i read in a book) would be sort of blend the first two ideas: lights on, 4.5 hours later, 4.5 hours later and again 7 hours later (4 hours into dark cycle)

Any idea's, input or variations???
3 gallon pots with single daily feeds
20190305 055023

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Nice garden!
I’m mixing 75 gallons at a time feeding about 17 gallons per feed over 36 plants. So just under .5 gals per plant...

Plants started way bigger than i’d like them to be
Nice plants! just seems like your reflectors for the Gavitas are throwing a lot of light on the walls with the 140 degrees reflectors. Are you running 1000 or the 750 ?

Pepsauce

Pepsauce

Nice plants! just seems like your reflectors for the Gavitas are throwing a lot of light on the walls with the 140 degrees reflectors. Are you running 1000 or the 750 ?

Yeah idk what we were thinking when we built out 3 years ago, it was a little overwhelming at the time, but we had been running 5 1000w de's over a row which is just over 15 feet long, weve been getting a lot of burn on our canopy from to much light. I put 150 degree reflectors on at the beginning of this round to try to spread light better and avoid burn... since then I shut off the 2nd and 4th light in the rows and am replacing them with gavitas new 630 CMH with the 4100k bulb for supplementation, just waiting for them to arrive. I figure it will help with the heat and hit the spectrum we arent hitting.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Yeah idk what we were thinking when we built out 3 years ago, it was a little overwhelming at the time, but we had been running 5 1000w de's over a row which is just over 15 feet long, weve been getting a lot of burn on our canopy from to much light. I put 150 degree reflectors on at the beginning of this round to try to spread light better and avoid burn... since then I shut off the 2nd and 4th light in the rows and am replacing them with gavitas new 630 CMH with the 4100k bulb for supplementation, just waiting for them to arrive. I figure it will help with the heat and hit the spectrum we arent hitting.
No problem, just my 750 will cover a 4x8 space with the standard reflector which I believe is a 120 degrees and that's with 7' ceiling height. Excuse the sideways video 😉.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What gallons are you feeding ? in coco, we do the following in flower;
9am 15 mins feed , that equates to 2.6gals in a 3 gal plastic container.
2pm 15 mins
No feed during lights off.
Daily.
Every 3 feedings we do one water cycle
Feed is at 2700EC
Ro water with dosatron system.
48k plants per cycle so it takes a bit.
Understand it’s a winter run, in summer we increase the frequency to 3 x during lights on.
In veg we feed 4x spread over 24hrs same cycle , every 6 hours and seems 15 mins is plenty.

Impressive is an understatement, but I'm seriously impressed.

I'm trying to process this,.. I usually refer to EC in single digits like 1.5 or 2.7 etc, are you saying 2.7ec when you say 2700EC? or 2700ppm? Either is much higher than I've ever had the balls to feed, but I certainly find it interesting. Do you run PeKacid or anything to keep the salts from crusting or just rely on the high volume irrigations to clear out excess?

Top Bottom